PDA

View Full Version : Hairspray makes it ........

Dr. Hank McCoy
June 27th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Alright, I'll admit I'm kinda a noob so I don't know a lot about hair care/styling products, :D so here's my question. Can hairspray make your hair softer and stay hydrated???

I'm living in Utah where it really really really dry! (srsly! I'm goign through chapstick like none other). My hair has never felt dry before, but a little while after moving up here it felt like I was wearing a straw wig :(. I tried using moisturizing shampoo/conditioner but that only helped a little. I finally bought so hairspray to keep "The Mop" in place after I let it dry. After the FIRST DAY of using it I noticed a HUGE differance in the softness of my hair. It seems a lot happier and healthier.

so..... is it the hairspray that did the trick, or am I just going crazy???:confused:

p.s I grew up in Arizona my whole life, and I've been living in Utah for anout 12-14 months now.

p.p.s "The Mop" is a nick-name for my hair :rolleyes:

spidermom
June 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Actually, hairspray is pretty notorious for drying your hair out.
Formulations do differ, however.

WaterMusic
June 27th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I don't use hair spray, so I don't know if I can help too much. Is it possible that the hair spray has a lot of cones, which is making your hair feel softer?

Also, spidermom, wow! That new siggie is amazing.

WaterMusic
June 27th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Double post. Sorry. :(

Diamond.Eyes
June 27th, 2012, 03:43 PM
What hair spray are you using? Excess hair spray will dry the hair out and make it sticky.

BlazingHeart
June 27th, 2012, 04:46 PM
You'd do better with something like aloe vera gel (obviously the clear stuff, not the green stuff). Hairspray is drying and can be quite damaging, if you move your hair after it's set. It kind of glues the hairs together, so it can damage hairs when they're pulled apart.

spidermom
June 27th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Not aloe vera. In a dry climate, it will pull the moisture out of your hair.
It's great in my wet climate and keeps my hair nice and moisturized.

christyrose
June 27th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Hair spray will dry your hair out... The only thing though I can think of is if you have super hot days and are out in the sun a lot, the sun could be making your hair crisper, and maybe the hairspray is coating it so its protecting it in a way? I would do a heat protecter serum or something along those lines and see if that does the same thing... I use hairspray a lot, and I am really trying to get away from using it ever because it dries out my hair almost more than a dye job has in the past! Its VERY drying... Not to mention my hair gets major build up from it... Which is to say maybe your hair has a lot of buildup and only appears to be soft but is actually getting more damaged.

Dr. Hank McCoy
June 28th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the info guys!

DreadfulWoman
June 28th, 2012, 10:34 AM

Just what I was thinking. I'm in Utah, too, and use aloe vera every time we actually have enough moisture in the air for it to work nicely. I believe it's happened a total of 3 times this year, so yeah.

Your best bet would probably be a humectant free styling gel, although you're going to have a heck of a time finding one.

On the other hand, if you feel like the hairspray you were using was working well, I say go for it.

Dr. Hank McCoy
June 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM

OK! I think that might be the problem. I bought shampoo that has "Moisturizing Aloe vera" in it. I'll have to try something different and see if that helps..... any suggestions? (keeping in mynd that I'm on a students budget :p)

and.... just because I can........:yumm:.......:draw:.........:guns:

jacqueline101
June 29th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I don't like actual hair spray I've made sugar water and put in a spray bottle works great and cheap.

heidi w.
June 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM
IF you're using aerosol hairspray, this hairspray is known to really dry hair out. The newer kinds of hairsprays might do a bit better, but generally, us long haired purists don't recommend the use of any hairspray. I wonder if aloe vera gel might help you better? You might consider experimenting. And beware of hairspray fetish websites....they exist!!

heidi w.

dollyfish
June 29th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Hair spray not only dries hair out, but it glues strands together, making them rip when they pull apart, so it definitely does not make your hair softer!

I recommend using an oil. Perhaps almond oil, as it's pretty light. This shouldn't evaporate the way something like aloe vera gel would in a dry climate.