PDA

View Full Version : how to protect your hair from sun damage?

~honeyflower~
June 26th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Hello! I have a quick question.
How do you protect your hair from sun damage?
I notice that my canopy is lighter and is more damaged than the underneath canopy. Do you have any advice?

Madora
June 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Wear a white cotton scarf..or a white hat.

snowcloud
June 26th, 2012, 01:42 PM
There some natural emolient oils out there tha have UV protective properties. Some that I know of:

- Buriti Fruit Oil
- Camellia Oil
- Cherry Kernel Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Kukui Nut Oil
- Meadowfoam Seed Oil
- Raspberry Seed Oil
- Rice Bran Oil
- Sesame Seed Oil
- Tomato Seed Oil

Mango butter and Shea butter also protect against UV damage :sun:

spidermom
June 26th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Scarf or hat. There are a lot of fun ways to tie a scarf; see YouTube.

Zesty
June 26th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I wear a wide brimmed hat for my face and shoulders that also usually shades my hair. I'm pretty sun phobic and also too sensitive for sunscreen, so I carry the hat around with me and put it on if it gets sunny. For extra protection I do double dutch braids, fold them over my head like Heidi braids, and secure them with a bandanna folded in half and tied over my head. I put my hat on over this (I got a larger size specifically so I could put hair in it) and my hair is completely protected. Unfortunately, other than covering it up or otherwise shading it, there aren't a lot of good options for protecting hair from the sun.

cooklaezo13
June 26th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I work outside in the sun everyday. I too noticed the sun damage, so now I wear a hat or a scarf every day. One hat I have in particular that is good for the hair, can fit a large bun underneath, is my hat from ossi hats etc. It's like a scarf with a brim and ties so you can tie it around your bun.

SoulOfTheSea
June 26th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Hat is the natural way to go, but there are also serums that are sold that have sunscreens in them.

~honeyflower~
June 26th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Thank you!
I didn't really think about a hat heh, nobody seems to wear them anymore the more I think about it. So, thank you so much for answering. Hope everyone has a great summer!

SongofLove
June 26th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I wear a wide brimmed hat for my face and shoulders that also usually shades my hair. I'm pretty sun phobic and also too sensitive for sunscreen, so I carry the hat around with me and put it on if it gets sunny.

Haha, me too! I always carry my soft, wide-brimmed felt hat in my bag!

If I'm wearing a hat that's too small to contain my bun, I will braid my hair and tuck it into my jacket. Or wear a hoodie and put the hat on top of it. Looks silly but at least my hair is protected :cool:

RileyJane
June 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM
i was having the same problem! until i got a wide-brimmed hat and wear it on scorching days, other than that, a scarf and my hair in braids tends to work just fine :) i dont mind the sun lightening it up a bit, but i definitely do NOT want the damage that follows it either!