PDA

View Full Version : Jojoba oil after washing

SopphireGem
June 27th, 2012, 09:01 AM
How should I apply jojoba oil to my hair after washing my hair with baking soda? How much should I use? Everytime I use it, it seems to make my hair greasy even when hardly using much.
I've mixed oil with my baking soda and water before, but that seems to stop the baking soda cleaning my hair properly and it just comes out greasy.

Zesty
June 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
A lot of people (myself included) seem to have this problem with jojoba, probably because it just sits on top of the hair and doesn't absorb at all. I would try just a light sheen on your hands and run it over your damp ends, then wipe the rest off on your length. But frankly I prefer olive oil on damp hair right after washing, it partially absorbs and makes my hair softer than jojoba ever did. So consider that jojoba just might not be the right oil for your hair.

lilliemer
June 27th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Are you following up the baking soda with something acidic like apple cider vinegar to seal the cuticle back down? Baking soda can raise the cuticle and I wonder if this affects how the oil is absorbed or distributed in your hair if you are oiling without restoring the cuticle to its proper state with an acid rinse.

heidi w.
June 27th, 2012, 12:48 PM
If you're using Baking Soda as the cleansing agent to replace shampoo, stop doing that. Baking Soda hair washes are ONLY intended for a home recipe for clarifying the hair. Baking Soda is highly drying and harsh on the hair and is intended only for clarifying the hair, which is typically not done very often.

Do not mix baking soda with oil or vinegar of any sort. If you mix baking soda and your vinegar, you've made a drain declogger concoction, and you risk losing some hair!

Do things separately. Oil separately. Vinegar rinse separately.

If you don't know what a clarify hair wash is, ask and make sure you understand it. Wash your hair with shampoo or conditioner only if you like, but not with Baking Soda.

If you clarify your hair, you can add in the oil in one of two basic methods, depending on what your hair type is. If you're reporting the oil just kind of gunks up your hair, there are two probable causes. 1. You're using too much. 2. You're a curly or waving haired enough gal that you should likely apply it while your hair is still wet/damp. Only straighter hair types can get away with applying oil on dry hair. However, it remains possible that you could still be using too much, which is a very common newbie start oiling issue. Super common.

Wavy haired to curly hair should spritz on the oil while hair is still damp and allow it to dry into the hair while the hair is air drying. ETA: Wavy haired to curly haired people tend to also have somewhat more coarser hair by nature, and this is another reason oiling may need to be done while the hair is still damp to wet. END ETA

I hope this is somewhat helpful to you.

heidi w.