PDA

View Full Version : Is hair spray ok?

carrieavaught
June 25th, 2012, 10:16 PM
In a previous thread I posted a pic of the zipper braid my husband put in my hair. Well he was wanting to do that with my youngest daughter's hair. Her hair isn't as curly as mine so he thinks it would be easier. But it is fine so her hair will come out within an hour. Can I safely use hairspray? If so what's the best spray I can without going to a salon. We can't afford it.

christyrose
June 25th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I can say from personal experience that hair spray is drying to your hair. Since I stopped dying and using heat on my hair as often I still use hair spray and my hair is in good condition. I always wash my hair the night or the next day after using hair spray though. I think if you use it every now in then it wont hurt but I wouldnt do it everyday. They do make professional hairspray that is better but I cant afford that so I get aussie brand, or suave brand. Not an expert here but I thought I would add my 2 cents in.LOL

Roscata
June 25th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Here's a link that will give you recipes to make your own natural, non-drying hair spray (I find it to be the cheapest solution as well): NaturalStylingProducts (https://sites.google.com/site/roscatahair/naturalproducts).

Good luck! :)

Lady Neeva
June 25th, 2012, 10:52 PM
All I can say is that they're a heck of a time to clarify out.

Tisiloves
June 25th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I would advise against hairspray, it did some serious damage to my hair, it welds strands together.

carrieavaught
June 25th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I can say from personal experience that hair spray is drying to your hair. Since I stopped dying and using heat on my hair as often I still use hair spray and my hair is in good condition. I always wash my hair the night or the next day after using hair spray though. I think if you use it every now in then it wont hurt but I wouldnt do it everyday. They do make professional hairspray that is better but I cant afford that so I get aussie brand, or suave brand. Not an expert here but I thought I would add my 2 cents in.LOL
I don't use it hardly ever, and even less than that on my children's hair. Thank you.

Here's a link that will give you recipes to make your own natural, non-drying hair spray (I find it to be the cheapest solution as well): NaturalStylingProducts (https://sites.google.com/site/roscatahair/naturalproducts).
Thanks for that! :)
Good luck! :)

All I can say is that they're a heck of a time to clarify out.
What do I use to clarify? I've never even heard of that until I came on here.

MiamiPineapple
June 25th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I use hairspray to keep my bun in place all day and I have never had any issues. I just use Suave I think its like $1 a bottle. My mom has used hairspray everyday for as long as I can remember and her hair is beautiful.

leilasahhar
June 25th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I have a bunch of new "sprouts" on the top of my head :)) annoying BUT it means I am getting in new growth which im so happy about! Anyway I sometimes use hairspray or mousse to keep them down instead of spiraling upward..it seems to help.

Kayla Nyx
June 25th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I make my own hairspray.. 1 cup distilled water, 2 tablespoon sugar and 1 tablespoon alcohol. heat the water up to almost boiling and dissolve the sugar. let it cool and add the alcohol (to preserve the sugar) and keep refrigerated. it works pretty well for me and my aunt.

HintOfMint
June 26th, 2012, 12:01 AM
There are alcohol free hairsprays which shouldn't be as drying as regular hairsprays.

Also, wet your hair to dissolve the dried hairspray before you take your hair out of its style to prevent welded strands from ripping apart.

carrieavaught
June 26th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Also, wet your hair to dissolve the dried hairspray before you take your hair out of its style to prevent welded strands from ripping apart.
That is a great tip to remember, as she is extremely tender headed. I will use that tip for sure. I think it would make it easier on her to shampoo if I wet it before I take the braid out.

caadam
June 26th, 2012, 12:19 AM
What do I use to clarify? I've never even heard of that until I came on here.

Clarifying is essential to keep away buildup or to take it away when you're already experiencing it. You can use certain shampoos that will clarify your hair and scalp, which in turn will wash off residue that's left over from products.

Hairspray will eventually build up on the hair, and even the scalp. You will need to clarify in order to get it off. Suave and VO5 have good clarifying shampoos. You can also take a basic shampoo and mix a little bit of baking soda into it (since baking soda is very clarifying, but make sure you have something to moisturize your hair afterward, because baking soda is also very drying), but not too much. You can also use baking soda and water, but again, not very much or else it'll leave your hair very dry and tangly.

Neutrogena has an anti-residue shampoo that I personally use once in a blue moon. lol It works well, but I dilute it instead of pile it on on my head. I'm using less product that way, and keeping my hair from getting too dried up.

carrieavaught
June 26th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Clarifying is essential to keep away buildup or to take it away when you're already experiencing it. You can use certain shampoos that will clarify your hair and scalp, which in turn will wash off residue that's left over from products.

Hairspray will eventually build up on the hair, and even the scalp. You will need to clarify in order to get it off. Suave and VO5 have good clarifying shampoos. You can also take a basic shampoo and mix a little bit of baking soda into it (since baking soda is very clarifying, but make sure you have something to moisturize your hair afterward, because baking soda is also very drying), but not too much. You can also use baking soda and water, but again, not very much or else it'll leave your hair very dry and tangly.

Neutrogena has an anti-residue shampoo that I personally use once in a blue moon. lol It works well, but I dilute it instead of pile it on on my head. I'm using less product that way, and keeping my hair from getting too dried up.
Thank you very much. I already use Suave, and VO5, so I'll search around and see what I can't find.

akilina
June 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I hope someone chimes in and posts the picture of a hairsprayed hair super super super magnified. You'll re think the use of hairspray so much :)
I have, even though I am supposed to love hair spray since I am a hair dresser, I just don't like it on my hair. Try real aloe.

heidihug
June 26th, 2012, 10:50 AM
There are alcohol free hairsprays which shouldn't be as drying as regular hairsprays.
In theory, that should be true. But I've tried several kinds of alcohol-free sprays, and I've found them to be much more damaging, because they are very sticky. They also leave alot of residue, and make the hairs really adhere to each other, which in turn causes damage when you take out your hairstyle and try to detangle before washing. The least damaging sprays, I've found, are the most inexpensive - Suave and Aussie, both in the light to medium hold aerosol variety.

BTW, I use hair spray every day on my bangs/fringe. I use a bit of Suave clarifying shampoo each time I shampoo (2X per week), and don't have any problem with build-up.

carrieavaught
June 26th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I have to get shampoo this weekend anyway, so I'll look for some clarifying. I don't use hairspray very much. Just if I need to dress up or my DH takes me somewhere, and I don't want anything sticking out of place.