PDA

View Full Version : My bad...

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I have to confess that I will use a flat iron from time to time. I have hair that is poofy without doing anything to it, and frizzy. If I wear it curly I need to use some type of cream to define the curls, but every once in a while I like it straight and if I wear it like that it will last a week without a wash or until I can't stand it. I only straighten maybe once a month if that.

I really like to have my hair looking different ways and like having the option to be able to do that.

The only time nothing goes into my hair, or have heat or product is when I wear it up, and I wear it up most of the time.

Anyone else want to fess up with something?

Smokie
March 16th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I too reserve the right to flat iron on the length every now and again. Though I'm far too lazy to do it more than once every few months. And then I only really do it because DBF enjoys my hair looking as long as it really is every now and again.

I also plan to continue flat-ironing, occasionally blowfrying, and sometimes doing crazy things to my bangs/fringe. The next mission is to lighten my henna a bit (chunk of bangs only), possibly even bleach, and dye magenta. I miss crazy colored hair. hehe. My bangs are also allowed the evil cones (length and scalp hate 'em) every so often. I abuse my bangs. :(

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 07:25 AM
whew, thought I would get thrown off the boards. :)

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I'm inpet with styling tools, but I do get it blown out at a salon about 4-6 times a year. Usually a roller set. It is a nice change to have straighter hair, and I can go 5-7 days with no knots! And comb it dry!

I also love my diffuser, especially in the colder months.

Smokie
March 16th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Haha. I can think of at least three other LHCers who I've heard mention using a flat iron on their bangs or length. Ope. Make that five. And all were references to recent use too. ;) There are a few around who blowdry fairly regularly too. And a big thread of people who chemically color.

We aren't the only one's who do "naughty" things to our hair!

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Maybe we need a group for us bad girls. :)

harley mama
March 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Shanarana, I love your curly hair. It is lovely. But, I do understand the urge to have smooth, silky tresses every now and then. I haven't used an iron in a long time....probably over a year. The last time I ironed I did it to see how well my self trim looked and to see how long it would be if it was straight. Until I found LHC I was a heat styling junkie. I hated my natural curl and beat it into submission daily. My hair is much happier now that I am letting it go wild!

Feisty Redhead
March 16th, 2008, 08:03 AM
My hair is completely unpredictable. I usually don't mind and just let it do what it wants. But there are occasional times when it's more wavy than I'd like... and I flat iron it. Only a couple times a year though and I am always sure to use a protecting spray on each section before straightening it. Besides not wanting the damage, I'm just far too lazy to do it more than a couple times a year - it takes forever and my arms get tired.

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Until I found LHC I was a heat styling junkie. I hated my natural curl and beat it into submission daily. My hair is much happier now that I am letting it go wild!

Did you have to cut it? It looks so nice, like you have never done anything bad to it.

Carolyn
March 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I get my hair colored and high lights about every 3 months. I let my stylist blow it dry and use a flat iron. I love the look :p I can't keep my hands out of my wonderfully stick straight hair :D It was flat ironed the day I took my avitar pic. I don't own a flat iron so that doesn't happen at home but I do have a hot air round brush which I use now and then, less than once a month. I like the way my hair looks after using it and well why not? :cool: Why go to all the trouble to grow your hair if you can really enjoy it now and then?

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I like the way my hair looks after using it and well why not? :cool: Why go to all the trouble to grow your hair if you can really enjoy it now and then?

I agree. :D

FrannyG
March 16th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I agree with Carolyn. Have some fun with your hair sometimes and don't go getting all guilty about it. I don't flatiron, but I do colour my hair. I just make sure that I treat it well in other ways.

I do know that the safest way to flatiron is to do just one quick stroke on each section of hair that you iron. That way the hair doesn't get too terribly hot.

Hope that helps. :)

jojo
March 16th, 2008, 08:17 AM
im another bad girl! i occasionally straighten mine too but hair is for enjoing, i treat it good 99% of the time!

harley mama
March 16th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Did you have to cut it? It looks so nice, like you have never done anything bad to it.

Awww, thank you! :heartbeat
I was trimming some of the damage off last year when I ironed it. I haven't had a professional cut in about 6 years. I just whack off the ends when they start getting that velcro feeling.

Right now my hair is in pretty bad shape from all of the chemo. I expect that I might have to cut several inches off at some point to get the hem back to a good thickness. :(

talullah
March 16th, 2008, 08:21 AM
If I want my hair to look really good, I have to flat iron it. There are parts of my hair that just look awful--especially the hair around my ears. I am supposed to have waves, but around my ears they look more like square waves to me (the "waves" don't curve, they bend at right angles. It looks like I set my hair on cubes instead of rollers.)

Not only that, but flat ironing eliminates my halo completely.

Eh, and I blowdry if I'm going anywhere. If I'm just sitting around the house that day but feel like doing a wash anyways, I'll damp bun. But if I'm going to be seen in public, it needs to be blowdried. It's too messy otherwise, and I don't feel confident with messy hair.

harley mama
March 16th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I do know that the safest way to flatiron is to do just one quick stroke on each section of hair that you iron. That way the hair doesn't get too terribly hot.

Hope that helps. :)

Franny, the problem with curly hair is that it takes a lot to make it straight. I found that one pass with the iron didn't do much. It had to go over each section several times to get that sleek (Franny) look!

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Right now my hair is in pretty bad shape from all of the chemo. I expect that I might have to cut several inches off at some point to get the hem back to a good thickness. :(

I had no idea, and it sure doesn't show in your hair. I hope that you are ok.

Neon Gloss
March 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I used to blowdry, straighten, and wash my hair on a daily basis. ;( I really cut down on it all, just a little bit... and then I came here, and it all stopped (the washing still goes on of course, 2-3 days though). Since I found this place, I've only straightened my BANGS just once.

annarose
March 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I confess I blowfry my bangs daily, but I trim them short monthly so they really don't matter.

I confess I have been blowfrying the whole thing lately, I just love that Pantene look I get!

And I am going to get salon streaks again this Wednesday.

Maybe we need a group for us bad girls. :)

I am definately part of this group :twisted:

harley mama
March 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I had no idea, and it sure doesn't show in your hair. I hope that you are ok.

Yeah, I haven't been on the boards as much as I used to. The chemo makes me sleep a lot the week I get treatment. I am almost at the end of a 12 round schedule (every 2 weeks for 6 months). Four more treatments and I will be ready to celebrate! :D

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Four more treatments and I will be ready to celebrate! :D

I will rejoice with you! :bottomsup:

Unofficial_Rose
March 16th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Hem hem! another bad girl here.

I haven't flat-ironed since I started with LHC but I've lately started to blowfry a little - and I got such a positive reaction from people as in "woww!! have you had your hair done" etc that it's making me want to go back to my cones + blowdrying routine.

Then again, so long as we know, and don't overdo it ;) Got to enjoy your hair instead of being in "preserve" mode all the time...:shrug:

Shanarana
March 16th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Then again, so long as we know, and don't overdo it ;) Got to enjoy your hair instead of being in "preserve" mode all the time...:shrug:

Very well put.

Nicole Marie
March 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Lately I've been giving in to the urge to blowfry & straighten mayybe a little more often than would be good...I think it's something to do with the winterness! I just feel less frumpy in sweaters if my hair is smooth & silky than when it's in crazy curls. I'm sure when the summer months come around it will be easier to just 'let go' but for now....why not indulge :) !

Masara
March 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I've never straightened my hair, I'm not very good with anything technical and I would be too frightened of trying to straighten an ear by mistake.
But, I blow dry my fringe (bangs) every day. Otherwise it's just wierd and limp. I also blowdry my roote from time to time. Just to get some sort of volume.
I want to able to enjoy my hair not resent it.

UrbanEast
March 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
As long as we're confessing...

Evert week or two, have my hair blown dry (quickly) and put a curling iron through my hair. I'm working on damp bunning as an alternative, but I've found that even that requires a few minutes of blow drying to smooth it out first in order to work for me. The resulting style looks really good on me so to be honest, it's worth the damage to look really good when I date.

On the other hand, I don't do highlights or bleach (or even henna), so that's pretty much the full extent of the damage.

carloota
March 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Maxiglide. Of course I only use it 2-3 times a year. And baby the ends for months and months after using it. :D Confession really is good for the soul.

Carina
March 16th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I love my hair straight.But I usually flat iron my bangs at home.I'm way to lazy to do my length to:o.But when I'm at the salon I usually get it flatironed and that happens about three times a year.But it is a different story with my blowdryer.I use ít once a week,mostly on weekends.So there you go, I'm a hot head to.:rolleyes:;)

Gutterfayrie
March 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
So glad that I came across this thread!
I have a few shows that I'm going to this week and I was wanting to straighten my hair, and now I don't feel guilty because of the bad girls club!

Katze
March 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I use a blowdryer every couple of weeks or so, on the cooler setting and focusing on my scalp, as well as on my ears. I find that if I dry my ears out, they don't ache, and if I "help" my hair dry a bit, I stay warm and toasty from my shower instead of getting chilled. I've been sick a lot this winter (stress mostly) and need all the comfort and coziness I can get.

When I blowdry my hair, starting after it's already airdryed a bit, it is so smooth and hangs so nicely. I may start doing it more just to be able to enjoy it down.

Oh yeah, and I prefer wearing my hair down (I loathe buns) and I use hair gel to facilitate that - a small amount mixed with leave-in conditioner.

Sometimes, the truth just has to be told. :P

Hypnotica
March 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Well, let see....

No, I can't think of anything really bad that I do to my hair, althought I have thought about bleaching my roots..

Kirin
March 16th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I wash my hair, every single day.
I dont use conditioner except in henna glosses or maybe once a week.
I love to brush my hair, more than is nessesary.
I use a curling iron whenever i have to for shows and events.
I use real hair spray.

Am I doing some damage to my hair? Probably. But its my hair lol and I have to live with it.

I am growing my hair, for me, not my hair. So yes, I join the bad girls club :p

spidermom
March 16th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Usually I would be among the first to jump in here and say who cares; it's your hair; do what you want. Lately, however, I have become so distressed by the amount of splitting I see that I'm re-thinking EVERYTHING. Like maybe I shouldn't ever blow-dry it, even carefully and on a cool setting, but wait until a time I can be cozy warm at home and wait for it to air dry. Maybe I shouldn't twist it into a sleep bun anymore. Maybe I should get a swim cap. And so forth. I reallyreallyreally want to get it out to classic length if I possibly can. Or at least tailbone length. I want that more than I want straight hair. I want it more than I hate swim caps. Just tell me what to give up and I'll do it!

Curlsgirl
March 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I do use chemical color to cover my grays at the roots only but I hardly ever do anything else to my length mostly because I just can't get it straight without using way too much heat. Like Harley Mama said I would not be able to only slide the iron down once but would have to do it several times to get it smooth. I do always blow my bangs dry but they are short and I do it once or twice a week when I wash. I got major damage from heat(esp. irons) before LHC and had to trim a lot off so I do not want to go back there!!! I only diffuse on low to get some of the moisture out of my hair now. Also I have learned to love my curls now since LHC!

MadPirateBippy
March 17th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I will sometimes rip through my hair with a comb or brush. I can hear the hair snapping, but if I'm tired and it needs to be brushed, I do not have the patience to be gentle.