PDA

View Full Version : Short to shoulder length... How long did it take you?

christyrose
June 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
If you have had a , pixie, or ear length hair, how long did it take you to to grow it to touching the shoulders. Not necessarily past the shoulders, but just touching them slightly. Also how long did it take from your chin length hair to your shoulders. I am starting out with short hair and I am impatient and it feels like its going to take forever to even get to my shoulders. Once I am there I feel like it will still be a long time to my goal, but easier to not use heat and products on than now! (Oh and I know I can measure and go with how 1/2 inch a month, but I would rather hear others stories than try to guess as I dont know how long my hair grows each month)

SerinaDaith
June 26th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I chopped to my chin right before I joined here mid may and my hair is already down to midneck, I figure by mid July to August my hair will be shoulder length again as long as my hair keeps up this turbo growth rate of .75 inches. I'll probably hit APL in six months to a year and if I'm lucky I'll hit BSL in two. After that it'll all be new territory for me!

jojo
June 26th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I think it took me about a year roughly, but i have a ridiculously long neck! you will get there!

SerinaDaith
June 26th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hair growth is probably the first time in my life I have been glad to be 5'2".

giovanna93
June 26th, 2012, 04:54 PM
In July 2011, if I straightened my hair, it would just cover the tips of my ears. Now, if its straight it reaches just grazes my shoulders. So about a year roughly :)

spidermom
June 26th, 2012, 05:09 PM
18 months, I think. It was a long time ago. I had lots of trims (every 6-8 weeks).

SerinaDaith
June 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM
By the way Spidermom your hair looks awesome!

chou
June 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM
It depends on whether you define shoulder as the longest pieces on the back of your head reaching shoulder, or getting there all around. It took me 1 year from a shaggy pixie cut (around ear length) to shoulder in both back and front. Don't try to plan by exact inches down the back of your neck, though, unless you want a shoulder length mullet with ear-length front sections. I had pieces of hair brushing shoulder length in the back 6 months in to growing out my pixie cut but it didn't look like shoulder length to me because the front was still at my cheekbones. I cut to an even bob and grew to shoulder in an additional 6 months.
It feels good to be at shoulder, but now I desperately want to hit APL!

blaketob
June 26th, 2012, 05:30 PM
about a year unfortunately :(

riceball
June 26th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Like everyone else, it took about a year. I had a crazy mullet looking thing for a while, so the tip of the mullet was at my shoulders way before everything else. It was horrible but I didn't cut it off. I think I trimmed it gradually.

lundmir
June 26th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Without trims, it took me about 8 months, more or less. But I do have above average monthly growth.

CurlyCap
June 26th, 2012, 06:21 PM
About a year.

It seemed like forever because of all the mullety stages, but it does pass. Right now, I'm at 1.5 years, and finally being over shoulder makes a world of difference in how long your hair feels.

You'll get there!

kdaniels8811
June 26th, 2012, 07:55 PM
It took me a year to go from bald to touching shoulder, then another year, almost to get to APL. August will be two years growing from bald. There is a great support thread for super shorties and another for shoulder to APL. Helps to grow with friends.

Hijack - Spidermom - your hair is beautiful, love the long layers! End hijack...

christyrose
June 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks for all the response!! I seriously was hoping that it would only take 6 month... I know that is about half of what its probably going to take now. I had convinced myself that it would happen by Christmas time. Well my birthday was a couple days ago, so I guess my new timeline is before my next birthday. So sad :( I always get so impatient and cut it at the awkward in between stage and I am glad I found this group so I can fight threw it! Looking at all of your beautiful long hair is super motivating! Thanks.

swearnsue
June 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I took a little less than a year for the back to reach shoulders but my front still isn't there yet. So I would say for all around to reach shoulders, plan on a year and a half.

pink.sara
June 27th, 2012, 03:51 AM
It took about a year from an inch all over to a shoulder length bob.

And from a very angled POB (chin at front and shaved up 3 or 4 inches at the back) to a straight shoulder bob was about 8 months as the front pieces and nape bits needed trimming often to avoid mullet hair. :)

millyaulait
June 27th, 2012, 04:45 AM
A year & a half for me.

longhairedwolf
June 27th, 2012, 06:41 AM
From a little above chin to a little below shoulder took 11 months.

Audhumla
June 27th, 2012, 07:48 AM
It took me about a year to get from just above chin length to a little past shoulder length.

Jing
June 27th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I still had a pixie cut in early August 2010 and hit shoulder in early December 2011. That's with occasional trims in the back to stave off the mullet. I think I did my last anti-mullet trim in May 2011, leaving me at chin length.

dollyfish
June 27th, 2012, 10:18 AM
From ear-length to APL took me exactly a year. I hit shoulder after maybe 9-10 months.

christyrose
June 27th, 2012, 09:21 PM
From ear-length to APL took me exactly a year. I hit shoulder after maybe 9-10 months.
Thats not too bad! I hope I can say the same! I would love to be at apl by next june!

christyrose
December 15th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Just an update: I was at ear length when I wrote this now 5 1/2 months later I am close to getting to my shoulder!! The back is shoulder length and the front is 1/2" from brushing my shoulders. I am thinking by June I may have a chance of getting close to apl by June now! So excited that I am going to at least come close to we're I wanted to be!

cooklaezo13
December 15th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I grew from an ear-length angled bob to most of my hair just touching shoulder in six months.

HairFaerie
December 15th, 2012, 01:16 PM
In 2011, I got a pixie cut in July and it reached shoulder in February (7 months). Stupidly, I have had two more pixie cuts since then. :(
This year, I started growing from pixie in July again and I am hoping for the winter growth spurts to get to shoulder by February.
My hair grows about a half inch per month in the summer but in the winter months, I can sometimes get 2 inches per month.

biogirl87
December 15th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I don't think I ever had hair shorter about mid neck. Last time my hair was at mid-neck was in January 2011 and by June 2011 it was touching my shoulders if I remember correctly. That was without trims though and in my days of using Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship shampoo and no conditioner. Stay patient. You'll be there before you know it.

oktobergoud
December 15th, 2012, 02:17 PM
It took me about 18 months.. my hair was about an inch all over AND I got it cut professionally several times in between, so I grew out a asymmetrical bob to shoulder-length! If I hadn't got it bobbed several times, it would have gone faster!

browneyedsusan
December 15th, 2012, 02:49 PM
7 months. See siggy.
The back is at shoulder now, but the front isn't yet. The May photo is after a 1/2" neckline trim in April. No trims after that. I started growing in March, but don't have any pictures. It was about 3" on top and tapered to a shave over my ears and on my neck when I started growing it out.

browneyedsusan
December 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hi Christyrose! :) :) :)

HintOfMint
December 15th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I had a sort of "emo" cut (short and spiky in the back with long bangs), which I grew into a bob that was shorter in the back and slightly longer in the front. From the bob (safely chin length or shorter) to grazing shoulder, it took about 10 months, although I can't recall if I had a trim in that time. It wasn't a horrible wait in my memory.