PDA

View Full Version : This is a must read, espcially for the newbie

Arden
June 27th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I ran accross this artical via a thread on naturallycurly.com

It seems geared towards the curlies but there is an excellect explination on sulfates and silicones and there are even some suggestions for cheap products.. and by cheap I mean like Sauve and VO5 - like super cheap

It is probably the most compleat explination I have ever found. Alot of you guys who have been doing long hair care for years may already know all this, but personally I feel it is a most read for anyone intrested in quality hair care and especially for the newbie

http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

DarkCurls
June 27th, 2012, 03:39 PM
He... I actually read that before I even discovered LHC. I found NC.com before LHC, and I remember reading that post and being very interested (I have since become a CO-washer :p so...).

I found it very informative; it was probably my first introduction to "alternative" washing methods.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 27th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks Arden, that makes me pretty keen to stop using shampooing. The conditioner I use at the moment is Clairol Nice'n Easy Colourseal conditioning gloss weekly conditioning treatment which I like but it has no list of ingredients i notice - guess its probably got the nasties in - does anyone know? Might have to get some VO5 anyway...Oh I do an oil treatment before I wash, use 1 - tablespoons of oil. Would a CO wash remove all that?

Arden
June 27th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks Arden, that makes me pretty keen to stop using shampooing. The conditioner I use at the moment is Clairol Nice'n Easy Colourseal conditioning gloss weekly conditioning treatment which I like but it has no list of ingredients i notice - guess its probably got the nasties in - does anyone know? Might have to get some VO5 anyway...Oh I do an oil treatment before I wash, use 1 - tablespoons of oil. Would a CO wash remove all that?

I dont know why it doesnt have an ingredents list, the FDA requires ingredients to be listed on packaging.. did it come in a box maybe? They can get around it if they put the ingredients on the outter packaging...

I would bare to guess it probably does have the nasties if it says "colorseal" though

firegypsy
June 27th, 2012, 04:29 PM
This is pushing me harder to make COing work. So far it hasn't, but I'm pretty stubborn....

Alvrodul
June 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Interesting article. My hair didn't jump for joy over COing - I tried it for a while, but quit. I have discovered CV poo bars, and my hair does love those.
But keeping CO is something I keep in mind for emergencies - like forgetting the poo bar and not wanting to use the SLSy shampoo that would have been the alternative.

KwaveT
June 27th, 2012, 08:08 PM
CO is something that I wish that I would have never tried. I did not have the problem that I have now before I did it. Now I get these little brown looking pieces that form right at the hair line of my scalp and just stay there. They form nowhere else but at the hairline. They have to be combed out and when I do I end up taking hair with it. If I don't get rid of them for a while they will flat out clump on the comb when I remove them. I don't know what is causing it. I went back to my old routine of using shampoo and conditioner but now they won't disappear. I have had dandruff most of my life and these suckers are worse than dandruff. Dandruff is flakes but these pieces can clump into large chunks if they aren't removed every week.

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 09:24 AM
CO is something that I wish that I would have never tried. I did not have the problem that I have now before I did it. Now I get these little brown looking pieces that form right at the hair line of my scalp and just stay there. They form nowhere else but at the hairline. They have to be combed out and when I do I end up taking hair with it. If I don't get rid of them for a while they will flat out clump on the comb when I remove them. I don't know what is causing it. I went back to my old routine of using shampoo and conditioner but now they won't disappear. I have had dandruff most of my life and these suckers are worse than dandruff. Dandruff is flakes but these pieces can clump into large chunks if they aren't removed every week.

Yea to be hounest I dont think COwashing would be good for someone with true dandruff. And it sounds like you have it.... Have you seen a doctor for it?

starry
August 19th, 2012, 05:48 AM
thanks for posting this Arden. Im going to try co washing this week. :)

florenonite
August 19th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Eh, I'm not bothered by having the same surfactant in my dish soap as in my hair. My dishes have grease, my hair has grease ... :shrug:

Of course, CO also made me shed enough to stuff a pillow without even making my hair presentably clean :p

goldloli
August 19th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Eh, I'm not bothered by having the same surfactant in my dish soap as in my hair. My dishes have grease, my hair has grease ... :shrug:

Of course, CO also made me shed enough to stuff a pillow without even making my hair presentably clean :p
LOL, pretty much this.

Never has my hair looked so dull, dry and crunchy as when I went sulphate and cone free, also there were scalp itchies and spots. CO itself resulted in limp locks and hairfall, I took this as a sign of over moisturising on the length and sebum buildup at the roots. If I'm really mean to my hair with overwashing and its dry, then I will sometimes cowash the length... but i wouldn't want anyone to see the limp/soft/greasy aftermath for fear of them thinking im a hobo.

I actually find my sls shampoo to create more shine than any of those routines. Dabbling with the idea of cleansing conditioner every other wash as they contain more surfactants than standard CO.

I wish there were some articles about alternative hair wash trouble shooting, like what to try if you've had x reaction to x method.

Chimom79
August 19th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks! Gonna go read it now. ;-)