PDA

View Full Version : Greener Packaging

Red89
June 26th, 2012, 08:14 PM
For a while now I've been trying to be greener. However, since I do a lot of COing many of my products come in plastic containers (my shampoo does as well). Does anyone know of where I could try and have greener, less plastic supplies? I love that my coconut oil comes in a glass container but I also enjoy using jojoba and sweet almond oil. Do these come in better containers?

Bunnysaur
June 26th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Do you have a plastic recycling program in your area? I know it's not the best, but it's probably the most feasible.

Natalia
June 26th, 2012, 08:54 PM
For a while now I've been trying to be greener. However, since I do a lot of COing many of my products come in plastic containers (my shampoo does as well). Does anyone know of where I could try and have greener, less plastic supplies? I love that my coconut oil comes in a glass container but I also enjoy using jojoba and sweet almond oil. Do these come in better containers?

if you have a staple product some companies offer bulk sizes that stores dont often stock. then there is the shipping issue but you have to weigh that for yourself if its worth it. other than reuse and recycle thats about all i can think of. i have seen cute mod podge lotion and condish bottles turned into cell phone holders you can find directions online.

picklepie
June 26th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Where I live, natural food stores often carry shampoo bars wrapped in paper, and a small selection of bulk shampoos, conditioners, and liquid soaps that you can dispense into your own (reusable) container. I admit that I stopped COing for the packaging reason-- it just felt wrong, when I worked so hard to reduce consuming wasteful packaging in other areas of my life.

torrilin
June 26th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Step 1: I found products where I got a good effect from a small quantity of product. Even if I'm going totally out there for curl effect with my fave leave in conditioner, I use about half the amount I did of Garnier Triple Nutrition. Normally it's in the pea to quarter size blob range, which is about 1/10 to 1/4 the product I used to use.

Step 2: wash less often. when I started hanging out around here, I washed with shampoo and conditioner 2-3 times a week, and I felt that I needed *some* product every time my hair got wet. after about 2 years, I'm down to 1-2 washes a week, and I find I don't always need product on wet hair.

step 3: buy big sizes so I use up fewer bottles per year.

We've got mandatory recycling, so used up bottles go in recycle.