PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil & Shampoo Question!

caadam
June 26th, 2012, 12:40 PM
So, I was lurking through ktani's blog and found her talking about using shampoo to help coconut oil penetrate the hair shaft.

I know I've said it multiple times, and I'll say it again: my hair really hates coconut oil. lol

Saying that, I wonder if this same principle - the penetration of coconut oil by mixing it with 'poo - will work with olive oil? I know it's a heavier oil that tends to sit on the hair shaft more than coconut oil might, but... would it work?

How is it that shampoo helps coconut oil to penetrate hair better? Could someone explain this to me or give me some reading material? I would very much appreciate the help. :flower:

caadam
June 26th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I ended up searching and found out that shampoo helps the lauric acid in coconut oil penetrate the cortex of hair. It seems that olive oil doesn't have lauric acid. Hmm...

swearnsue
June 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I remember reading that even people who don't like using coconut oil in their hair have liked using it in the oil shampoo method. You could try about 1/4 tsp or less of the coconut oil in your shampoo and see how your hair likes it. It is different than using coconut oil as a leave in.

Siiri
June 26th, 2012, 01:41 PM
There are some members who use olive oil with the method, I remember there's some discussion on it in the oil shampoo thread (in the last few pages at least): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063

Some other oils that ktani recommended were babassu and palm kernel oil, because they have high lauric acid contents like coconut oil, but adding olive oil into your shampoo may have other benefits, so it's not only about lauric acid penetration.

The idea behind the shampoo with non-coating ingredients is that in theory it should improve the penetration because it shouldn't block the lauric acid out like some coating ingredients may (at least partially) do.

Personally I don't love coconut oil as a leave-in or as a deep treatment because it's too heavy, but I've had good results using it in the oil shampoo.

caadam
June 26th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Ah, I see. :)

Well, I don't have coconut oil on me right now, but I think I'll try to use my EVOO because it's really all I have, along with my jojoba oil. So I'll see how that goes. ♥ THANK YOU :flower:

dollyfish
June 26th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I've only got my own anecdotal experience, and my hair loves coconut oil so we might have very different hair... but I recently bought olive oil shampoo, and it makes my hair SO soft. So perhaps this technique does work with other oils?

It's worth it to try!

catamonica
June 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I use two capfuls of olive oil in my shamoo & conditioner. And I use a spray bottle, filled with four capfuls of olive oil & water. Spray, leave it on my hair for eight minutes. Then shampoo. It feels
less dry. Really soft.