PDA

View Full Version : I encouraged a long haired lady

BrianaFineHair
August 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM
At the YMCA yesterday I noticed a middled aged woman come in the lady's locker room with beautiful waist length hair. It was fine, like mine, so I really took notice. I told her she had beautiful hair. I could tell she really liked the compliment. :) She told me, "Well, I feel like I need to cut it." In shock I said, "Why in the world would you?" She said because of her age! No one had ever mentioned it to her but she said she just "felt" that was the consensus. I told her to be herself and not fall prey to what society thinks what length hair she should have.

I hope I was able to encourage her and give her a different perspective. She was truely stunning.

30isthenewblack
August 1st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Good work! You should tell her about the board as well where she can find likeminded women who shares her love of long hair!

Hockeymomof3
August 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM
That was so kind of you -- I bet she really appreciated what you said, it's so true - hope she does not cut it.

Curlsgirl
August 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
That has happened to me several times where the reply was well they were thinking of cutting it was so thin/frizzy/frazzled etc. and I always encourage them too. It is usually women over 40 or so who have been brainwashed like I used to be about cutting after a "certain" age. :rolleyes:

Good for you!!!

Cereus
August 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
I love seeing older woman with beautiful long hair! My grandmother never cut her hair in her life but she came from a different age. Then it seemed that women rebelled against that idea by cutting their hair. Now they are rebelling again by letting it grow no matter what age.

NurseMama
August 1st, 2008, 10:20 PM
I personally think that as soon as an older woman cuts her hair short she adds at least 10 years to how old that she looks.

I love long hair on all women! And many men for that matter ;)!

ole gray mare
August 2nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Nice work! On behalf of long-haired middle-aged women everywhere, thank you for your encouragement. :)

DavidN
August 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
That is a wonderful and kind thing that you did, BrianaFineHair, and cheers to you!:toast:

You really did make this lady's day a bright one, and this is proof that long hair is for EVERYONE!

BrianaFineHair
August 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone :)

If I see her again, I'll tell her about LHC.

Serenity_Peace
August 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
As a woman of color with very fine hair, it gives me hope that there are other fine-haired beauties who an grow it long. I haven't given up and this woman is definitely an inspiration. I would never cut it...

tinah
August 2nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
i feel that long hair on "mature" women is wonderful. it just seems so confident and self-assured to me, and like you've lived enough to have earned the right to fantastic hair. . .
wow, i really phrased that poorly. i hope i didn't offend anyone. i'm crawling under a rock now.

Amoretti
August 3rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
tinah, you said that very well. :)

FrannyG
August 3rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
I'm so happy to hear this story. There are far too many women who unwillingly cut off their beloved long hair because of age. I'm sure you gave this woman enough encouragement to keep her going for a while. Well done! :)

girlcat36
August 3rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
Just back from my 25th high school reunion, where 90% of the hair was shoulder length bobs. This really aged a lot of the girls.

Robbi Dehlinger
August 3rd, 2008, 08:43 AM
Good on all the older ladies who refuse to cut their hair!

I hear from other people so often how it is "not appropriate" to have long hair after a certain age?

BALDERDASH!:)

katiana
August 3rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
That was great that you had such nice things to say to her! I bet that made her day :)
Whenever I see an older or mature woman with long hair I especially make a point to compliment her hair..as I agree that long hair actually makes a person look more youthful, interesting and unique.

I really love to see elderly women with long hair..I am always amazed at how stunning those silver or white locks look.