PDA

View Full Version : Radical change of environment and hair.

Carissamarie08
June 27th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Just a quick question. Can a radical change of weather and environment cause hair to grow like a weed suddenly? I recently moved from Alaska and I am on leave in Arkansas to visit my family. I get my hair highlighted and I recently got my roots done last Tuesday. Since then I swear my hair has already grown almost a half inch! I'm moving to Hawaii on Sarurday and maybe I'll see yet another change, I don't know! ... But I like it.

hafattack
June 27th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I believe that it does. I have recently moved from Iowa (warm summers but brutal winters) to sunny, beautiful, tasty North Carolina and ever since then my hair has grown like a weed, after cutting out some chlorine damage. (it was about that time that I found LHC and starting taking care of my hair.
Many women down here have very long hair. I starting going to a Pentacostal church where tailbone length hair is still considered short. One friend has not had her hair cut in all of her 21 years. It is pretty wonderful for a future long hair to see! :)
So in my experience, YES a warmer climate means longer hair. Would love to see a scientific reason for this!

Tisiloves
June 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Warmer enviroments might up hair growth as your body uses less energy keeping thermostasis or it might be an up in vit D levels as your sun exposure increases.

heidi w.
June 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Actually, yesterday on Dr. Oz, he highlighted with a known weather reporter how weather can actually influence health, and as a discovered allergy-attack person, summer is now hell for me. The humidity is hard on me, and I despise it. If it affects me this way, I don't see why weather can't influence hair's general behavior. I know when I was in Florida for a little more than a week a number of summer's back, my usual oiling protocol ended up being this wet, sloppy mess, most of the time. I couldn't even put on what little I did. I have had to get used to snow and winter weather, which has influenced my hair's behavior a little bit. Everything is different from my home spot: Bay Area, California. Ahhh, I miss those afternoon sea breezes. So yep, weather matters, and hair where you live now may not be hair where you eventually end up living. I went from a semi-arid climate to something else I can't really describe. It's definitely a lot wetter, although right now you'd never know it. It's been so hot the earth is pound hard, and dry and the grass is almost burnt brown.

heidi w.

kitekats
June 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Lucky girl ;), I'm also hoping that warmer climate may turn on my hair growth, but nothing so far...