PDA

View Full Version : Whey Protein and Hair Loss and Hair Gain

Silverbrumby
June 26th, 2012, 01:32 AM
I found this article on the web tonight and wanted to share. I had no idea there was a difference between

* Whey Protein Concentrate (hair gain)

and

* Whey Protein Isolate (hair loss)

Dr. Larry Shapiro, a nationally recognized hair transplant surgeon and dermatologist in South Florida, announced today the results of a study that compared the Effects of Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) to Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) on Hair, which suggests that WPI, an ingredient found in many popular weight loss, meal replacement and body building products, is contributing to hair loss.

The results showed 94% of the subjects reported a moderate improvement in their hair's appearance after taking a daily or twice daily dose of an enhanced whey protein concentrate (WPC) for at least 4 weeks. 64% of the subjects reported healthier, stronger, fuller looking hair in that same time frame. To see the full study or blood tests for hair loss risk factors, go to www.drshapiroshairinstitute.com.

Dr. Shapiro's ground breaking discovery was featured on a health segment on ABC Channel 10 in Miami. To view the segment, go to: http://www.justnews.com/health/23054863/detail.html

"Consumers need to be made aware that taking WPI can damage and accelerate hair loss. Through my research, we've discovered that a vitamin enriched WPC has a very positive effect on healthier, fuller looking hair," said Dr. Larry Shapiro, Principle Investigator of the Study.

Dr. Shapiro continued, "WPI contains highly concentrated amounts of amino acids that cause the body to increase production of testosterone, which breaks down into dehydroxytestosterone (DHT), a hormone that has been scientifically proven to cause hair loss."

"As a hair transplant surgeon we also noticed giving the WPC formula used in the study reduced the usual period of dormancy that follows a transplant," stated Dr. Shapiro.

SOURCE Dr. Larry Shapiro

henné
June 26th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Yaaay! Wheeeey (concentrate)!

:yumm:

Thanks for the info and study! I love studies!

bunzfan
June 26th, 2012, 01:55 AM
I was pretty nervous reading your post till i saw my shakes have both in them:) thanks for the info its good to hear the good and bad. Maybe thats why so many male body-builders have so little hair:p

Allychan
June 26th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Are we drinking it this time or pouring it on our heads?

Jing
June 26th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Are we drinking it this time or pouring it on our heads?

Drinking it. I use isolate, and it has in fact decreased my shedding. YMMV? I guess I'll switch to concentrate once my bag is empty just to be on the safe side, but I haven't been able to find a concentrate that doesn't contain sweeteners and flavouring and all that unwanted jazz.

gthlvrmx
July 8th, 2012, 12:50 PM
oh wow, i have a mix it says

other ingredients: premium whey protein blend(whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate)

so im confused, is it ok to be using this or should i switch over to a new kind?