PDA

View Full Version : Need some hair help

summerstarlet
June 26th, 2012, 01:52 PM
So I trust the knowledge of everyone here and I wish to use said knowledge. The ends of my hair have become difficult. I'm using Yes to Carrots Nourishing Shampoo and Conditioner and I do weekly SMT's and heavy coconut oilings to help with protein. I use a natural hair butter after I was my hair as a leave in. I don't want to cut my hair because I JUST passed BSL and I don't want to cut until October or November to tidy it up. I do apple cider vinegar rinses with a very low dilution. I don't really S&D because I don't want my hair to become uneven and I don't have proper trimming shears. So my question is: How can I improve the ends of my hair? They seem dry and almost fly away but not quite velcro. I'm counting on you guys! :D TIA

ETA: I also only wash my hair ever 2 or 3 days. I tried CO washing but my hair became limp even after I had clarified.

Madora
June 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Maybe cutback on what you're putting on your hair. Sounds like you're doing too much.

spidermom
June 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM
If you haven't used a clarifying shampoo from scalp to ends of your hair in a good long while, do so. Conditioning agents build up and make your hair feel rough and dry.

Then do a deep moisture treatment, either something over the counter, SMT (recipe in articles), or an oil. Coconut and olive oil are both good, but there are others. I'll let other people tell you about them.

caadam
June 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM
You might be experiencing some buildup considering the amount of product you're using every week. Weekly SMTs, heavy oilings, leave-in, along with regular S&C... that can all build up at a steady rate, if not a quick one.

I suggest that you try to clarify with a sulfate shampoo, or with baking soda diluted in water. That way you can start fresh and get rid of anything that might be affecting your ends. I don't think you need to cut them, but you might need to treat them.

summerstarlet
June 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Maybe cutback on what you're putting on your hair. Sounds like you're doing too much.

I would cut back but this has been what I've been doing for about 6 months now. My hair was happy and something just changed. Granted I have just added the vinegar rinses recently.

caadam
June 26th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Ah yes... like spidermom said, a moisture treatment after clarifying is very beneficial. Wouldn't want your hair to be even drier. Oi. lol

You can use your coconut oil, or olive oil, jojoba oil, and many others. I can't think of any others right now because I'm feeling kind of ready for a nap. xD Heh.

Zesty
June 26th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I would cut back but this has been what I've been doing for about 6 months now. My hair was happy and something just changed. Granted I have just added the vinegar rinses recently.
Try clarifying and then continue on as before? Maybe your hair just reached a tipping point of buildup after months and now your ends are crunchy. Really, it's like a reset button for your hair. Even if it doesn't fix your issue straight off, it can't really hurt, and if it does work then it's a super simple solution.

Tisiloves
June 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM
If it's since you started vinegar rinses it might be that your hair doesn't like them. I'd clarify, maybe do a diagnostic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) and cut out the vinegar rinse.

summerstarlet
June 26th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Try clarifying and then continue on as before? Maybe your hair just reached a tipping point of buildup after months and now your ends are crunchy. Really, it's like a reset button for your hair. Even if it doesn't fix your issue straight off, it can't really hurt, and if it does work then it's a super simple solution.

Could you recommend a good clarifying shampoo? I'll be running to the store later today and I would like to pick some up to see if that really is the problem.

Tisiloves
June 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Could you recommend a good clarifying shampoo? I'll be running to the store later today and I would like to pick some up to see if that really is the problem.

Neutrogena anti-residue is meant to work well.

catamonica
June 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I spray on a mixture of four capfuls of olive oil & water. Wait eight minutes. Then shampoo. Also I add two capfuls of olive oil to shampoo & conditioner. My hair is a lot softer, because I
add oil, before shampoo. My ends are dry to. I use olive oil & conditioner. Apply four to eight times, one minute to one & a half minutes. It really helps.