PDA

View Full Version : Hair and bacne

IvanaGil
June 26th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I've read a few articles here and there about acne on your back and the culprit, according to these articles, is conditioner. So I would like to know if any WO members get bacne? Do shoulder length and shorter get bacne? I know I've had my share of breakouts, but I just thought it was a long hair thing.
If you're not too shy to say, do you get bacne?

caadam
June 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM
When I was WO for four months, I didn't get bacne (I find that word amusing :3 ). I'm CO now and I still don't get bacne, nor when I was CO for almost a year before I was WO.

IvanaGil
June 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM
When I was WO for four months, I didn't get bacne (I find that word amusing :3 ). I'm CO now and I still don't get bacne, nor when I was CO for almost a year before I was WO.

Bacne made me laugh when I first heard it too :p
Lucky you. I find that I break out at random times, so I don't know if it's the conditioner or PMS symptoms.

Nightshade
June 26th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I think often times that's from a lot of extra conditioner running down the back and not getting cleansed off. I try to rinse conditioner out of my hair with my head to the side so it doesn't run down my back. That seems to fix it for me :)

Elithia
June 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I used to have this problem. Now I condition and dry myself off with my head turned upside down, then plop, then get dressed, and don't let my hair down till I have clothes on -- and the acne went away.

Tabihito
June 26th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I used to get bacne when I had a G.I. Jane-esque cut and wasn't using conditioner. I don't have it now, and I have much longer hair and use a lot of conditioner. If you're rinsing properly, it doesn't make much sense as a culprit anyhow.

SoulOfTheSea
June 26th, 2012, 02:34 PM
After I am done rinsing my conditioner out, I hold my hair up and then wash my back and rinse. This way nothing gets in your hair, and the conditioner that goes down your back when rinsed is washed off. That's how I prevent it.

Of course a lot of it is genetics anyways.

AcornMystic
June 26th, 2012, 02:43 PM
When I tried WO for some of July and then August of last year I was excited to use a method where I didn't have to spend more money on my hair than was necessary and be able to really live the all natural life in that regard. Boy, was I wrong. My back did break out and I got little ouchy acne on my neck and closer to my hairline. I have a photo of me at the end of my grease-ball days in my album.

I don't know how much of it had to do with my diet though. Perhaps if I'd eaten more fruits and vegetables, and less meat and just greasy foods in general, I could have done it. I am trying to slowly transition to a poulo-pescatarian diet. The fish won't help in the oily regard, but at least I'd be ingesting more healthy oils that my body could actually process and utilize that might not contribute so much to that. I'm hesitant to go back to trying the WO method, especially now that I have a job. I wasn't employed at the time and could afford to experiment. I have to wear my hair up for work as it is in the food services, but I still don't much care for the ever-constant greased back look. We'll just see how things go I suppose.

sugarpixie10988
June 26th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I was WO from late December until about a month ago and I never got bacne. I'm back to CO and have no skin issues because of it. I used to get it pretty badly when I used coney conditioners. When I went cone free my back completely cleared up.

Nightshade
June 26th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I was WO from late December until about a month ago and I never got bacne. I'm back to CO and have no skin issues because of it. I used to get it pretty badly when I used coney conditioners. When I went cone free my back completely cleared up.

It's cones for me, too. No issue with cone-free stuff :)

PolarCathy
June 26th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Had to check in just to see what bacne meant. Had no idea (non-native). :cool:

IvanaGil
June 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I rinse my back thoroughly after conditioning, but it still feels slimey. I think I'll need to buy one of those back sponges