PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo Against Breakage?

ScarletRose
June 25th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I have a question that has been bothering me for a few days. Does anyone know of a great shampoo or conditioner that helps prevent breakage? I am currently using Tresemme Split Remedy, and over the last few months and after some recent research, I have found that this is a bust. It seems like I always end up with more split ends than when I began, and I think I'm bordering on "obsession" when it comes to S&D :scissors: lol. And just yesterday I noticed a few that have damage almost half way up the strands! shudder:
I'm all so new to the world of long haircare and I don't even know where to begin. Your suggestions would be so so helpful! :flowers:

I was thinking maybe I should throw in that I'm not really looking for shampoo that will get rid of my splits and breakage, but to find one that would help strengthen hair. I understand the only way to get rid of them is to cut it out, but I'm looking towards prevention.

caadam
June 25th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Just remember this: there is nothing that can repair a split end. All you can do is either deal with it or cut it off. You can't repair it, meld it back together. I'm actually kind of disappointed that Tresemme would market something like this, but hey... I guess they would. lol I saw it in my Walmart last week and was slightly flabbergasted.

I don't know if there's any shampoo or conditioner that could protect against split ends (I wonder if there's any at all, really), but there are certain other products you can put on your hair to prevent them.

I would have to say that my first suggestion is mineral oil. Mineral oil has helped a good amount of people in this forum to protect their hair against damage (like heat styling), and you don't need to use a lot of it, either. Just a few drops, and that's it. It's also easy to wash off when needed.

If you heat style, I suggest using products that are designed to protect hair when you're blow drying/straightening/curling (I don't know much about them because I don't use any heat). However, if you're that worried about split ends, then you might want to stay away from heat styling altogether.

Silverbrumby
June 25th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I have a question that has been bothering me for a few days. Does anyone know of a great shampoo or conditioner that helps prevent breakage? I am currently using Tresemme Split Remedy, and over the last few months and after some recent research, I have found that this is a bust. It seems like I always end up with more split ends than when I began, and I think I'm bordering on "obsession" when it comes to S&D :scissors: lol. And just yesterday I noticed a few that have damage almost half way up the strands! shudder:
I'm all so new to the world of long haircare and I don't even know where to begin. Your suggestions would be so so helpful! :flowers:

Please post your hair routine. Shampoo, cond schedule, heat, brushing, sleeping hair do etc.

You can't repair the splits but it sounds like you are doing something to bring them on. I hardly have any splits any more since joining the LHC forum and cutting out the heat damage.

Seeshami
I absolutely love Dove Damage Therapy conditioner. I get the Intensive repair and use it when my hair feels like it needs a miracle. Of course every head of hair is different and when it came to playing with repairing things after trying to remove henna ingrediants where the last thing on my mind. Something that made my hair feel like hair instead of straw was the goal and that's what Dove does for me. I also love Renpure products, Nature's Gate and Organix. But I don't read labels I buy stuff that smells good to me.

caadam
ALSO... you need to pay attention to how you're handling your hair. Treat it like fine old lace, as in gently and carefully. Don't brush/comb it roughly (in fact, if you haven't invested in a comb, that might be a good idea. It'll cause less damage), and always start from the ends up. Don't brush hair when it's wet because that's when hair is at its weakest state.

Seeshami
June 25th, 2012, 10:29 PM
ALSO... you need to pay attention to how you're handling your hair. Treat it like fine old lace, as in gently and carefully. Don't brush/comb it roughly (in fact, if you haven't invested in a comb, that might be a good idea. It'll cause less damage), and always start from the ends up. Don't brush hair when it's wet because that's when hair is at its weakest state.

I just came back to add in this exact thought. My detangling routine actually was the only thing I have changed recently and seen less splits and knots. This is another thing that one persons sworn holy grail is another persons hell.

To detangle the naughty mess:
It must be dry, no dampness, dry dry dry.
I use a brush! (oh no!)
I have a TT which I love and does a wonderful job but it cannot get through to the under layers of my hair. Like the back of my head rats nest, yeah it just laughs at me.
And then a braid happens immediately after, do not pass go do not collect 100 dollars the naughty mess doesn't leave the bathroom unbraided.

ScarletRose
June 25th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Please post your hair routine. Shampoo, cond schedule, heat, brushing, sleeping hair do etc.

You can't repair the splits but it sounds like you are doing something to bring them on. I hardly have any splits any more since joining the LHC forum and cutting out the heat damage.

To be honest, I don't have much of a routine as of yet. I just decided to grow to great lengths a couple of months ago, and like I said, I don't even know where to start lol. I have just been washing every other day and using a spray in conditioner. I HAVE noticed a bit of a change after I stopped using my brush as much. I have been using a wide tooth comb and I do go from the bottom up. And lately, I've been french braiding my hair every night before bed because I noticed it gets a bunch of little tangles if I don't.

Silverbrumby
June 25th, 2012, 10:38 PM
To be honest, I don't have much of a routine as of yet. I just decided to grow to great lengths a couple of months ago, and like I said, I don't even know where to start lol. I have just been washing every other day and using a spray in conditioner. I HAVE noticed a bit of a change after I stopped using my brush as much. I have been using a wide tooth comb and I do go from the bottom up. And lately, I've been french braiding my hair every night before bed because I noticed it gets a bunch of little tangles if I don't.

Great start. I'd suggest a sulfate free shampoo. I love them. L'Oreal makes a range of them. Love the Aussie 3MM conditioner. It's great for dry hair or damaged. Wide tooth combing is a must. Hold off on brushing as much as possible unless you have a terrific BBB. I use to brush my hair wet before LHC. I also use leave in conditioner and bun it as much as possible, hardly ever wear it down. At night I bun or braid it and have a satin pillow slip I got off Amazon.com.

Are you blow drying or flat Ironing the hair?

If you only just changed your routine it might take a few trims before you really see a difference in the splits as the 28 inches of hair has had rougher handling and will eventually grow out the damage.

ScarletRose
June 25th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Just remember this: there is nothing that can repair a split end. All you can do is either deal with it or cut it off. You can't repair it, meld it back together. I'm actually kind of disappointed that Tresemme would market something like this, but hey... I guess they would. lol I saw it in my Walmart last week and was slightly flabbergasted.

I don't know if there's any shampoo or conditioner that could protect against split ends (I wonder if there's any at all, really), but there are certain other products you can put on your hair to prevent them.

I would have to say that my first suggestion is mineral oil. Mineral oil has helped a good amount of people in this forum to protect their hair against damage (like heat styling), and you don't need to use a lot of it, either. Just a few drops, and that's it. It's also easy to wash off when needed.

If you heat style, I suggest using products that are designed to protect hair when you're blow drying/straightening/curling (I don't know much about them because I don't use any heat). However, if you're that worried about split ends, then you might want to stay away from heat styling altogether.

When I first saw the shampoo, all I could think was how amazing it sounded, I didn't even stop to think about if it were actually possible. My mistake! :o
I have recently stopped using heat as much on my hair. I used to do it almost every day, but now I do it MAYBE once a month now.
I just realized I sound a little psycho about split ends, but I hope I'm not as bad as I made it sound! lol
Do you recommend a place to find mineral oil?

Silverbrumby
June 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM
When I first saw the shampoo, all I could think was how amazing it sounded, I didn't even stop to think about if it were actually possible. My mistake! :o
I have recently stopped using heat as much on my hair. I used to do it almost every day, but now I do it MAYBE once a month now.
I just realized I sound a little psycho about split ends, but I hope I'm not as bad as I made it sound! lol

Heat everyday is the death of all but the strongest hair types. I 'fried' my hair with a flat iron over a year ago. Still cutting out the damage.

If you have stopped heat for the most part you will begin to see that after each trim or major chop it will improve. But if you don't trim those heat damaged ends will need lots of TLC. Can't reverse the damage just keep it from getting worse.

ScarletRose
June 25th, 2012, 10:48 PM

I always comb my hair when it's wet, I did not know that it could be a bad idea :bigeyes:

I have a TT which I love and does a wonderful job but it cannot get through to the under layers of my hair. Like the back of my head rats nest, yeah it just laughs at me.

I've heard a little bit about those, but was unsure how it works.

Allychan
June 25th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I tend to steer away from the larger brand name shampoos and conditioners. Some of them do contain really good ingredients but they are usually outnumbered by the usual chemicals that cause cuticle chipping etc.

My favourites are http://www.avalonorganics.com/
I got it in Australia, but I am sure there are other alternative brands that contain all the goodies theirs does including 70% organic contents, essential oils without parabens or sulphates.

Alternatively you could just add coconut oil to your current shampoo to lessen the harshness of the chemicals

caadam
June 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM

Mineral oil can be found where the laxatives are in your grocery store. lol It's where you can find castor oil, too. ;)

And ScarletRose, it's like I said: hair is at its weakest point when it's wet. It's more susceptible to damage in this state, so sometimes it's better to not handle it very much in the shower and just handle it it when it's damp or dry. You're more likely to snap hair and cause splits when it's soaking wet. Maybe this could be a potential problem for you.

Though I know some people can get away with combing in the shower, usually when they're combing through conditioner and such. However, I think at that point it's up to each person's own discretion. For me... I'd rather not take the chance. lol

ScarletRose
June 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Great start. I'd suggest a sulfate free shampoo. I love them. L'Oreal makes a range of them. Love the Aussie 3MM conditioner. It's great for dry hair or damaged. Wide tooth combing is a must. Hold off on brushing as much as possible unless you have a terrific BBB. I use to brush my hair wet before LHC. I also use leave in conditioner and bun it as much as possible, hardly ever wear it down. At night I bun or braid it and have a satin pillow slip I got off Amazon.com.

Are you blow drying or flat Ironing the hair?

If you only just changed your routine it might take a few trims before you really see a difference in the splits as the 28 inches of hair has had rougher handling and will eventually grow out the damage.

Thank you much for your advice :) And you're right about growing out the damage, I don't know why I should expect it to just improve over night! :crazyq:
I really need to make a run to the store for all of the new hair things I need, and I've been wanting a BBB for some time now.

ScarletRose
June 25th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Mineral oil can be found where the laxatives are in your grocery store. lol It's where you can find castor oil, too. ;)

And ScarletRose, it's like I said: hair is at its weakest point when it's wet. It's more susceptible to damage in this state, so sometimes it's better to not handle it very much in the shower and just handle it it when it's damp or dry. You're more likely to snap hair and cause splits when it's soaking wet. Maybe this could be a potential problem for you.

Though I know some people can get away with combing in the shower, usually when they're combing through conditioner and such. However, I think at that point it's up to each person's own discretion. For me... I'd rather not take the chance. lol

Thank you so much for your advice :)
I'm going to refrain from combing my hair while wet and see how it goes!
I hope I'll have the hang of it before too long :whip:

caadam
June 25th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Thank you so much for your advice :)
I'm going to refrain from combing my hair while wet and see how it goes!
I hope I'll have the hang of it before too long :whip:

It'll take a while. I've been on this forum for almost two years, and I'm just now settling into a routine that I like. Not saying it takes everyone that long, but for some, it does. You just gotta take all the suggestions step by step and see how it works out.

So far, though, it looks like you got a nice beginner's routine going on...

AND OH! Have you been looking around the forum a lot? There's this method called CWC (condition-wash-condition). You can read about it more HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39). It could be a method you might want to think about, since you are shampooing regularly. *nods*

Good luck. :flower:

ScarletRose
June 25th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Alternatively you could just add coconut oil to your current shampoo to lessen the harshness of the chemicals

I've been wanting to go get some coconut oil to add to my routine and see if helps with the dryness of my hair. Just need to wait for payday!

ScarletRose
June 25th, 2012, 11:08 PM
It'll take a while. I've been on this forum for almost two years, and I'm just now settling into a routine that I like. Not saying it takes everyone that long, but for some, it does. You just gotta take all the suggestions step by step and see how it works out.

So far, though, it looks like you got a nice beginner's routine going on...

AND OH! Have you been looking around the forum a lot? There's this method called CWC (condition-wash-condition). You can read about it more HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39). It could be a method you might want to think about, since you are shampooing regularly. *nods*

Good luck. :flower:

I have actually been considering that very thing! Thank you very much :flowers:

Silverbrumby
June 25th, 2012, 11:11 PM
I've been wanting to go get some coconut oil to add to my routine and see if helps with the dryness of my hair. Just need to wait for payday!

Careful with the coconut oil. I OVERLOADED when I first joined. Think a fingernail scraping after you wash and no more until the next wash.

ScarletRose
June 25th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Careful with the coconut oil. I OVERLOADED when I first joined. Think a fingernail scraping after you wash and no more until the next wash.

That's good to know, thank you :)

Madora
June 26th, 2012, 07:53 AM
ScarletRose, here's a link to Ktani's article on using catnip rinses to combat split ends:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

She also wrote an article on using mineral oil:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Mineral oil, aka baby oil works best on clarified hair (Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo has gotten good reviews here).

Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo contains only mineral oil and fragrance and works great.

Application:

Put a few drops (not more than 4) of MO into a cap (or small bowl). Take a Q-tip and dip it into the MO, then apply the coated Q-tip all over your palm and fingers. Slide your coated hands through your hair.

IMP: Hair should be DAMP, not dripping

Mineral Oil helps keep moisture inside your hair longer and moisture keeps splits at bay. MO is also a great detangler and helps tame static (frizz).

Arden
June 26th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Great start. I'd suggest a sulfate free shampoo. I love them. L'Oreal makes a range of them..

Everstrong Reconstructing Shampoo

Aqua / Water / Eau, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Glycereth-26, Decyl Glucoside, Parfum / Fragrance, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Ppg-5-Ceteth-20, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-10, Peg-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Propylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Carbomer, C11-15 Pareth-7, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Laureth-9, Linalool, Tocopherol, Limonene, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Benzyl Alcohol, Juniperus Communis Oil / Juniperus Communis Fruit Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil / Rosemary Leaf Oil, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid

I just want to point out that not only is this product full of surfactants, at the very top of the list, but also has lye (sodium hydroxide) with very minimal oil content...

It's also loaded with perabens and alcohols

Arden
June 26th, 2012, 08:50 AM

Aqua / Water / Eau, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Glycereth-26, Decyl Glucoside, Parfum / Fragrance, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Ppg-5-Ceteth-20, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-10, Peg-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Propylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Carbomer, C11-15 Pareth-7, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Laureth-9, Linalool, Tocopherol, Limonene, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Benzyl Alcohol, Juniperus Communis Oil / Juniperus Communis Fruit Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil / Rosemary Leaf Oil, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid

I just want to point out that not only is this product full of surfactants, at the very top of the list, but also has lye (sodium hydroxide) with very minimal oil content...

It's also loaded with perabens and alcohols

I was re reading this ingredients list and a funny though occured to me, it looks like they took a recipe for liquid hand soap, lotion and bar soap, threw in a couple of essential oils that sounded good, mixed it all together and labeled it "sulfate free shampoo" ....lol

Rufflebutt
June 26th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I've always gotten wonderful results with tresseme. But you have to realize that you can't repair your damaged hair, you can only strengthen your un-damaged hair so that it doesn't break in the future.

meteor
June 26th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Awesome! Oils are phenomenal against dryness! While you are waiting for payday, you can combat dryness and figure out how much oil your hair needs by using whatever oils you already have at home: olive oil, grapeseed, avocado, almond, argan, sesame, flaxseed, walnut and many others... are all great and have different health benefits to offer to both hair and skin! Here's a great list of oils and their properties: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74214

Seeshami
June 26th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I've heard a little bit about those, but was unsure how it works.

The best thing to do is look the Tangle Teezer up on youtube. The way the gentleman who invented it uses it, does make my hands itch and my skin crawl I would love to slap his face for raking it through the hair but there are other smart people who start at the ends with good valid points and info.

Silverbrumby
June 26th, 2012, 11:13 PM

From an older LHC thread

None of them are sulphates. To summarize the difference: their molecules are large compared to sulphate molecules so they don't penetrate the skin and cause irritation like sulphates do and are much milder cleansers.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57775

Arden
June 26th, 2012, 11:20 PM

From an older LHC thread

None of them are sulphates. To summarize the difference: their molecules are large compared to sulphate molecules so they don't penetrate the skin and cause irritation like sulphates do and are much milder cleansers.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57775

Huh, well ya learn somthing new everyday... I'll have to do some reading here... I'll get back to ya on that....

Still looks like a cocktail of hand "soap" and lotion though.. lol

Silverbrumby
June 26th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Huh, well ya learn somthing new everyday... I'll have to do some reading here... I'll get back to ya on that....

Still looks like a cocktail of hand "soap" and lotion though.. lol

It works pretty good for hand lotion lol. I've used the organic stuff and it just doesn't cut it for my hair. Probably just haven't found the right brand yet and they are sooooo expensive where I live. They tend to run at $12 up to $24 a bottle. I'm open to suggestion here.

I just got a sample for Good Earth in Fairfax where I live for the John Masters organics Lavender and Avocado intensive conditioner. I wish more organic makers did these samples because the cost of trying them scares me off. I've had to many 'fails'. The Everstrong works well for me hair. Less shedding. Maybe my scalp hates sulfates? Something to think about.

Arden
June 27th, 2012, 01:11 PM
It works pretty good for hand lotion lol. I've used the organic stuff and it just doesn't cut it for my hair. Probably just haven't found the right brand yet and they are sooooo expensive where I live. They tend to run at $12 up to $24 a bottle. I'm open to suggestion here.

I just got a sample for Good Earth in Fairfax where I live for the John Masters organics Lavender and Avocado intensive conditioner. I wish more organic makers did these samples because the cost of trying them scares me off. I've had to many 'fails'. The Everstrong works well for me hair. Less shedding. Maybe my scalp hates sulfates? Something to think about.

Well I only say the lotion bit because it has dimethicone (I can pick up just about any bottle of lotion and it's in the ingredients list) ....I had never even noticed it until I looked up the ingredients list

I know my hair hates sulfates... I was having a horrible time with shedding and I started doing no poo.... I would once a week do wash with regular shampoo and the amout of hair that would come out would be really noticable....

At the moment I'm stumped myself for a product... I had tried Deva curl the last few days and although my hair seemed to love it I discovered that I am allergic to somthing in it.... I'm heart broken about it because my hair was so soft and pretty and i've never found anything that did for my hair what it did... but my scalp a few hours after using it would be on fire... I did a patch test today on my wrists with the shapoo and conditioner and within 20 mins of it being on my wrists my skin started to itch so I had to take it back....

I will however be doing tons of research to find anything comparable... (that doesnt burn me up) ....and I'll be the first to let you know when I find the solution...

heidi w.
June 27th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I have fairly long hair, and I have to tell ya, I have splits. It isn't very hard to find them, even. I don't S&D overly often; I don't trim a whole lot...my hair hardly grows anymore. Part of this split business and damage business is simply about managing, not seeking to have perfection. It's generally not going to happen. Some people declare they have no splits, but I am betting that most of those folks, if they gave me a chance, I could find a split. While a select few have the perfect hair, it generally doesn't exist, really. So stop making yourself crazy chasing after perfect hair. Just take care of what you've got, occasionally s&d because over-S&Ding can lead to you thinning your hair too much. (I've had that happen. It drove me nuts.) Quit searching for the pefect shampoo that's gonna fix your hair. There are no fixes for damages, other than cutting it out, or live with it til time comes that it's ok to trim it out. Don't use heat on your hair, wear your hair up to protect it, that kind of thing. Use a qualify conditioner. Spend your money on a great conditioner. Oil the length, perhaps....or use a leave-in (some can do both, although I can't).

Just take care of what you've got, learn to keep it under managed control, and disregard the idea of perfect hair. It's a lot easier to proceed this way. Don't drive yourself nuts over your hair. The goal is to enjoy your hair. If you're going nuts over your hair and chasing perfect hair, you're not enjoying your hair.

It gets easier as you gather more information on the how-to. That takes time. So does great hair. It's an art in patience.

heidi w.