PDA

View Full Version : Which of you straighten/flat iron your hair?

irishlady
June 26th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hi everyone,

sorry if this has been asked already, which I'm sure it has countless times....

I really want to straighten my hair again, I feel better with it nice and sleek, I'm not truly happy with how frizzy it is when I leave it to dry on it's own :(

Does anyone else straighten their hair?

Diamond.Eyes
June 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I haven't straightened my hair in 4 years. And I wouldn't unless someone gave me a good amount of money :laugh:. But in all seriousness, I wouldn't advise straightening hair if you plan to grow it out. It's very damaging. I'm sure a couple of times (by a couple I mean 3 times or less) out of the year is okay, but I wouldn't make it a common styling technique. Have you tried using cones? Many people with frizzy hair find that cones agree with their hair wonderfully; making it smooth and sleek.

carrieavaught
June 26th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I do, but not very often at all. Maybe once or twice a year. I don't use heat on my hair hardly ever.

spidermom
June 26th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Applying a smoothing product like aloe vera gel and/or coney serum, then combing your hair up and back into a bun for awhile should tame the frizz. Works for me except on the most humid of days, and flat-ironing wouldn't work any better on those days.

MrsGuther
June 26th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I don't straighten my hair anymore. I stopped a few years ago. Flat ironing is way too damaging if you plan to grow your hair out, so be careful!!

Tisiloves
June 26th, 2012, 12:25 PM
As fairly weird advice, don't straighten, use heat protectant. Lots of people find that using the straightening serums, because they are loaded with cones, really tames their hair, even without heat.

gonzobird
June 26th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I just got anxiety even thinking about a flat iron..... ;)

carrieavaught
June 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM
As fairly weird advice, don't straighten, use heat protectant. Lots of people find that using the straightening serums, because they are loaded with cones, really tames their hair, even without heat.
Where can I get that? And is it a one time thing like a flat iron?

akilina
June 26th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Where can I get that? And is it a one time thing like a flat iron?

Anywhere.
One time? Like...one time a day? Or what? That is sort of confusing :/ If you used it multiple times a day it would get horribly greasy and funky. You could use it after washing your hair while it is still damp. It wont "straighten" your hair at all but it will smooth the frizz making the hair appear/feel more pleasing.
I try to hard to not straighten. It is really hard for me. Updos help alot with not having to look at your hair.

Rufflebutt
June 26th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I would try using a frizz serum is that's the only reason you want to flat iron.

I used to flat iron daily and I used heat protector. I think it's wise that I made such a smart decision because my hair isn't nearly as damaged as it would be without. XD

Limit the heat on your hair as much as possible. Avoid it all together is you can help it, but at the very least cut down.

spidermom
June 26th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Plus up-dos really help to smooth the hair, especially when done after application of a smoothing serum (or styling product), which is the point I was trying to make. I can usually tell the difference after 1/2 hour in a bun (or a french twist when it was shorter), as long as I combed my hair very smooth and bunned carefully.

And yes - you only apply the styling product once, although a teeny bit more gel (if you're using gel) in a specific spot might be required.

Rufflebutt
June 26th, 2012, 01:18 PM
But I cannot stress enough about heat protector!!! I used Got2Be Guardian angel. I've NEVER had a problem with it. In fact, I love Got2Be products. They always deliver what they promise.

JellyBene
June 26th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I used to but it gave me awful damage which had to be grown out for over a year.

SerinaDaith
June 26th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I "lost" or donated all of my hair heating implements after I joined this site. There is a yt video on heat free straightening by taking each section of your hair and wrapping it around your head while damp using bobby pins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9-4TDEuUCM there are several others on yt as well but I like this one.

missmelaniem
June 26th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Hi everyone,

sorry if this has been asked already, which I'm sure it has countless times....

I really want to straighten my hair again, I feel better with it nice and sleek, I'm not truly happy with how frizzy it is when I leave it to dry on it's own :(

Does anyone else straighten their hair?

If youre okay with cones Paul Mitchells Super Skinny Serum does a great job in getting hair straight. I have mostly straight hair with a little wave here and there and if I put some of that in it pretty much straightens it out. If I use a blow dryer its even better. Just depends on how much you want to straighten, but its possible to do it with mostly product if you have the right kind of hair.

I use a flat iron but mostly for touch ups.

I'm with you... I love my hair straight.

Carissamarie08
June 26th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Well I'm the odd one out on this thread. Lol. I use my flat iron multiple times a week and I have been able to grow my hair out perfectly fine. I have almost waist length hair minus a couple inches. Yes my ends get dry but I use Moroccan oil and a deep conditioning treatment once a week. I also use plenty of heat protectant! I'm not going to tell you to use flat irons or anything but I am addicted.

jojo
June 26th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I straighten about 6 times a year mainly to see my growth, but I can make mine straightish by just keep combing when damp until dry. I use a heat protector which goes without saying really!

carrieavaught
June 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Anywhere.
One time? Like...one time a day? Or what? That is sort of confusing :/ If you used it multiple times a day it would get horribly greasy and funky. You could use it after washing your hair while it is still damp. It wont "straighten" your hair at all but it will smooth the frizz making the hair appear/feel more pleasing.
I try to hard to not straighten. It is really hard for me. Updos help alot with not having to look at your hair.
Like one time, I wash it and its out. Sorry I didn't make that clear lol. I may get that for my oldest daughter's hair.

ohmygackt
June 26th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I used to flat iron my bangs, but now I cringe at the though of heat.

david
June 29th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I straighten my hair the odd time and havent noticed any crazy damage. By the odd time I mean once every week or two or if I've going out somewhere special. Just make sure you use heat protector.

CurlyCurves
June 29th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I do! But I really limit the amount I do it. I flat ironed this month, twice! Which was a mistake. I'm aiming for once a month AT THE VERY MAXIMUM. Now not flat ironing again until mid-Aug.

I get tempted, though. So tempted. I love my curls to bits, but my hair basically goes 1a (then kinda goes into the 2s as the days go on) when flat ironed, and I love the feel of my length all over my back/shoulders. And the way I look.

Oh sigh, wish I could find a heatless way of getting pin straight hair. I am terrified of heat damage.

riceball
June 29th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I used to flat iron almost daily before I started using henna and henndigo. After a few applicatios, my 2b or 2c hair became 1c-ish..so I am pretty happy with that. The henna/henndigo really cut down on frizz too. I have horribly frizzy coarse hair. Maybe doing a henna gloss might help you?

anachronic
June 29th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I use a relaxer

floralgem
June 29th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I wish I could get off the flat iron, but I'm a cheerleader and have to straighten my hair for games/competitions, so I don't straighten off season and when I don't need to.

CurlyCurves
July 3rd, 2012, 09:26 AM
I wish I could get off the flat iron, but I'm a cheerleader and have to straighten my hair for games/competitions, so I don't straighten off season and when I don't need to.

Why do you need to straighten it for games?

NataschaB.
July 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
I used to straigten my hair when it was short, but my ends got pretty damaged. I used to put Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum in my hair before straightening, but it fried my hair. I don't know what I was thinking. Now I never use a straightener anymore.

irishlady
July 3rd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks everyone :)

I think I'll still straighten my hair then, just not too often. Only for special occasions.

Puertoricangirl
July 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I straighten my side bangs every once in a while because they are curly and look funny in their natural state. I always use a heat protectant but I try not to straighten them when i'm at home. I really want to straighten my whole hair to see my growth progress but I fight the urge :o

betsb
July 4th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I'm odd man out too, I use a good brand flat iron and do not always go to the ends, usually once a week. It will leave my hair straight until the next wash, and I prefer it smooth and straight than frizzy and wavy.

Allychan
July 4th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I no longer straighten my hair because of the frizz cycle it sets up and the damage it creates over time. I find that pouring a Rooibos tea rinse over my hair when I finish in the shower stops most of the frizz. It kind of coats the hair, my hair is pretty thin and fine (but wavy) so I can't use leave in conditioners or product as it weighs it down, makes it look greasy and limp. If your hair is not 'light' coloured you could give it a try?

jellycatty
July 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I do a couple times a week, but only my fringe. Sometimes the sides of my head where my sideburns are lol

hairstuck
July 6th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I straighten it for special occasions.

Why have hair if you can't enjoy it every now and then?

I use a heat protestant (or two) when I straighten it.

I rarely dry/straighten it, but it sure looks so much better when I do!

I wouldn't straighten it every day, but maybe every, say, 2 weeks is manageable?

Vanille_
July 6th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I donated my flat iron to Goodwill.

mzBANGBANG
July 6th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I straighten my hair a couple times a month, I'd probably do it more if I weren't so lazy!

I do notice heat damage in my hair so be careful! I, too, like the sleek look. It just sets me back a couple inches a year with damage control.

Silverbrumby
July 6th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Thanks everyone :)

I think I'll still straighten my hair then, just not too often. Only for special occasions.

I blow dry my hair still for special occasions which works out at about twice a month sometimes. I think it's still too much for me because of how frizz and damage prone my hair is. I'm re-thinking it because I want to FINALLY get past BSL.

Anyway with regular trims you might do fine. It's when you're going for more length I think heat damage becomes an issue.

edit - blow dry on low with almost dry hair that is. p.s. I use to flat Iron damp hair - ekkkk

Amethyste
July 6th, 2012, 06:14 AM
There is a video on youtube (and i bet many as well) of a girl named "Bambieyez" that dries her bum length hair with only a paddle brush and a box fan. takes her 20mins and her hair looks so shiny and beautiful...

Amethyste
July 6th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I donated my flat iron to Goodwill.

Vanille, that made me chuckle.. Donating an evil item to give someone else's bad hair... haha. :face: