PDA

View Full Version : Diluting oil?

SopphireGem
June 27th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Will diluting oil, such as jojoba oil, with water work well on the hair? If I apply oil directly to my hair, it always seems to make my hair look greasy, so I was wondering if diluting it would prevent it making my hair look greasy. What proportion of oil and water should I use?

afu
June 27th, 2012, 09:12 AM
water and oil will not mix, they will simply seperate. are you wanting to oil as a leave in or as a pre-wash treatment?

SopphireGem
June 27th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I was planning to use the oil as a leave in. Would the oil work if I shook it with the water in a bottle immediately before pouring it on my hair?

meteor
June 27th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Yep, I like mixing oil with water, shaking the bottle and pouring it over just washed hair as a final rinse. Great for detangling and shine.

afu
June 27th, 2012, 09:39 AM
no there would be absolutly no point in doing that. You are best to just rub it on your hands, just enough to get a glossy sheen, then gently smooth over ends and length. If you have problems distributing the oil you can brush it through afterwards. Not all oils work for all hair types, if you are finding an oil too heavy/greasy even in tiny amounts try something lighter. Examples of heavy oils are jojoba and castor, light oils include broccoli seed, sweet almond and apricot then there are those in the middle such as coconut

kitschy
June 27th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I put my oil on wet hair.

meteor
June 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM
no there would be absolutly no point in doing that. You are best to just rub it on your hands, just enough to get a glossy sheen, then gently smooth over ends and length.
I think this method is great for oiling dry hair. And that's what seems to work beautifully for light daily oilings.
But there is something to be said for oiling damp/wet hair, too. In certain situations misting hair with a spray mix of oil and water is great. It's very easy to over-oil wet and damp hair (because you don't see the result before the hair has dried), so a mix of oil and water is a good solution IMHO.

Unicorn
June 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I think this method is great for oiling dry hair. And that's what seems to work beautifully for light daily oilings.
But there is something to be said for oiling damp/wet hair, too. In certain situations misting hair with a spray mix of oil and water is great. It's very easy to over-oil wet and damp hair (because you don't see the result before the hair has dried), so a mix of oil and water is a good solution IMHO.
This would be too much for most European hair unless you're referring to a few drops to a substantial amount if water.

Unicorn

Anywhere
June 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I feel oil in a spray bottle sounds like a horrid idea, at least for my hair.:o

I think putting a drop (like an actual drop) of oil into your hand, and then a dollop of water, rubbing that together, and then putting it on the hair would work better, and you would have better control of how much oil or water gets into the mix and onto your hair. Over-oiling is a pain.

Gingerbear
June 28th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I have Jojoba oil in my shower. I apply a small amount to my hands and rub it on my legs (I have dry skin). Then, I transfer the extra little bit left on my palms to my hair by running my hands over the surface of my wet hair. Finally, I stick my head in and out of the water one more time, which I feel like helps to disperse the oil. That seems to work fairly well without giving me a greasy look.

Also, I do have some leave in conditioner in a spray bottle that I add a few drops of Argan and avocado oil to. I shake it up before I spritz and use it as a leave in.

These are my two main methods for daily oiling. Whenever I add oil to dry hair, it always looks oily and separates, no matter how little I try to use.

Natalia
June 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM
oil and water wont mix no matter how much you shake it. if you like to tinker you can get some emulsifying wax to well emulsify the two but then you have to refrigerate it or add a preservative. simpler path is to experiment with your application amount and method. my hair for the most part hates to be oiled when wet other people sar by it but it doesnt work for me. everyone is different.

jacqueline101
June 28th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I dilute oil with water and mist over hair you have to shake well before applying.

jeanniet
June 28th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Water and oil in a fine mist sprayer works very well--you just have to shake it up hard before spraying. Shaking breaks the oil into fine droplets and then the water simply distrbutes it. I would do at least a 10:1 ratio, though.

catamonica
June 30th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I just use a spray bottle. Four capfuls of olive oil & water. I leave it on eight minutes. Then shampoo. It makes your hair softer. Less dry.

McFearless
June 30th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Jojoba oil doesn't penetrate the hair shaft. It sits on the surface and may be the reason you get greasy hair.