PDA

View Full Version : Mineral oil and coconut oil ?

firegypsy
June 25th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I know they do two similar but different things, but I have a quandry. I want the benefits of coconut oil, but can't wear it in my hair during the day without looking really icky. Mineral oil is a miraculous wonder in terms of keeping my hair tangle free and looking great. But it doesn't penetrate the hair shaft.

My question is this: if I do mineral oil during the day and put coconut oil in my hair the night before a wash, can the coconut oil penetrate the mineral oil?

Inquiring minds and alla that.....

swearnsue
June 25th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I've heard that the best way to get the coconut oil into the hair is to use it in a mild shampoo, the oil shampoo method. This would work well with the mineral oil after the shower on damp hair. So you can have the best of both!

firegypsy
June 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM
hmmm, so mix melted coconut oil into the shampoo? that i've not thought of.

jojo
June 25th, 2012, 06:32 PM
heres a link to Ktani's blog http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.co.uk/ she explains about coconut oil in shampoo and mineral oil. She used to be a member on here and has a few threads about this.

I use mineral oil and have had great results, as has my daughter. Well worth trying, but you only need a few drops! its helped prevent my hair from splits and has totally turned around my daughters hair!

ratgirldjh
June 25th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Parachute makes an oil that is a mixture of coconut oil and mineral oil. See it here: http://www.amazon.com/Parachute-Jasmine-Perfumed-Non-sticky-6-7-Fluid/dp/B00295N2MM

I've never tried it myself. Mineral oil didn't end up working out for me.

Wildcat Diva
June 25th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I have read up a bit on coconut oil, and according to Ktani's blog, in order for coconut oil to penetrate it has to have heat or be shampooed in.

I have been thinking about how to use coconut oil effectively, at least in a DT....Here is what I did yesterday, and I don't do this every night by the way:

Coconut oiled from the ears down with a quarter sized dollop. Claw clipped up and left for an hour. Then I added coconut milk all over my hair dry (I know, it's protein!). Plastic cap and then heat cap for 30 minutes. Shampoo bar 2 times then rinse, then added SMT. Left on 30 minutes and then washed out while massaging hair like in the CO method. ACV rinse. Let dry until damp and added three drops mineral oil to finish. Worked great!

How's that for a hair treatment?

Anyway, my goal was to effectively get the oil into my hair, effectively wash out the oil, then seal with the mineral oil. Not sure if I got all the science to work for my benefit with this routine, but it sure was pampering!

pepperminttea
June 25th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Try it. Neither mineral oil or coconut oil are hugely expensive, why not give it a go for a few weeks and see if it works for you? :)

firegypsy
June 25th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I'm using both now, and love them both!

My issue with coconut oil is it looks terrible in my hair, but even without heat, it clearly has helped.

Mineral oil is FANTASTIC in my hair, and I will keep up with it. I just don't know if slathering coconut over it is worth it. It dirties my pillowcase faster, which is a bummer. :p

I can try it! I figured I'd ask you geniuses and see if anyone had an answer. Thanks for the feedback!

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I do a mix of coconut oil and touch of olive oil as a very light leave in, the mix lives in a sterile glass jar with lid in front of a sunny window so the oil stays liquid, I put fresh mint from my garden in and cut up a vanilla bean for the smell of it, I lightly daub my fingertip into the mix then rub both my hands together giving a little bit of friction heat and rub this through my hair post a WO or my weekly CWC, my hair is shiny, managable, and finger comb through able, it let's my hair do it's natural curl thing (I'll get pictures up eventually) without the crazy fly away hair that I usually get and it smells good enough to live with all day every day. Just go really light!

firegypsy
June 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM
that sounds delicious!

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 09:00 PM
It does make me feel like my hair could be edible, I want to add lavender but I don't have any just yet...