PDA

View Full Version : Family & Hair

MestizoGypsy
June 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM
So I'm curious about your family's opinion on your long hair or long hair goals!

My Mom had long straight hair, just like mine, til she had kids- then she chopped it into the Demi Moore 'Ghost' haircut and hasn't looked back. She loves it and it suits her face, but she definitely does not understand the time and care that my hair takes to stay healthy. My sister's hair grows like a weed, and she cuts it at her whim, whenever she's bored with her look. Every time I lament my hair's slow growth, she says that it's long enough. They just don't get it like y'all seem to!

How do your families feel about it?

Madora
June 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM
My father loved it. Mother thought I spent too much time messing with it (experimenting with updos), although she always liked the red tint in my hair (which I always wished was redder). They never said much, really, and I was free to do whatever I wished with it.

DarkCurls
June 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM
My dad had long hair as a kid, or so he tells me, but that was a long time ago. Now everyone I know has it drastically short, from pixie to shoulder just about (more like jaw).

My mother can just about deal with the fact that I'm growing my hair out and no longer urges me to go to the hairdresser's; she's being strangely supportive even though I remember her hating my hair a couple years ago! (Before I realised I was a wurly/curly and brushed my hair every day and wondered why it was so ugly.)

My brother things it's too long. :confused: What? It's just barely at waist.
The other day my hair was air-drying and I don't see my brother or father very often, and they both commented on how long my hair was getting, but my brother had this weird look when he said it. He also doesn't like updos (he didn't like my maiden braids the other day, waaah).

Oh well. :D I'm not growing it out for them.

MestizoGypsy
June 26th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'm not growing it out for them.

Exactly how I feel!! They don't get it, but then again, they don't have to.

jacqueline101
June 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM
My family hasn't said anything good or bad about my hair.

SerinaDaith
June 26th, 2012, 01:15 PM
My mom is the reason I started dying my hair at 19 because my silver was "aging" now she's the one rooting for me to grow it out, my husband likes it in a bob "because at least then I'll wear it down". I want it long and natural because I know it'll be easier to deal with eventually. My husband says he likes me the way I am, he does not mind the new workout except for making snide comments about the small chest size of the girls on the video that I use. I tell him that I am working out for myself and I'm growing my hair out for myself and he leaves it be, he knows better than to tangle with me :P

Rufflebutt
June 26th, 2012, 01:30 PM
My mom could care less about what I do with my appearance. I could shave my head bald, I could dress up like a clown. Really all she cares about is that I'm happy with how I look.

I like her attitude and if I have kids I'll probably have a similar one. It's nice to have the creative license on my appearance even if I do have some fashion statements that I regret. (*cough* my scene phase back when I was 13 *cough*)

My mom used to be a hair stylist, though. But she's not one of the pushy ones that's up their clients butt to keep coming back for maintenance. Those are the ones she hates the most, so when she used to do hair she would give the client exactly what they asked for so that they left happily.

shutterpillar
June 26th, 2012, 01:33 PM
My family couldn't care less about it.

I find that it is my "friends" who seem more concerned with my hair. I frequently get comments such as "why in the world would you ever want it that long?" or "hair that long just looks gross and ratty." or "do you know how big of a pain in the a** it is to manage long hair?"

I just take it as jealousy and move on. ;)

meishkamooshka
June 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
My mom actually cried when she chopped off like 15 or 16 inches of my hair last year. So, suffice to say, she is in favor of my long hair. Also, she hates when I dye it or anything (even though I only used semi-permanent dye once).

My dad isn't as stringent, but I think he prefers it longer. My little sister basically is growing her hair out with me, and my older sisters are always taken aback when I cut it or something. My brothers could care less. My boyfriend is impartial, but I think he likes it better long.

And my friends (who I consider to be family) are definitely in favor of me having hair that I love (whatever length, style, color that may be), but even they seem to have a preference for it long! :D

Zesty
June 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Mostly they just say "Wow, it's getting long." I get a lot of comments along the lines of "my hair would never grow that long" because I come from a genetic pool of mostly short haired people. My mom makes positive comments about the way I braid it and whatnot, and also says she could never manage to braid her own hair. I guess I'm pretty fortunate to not get anything negative.

DBF thinks it's quite long but leaves me alone (I think he'd probably prefer something more manageable like BSL, but he never really says; like most of my appearance choices, it's up to me, not him, and he never makes comments without being asked). Friends vary, but the comments are, again, largely neutral.

nena_shawty
June 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM
My dad loves long hair .. and I had long hair when I was little , unfortunantly I cut it when i got around the teenage years . My parents like long hair but they dont apreciate or realize what it takes to keep long hair looking nice . My mom doesnt care what I do with my hair, they ussually roll thier eyes when they see goop on my hair lol .

nena_shawty
June 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM
My dad hated it when i hannaed my hair , and is now glad that I am growing out my hair to blonde again .

Jing
June 26th, 2012, 01:55 PM
They haven't said anything apart from "you're starting to get so long-haired!" Every time I see them. Well, apart from my sister. She lives a block away from me now, so I'm not a terribly exotic creature to her. My husband just tries to eat it.

~honeyflower~
June 26th, 2012, 02:02 PM
My Grammy loves my long hair! :D

Dragon Faery
June 26th, 2012, 02:05 PM
On my side, only my immediate family knows anything about it at all, and really just my mom.
Growing up, my hair was bushy since I didn't know a thing about curly hair. Every time I wore it down and bushy around my dad's parents, they would reminisce about how Grandma's hair used to be when she was younger. (Huge and bushy and everywhere, apparently.) Grandpa always spoke as if he missed her hair being like that. Grandma always spoke as if she was glad she didn't have to deal with it anymore. She's kept it short and styled since adulthood. And it suits her, for sure. She's gorgeous.

When I showed up at a family gathering last December, sporting properly cared-for curls, my grandma and aunt (who has the same hairtype as us) couldn't stop exclaiming over it. They loved it and wanted to kow how I did it. It didn't seem to occur to either of them that they have exactly the same hair as me. :(

My dad has curls (more than me) and has always disliked them. He automatically assumes I hate mine, too. But I don't rremember ever saying anything to that effect. ???

My sister (who's a wavy, probably 2b/2c) seems to have quietly picked up the "don't touch while it's drying" aspect of wurly hair. Not sure if she got that from me or somewhere else. She doesn't say much. On the surface, she doesn't give the impression of caring very much about hair or makeup or anything, although she wears makeup more than me so anyone's guess is as good as mine.

I think my brothers both like long hair, but I've no idea how long. My youngest brother likes playing with his wife's hair, and draws a lot of anime pictures involving long hair.

My mom thinks I spend too much time on my hair. She thinks anything longer than almost-waist is vain. I don't know where she gets that idea, as she spends much more time and worry on her hair than I do. She wants everything in place all the time, and wants to be pretty in an unnoticeable sort of way. All I want is long hair. Longer. And longer, and longer.

To each his own.

Sorry for the novel. Cool thread! :)

longNred
June 26th, 2012, 02:11 PM
my mom will mutter "you could use a trim" every now and then, but overall she loves it. She had tb length hair in her younger years. my sister loves it until I rope her into helping me henna, then it's "omg you have alot of friggen hair!". but everyone really does love it. my hb loves it, until it's in his face, or clogging up the drains... then he curses it out.

AlannaMaria
June 26th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I always had long hair as a young kid until I chopped it when I was 12, so both my parents like my hair longer and give me nice compliments pretty frequently. I think they thinks it looks more "me" and I quite agree with them.

My brothers don't care, but I don't find it very funny when my younger brother threatens to chop it in my sleep. : P

My boyfriend loves it as well, though I know for a fact he'd love anything I did to my hair as long as I was happy with it.

Ticky
June 26th, 2012, 02:26 PM
They probably couldn't care less.

dulce
June 26th, 2012, 03:04 PM
My late Mom hated my long hair when younger,so at 60 with silver hair past my waist I know she'd hate it if she was still here,my late Dad supported anything I ever did.My hubbie got upset whenI mentioned I might get a trim,he likes it long and encourages me to go to talbone,my 2 grown kids seem neutral but I noticed my daughter growing hers longer once I started,she said she liked mine long so I guess she meant it.

Shepherdess
June 26th, 2012, 03:27 PM
My little sisters love my hair and I think that my grandpa likes my hair too. The rest of my siblings are okay with it and my Mom is okay with it too, although she is really big on the "straight hemline" so she really wants me to trim my ends (my mom does like long hair and her's is about hip length). My grandma though has always had short hair, and she has made comments in the past on how "easy" and "out of the way" shorter hair is, I felt she was hinting at something :rolleyes:.

So my whole family seems okay with my hair the way it is now...but, whenever I mention wanting to grow my hair past knee length, that's when all of them (except my little sisters) think I'm crazyy, lol.
But as others said earlier, I'm not growing my hair out for them! :p

Tisiloves
June 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM
My friends and family are either supportive or nonplussed, but it's not that long ago I had waist length hair, which is my intermediate goal. My mum seemed ok when I mentioned growing to classic, though I did phrase it as "I want hair long enough to sit on since I couldn't as a child".

anime_length
June 26th, 2012, 04:07 PM
my boyfriend knows about obsessing with his hair so he understands. but my mother & the rest of my family know very little about it. I will say that i have always had waist length hair. One time I cut my hair to BSL and my mom had a conniption. She looks at me as her personal masterpiece and I think long, beautiful hair is connected with that image. Too bad she never listens when I speak... lol

ohmygackt
June 26th, 2012, 04:09 PM
My mom has thin-ish wavy shoulder length hair. Shes always like "Ohhh I want to grow my hair out.." But then she goes to get highlights and a new shorter cut >.>
But she's always like "I wish I had your hair, waaahh." She doesn't exactly know I am trying/wanting my hair to be longer, but she supports my current waist length hair so...:D
My brother whos 2 years older than me has hair similar to mine, but he's killed his hair with a straight perm, and he seems just to be jealous my hair isn't as damaged as his.
AAAAnnd my oldest brother, who is 6 years older than me, has drastically different hair from my mom, and my other brother, he has curly, dark, mexican hair XD He's also jealous of my wavy blonde locks XD. Though I think both of them should grow out their hair >.>

IvanaGil
June 26th, 2012, 04:20 PM
My mom loves my hair long and still forbids me to cut it even though I'm 20 years old lol
My older brother is worse than my mom. If I lose even an inch, he flips
My sister likes my hair but is mostly indifferent
My dad is indifferent as well
And most importantly, my DH loves my hair and is on the same boat as my mom and brother
:)

<3OnHerSleeve
June 26th, 2012, 04:42 PM
My mum is supportive of my long hair idea... to the extent that she thinks anything beyond classic looks 'too much'. Me, if I could grow my hair to ankle, I would. But I'm just going to see where my terminal length is.

My grandmother as a general rule hates long hair, but because I'm her favourite grandchild ( lol ) she encourages me to grow it long for some reason. She has no idea how long I want it, but when I cut my hair she was actually asking me why I'd do such a thing and it's a good thing I'm planning on growing it back!! As a child, her mother used to make her put her hair in rag curls every night very tightly, so once she was 14 and allowed to do whatever she wanted with her hair, she cut it all off and never has looked back. She cut all 5 of her daughters hair off and when they were 14 they all grew their hair. My mum hates short hair even though it really suits her.

So despite not being altogether understanding, my family doesn't mind as it's really my business, it doesn't hurt me or anybody else how I wear my hair so they leave me to do my own thing. They do actually care about everything I do, just that they wouldn't interfere about something that isn't going to destroy my life.

Shorty89
June 26th, 2012, 05:42 PM
My dad as far as I know is rather ambivalent. My mo is vaguely interested in what I use on my hair. She's happy with what she uses, but she has no problem with my oils and herbs. And she is curious how long my hair will grow haha.

Sisgoldenhair65
June 26th, 2012, 05:53 PM
My hubby is super supportive and can't wait for me to get to classic. My daughter (18) says extreme long hair is gross and she will "cut it in my sleep" if I let it grow that long. Thank goodness I have a lock on my bedroom door! Lol

EDIT: I don't know how that icon showed up on my post. It's supposed to say 18. My daughters age.

Amygirl8
June 26th, 2012, 06:30 PM
My parents dislike it, and they really irk me about it sometimes.
My mom always used to pressure me to cut "half" off it off (because that was a fantastic compromise :rolleyes:) but that was still when she was taking care of it. She doesn't bother me so much now, except for when she yells at me to trim it.
Of course I trim in secret, my family does not know that I trim my hair myself.

My dad always asks me why I don't cut it to look "pretty" and like all the other girls.
I think you guys already know how that went.

My brother is the only one on my side, he's also growing out his hair and it's currently somewhere between shoulder/APL. =]

Mesmerise
June 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM
My family don't seem to care one way or the other! Honestly, I was always able to do pretty much what I wanted with my hair when I was growing up. I was allowed to perm and dye it from the time I was 11 or 12 (I think my sister was younger... but that always seems to happen lol). When I was quite young (say about 6 or so) mum liked me to have my hair "shaped" as she called it, when I wanted it blunt across the back. However, I got my way (I have hideous pics of my 6th birthday after having my hair "shaped" which really just meant kind of curving the sides... sort of like face framing layers... but the 1970s version or something?!). Anyways, my friends had long blunt hair, and that's what I wanted too!

But yeah, since I've been older my parents haven't cared a bit. My mum's had short hair her entire life (well I saw some pics of her in the early 70s with SL hair... but that seemed to be a one off), and my dad has worn the same hair style FOREVER (which is a rather lovely comb over!! I guess when he was balding in his early 20s it was an acceptable style, but he's now over 70 with the SAME HAIR style, just less of it).

My immediate family (husband and kids) also don't seem to care! I think my husband prefers it longer rather than shorter, but he never seemed to care when I cut it short and bleached it either.

Falcore
June 26th, 2012, 07:55 PM
The only ones that know I want to grow it out long long is my mum and my man

Mum - is always encouraging about my long hair.

My man - only just last night he was sitting next to me watching me looking at hair pics and he says "how long exactly do you want your hair? Show me a pic of how long"

I showed him a photo of knees and he scrunched up his nose and says "That is GROSS and stupid, Falcore. I just look at hair like that and think why, why would you do that?" (he said more but it will be too long of a post). I then asked "how long is the maximum you'd like my hair to be?" and I proceeded showing him other pictures of various lengths and he stopped me on BCL! :(

I'm doing it with or without his opinions. Of course I would like it if he found it attractive but hey, maybe he might change a I get closer?

The only other person to comment on my hair is my step-mum (she has no idea I want to grow it to great lengths).

The last two times I've seen her it was "You look like cousin it sitting over there" and then the last time she picked up my braid and said "when are you going to cut this?" I said "I'll be TRIMMING it next month" Her eyes lit up and she said "I'll do it now for you" ermm.. no thanks..

arcane
June 26th, 2012, 08:37 PM
My mother always believed I should have long hair, even when she had her short pixie cut. Right now her hair is longer (around waist last time I saw her) and she supports my desire to grow back out long (she was sad to find out I had to cut my hair back in Feb). Also she wants me to grow out my natural colour as she thinks it's beautiful. My Dad doesn't care what length I have, but prefers it to be natural as well.

My partner thinks I'm too obsessed with my hair, but knows it mostly makes me happy so he puts up with me talking about it/fiddling with it/trying new things. He doesn't like that I sometimes get very upset that my hair isn't where I want it to be right now.

AstroGoob
June 26th, 2012, 08:46 PM
My mom doesn't understand why I don't let my hair down all the time.

My sister doesn't like it when it's "ratty"

My boyfriend loves it when it isn't in his face.

My friends wonder when I'm going to donate to Locks of Love :rolleyes:

Anyone else get the Locks of Love questions?

blond_betty
June 26th, 2012, 08:54 PM
My mother and sister don't really understand why I'm doing it; my sister has gone so far to say that it looks gross any longer than "mid back". :confused:

My husband, on the other hand, has been totally supportive. At first, when I was still just lurking, I told him about a person who put a filter on the shower head and swears by it now and he looked at me like I was nuts. haha. It may be awhile before I convince him to do that for me, but I did talk him into buying me a sleeping cap. :D

Seeshami
June 26th, 2012, 08:58 PM
My Mom has hair the same length is not longer then my own. And she is starting to look to me more and more for advice. My oldest sister is the same, I think I have her in inches but she's smaller then I am so she has me beat in length to body relationship. Middle sister was a long hair but just recently chop chopped and is still adorable and happy with her hair.

We're all for the most part long hairs. Middle sister is the bravest as she has been waist length but also had a shaved head so she experiments and plays a lot. Oldest sister is in the military so hair is not something she can experiment to much with, but when she is out I am sure we will be chop chopping her hair too. Mom and I are both very attached to our length.

Muffin doesn't like the mention of scissors and my hair in the same sentence. All trims are suppose to get the Muffin's Hubbindy Seal of Approval but he didn't get to approve of my bangs. He's not so very pleased with them. :rolleyes:

SongofLove
June 26th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I showed him a photo of knees and he scrunched up his nose and says "That is GROSS and stupid, Falcore. I just look at hair like that and think why, why would you do that?" (he said more but it will be too long of a post). I then asked "how long is the maximum you'd like my hair to be?" and I proceeded showing him other pictures of various lengths and he stopped me on BCL! :(

Aww man...:(

MestizoGypsy
June 26th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I'm loving this thread and everyone's responses. It's so interesting to see how y'alls family react, especially the mothers. I think mothers definitely have a unique relationship to our hair, because generally they were the first ones who brushed and styled it for us.

Silverbrumby
June 26th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Everyone in my family keeps reminding me about aging and long hair. How they don't mix. Sigh... My sister who recently came out from Australia to visit me in the US said

"Well, it's good you keep it up and not wear it out. It's too long for that you know"

MestizoGypsy
June 26th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Everyone in my family keeps reminding me about aging and long hair. How they don't mix. Sigh... My sister who recently came out from Australia to visit me in the US said

"Well, it's good you keep it up and not wear it out. It's too long for that you know"
Ahhh that would make me so mad!! Especially since I wear my hair down frequently- that's how I love to enjoy it! I think there's no length of hair 'appropriate' for a certain age. The only thing that matters at any age is what makes you feel beautiful if you ask me!

AnqeIicDemise
June 26th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Mom and Dad are thrilled. Hubby encourages me. My sister couldn't care less and the other two haven't seen me since before I got married.

But they've all proven they can handle my short hair if I decide to chop it off as long as I'm happy with it. ^-^

Wildcat Diva
June 26th, 2012, 11:45 PM
My three sons are funny. "mom, you got a package, it's more hair stuff "Of course." Don't you have enough of those things (hair forks)." " Mom, I need to tell you, you're getting obsessed with your hair." "Oh you're on the computer, looking at more hairstyles...really?" My husband just complimented my latest find, an ONN hair ax.

I have not made any great progress let, I'm just getting started, and not yet at APL. So we will see how it goes.

AnqeIicDemise
June 27th, 2012, 12:44 AM
My mom doesn't understand why I don't let my hair down all the time.

My sister doesn't like it when it's "ratty"

My boyfriend loves it when it isn't in his face.

My friends wonder when I'm going to donate to Locks of Love :rolleyes:

Anyone else get the Locks of Love questions?

They've learned not to. When they did I replied with a "when are you donating your kidney?" and that was given to a particularly annoying family member. I'm usually more polite and deflect the question. 99% of the people who ask take the hint.

GoblinTart
June 27th, 2012, 01:37 AM
My dad thinks all women should grow their hair as long as possible.
My mother thinks every woman should chop off her hair, because short hair is easier to manage. Nevermind I inherited my dads curls. She's manipulated me into chopping numerous times. Dad was never happy about that. Neither was I. Thank goodness I'm a big girl now and grow my hair however I like. Whenever I get discouraged, I ask dad about the longhairs he's known. He gets poetic about how beautiful their hair was, and i come away with new resolve to grow out my hair.
My mom is still trying to get me to cut my hair. It'll be so much easier for you to style! Really mom? An hour every morning straightening it, and taming frizz, versus throwing it up in a bun or pony and forgetting about it? Really? I don't have wash and go hair when It's short! Grrrr....but, I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

My DH- I love it when you let your hair down and It's all curly and long.

italianamama
June 27th, 2012, 01:47 AM
My mom is... my mom. She's not afraid to change her opinion LOL! I suffered through some very unfortunate 80s style bowl cuts because, according to her I "wouldn't let" her wash it. I also had a habit of infrequent washing as a teenager, and it drove her *insane.* She'd probably have a stroke if she knew I only washed my hair 2-3 times a month now :D But than again I've always experimented with the hairs. I got frustrated as a teenager and got a pixie without telling her, that one was fun :p

My husband had never seen me longer than shoulder length when we got married. Once my hair started to inch past waist, he started to give me funny looks. :rolleyes: He was also of the opinion that super long hair just doesn't look good, or well taken care of. I told him to deal with it, and now that it's at tailbone he likes the look on me quite a bit. He still grimaces if I mention knee-length, but he knows enough to keep it to himself.

My friends all think I'm a bit insane, but they're all admirers of the hairs at least. One of my best friends actually got inspired by my growing-out and started growing hers out from shoulder length.

My five year old daughter has classic length hair, and she loves "looking like a princess." She also loves it when we go out in public with "twin" hairstyles and people comment :D We went to go see "Brave" today and she just about lost her MIND when she saw Merida and Elanor's hair!

Kayla Nyx
June 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM
my mom doesnt much care, and I barely see my dad anymore. though my mom hates it when I pull my hair back or oil my hair. I get a lot of grief for doing that.

HintOfMint
June 28th, 2012, 09:34 PM
My parents are still a bit superstitious about complimenting their child's appearance (evil spirits and all that), but my mom will make a mock spitting sound sometimes and call me rapunzel and say my hair is beautiful.

My dad on the other hand wants me to be a bit more experimental with hair. One moment he is pointing out a longish pixie another moment he is pointing out a shoulder length cut for me. I just want to laugh and say, "hair grows, dad. But it grows SLOWLY, so it can't exactly keep up with your whims or mine."

Logi Bear
August 8th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Out side of my mom and dad I don't really know how the rest of my family would feel about my plans for my hair. My mom and I have very different ideas towards hair. I remember once her absolute disgust at a picture (or a video or something) of a woman with very long one length hair, i believe it was blunt cut straight across too and my mom was horrified. No layers, no styling, no nothing. She hated it, she insisted "hair MUST have layers, and she looks HORRIBLE!" ect... And was actually angry at the woman for walking around that way with her hair like that. I have showed her several pictures of women with similar long one length hair and she always hates it. It is her personal opinion that one length hair looks terrible, and sometimes she actually seems offended (like "Are you INSANE, whats wrong with you?" when I show her pictures of one length hair or when I say that I really like it.

If she knew that I wanted to grow my hair out obnoxiously long and all one length she would be horrified, so I don't bring it up because I know she thinks its ugly and doesn't look good on anyone. Its ok for her to have her opinion of whats pretty, and its ok for me to have my opinion, but I'm afraid If i tell her what I want she will tear me down about it, or harass me constantly in the future about my hair, or we get in a fight or something...

My dad likes me better with longer hair, when I was little he would spend hours brushing it, braiding it, putting it in buns and pig tails and whatever else I wished. So to him my hair was like father-daughter time. I think he just always has fond memories of my hair. But only to a point, and If I am successful in growing my hair to tailbone, or classic, or maybe even beyond I think he will find my amount of hair "ridiculous." I don't think he likes my hair that much lol.

There is no one in my family with really long hair, in fact I can't think of anyone with hair longer than bra strap length, and probably 90% or more of my family has hair shoulder length or shorter.

OilPaint
August 8th, 2012, 09:52 PM
My family has always just accepted that it's part of my appearance, but occasionally I'll get a comment about being careful near machinery, or "if you ever cut it you'd better tell me first!"

My mother's opinion of hair in general is that everyone should have control over what they want to do with their hair, especially since she wasn't allowed to make decisions about her own while she lived with her mother. The only one she seems to think should NOT control their own hair care is my father because he keeps shaving his off right after it gets to shoulder length. lol

MestizoGypsy
August 8th, 2012, 09:52 PM
It's been a while since I started this thread, and I just got a look of disgust from my sister when I mentioned growing my hair past my waist, once it finally gets there. She said that I'll look like "One of those obsessive people who just can't cut their hair." and that it just looks unkempt at that length. Ay ay ay. I didn't fight her on it, it's not her head to worry about.

neko_kawaii
August 8th, 2012, 10:23 PM
If it crossed her mind to think about it my mother would probably be delighted that I'm letting my hair grow to terminal. She has said that she wishes she was closer so I could practice all the new braids etc I'm learning on her (shes in her 50s and has at least tailbone length hair herself). Other than braiding it she wouldn't have much interest in extra time spent on hair though.

My mother and sister in law occasionally remark on how long it is getting or how my niece can grown her hair long like her aunts (thats me) when she wants to take care of it, which, if she is anything like me wont be until shes out of college and she is eight now.

My husband is mum on the subject. Its my hair, why should he have an opinion about it? But that reminds me of a phone conversation with my grandmother. I was telling her I'd cut my hair from waist length to a pixie and she said, "I was just about to ask if you had your husband's permission to cut it and then I remembered women don't have to do that anymore."

doggyhog
August 8th, 2012, 10:27 PM
My parents could really care less. They think it is cool all the things I put in my hair though.. haha

My one sister think it's great that I am growing my hair but gives me a really hard time about putting coconut oil, olive oil, and ACV in my hair. She told me my hair smells disgusting and refuses to sit next to me right after I wash it. I think it may be jealousy because her hair is not nearly as healthy or long as mine.

MaryMarx
August 9th, 2012, 01:44 AM
I mentioned it in another thread, there is nothing to say really about my hair because it's only SL and I always keep it up.
Or, well, my mom and a friend both told me separately that my hair has gotten so shiny now that it' almost all virgin. That made me happy. :)

I don't often tell people about my hair goal, only my mom and sister knows, and when I talk about it (not very often) they just go quiet. I think that's rude.
I don't know if it is that they don't like hair that length or if they don't think I will make it.

But I'm sure I will make it, and in 2-3 years I'll be all "in your face! :wigtongue"

MintChocChip
August 9th, 2012, 02:47 AM
My family sort of get it! :D Apart from maybe my Dad. But that might be because he's balding. I've mentioned this somewhere else, but my sister's also on here (Emsahib). She got her account first a couple of years ago, so she definitely gets it! :laugh:

My mum thinks it's sweet that I try and look after my hair. :) I guess I'm quite lucky that they understand that it does take a bit of effort/hard work sometimes to grow long, healthy hair. :)

DancingQueen
August 9th, 2012, 02:48 AM
They don't really talk about it, although they seemed to think I had gone crazy when I ordered castor oil online. :D

We don't really talk about it, although my mother tries to be supportive. Se is very 'traditional' about haircare - no perfume shampoo and conditioner, hair wash every day, hairdryer every day and lots of hairspray. She has APL hair, that grows like a weed, and she keep cutting it when it gets 'too long'.

She accepts that I have this very wired interest in hair, but she probably think I am caring too much and being too sensitive with hairdressers. It is okay, but I really miss someone in real life to talk about hair stuff with. :)

Tota
August 9th, 2012, 03:54 AM
My mum thinks it's stupid and that "hair is not THAT important". She wears her hair in a very short pixie for the last 20 years. She has severe allergies on her scalp but that doesn't stop her from using harsh shampoos (the harsher the better) and chemical dyes. Because "hair's just not so important to think about it so much".

My grandma thinks it's stupid, that I'm too short for long hair and that it doesn't fit me. She also said numerous times that my fine delicate hair is too thin to look good long. She also thinks that at 28 I'm too old for long har. Oh grandma ... :( I try to keep my hair up when I'm around her.

Granpa digs it. He says men are happier around long-haired women. The irony is, his "woman" cut her long TBL hair at 20 soon after they got married and never let it grow again ;) Poor grandpa was fooled into marriage lol. Just kiddin' :D

My sis has always been a longhair. Because her hair is thick and strong she was allowed to grow out her hair to WL at 5 and she still wears it like this at 21. She supports me.

ETA: When I met my bf almost 12 years ago I had a bleached bob. Over the years he never pressured me into nothing but when I asked what he likes he said that "I should go natural and then just leave it be". Now that I've done that he's very happy and wants me to have TBL hair. He even showed me the pic of what he wants lol.

constantki
August 9th, 2012, 04:01 AM
My DBF doesn't care.... at all. He just lets me do what I want with it. It wouldn't bother him if I had either a bob cut or knee length hair, just as long as it is what I want and what makes me happy.
My parents want me to wash it more often and think that it is getting "too long". Although they recommend cutting, they understand that it is my decision and respect that. My mom does compliment my up-dos occassionally.
Ultimately, the only person in my life who truly "gets it" is my best friend's mom, who is also growing out her hair. We compliment each other's growth whenever we meet.

Rocky
August 9th, 2012, 04:44 AM
My brothers get fed up with my hair. They hate finding it around the house and hate it when it clogs up the shower :D They too threaten to chop it off in my sleep. My mum doesn't understand why I would want hip length hair and gets annoyed with all the updos I ask her to look at when I've done them. The only one who gets it is my brother's fianc&#233;e who wants to grow her hair for their wedding.

pocketfulla
August 9th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Mum has nice straight, smooth, silky, fine hair, cut in a choppy bob which really suits her. Mine is the opposite of hers! Longish, rough, dry most of the time, wavy & frizzy! & Dad's been bald for as long as I can remember!

Marcellaa
August 9th, 2012, 05:10 AM
My mom had long hair in her teens, it was at BSL/MBL.
And my great grandmother always said she used to have hair at classic, but the only pictures of her when she was young, are with her hair at chin length. So I can't be really sure if she really had hair that long or if the story was well... just a story ;).

My boyfriend really likes my hair being long and henna red. I don't think it would really mather to hem if my hair is BSL or TBL, but he does support me growing it out. He compliments me with my hair because he knows it makes me feel good. He is a sweatheart <3
Most people don't know I want my hair really long. I don't tell them, it makes me feel a bit silly.
They are interested in my updos with hairsticks. Everyone seems to be fascinated by that.

elthea
August 9th, 2012, 05:12 AM
My husband loves my hair, and more is better as far as he's concerned, and he's the only person whose opinion about my appearance really, in the end, matters to me. My brother is also nothing but compliments, but his fiancee has hip length hair, so I know where his preferences lie!

My parents tell me that if I grow it past waist I will be in 'religious nut' land. I planned to stop at waist, but this makes me want to go longer.

My sister hates anything longer than a pixie and constantly makes hateful remarks about how ugly my hair is. We have *identical* hair, so I just tell myself this is thinly masked self hate and move on.

I wore it in braids and low pony's for years, and when I started doing buns and other updo's after coming here, they all freaked out at the 'strange' hairline on the nape of my neck, which sort of makes two long points in the back. Their collective dismay actually weirded me out enough to make a post about it here. I was assured it was normal.

KwaveT
August 9th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I get resistance even though not strong resistance from my family. My dad likes to fling sissy barbs at me for anything that doesn't meet his "man standard". He has not carried this act toward my hair yet but it is a matter of time. Funny thing is he had long hair before he met my mother. Most of my family prefers my hair short. Well I don't. I love my curls. I know my middle sister is jealous of my curly waves and I found out my mother was last night too. I think my mother gives the most vocal reminders that my hair looks better short.

AineMuirne
August 9th, 2012, 06:23 AM
My boyfriend LOVES my hair and would be happy if I let it grow to my knees (which is longer than I want it, haha). It's nice to have that kind of encouragement, especially because I didn't start growing it for him, I did it because I want it long.

When I said in passing a few weeks ago, "I hope you don't think me using the coconut oil in my hair is a waste" (because the container of it that we have right now was $16 and wasn't exactly intended for my hair) he said, "I don't consider having nice hair as a waste."

My mother wasn't so encouraging at first, but she isn't the type of person to berate me about anything or tell me I can't do something as simple as grow my hair. She complained a little bit that my face is too small for long hair. But, I've taken to getting my bangs cut to angle around my face and frame it, and I think that's appeased her. Well, that and how healthy my hair is. I think she likes it now- she likes to run her hands through it when I see her and hasn't said anything in about a year about it being too long for my face. She also likes that my hair is turning from brown with a touch of blonde to auburn brown with a touch of blonde and shows anyone who will listen that it's changing colors, lol.

My sister has expressed jealousy of my hair color and how fast it grows. Her natural color is ashy/green brown. She tries to dye her hair auburn, but it's just not a color you can get out of a box and have it look natural. In the same breath, though, she's told me my ends are scraggly, lol. I haven't cut my hair in a year and it had long layers, so I suppose the bottom 2 inches are a tiny bit scraggly right now. ;) I think she's just jealous.

sloth
August 9th, 2012, 07:05 AM
My da HATES my red hair. He always laments for my natural blonde hair when the subject of my hair comes up. My ma likes it, but she makes fun of me for trying so many dye things that result in me needing to cut off my hair and start all over. I'm really bad at growing my hair long. (I'll do it think time, damnit!)

My boyfriend is pretty indifferent, a whatever-makes-me-happy sort. Although he normally doesn't woman with blonde hair attractive, he thinks I look good with it. (Granted, I'm back to red now.)

CurlyCurves
August 9th, 2012, 07:12 AM
My Mum is sceptical, but otherwise supportive. My Auntie, whom I live with, is supportive, but thinks I'm obsessed.

Amorice
August 9th, 2012, 07:37 AM
My mom has had a pixie cut pretty much my whole life. I've seen pictures of when she grew her hair long in the 70s when that was the thing to do, and it looked really nice, but of course it was long STRAIT hair that was in so she ironed it a lot, and I guess it was too much to deal with. Which is a shame, the one time she grew to almost APL in my lifetime, she had some very pretty waves. I think if I'd ended up with her hair instead of my dad's (strait, fine, blonde) she wouldn't have let me keep it long as a kid. She's never been keen on the crazy colors, though. Seems to think it 'ruins' my otherwise pretty hair. Dad seems to have made peace with my colors, at least. I think he just finds it to be one of his weird, artistic daughter's many quirks.

FI loves my hair. Blonde, purple, strait, braid waves, anything! I think ultimately he'd support any choice I made with my hair, but it is nice that the things he prefers in hair (long, buns, certain colors) are things I enjoy as well.

alexis917
August 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM
My mom somewhat supports me on my hair growth journey, but misses her old length. It was about classic length, maybe longer, because it was very curly and reached her tailbone. She cut it all off to shoulder length from the damage and breakage, and uses that Sun-In lightening spray, a straightener, a curling iron, regularly puts her hair into tight updos, brushes it when soaking wet. Everything that people here warn against she has tried. I get my thick hair from my father, but my mom insists I get it from her and that her hair grows faster than mine. She says my hair grows faster because I am young, but I just don't do many damaging things to it. She won't take my advice though. Sigh. Every woman in my family is hovering around shoulder length, but my grandmother has a boycut-ish style going on. My aunt Christine has hair past classic length, but she has not trimmed it in years as far as I know, and allows her cats to bat at it. Strange, I know. Her hair is also very damaged. I am at bra strap length, but in my family, that's a Rapunzel-esque achievement. I want to be the first in my family to have very long, healthy hair! My boyfriend thinks my hair is pretty because of the "contrast" he says. I'm paler than Ophelia, and less crazy, and my hair is nearly black because of my being half Korean. He likes it, but I feel like I am washed out sometimes. I never asked him how he felt about me growing it long, but I figure he notices the progress. Nothing negative has been said so I assume it's fine.

Bene
August 9th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Out of curiosity, over the years, I felt out random family members in a round about way, or have just compiled whatever they've said about long hair.

My mom's reaction: Your hair is getting long. Are you going longer or leaving it there? Do you get it trimmed? You have to get it trimmed so it stays even.
She'd been a long hair in her time, and we have similar standards about even hemlines. Turns out, she hates fairytale ends too :D

My dad's reaction on me mentioning in passing that I'm growing my hair long (EVERYTHING about him): I couldn't grow my hair that long because I wash it every day and hair that length is a pain in the ass.

My oldest sister: That's LOOOONG. Cool. Is it a lot of work to take care of that?

My brother: It's hair. So? :shrug:

My b/f: :shrug: If it makes you happy, I'm okay with it. As long as you take care of it.
Apparently, he shares the same views of long hair as my mom and I.

B/f's family: Nice! Oooooh, pretty!

The foul beast that is my other sister, we have a history concerning my hair. I posted that story in another thread, so I'll just paste it here:

My hair used to be roughly waist length. (Long hair in my family is sort of a big deal, but no one has the discipline to NOT cut it, maybe that's why it's a big deal?) On the rare occasions that I had my hair down my sister would say "Oh, your hair is so long". That then turned into "Your hair is too long" and it later became "You should cut your hair". I never paid attention to her, I mean, it is my hair after all.

One day, I finally did cut all the way to about nape length. For my own reasons (it was 3 am, I was bored) totally unrelated to what my sister had been saying. When she saw my hair, the first thing out of her mouth was "Oh, you cut your hair. Now mine is longer than yours, tee hee!". It dawned on me that my sister had been trying to get me to cut my hair so that she'd have the longest hair out everyone in the family. Petty competition, all in her head. It's subtle. If I had any idea that she was keeping track of hair length in that way, I never would have cut. In the long run, it doesn't matter, my hair is now longer, is healthier, and looks way better than hers. I'm not even bragging, my hair is far prettier than my sister's. And, I normally would never say something like that, but hey, she started it.

hyettf16
August 9th, 2012, 08:41 AM
My mom is supportive and even sometimes says that she is growing her hair too (she is at about chin length, but she has experimented with my coconut oil and asked for advice). Everyone else doesn't seem to care. Of course they do notice and I've seen a little bit of jealousy from my sister who chemically dyes and can't seem to get past shoulder. And there's always the comments from my brother: "You know, you can wash your hair every once in a while."

Amber_Maiden
August 9th, 2012, 09:49 AM
They think that I think too much about it, spend too much money on it, and am obsessive.

Tia2010
August 9th, 2012, 10:33 AM
My mom likes long hair, but prefers my natural color. My boys don't care either way, but they think it's funny I use food stuff in my hair.. My youngest asked a while ago," Mom, can I use some of your hair honey to make a sandwich?"

My DH.. He didn't (and maybe still doesn't) like the idea really long (tailbone) hair ..I decided to grow it anyway.. but since then I have spent the last (almost) two years at nearly the same length (I grow some then trim back to get rid of old dyes, some front layers and things) sooo he probably thinks I have given up on growing it long! But I'm just getting started :D

He might be coming around though... He saw a picture of of a long haired bright henna head yesterday while I was looking at the 'redhead inspiration pictures' thread and he said "oh, that would look really nice on you honey.":) So who knows. I think it isn't necessarily the long he doesn't like...it's what he considers 'boring' he doesn't like (on me). Long and calm.. just not his thing ... Long and bright red..he likes. So who knows what he will think of the end results. I guess well see :D

domisimone
August 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM
My dad is happier that I'm embracing my curls and gets really upset when I straighten my hair, but he's always wanted his daughters to wear natural hair, so much that he took me and my sister to a professional braider once a month for almost two years so our mothers wouldn't be tempted to perm it. (My mom would never perm my hair, but I love him for making sure.)
My mom is kind of indifferent. My grandma hates that I fret over my hair so much but likes it when I give her advice on products or tell her what I've learned. My aunt thinks that, being African-American, my hair won't grow. Whenever I tell her I want hip length in five years, she just laughs. But I'll show her!

jextxadore
August 9th, 2012, 11:20 AM
My mum keeps telling me to cut it because it's "time to change style", a few others in my family joke about it looking androgynous, and the others just don't mention it. Pretty much on my own as far as family goes. Oh well.

elea
August 9th, 2012, 11:26 AM
my family is unable to grow hair past the shoulder, they tried everything but, it just does not happen so my long hair gets twirled, twisted, plaited, faffed with to no end when i go there to meet them and when i cut it, it's WW3.
there used to be endless comments about the color and a funny request from my dad "when are you going to dye it natural?" but i just need to mention cutting it messy-short now and it stops *:OD

Loveisaverb
August 9th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Well since my hair really isn't long enough for really anyone to comment on it besides from my aunt saying my hair was getting longer as well as what my mom said also.

Through recently I have been buying a ton of hair products like new shampoos and conditioner as well as coconut oil with my family around and no one really minds.
Since my mother is in her mid 50's and has in between waist and hip length hair, so she doesn't really care about me wanting my hair super long.

melusine963
August 9th, 2012, 12:12 PM
My sister is amused, but supportive. She only rolls her eyes mildly when I ask her to take length shots for me.
My mother hates my hair, especially the taper. She wishes I'd chop at least five inches off the end of my braid. I now make it a point never to wear it down around her.

Maybe
August 9th, 2012, 12:26 PM
My husband prefers it long.

My hair is APL and it's pretty much the longest it has ever been. I have had it like this for about 5 years, and I might have had it like this beofre-kids for 5 years or so too.

Now I plan to grow it to MBL if I can.

Growing up my mother always said I only looked good with short hair. She is kind of a nutjob though. I look good with a pixie, but it looks good like this too and is actually much easier for me to manage. As a 2b/2c, short hair is a lot up upkeep at the hairdresser for me, I was getting it cut every 4-5 weeks.

ladylowtide
August 9th, 2012, 12:39 PM
My fiancé loves that its longer, he says I look super pretty with it long. But he says he thinks it would be hard to take care off past tailbone.

My mom is surprised it go this long (she is the one who cut off to my chin repeatedly during childhood because she didn't know how to deal with it).

My dad could care less.

My cousins on my mom's side think it is weird I don't trim or cut it.

So I guess there you have it. Its brushing MBL by the way.

VioletCurlyhair
August 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I don't think anyone knows about my hair plans. I told my mom last year that I wanted to grow it to about tailbone length, but she doen't know that I've since changed my plan!

I don't think anyone IRL other than myself knows how long it is now, so I guess it will just be a surprise for them!

Mayflower
August 9th, 2012, 01:11 PM
My mom has long hair herself (she's almost 50) and she definitely supports me. The only thing is, she has really coarse and thick and strong hair and doesn't understand why I'm S&D'ing or using hair masks.

My brother doesn't give a sh*t and hates my henndigo colour.

Both my parents hate my henndigo colour, so they're pretty glad I'm going back to natural (partly because they won't have to pay for it anymore I'm sure!).

My dad doesn't really have an opinion, but he thinks hip length is "too long" and too hard to take care of.

Oh and my grandma is really pleased with my hair right now. She hated my shorter, heavily layered, unbrushed hair with an undercut and is glad to see it has thickened up a ton and that I actually use a brush now.

The rest of my family, whom I rarely see, is always very surprised to see how long it has gotten. I get nothing but compliments from them.

irisheyes
August 9th, 2012, 02:35 PM
The last time I saw my youngest daughter (23 years old), she said, "Oh, Mother, that hair is just too long!" Ha, ha, I must be doing something right!

Shepherdess
August 9th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I don't think anyone knows about my hair plans. I told my mom last year that I wanted to grow it to about tailbone length, but she doen't know that I've since changed my plan!

I don't think anyone IRL other than myself knows how long it is now, so I guess it will just be a surprise for them!

Oh, that sounds like a nice surprise! My family all know how long my hair is currently, and they all know that I want to grow it as long as I can (although my little sisters are the only ones who don't think I'm crazy :p).

:D

ARG
August 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I mentioned my hair goal in passing to DH, who grew all excited about it, my mother over heard and made comment about me looking overly religious.
My dad and my brother don't know, but when my hair is down and they walk past me they can't help but run their fingers through it. My sisters probably don't care, both have had long hair in the past.

Messyhair
August 9th, 2012, 03:44 PM
My hubby is happy I have a hobby. :rolleyes:

No one understands, of course. I get a lot of "but why do you grow it if you just keep it up all the time?" from the general public, but they just don't get that I'm not growing it just to show it off. Sigh. My mother just thinks I'm crazy for wanting it any longer.

Freija
August 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM
My dad and my boyfriend both love it; they're the people I run to when I'm feeling sad and frustrated and ready to grab the scissors. My dad is especially reliable for making me feel good about my hair, and my boyfriend has started taking care of it with me already (it isn't quite at BSL yet, but he looks positively reverent when he's combing it out or treating me to a personal scalp massage : D).

Unexpectedly, I think my granddad likes it a lot too. As with most of my features, my hair is almost exactly the same as his wife's; my grandmother's; who died before I was born. I think the reminder of her, and the obvious genetic continuation, is bittersweet for him.

VioletCurlyhair
August 9th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Oh, that sounds like a nice surprise! My family all know how long my hair is currently, and they all know that I want to grow it as long as I can (although my little sisters are the only ones who don't think I'm crazy :p).

:D

:agree: Next year, I should be going away to college (right now I'm at community college and still live at home), so whenever they get to see me, they might notice a difference.
It's nice that your little sisters don't think you're crazy for it. I have no idea what my family would think; I also want to grow it as long as I can!

Dovetail
August 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Well my mother and father will be seeing me this september with all luck for the first time in a few years, so we'll see what they say! I'm rather excited. My husband loves it though and his side of the family seems rather un-interested in it.

HadessThera
August 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM
My mother gets seriously worked up over my hair "obsession" and the rest of my family save my father are her firm supporters, my father thinks I look pretty no matter what and doesn't pass many a comment, my two best male friends are both avid worshippers of my hair and my best female friend gets insanely jealous of any hair growth I manage so I'm a little scared to let them know I'm growing it out again haha (I'm an only child so close friends count as family to me :p)

Bambi
August 11th, 2012, 03:52 AM
My mum and my aunt are very supportive of me growing out my hair, which I am thankful for. My dad likes long hair, especially when it curls(so does my grandfather who actually commented on my hair when I cut it to a pixie, he thought it was such a shame). So I guess I am lucky to have "supporters" in my family, although I believe I would have grown it anyway if that wasn't the case. Hihi!

Vampyria
August 11th, 2012, 05:34 AM
My grandmother had long (but not past waist long) thick hair in her teens and she encourages me to grow mine. Every time I trim, she tells me to stop trimming and touching it already or it will never get long.

Also my uncle had long hair in his youth (he listened to heavy metal) and until he was around 30 I think, and was surprised when I cut mine to shoulder length, and asked me what happened.

My dad would rather see me to shave all of my hair and my mom thinks I'm obsessing to much and doesn't really have opinion about my goals.

My granddad and my brother couldn't care less.

My boyfriend likes long hair and had MBL hair himself in the past, but also thinks I'm a bit obsessed. But his hair is really thick and looked great when it was long even with using just a really harsh shampoo, so he doesn't really understand all that oils, conditioners and supplements thing.

QMacrocarpa
August 11th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Nobody in my family really cares as far as I know, except my mother, who's against (though she doesn't say anything about it any more), and my husband, who's in favor, though he probably wouldn't be in favor if I spent a lot of time/money/ingenuity on it, so it's a good thing that I'm a benign-neglecter! :) I do have some long-haired sisters-in-law and nieces, and it has been fun to bond over our hair a little, swapping hair tips and accessories.

AineMuirne
November 26th, 2012, 08:08 AM
This Thanksgiving made me think of this thread....

My hair has grown about 6 inches (after a 4-5 inch trim) since I saw my extended family last, which has brought it past a commonly-seen length.

I did not expect such a positive reaction to it, lol! I knew that one of my aunts had long hair (~classic length) for a long time and the other maintained ~waist-hip length for a long time, but I guess it sort of slipped my mind. The aunt who had CL hair actually used to go to the George Michael salon in NYC exclusively (while he was running it), which is pretty awesome. So, this Thanksgiving, I discovered that my mother's siblings and their spouses really like very long hair.

My uncle told me it's too short, and I tend to agree, so the growing continues. ;)

sumidha
November 26th, 2012, 09:31 AM
My mom is definitely one of my long hair inspirations, she's almost always kept it long, at one point i think it was classic length. No one else has an opinion.

Egana
November 26th, 2012, 10:16 AM
My family all are very practical, and they think messing with long (and big, in my case) hair is a pain that isn't worth it. But that's ok. It's not their hair. It's my hair. *grin* They like how it looks, though, and we all enjoy it. I've known for a long time that they are practical and I am not. Having impractical hair is just another part of my quirky personality... I bring a lot of fun to the family!

minxe
November 26th, 2012, 10:34 AM
My mom and sister are jealous of my hair, but I don't think my extended family likes it very much. Whenever I visit they touch my hair and ask me when I'm going to "get a trim." I microtrim every month or so, and have a really blunt hemline, so I think it's not because it looks bad or anything, but because they just don't like long hair. It isn't even at waist!

kurlywurlygurl
November 26th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Well I come from an Indian background and just about everyone has heard of or seen some form of long dark hair and having oil slathered on their heads. I was always the oddball out growing up. I was bald until I was one and then I just was a head full of curls. My mom oiled my hair with a little baby oil to tame the flyaways and let it be. As I grew older it turned into a long thick braid and waves because of all the length, and then I chopped it off when I was in seventh grade (biggest mistake ever). Now, my mom thinks its funny because I seem to be trying to do everything I hated her doing to my hair just to get it back to the way it was. My dad just thinks I'm a weird hippie and jokes that I put everything in my hair. My sister just thinks I should be burning my hair with curling irons and straighteners, and my little brother just tells me I look great no matter what lol. I grew up with two indian grandma's so I've got my own little health food store in my room and books full of home remedies lol. Everyone else (cousins, aunts, uncles, friends etc.) think I should just chop it off and never let it grow past my boobs. Idk, I want to see how long it can get. So yeah its kind of hit or miss with my family.

CurlyCurves
November 26th, 2012, 12:04 PM
My family are skeptical and seem bored of me talking about my hair. My Mum remarked, rather unkindly, that my hair has 'never been hip length before' when I said I was growing it to hip *sigh*

Well, as far as I know, my hair has never been BSL before and it almost is.

Dziip
November 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM
My brother really doesn't care.
My dad approves me on whatever I do or wish to do.
But every time I see my mom, since my hair are Chin Length, she wishes I cut it off to a nice pixie and seems ...let's say... unconfortable.
And I don't think they are long enough yet :)

Vivalagina
November 26th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I don't really talk about how long I want my hair, so I don't really hear anything about it. My husband does like to joke about all my " kitchen hair experiments" but it's all in good fun. Like I tell him - at least I have a hobby that won't burn the house down. :) He also jokes about cutting my hair in my sleep, but that's been a running gag our whole relationship. My hair LOVES his face scruff and if I don't braid my hair at night he ends up covered in hair, like it's trying to eat his face. hehe If I like my hair, he likes it too, whatever I do to it.

My family and friends will comment on when they think my hair looks nice, or they like the style, it looks shiny, etc. But I've never had my hair at an especially long length (only to BSL+ when I was in college because I couldn't be bothered with it) so it's never been a topic of conversation. I can't imagine anyone would care at all about how long my hair gets, and if they do, I doubt they would care enough to tell me their opinions unless it looked totally trashed and pathetic. :)

spirals
November 26th, 2012, 01:30 PM
My brother doesn't care about much in my life, especially not my hair. My dad never makes comments about how I look. He used to express concern about my putting on weight when I was 14--as girls often do before they shoot up--and that hurt me, and I have totally forgiven his insensitivity, but I'm sure he still feels bad about it. So, no comments on appearance. My mom has always said she thinks I pay too much attention to my appearance, so she declines to discuss my hair if she can avoid it. She has been supportive of my curls in the past, though. Fortunately I live alone and can do whatever I want sans judgement.

erialc
November 26th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I mostly get the "thin hair isn't nice when it's long", "layers make thin hair look so much thicker", "don't you need a trim?" etc. And I don't even have long hair yet, it's just somewhere above APL. They think I'm weird though, with all my experimenting and natural products. I think the best thing to do is to just keep doing my thing and then eventually they get curious when they see it working for me... :) Both my sister and mom tried CO washing for some time actually, although they thought it to be too time consuming.

Carolyn
November 26th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I get very few comments from family. My inlaws never see me with my hair down. Ever. No one in that family has a clue how long it is. I wouldn't dream of bringing up the subject of hair with them and I would never discuss my hair goals even if asked. It would not end well. My own family is very small. Just my brother and his wife who have never mentioned hair to me and an aunt and cousins who I haven't seen in about 5 years. We've never talked about hair. It's best to wear long hair up and keep the lips zipped.

dmilton
November 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM
My parents love my hair long. Short hair is not the best look for me. My hair has recently past waist length, and my husband is starting to think it is getting too long. That's probably just because I tend to talk about my hair a little too much. But as long as my hair isn't short (shoulder length and up) he doesn't mind too much.

gillybeanxo3921
November 26th, 2012, 05:58 PM
My family doesn't understand. They think I'm crazy. They think the things I do for my hair is utterly ridiculous.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM
My family don't understand either, they would rather my hair was no longer than ear lobe length...I just don't feel like me without long hair though!

luckyshot
November 26th, 2012, 11:42 PM
My Mom has always had short hair. Basically pixie length short, only her hair is curly. It suits her, and I really can't imagine her with long hair. But she doesn't really understand my desire for long hair. She thinks I look more "myself" with a chin length bob. Probably because I had one through most of junior high and high school. She is supportive though, she does trims for me, buys me coconut oil and other products she thinks I might like, and she loves all the braids I do. She especially likes it when it's down.

My Dad, I don't think he even notices what I do with my hair. Unless I were to shave my head bald he probably wouldn't comment. It's just not something he really cares about. Same goes for my brother.

DancingQueen
November 27th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I stopped telling them. My mom think I am slightly crazy, but supports me a lot of the way (although she secretly want me to do more 'traditional' haircare - shampoo, conditioner and blow drier). I don't think my father and brother cares about it, though my father tend to think it is crazy how you can care so much abut hair. (Then again, he have had a 2 mm buzz-cut for years). I don't talk about it to the rest of my family. :)

biogirl87
November 27th, 2012, 12:40 AM
While my mom currently has short hair and has had short hair for almost as long as I've had shorter hair than I do now, my parents don't seem to mind me wanting to have long hair as long as I take care of it and get my studies done. None of my friends seem to mind me wanting to have longer hair, but then again some of them have slightly longer hair than I do and at the moment my hair is at the length that doesn't seem terribly long to people outside of here when I wear it down.

Rivanariko
November 27th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I don't make a big deal about it and neither do the people closest to me. I've always had long hair, it's just now getting to the "holy crap long" length, according to the rest of the world. (not by LHC standards, I'm just finally getting to "long"!) My friends will ask on occasion how long I'm going to grow it and I'll just shrug and say that I don't really have a plan, I'm just enjoying it for now.

DH loves it, but he wants me to wear it down more. He understands why I don't, but he much prefers it down and flowing. My mom is in awe of it because she was convinced that because I had been "unlucky" enough to get her baby-fine hair, I would never be able to grow it long. My brother had long hair up until a few years ago when he decided he needed to make some major life changes and shaved his head as a symbolic starting over point. He's kept it short since, because growing out is a pain. My dad hasn't cut his hair since he retired 3 years ago.

I do occasionally get the "why have it so long?" questions, but I never interpret them as nasty or jealous or anything other than genuinely curious. I've had the conversation with other long hairs who are happy staying at hip or waist, what the draw is of it being THAT long. Or just from people who have never grown their hair out, why I want it super long. It might just be the people that I associate with, but very rarely does it come across as rude or derogatory. Well, except one of my clients who told me I needed to cut it because I "looked like a native" (I have blond hair, bright blue/green eyes, and am very pale. I am about as phenotypically opposite of a Native Ameircan as you can get.) I've decided that I'm not going to base my self-image on the opinions of meth-addicted teenagers though, so it doesn't bother me. :-P

NoRush
November 27th, 2012, 04:27 AM
My mom has never vetoed anything I've wanted to do with my hair, my friends were always strangerly awed by my long hair (can't see why really, back when it was waist long it wasn't in such good condition anyway... It was by far the longest of the bunch of them though so maybe that's it...:shrug:) my grandma on the other hand bugged me for 10 years that it would suit me better if it were short... I had a big chop last year, a bob, got rid of old layers and assorted damage and now I'm happily over it hair and growing it back out, :hifive:

Ligeia_13
November 27th, 2012, 07:09 AM
It doesn't matter how healthy, shiny and split free my hair is, my mother just does NOT like it long. Apparently, it drags my face down.