PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch to sulfate free shampoo?

cutiepie11
June 26th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Sooo basically my scalp is itchy, dry and flaky and it sucks. My hair line and top of my forehead is flaky too and it never used to be since I started washing my hair upside down and I think the shampoo is getting on my skin. I dilute my shampoo and oil my scalp but it doesn't help much... it's not really bad or anything but it's annoying and it doesn't look great as you can imagine. I think normal shampoos might be too harsh for me and I do have mild eczema but it's not near my face/hair. So do you think switching to non-sulfate shampoo would help me?

IvanaGil
June 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I switched to sulfate free about 4 months ago. I think it's helped a bit since I am prone to dandruff because my skin is horribly dry everywhere on my body. I did a coconut oil treatment once and it took my flakes away for about 2 months! It was great. I also use coconut oil on my face and it's perfect for my sensitive skin.

GlennaGirl
June 26th, 2012, 05:28 PM
What kind of sulfate-free shampoo is everyone using?

chou
June 26th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I don't have a dry scalp, but I do have very dry hair and I've found that many sls-free shampoos still dry my hair out badly because they contain cocamidopropyl betaine, which is included in nearly all sls-free shampoos, was still far too harsh for me. It's worth a try though to see if you are specifically sensitive to sls. Soap-based shampoos such as shampoo bars might be something to try as well.

johnnystiletto
June 26th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I absolutely ADORED the Aussie Cleanse & Mend collection for YEARS. Tried going to SLS-free shampoos, and always came back to the Aussie. I also spent a good 6 months trying desperately to make Chagrin Valley shampoo bars work for me, to no avail.

Finally, the Aussie started giving me scalp flakies LIKE WHOA. I used clarifying shampoos, did ACV rinses, oiled, even bought the gross OTC dandruff shampoos. Nothing.

I eventually transitioned over to Nature's Gate herbal shampoo & conditioner; the newest formulation is SLS-free, and the scent is nice and earthy, without being too 'hippie'. I LOVE it, and have been using it for over a year now, so this isn't a 'honeymoon period' for me.

FWIW, I tried (and disliked): Jason Biotin, Kiss My Face Whenever, Yes to Carrots S&C, and the Giovanni (sorry, can't recall which one).

Tisiloves
June 26th, 2012, 06:27 PM
The "Naked" range of shampoo and conditioners are free of a lots of stuff.

swearnsue
June 26th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I think it would be worth a try to go SLS free. There are plenty of choices at affordable prices. I use Finesse Clean and Simple Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Color Treated Hair. It's still pretty strong so I dilute it but it has a shorter than average list of ingredients and a very light scent.

bumblebums
June 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM
It is possible that you could have a fungal infection of the scalp, and that an anti-dandruff shampoo is the thing to try. I used the Neutrogena T-Gel stuff for a while, which my scalp really liked...

My scalp does not like shampoo, but the Conditioner Only method agrees with it pretty well. I use Suave Tropical Coconut usually--slather on a good 1/4 cup on your wet hair, let sit for 15 min, rinse thoroughly. That's all. Cheap but effective.

IvanaGil
June 26th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I used Aveeno sulfate-free

holothuroidea
June 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I've tried a lot of sulfate free shampoos and always go back to California Baby, in spite of it's price. They started putting protein in their formulation (hydrolyzed quinoa) a couple of months ago so I just use the bubble bath which has the same ingredients as the old shampoo.

I dilute it heavily in a plastic squeeze bottle, shake it up and clean with the foam. It lasts forever that way.

gonzobird
June 26th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I lovvvve label m lemon grass shampoo and conditioner, john masters organics, yarok, and Amazon beauty stuff. I too tried shampoo bars and no go. I also love to put a few drops of neem oil in my yarok root boost a d rub it in my scalp. Works wonders for flakes. Neem oil is wonderful stuff.

Silverbrumby
June 26th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I switched to sulfate free about 4 months ago. I think it's helped a bit since I am prone to dandruff because my skin is horribly dry everywhere on my body. I did a coconut oil treatment once and it took my flakes away for about 2 months! It was great. I also use coconut oil on my face and it's perfect for my sensitive skin.

I love coconut oil on my skin. Best skin treatment ever.

Silverbrumby
June 26th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I have tried the L'Oreal range and love the Everstrong shampoo. My hair has changed for the better since using it.

Natalia
June 26th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Sooo basically my scalp is itchy, dry and flaky and it sucks. My hair line and top of my forehead is flaky too and it never used to be since I started washing my hair upside down and I think the shampoo is getting on my skin. I dilute my shampoo and oil my scalp but it doesn't help much... it's not really bad or anything but it's annoying and it doesn't look great as you can imagine. I think normal shampoos might be too harsh for me and I do have mild eczema but it's not near my face/hair. So do you think switching to non-sulfate shampoo would help me?

i have terrible eczema no where near my face and i cant go within 200 miles of sulphates. just aweful for me i cant even use most of the typical sulphate replacments im mostly wo so it doesnt matter much anymore but when i need to i use aubreys. i hope your itching gets better

poppy81
June 27th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I did recently and my hair is thanking me for it. I use a product called 'silk' in the moroccan range and I am liking it so far.

mckellyn
June 27th, 2012, 06:35 AM

Same. I've noticed a difference in my dandruff since switching to sulfate-free, but when I switched I also started doing oil treatments on my scalp with olive and coconut oil.

I think the oil treatments, combined with less-harsh shampoos, help with dandruff and itchiness.

Phalaenopsis
June 27th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Going sulfatefree helped me a lot with flakes and redness. Definitely worth a try :)
I would like to give suggestions, but all those shampoos would have to be ordered through the internet.