PDA

View Full Version : The worst advice.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 02:55 PM
What was the absolute worst advice you ever got when you started trying to grow out your hair?

Mine was from a "friend" who had just chopped her hip length hair up to her jaw because of damage so everything she says is suspect to start with but she swore up and down that you have to brush your hair vigorously while it is wet because that will help to stretch it longer.
Yeah it'll stretch till it goes snap :rolleyes:

spidermom
June 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM
"Grow it without trimming it" (and watch it break off faster than it grows) For me, trimming was absolutely essential.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I was so bad in my younger days about only trimming once every year and then I'd hack all of the years growth right off.

spidermom
June 25th, 2012, 04:17 PM
The last time I grew for a year (2010-2011) without trimming, I had to cut it all off, too. My hair is on the fragile side.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Trims will wait till my hair is long enough for me to s&d and trim myself at this point. I am tired of getting bad cuts :P

Shona
June 25th, 2012, 04:22 PM
"Grow it without trimming it" (and watch it break off faster than it grows) For me, trimming was absolutely essential.

I totally agree with this. Trimming is essential for me also.
I was always told that trimming hair is pointless because I'd just be cutting off my growth, but as spidermom says mine broke off far faster than it was growing!

ohmygackt
June 25th, 2012, 04:22 PM
My moms advise was to never wear my hair up. She thinks the reason for my slight thinning near my bangs is because I always wear it up.

Rosethorn
June 25th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Mine was from a "friend" who had just chopped her hip length hair up to her jaw because of damage so everything she says is suspect to start with but she swore up and down that you have to brush your hair vigorously while it is wet because that will help to stretch it longer.
Yeah it'll stretch till it goes snap :rolleyes:

That's just...... horrible.:(

Shiranshoku
June 25th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Cut off half an inch every month, it'll grow faster. Err, no? My ends take very long to split, so cutting that much off every months is like taking two steps forward, one step backwards. I'll get somewhere eventually, but it takes sooooooooo long.

katiejune
June 25th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I think conventional trimming and LHC trimming is different. Conventional trimming means going to a sylist who takes 1" off every couple months. My trimming means going to a long-hair stylist for a dusting every few months. Big difference.

katiejune
June 25th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Wearing you hair up can cause hairline damage depending on if you are using bands or not and what position you wear it in.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I would only get anywhere in the summer months come winter I'd be loosing length every month. It would probably equal out to no growth what so ever.

pepperminttea
June 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM
"Why don't you just cut it off and get extensions?"

At the time I had old perm and dye damage from chin length down to my ends at MBL-ish, and I knew it'd eventually have to go (and it later did in a big chop), but I was putting it off because I liked the length. This was a friend's solution. The sad thing? At the time I was seriously tempted and thought it was a good idea. That temptation died rather quickly when I found out how much it costs to maintain extensions. Years later when I found out the damage extensions can do, right at the roots, I was thankful I didn't have the means to get them.

Wearing you hair up can cause hairline damage depending on if you are using bands or not and what position you wear it in.

It actually can cause traction alopecia over time if you're regularly putting it up too tightly.

prettyhairisred
June 25th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Cut your hair short!! Sorry but that does NOT complement a heart shaped face! Also, I will never be able to figure out why my mom let me try out a pixie cut for style in grade one!! Definite no-no!

Covet
June 25th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Only detangle when the hair is dry. Remember, YMMV!

winteriscoming
June 25th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Spilt ends make your hair look longer.. Urm not at all!

MissManda
June 25th, 2012, 05:34 PM
"Don't even bother with long hair. It is so much more work!"

Um...
- 5 minutes max for detangling and brushing
- Wash it once or twice a week
- Oil it - 5 minutes tops
- Put it in up less than 5 minutes unless I want to do something fancy
- Trim it every 6+ months, dust in between (10 minutes tops)
- Ignore it
- (Optional) Henna every two months or so
- (Optional) Deep condition whenever (usually while doing other more productive things)

What work? :suspect:

AnnaJamila
June 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
To tear splits up the length of the shaft to make hair fuller. Just . . . ugh! shudder:

Shiranshoku
June 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM
"Don't even bother with long hair. It is so much more work!"

Um...
- 5 minutes max for detangling and brushing
- Wash it once or twice a week
- Oil it - 5 minutes tops
- Put it in up less than 5 minutes unless I want to do something fancy
- Trim it every 6+ months, dust in between (10 minutes tops)
- Ignore it
- (Optional) Henna every two months or so
- (Optional) Deep condition whenever (usually while doing other more productive things)

What work? :suspect:

So true! My hair usually cooperates well when short, but my sister recently cut her MBL length and it drives her up the wall now, because it takes way longer to style in the morning and won't lie flat no matter what. So now she's bought a straightening iron.

ohmygackt
June 25th, 2012, 05:59 PM
If you wear headbands it can thin it? Crap, because I always wear one O_O

SacantRoese
June 25th, 2012, 06:04 PM
The worst advice I ever got was from a girl at work. She told me that she used to have waist-length hair, so she *knew* what she was talking about. (Her hair is to her chin right now) She said, "Brush your hair ALL the time, even when it is wet. Because long hair tangles a lot." I do not brush my hair, ever. I only comb it. And not when it is wet. Said girl mentioned that she *had* to cut her hair shorter, because it was full of split ends, and was always getting tangled, and took her and hour to wash it. I wear my hair down 90% of the time, but in a braid. Tangles? Nonexistent. Even when it is loose it doesn't get that tangled. And washing my hair takes 15 minutes. She was obviously misled as to how you take care of long hair...:/

CurlyCurves
June 25th, 2012, 06:36 PM
"trimming your hair makes it thicker/grow faster"

"Take/use [insert fad], it'll make your hair grow faster"

etc. Brain's not working. Can't remember anything :bull:

CurlyCurves
June 25th, 2012, 06:40 PM
To tear splits up the length of the shaft to make hair fuller. Just . . . ugh! shudder:

Oh. My. God.

That's horrible.

(Cue hilarious 'shudder' smilie) shudder:shudder:shudder:

MinderMutsig
June 25th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Mega doses of biotin for hair growth. Not just bad advice but also dangerous advice.

Mrsbaybeegurl
June 25th, 2012, 07:10 PM
"Skin and hair is NOT affected by what you eat, just get a good shampoo and conditioner from a salon and use heat protectors daily"

I have learned beauty comes from the inside out in more than one way and our diets do contribute to the health of everything from our skin and nails to the hair on our head. Salon products are hugely overpriced and loaded with things my hair hates like sulfates and cones and there is nothing magical in them that leads to hair growth and while using a heat protecatant may be advisable is also assumes one would heat style their hair daily and I've been heat free since February (when I joined LHC) ;)

Sama
June 25th, 2012, 07:24 PM
It's not exactly advice directed at me, but my BFF swears that dyeing her hair regularly makes it healthier and softer because of the deep conditioner that comes in the at-home-dyeing kit, and that she can always tell that it's time to dye again because her hair starts feeling dry and damaged. :rolleyes: She is also a FIRM believer that monthly 1-inch trims will make the hair grow faster! LOL, my hair doesn't even come close to growing a full inch in any given month - my hair would only get shorter, and shorter, and shorter, if I took her hair-cutting routine advice. :p

mckellyn
June 25th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Trims will wait till my hair is long enough for me to s&d and trim myself at this point. I am tired of getting bad cuts :P

I'm with you on that one! I don't trust any stylist... they always chop off 2" when I wask for 1/2"!

Tisiloves
June 25th, 2012, 07:25 PM
"Layers will give your hair bounce and movement", err, only if it suddenly goes back to being wavy.

prettykitty
June 25th, 2012, 07:50 PM
That bleaching will thicken my hair.
Possibly...until it snaps off.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Said after I was telling people that yes I am "only" 33 but that I want to start growing my silver hair out without any more dye.
She says oh you should use Henna because it will make your hair stronger.
I say isn't that permanent?
She says oh yes but it's so good for your hair!
I say but I am trying to break the dye habit and Henna will still leave me dying every month or so...
She says oh yeah I guess your right!

Silly salon lady. She did however follow my cutting directions this time with a we'll see you in about six weeks! Gotta keep trimming to keep growing! Sure but as I said now the only time scissors will touch my tresses is when it is long enough for me to do by myself.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 08:08 PM
That bleaching will thicken my hair.
Possibly...until it snaps off.
My hair get's "volume" in that I can't pull a freaking brush through it with conditioner in a shower sort of way, bleach would be the reason for my chopping from almost APL to chin this last time! Never ever again!

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 08:10 PM
"Skin and hair is NOT affected by what you eat, just get a good shampoo and conditioner from a salon and use heat protectors daily"

I have learned beauty comes from the inside out in more than one way and our diets do contribute to the health of everything from our skin and nails to the hair on our head. Salon products are hugely overpriced and loaded with things my hair hates like sulfates and cones and there is nothing magical in them that leads to hair growth and while using a heat protecatant may be advisable is also assumes one would heat style their hair daily and I've been heat free since February (when I joined LHC) ;)
Right and next time well be told that what we eat does not actually effect your weight.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Mega doses of biotin for hair growth. Not just bad advice but also dangerous advice.
Gotta know how much you should take then not go past safe limits, pretty long hair is great, being really sick is not.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 08:13 PM
It's not exactly advice directed at me, but my BFF swears that dyeing her hair regularly makes it healthier and softer because of the deep conditioner that comes in the at-home-dyeing kit, and that she can always tell that it's time to dye again because her hair starts feeling dry and damaged. :rolleyes: She is also a FIRM believer that monthly 1-inch trims will make the hair grow faster! LOL, my hair doesn't even come close to growing a full inch in any given month - my hair would only get shorter, and shorter, and shorter, if I took her hair-cutting routine advice. :p
I did that for a loooong time :(

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 08:14 PM
"Layers will give your hair bounce and movement", err, only if it suddenly goes back to being wavy.
I just got my hair evened out to get rid of the "bounce and movement" also known as unruly locks of misbehavior!

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Spilt ends make your hair look longer.. Urm not at all!
Words escape me.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 08:18 PM
If you wear headbands it can thin it? Crap, because I always wear one O_O
I have a leather headband from the 70's in right now, it ties in the back so I just have to keep my hair from catching but it is definitly not a tight hair back kind of thing.

caadam
June 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I keep getting people telling me (not wondering, but TELLING me) that my long hair is so hard to take care of, and that it takes too long to manage.

And I tell them, "Seriously, all I do is take my shower, condition, rinse, let my hair dry, comb, and put up. That's it. I don't know what's making it so hard or taking so long. I don't style my hair, I don't use styling products. It takes me no more than half an hour for my whole shower routine, and I just leave my hair alone."

And these are the same people who are taking 45 minutes to an hour to do all their hair stuff routines. Just... urgh. lol Long hair does not always equal more time to spend taking care of it.

I got that recently from one girl (this girl who kept saying that my routine of just using condish and letting hair dry by itself was too much work compared to her shampoo-condition-dry-blowdry routine, but admitted at the same time that my routine takes less time. Yeah... I don't get it, either) who was persistent in telling me long hair is too much to take care of. Her routine takes over an hour, DOUBLE the time of my routine. She got all pissy and was like, "Bah, whatever." lol

Tazzy
June 25th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I was once told by a hair dresser that if I wanted to grow my hair longer I should USE heat more often! She claimed that the heat on your scalp would help stimulate your hair. Thank goodness I didn't take the advice at the time. Heat is what has caused the most breakage for me.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I keep getting people telling me (not wondering, but TELLING me) that my long hair is so hard to take care of, and that it takes too long to manage.

And I tell them, "Seriously, all I do is take my shower, condition, rinse, let my hair dry, comb, and put up. That's it. I don't know what's making it so hard or taking so long. I don't style my hair, I don't use styling products. It takes me no more than half an hour for my whole shower routine, and I just leave my hair alone."

And these are the same people who are taking 45 minutes to an hour to do all their hair stuff routines. Just... urgh. lol Long hair does not always equal more time to spend taking care of it.

I got that recently from one girl (this girl who kept saying that my routine of just using condish and letting hair dry by itself was too much work compared to her shampoo-condition-dry-blowdry routine, but admitted at the same time that my routine takes less time. Yeah... I don't get it, either) who was persistent in telling me long hair is too much to take care of. Her routine takes over an hour, DOUBLE the time of my routine. She got all pissy and was like, "Bah, whatever." lol
I know the only time my short hair routine was less time consuming for me was when my hair was 1/4 inch long... Talk about low maintanance! Short hair is always in my face, it's just long enough for me to eat and right now I'm trying to learn good behavior for a healthy head of long hair so I'm not using products that I did and I won't use heat so it's driving me batty! Yeah short hair is way easier to deal with. ~face palm~

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I was once told by a hair dresser that if I wanted to grow my hair longer I should USE heat more often! She claimed that the heat on your scalp would help stimulate your hair. Thank goodness I didn't take the advice at the time. Heat is what has caused the most breakage for me.
Oh mercy me no!:draw:Step away from the blowfryer!!!

ladylowtide
June 25th, 2012, 11:13 PM
"You should get a healthy trim!"

Not when you don't get splits! Its just a waste of hair. Maybe if you have fragile hair...but not if its not damaged. :confused: I think people think you have to the salon no matter what every three months.

Well I'm not doing it. I haven't cut or trimmed for 11 months and I have yet to a split end, so I'm not cutting or trimming until the day I do.

I think no one knows your head of hair better than you do. So better not to follow anyone's advice, found out for yourself is what I think.

ladonna
June 25th, 2012, 11:20 PM
wear you're hair in a tight ponytail and do not cut it until you've reached the desired length.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 11:44 PM

Not when you don't get splits! Its just a waste of hair. Maybe if you have fragile hair...but not if its not damaged. :confused: I think people think you have to the salon no matter what every three months.

Well I'm not doing it. I haven't cut or trimmed for 11 months and I have yet to a split end, so I'm not cutting or trimming until the day I do.

I think no one knows your head of hair better than you do. So better not to follow anyone's advice, found out for yourself is what I think.
I think I'll be s&ding for a while, but no more big chops.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 11:46 PM
wear you're hair in a tight ponytail and do not cut it until you've reached the desired length.
I partially agree with this, not the tight part since I am headache prone and you can do serious damage to your hair that way but ignoring my hair is great when I stop obsessing about it it just grows on it's own like magic, of course now with proper measuring I can track month to month growth so that should be entertaining right?

Wayuki
June 26th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I was told I should keep my hair short because it's "way too thin" to look good long.

PolarCathy
June 26th, 2012, 07:23 AM
The worst advice - actually they did it to me for several years, not just advised - was to razor thin mine or else I quote "I'll never look decent, and no one will take me seriously, let alone give me a job, with that poofball I have"

Arden
June 26th, 2012, 08:03 AM

The world is full of bad hair advice but this one gets me the most. Since joining the LHC (and I've not been here very long) every idea I had about hair has been challenged... and thats a good thing....

The split end thing though just kills me. For YEARS I belived that when my hair looked "frayed" at the ends it was "split ends" .....I got my hair cut constantly because sometimes the day after a haircut it would already start to look "frayed"

Well here's what I've learned... That frayed look is my hemline not laying straight... I can not recall ever in my life having a TRUE split end... Yea hair dressers tell me constantly you cant go any longer than 6 weeks or your hair will split.... Let me say again, I can not remember EVER having a true split end in my life...

Also I have learned between LHC and the naturally curly forum that the reason my hemline always looks frayed, especially right after a haircut, is because my hair is acctually wavy, not stright, and once I wash my hair and it's product / blow-fryer free (in otherwords I dont style it the way they do at the salon) the hemline gets choppy because it wasnt cut properly for my natural hair type.... I can only imagine what really curly girls go threw... must be a nightmare...

I could go on for DAYS with all the bad advice I've been given about my hair in general.. but the WORST ever I think was from a girl who worked at the beauty supply store who told me if I wanted to have super healthy long hair I should moisturize it really well....

Now here's the thing... I dont nessisarily disagree with this persay but she sold me products that are intended for "black girl" hair.... I'm predominatly scotish, fine to med textured hair and pale as a sheet except in the summer (I live in the south on the coast so color comes eventually)

I went home, use this heavy moisturizing leave in stuff thinking it would make my hair super healthy....

Yea... I have no idea what was in that stuff but my hair was felt more damaged than it would with back to back bleaching... It was like mush and started breaking off in my hands....

i'm not saying moisture isnt good for your hair, but dont trust what people say just on thier word... Dont use anything without religiously examining the ingredients.. and your ethnic makeup and hair type matters where you hair is concerned... Dont let anyone convence you diffrently

LaFlor
June 26th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I was always made to believe that the more expensive shampoos and conditioners were healthier for my hair and that the cheaper ones were damaging my hair.

I can see how this might seem true for those who have tons of damage... since all the silicones and formulas probably make hair look much better.

Also if you are using a shampoo/conditioner/routine that doesn't suit your hair it might also seem that way as well.

What a lie!

Arden
June 26th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I was always made to believe that the more expensive shampoos and conditioners were healthier for my hair and that the cheaper ones were damaging my hair.

I can see how this might seem true for those who have tons of damage... since all the silicones and formulas probably make hair look much better.

Also if you are using a shampoo/conditioner/routine that doesn't suit your hair it might also seem that way as well.

What a lie!

It's not the price you need to be looking at, it's the ingredients.... Healthy hair or not silicones weight down your hair and if you use them constantly you have no idea how damaged your hair is or not.... you may not even know what your real hair looks like... and sulfates are awful... but to each thier own I guess...

I dont think more expensive is nessisarily better but I'm an avid ingredient list reader....

SerinaDaith
June 26th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I was told I should keep my hair short because it's "way too thin" to look good long.
My mom's hair is finer than yours if your avatar picture is you and she looks just fine with her "terminal" length just below BSL. I say terminal with bunny ears because her hair is fragile and she cannot leave the blowfryer alone and freaks out about the idea of oiling even after I showed her oils in some of her favorite hair serums.

SerinaDaith
June 26th, 2012, 08:38 AM
The worst advice - actually they did it to me for several years, not just advised - was to razor thin mine or else I quote "I'll never look decent, and no one will take me seriously, let alone give me a job, with that poofball I have"
If your hair is thick it should be fine if it's black it should be red if it's short it should be long if it's long it should be short... We have such a hard time being happy with who we are that it's impossible to feel good when you walk out the door if you listen to what people say outside of this site anyways ;)

SerinaDaith
June 26th, 2012, 08:41 AM
The world is full of bad hair advice but this one gets me the most. Since joining the LHC (and I've not been here very long) every idea I had about hair has been challenged... and thats a good thing....

The split end thing though just kills me. For YEARS I belived that when my hair looked "frayed" at the ends it was "split ends" .....I got my hair cut constantly because sometimes the day after a haircut it would already start to look "frayed"

Well here's what I've learned... That frayed look is my hemline not laying straight... I can not recall ever in my life having a TRUE split end... Yea hair dressers tell me constantly you cant go any longer than 6 weeks or your hair will split.... Let me say again, I can not remember EVER having a true split end in my life...

Also I have learned between LHC and the naturally curly forum that the reason my hemline always looks frayed, especially right after a haircut, is because my hair is acctually wavy, not stright, and once I wash my hair and it's product / blow-fryer free (in otherwords I dont style it the way they do at the salon) the hemline gets choppy because it wasnt cut properly for my natural hair type.... I can only imagine what really curly girls go threw... must be a nightmare...

I could go on for DAYS with all the bad advice I've been given about my hair in general.. but the WORST ever I think was from a girl who worked at the beauty supply store who told me if I wanted to have super healthy long hair I should moisturize it really well....

Now here's the thing... I dont nessisarily disagree with this persay but she sold me products that are intended for "black girl" hair.... I'm predominatly scotish, fine to med textured hair and pale as a sheet except in the summer (I live in the south on the coast so color comes eventually)

I went home, use this heavy moisturizing leave in stuff thinking it would make my hair super healthy....

Yea... I have no idea what was in that stuff but my hair was felt more damaged than it would with back to back bleaching... It was like mush and started breaking off in my hands....

i'm not saying moisture isnt good for your hair, but dont trust what people say just on thier word... Dont use anything without religiously examining the ingredients.. and your ethnic makeup and hair type matters where you hair is concerned... Dont let anyone convence you diffrently
Oh my gosh I had never thought about the fact that my hemline will never be "even". It's curly now and who knows maybe it'll stay super curly now that I am letting it do what it wants while it dries. Even when I was younger it was wavy so I always thought my hair looked bad because I never got a nice blunt hemline. Face Palm!

SerinaDaith
June 26th, 2012, 08:44 AM

What a lie!
I seriously would shop for the most expensive hair products thinking that price meant quality, now I spend very little on my hair each month, like pennies actually and my hair looks better now than it ever did before. Thank you TLHC!

Arden
June 26th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I seriously would shop for the most expensive hair products thinking that price meant quality, now I spend very little on my hair each month, like pennies actually and my hair looks better now than it ever did before. Thank you TLHC!

Well yea, you can litterally spend pennies. Baking soda, ACV, oilve oil... throw in a few herbal rinses if you like.... Most very basic but does the job and doesnt have all those weird chemicals to boot

Sylvestrix
June 26th, 2012, 08:57 AM

This is definitely the worst advice I've ever had, too. I'll admit it can be a burden at times when it won't behave just as I expect, but I love my thick hair! Thinning is just not for me. Shudder!

I used to be told this all the time! I always felt like I'd never have nice hair, because I simply couldn't justify the expense, till one day I went to a hairdresser who absolutely raved about the condition of my hair. I sort of figured out then that as long as I was using the right things for my hair, then the pricetag didn't figure in quite as much as I'd worried :D

If your hair is thick it should be fine if it's black it should be red if it's short it should be long if it's long it should be short... We have such a hard time being happy with who we are that it's impossible to feel good when you walk out the door if you listen to what people say outside of this site anyways ;)

If it's up it should be down! My hair isn't even approaching long by the standards on here, but the number of times I've been told to 'wear it up because its horrible and too long' to wear down, or vice versa because its too nice to wear up!
I tend to be more agreeable to that second one though, at least 'wear your hair down because it's too pretty to wear up' is a compliment of sorts!

afu
June 26th, 2012, 09:16 AM

This is the reason I like to maintain my U shaped fairytale hemline rather than a blunt one, it makes the 'frayed' look much less obvious. Oiling my ends also helps because it helps the hair to 'stick' into 'groups' of waves/curls rather than just each hair doing it's own thing and sticking in every direction possible!

The worst advice I have been given is to make sure I pile protein heavy products onto my hair because I get bleach highlights - if I use protein at all my hair just turns brittle and snaps off when dry and feels like mush when wet - i have to totally avoid it.

I think the worst hair advice really is any advice which generalises too much, LHC is great for reminding us that YMMV with any technique or product and that it is important to really tailor your routine and 'listen' to your hair.

pink.sara
June 26th, 2012, 09:18 AM

THIS!!!

I mentioned I was growing it out the last time I went to a Hair Salon (July 2010) and the Hairdresser recommended 5000mg of Biotin every day for hair growth, then I read about it on here, gave it a go and ended up with the worst spots I've ever had in my life (I've never had spots) and regular aura migraines.

Not to mention reading about one poor members kidney damage :(

Arden
June 26th, 2012, 09:26 AM
This is the reason I like to maintain my U shaped fairytale hemline rather than a blunt one, it makes the 'frayed' look much less obvious. Oiling my ends also helps because it helps the hair to 'stick' into 'groups' of waves/curls rather than just each hair doing it's own thing and sticking in every direction possible!

The worst advice I have been given is to make sure I pile protein heavy products onto my hair because I get bleach highlights - if I use protein at all my hair just turns brittle and snaps off when dry and feels like mush when wet - i have to totally avoid it.

I think the worst hair advice really is any advice which generalises too much, LHC is great for reminding us that YMMV with any technique or product and that it is important to really tailor your routine and 'listen' to your hair.

can LHC get a "like" botton like facebook? I really need a "like" botton right now.. lol

firegypsy
June 26th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I have pretty thin hair, but my hairdresser ALWAYS razors it.

I was always :confused: but she said it made it lay better.

Since deciding to grow it back (it's been "short" for about ten years) I'll not be going back. I take my daughter to a barber and he does a great job of listening and doesn't engage in any funny business. :p

Nenyath
June 26th, 2012, 09:35 AM

Seriously? I love the wilder look of your hair, I appreciate mine being all straight and neat, but that does not stop be from envying a bit of gorgeous wildness!

PolarCathy
June 26th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Seriously? I love the wilder look of your hair, I appreciate mine being all straight and neat, but that does not stop be from envying a bit of gorgeous wildness!

Well especially the "job" part hurt... :o

Nenyath
June 26th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Well especially the "job" part hurt... :o

The world is full of Nay Sayers! Never believe them! Best response is always "Yay!" ;)

meteor
June 26th, 2012, 09:47 AM
It's not exactly advice directed at me, but my BFF swears that dyeing her hair regularly makes it healthier and softer because of the deep conditioner that comes in the at-home-dyeing kit, and that she can always tell that it's time to dye again because her hair starts feeling dry and damaged. :rolleyes:
That's really funny! She should simply do DT every time she feels that it's time to dye again! That said, I absolutely agree that deep conditioners from dyeing kits are impressively rich and I miss them! Anybody knows if any dyeing-kit quality conditioners that are sold separately from the dye?

citadel
June 26th, 2012, 09:55 AM
That's really funny! She should simply do DT every time she feels that it's time to dye again! That said, I absolutely agree that deep conditioners from dyeing kits are impressively rich and I miss them! Anybody knows if any dyeing-kit quality conditioners that are sold separately from the dye?

The only thing for me that has come close is L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Nurturing Cream. It comes in a big tub at Sally Beauty Supply, and it's super thick, very goopy, but insanely rich and moisturizing.

SerinaDaith
June 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I have pretty thin hair, but my hairdresser ALWAYS razors it.

I was always :confused: but she said it made it lay better.

Since deciding to grow it back (it's been "short" for about ten years) I'll not be going back. I take my daughter to a barber and he does a great job of listening and doesn't engage in any funny business. :p
Why on earth would you need to thin out thin hair??? I'd be very worried about that person with the razor on my hair.

jacqueline101
June 26th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I was told to pull it and it will help it grow.

longNred
June 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
"no one's hair ever fell out from using a cheap box dye. Just go for it!"

no thanks, I'll stick with henna.

carolinaberry
June 26th, 2012, 10:14 PM
When my 13 yo daughter was between 3-6, I was instinctively (trial-and-error) using something similar to a "curly girl" method on her very curly hair (I'm unsure of her type-it is super curly, curls ranging in size from 3b-4a I would say). I would sit her in the tub, shampoo her scalp, rinse condition while finger combing out tangles, rinse, then put on a heavy conditioner, finger comb again and not rinse. Her curls were healthy and fabulous. Every single time I took her to a salon for a trim, they would tell me I was damaging her hair by leaving in conditioner-that I was going to make it all fall out/break off). They told me a relaxer was much better for her hair. I didn't listen, because these were the same "experts" who would try to rip a brush through her dry hair and then whine because it didn't work. *I* had to show *them* that with hair like hers, you had to wet it (at least dampen) then finger comb it, then wide-tooth comb it-starting at the ends.

snowcloud
June 26th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Cut Your Hair!! ~worst advice ever

Hollyfire3
June 26th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Wow! i'm sorry you were given that advice...how to tell a hairdresser is truly great, they tell you NOT to thin (do not ever ever ever) your thick hair. Yeah, my hairdresser said that last time I was there for a dusting, great advice, and I thought how truly wonderful it would be if we all had stylists like that.

SerinaDaith
June 26th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Sorry guys I was trying to be all super thread starter person and give each of you individual comments but as of tonight Colorado Springs is on fire, my family and I are safe for now on the far south end but I have friends and evacuated from homes and childhood memories going up in smoke so I'll probably be stepping back from poking each of you for being awesome for a bit. Sorry guys, anyone know how to get smoke smell out of your hair without constant washing?

Tisiloves
June 26th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Sorry guys I was trying to be all super thread starter person and give each of you individual comments but as of tonight Colorado Springs is on fire, my family and I are safe for now on the far south end but I have friends and evacuated from homes and childhood memories going up in smoke so I'll probably be stepping back from poking each of you for being awesome for a bit. Sorry guys, anyone know how to get smoke smell out of your hair without constant washing?

Spritz of lime juice and water, worked to get BBQ out of JoFlakes' hair.

Hollyfire3
June 26th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Oh! I wish you the best of luck and good wishes that all is alright by morning or very soon.

Debra83
June 26th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Big hug. Stay safe.

HintOfMint
June 27th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Your hair must be flat ironed in order to look good.

Eff. Off.

And of course, "You look so great with short hair!" No, I don't. I look like a hamster with his cheeks chock full of feed.

CurlyCurves
June 27th, 2012, 10:35 AM
It's not the price you need to be looking at, it's the ingredients.... Healthy hair or not silicones weight down your hair and if you use them constantly you have no idea how damaged your hair is or not.... you may not even know what your real hair looks like... and sulfates are awful... but to each thier own I guess...

I dont think more expensive is nessisarily better but I'm an avid ingredient list reader....

When I don't use cones, my hair seems to get dry and tangled :confused::confused: I've spent so much money on expensive conditioners, only to have crap hair. Then I buy a coney cheap condish, and it's back to normal :confused:

But then again, I'm still learning about my hair.

*Edit* I avoid sulfates like the plague, though. I only shampoo if my hair absolutely feels like it has build up and ACV isn't correcting it.

CurlyCurves
June 27th, 2012, 10:39 AM

Oh no, I'm sorry :( good luck! Hope you're okay x

RileyJane
June 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM
" Just let it grow, and you can keep coloring it!"

Yeahhhh, if I want to have no healthy hair, thanks Auntie :rolleyes:

heidi w.
June 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM
My moms advise was to never wear my hair up. She thinks the reason for my slight thinning near my bangs is because I always wear it up.

That thinning is not because you wore it up, but it might have something to do with how tight you may have pulled your hair. A lot of kids pull their hair into too tight of a bun. At a certain age, we tend to copy ballerina buns which are just about the worst kind of buns to create (gymnastics, swimming, and related sports updos....) It's also possible that it may be just a genetic hiccup. Almost everyone has one of some sort. I have a "weak spot" on one side of my hair, it just grows a bit slower than all the rest of my hair resulting in a shorter zonage of hair. Not very noticeable, but when trimming, it becomes very noticeable.

For so many, I think trimming is underdone. I don't think one needs to trim overly often, but perhaps once to twice a year may be necessary to keep the hemline nice. Cause hair grows at different rates in certain zonages of the head, such as down the middle of the back of the head. That hair tends to grow the fastest and longest, which also in part, explains why hair in its natural format tends to be in a kind of upward smile hemline, a very gently sloped 'u', barely discernable. The front or sides of the hair around the ear, especially at the temple in front of the ears tend to grow less speedily and thus a bit shorter. Then drawn over the shoulders, takes up a bit of distance of length, and there we have it. The gentle 'u' shape. I am all for trimming while growing, yet not overly eagerly. Within the context of one's growth rate (average growth rate being a half inch per month....ignoring the growth spurts that we can encounter along the way...)

heidi w.

dollyfish
June 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM
And of course, "You look so great with short hair!" No, I don't. I look like a hamster with his cheeks chock full of feed.

Sounds more like low self esteem talking than bad hair advice. I'm sure you look great with any length of hair.

Signed,

a fellow hamster/chipmunk

Tisiloves
June 27th, 2012, 11:25 AM
When I don't use cones, my hair seems to get dry and tangled :confused::confused: I've spent so much money on expensive conditioners, only to have crap hair. Then I buy a coney cheap condish, and it's back to normal :confused:

But then again, I'm still learning about my hair.

*Edit* I avoid sulfates like the plague, though. I only shampoo if my hair absolutely feels like it has build up and ACV isn't correcting it.

Cones smooth hair and provide slip, some people just need them some seem to do fine with oils, and cone free condish, and acid rinses. YMMV, but I need them to be able fingercomb let alone anything else.

Personally I don't think they hide much damage, because my hair never looked and different cone free, it just tangled a lot, which caused a lot of damage.

Different cones have different properties and purposes, some of them are pretty light.

For further reading see:
Debunking the silicone in haircare myth (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=185), Demystifying the 'cone debate (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=151), and
To cone or not to cone (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13).

RitaCeleste
June 27th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Ooops! That sounds like me! Some people's hair breaks off faster than it grows if they don't trim. Mine just doesn't do this, yet.

Mesmerise
June 27th, 2012, 06:19 PM
On the whole frayed ends are NOT split ends thing... a couple of months my friend got my to trim her DD's hair. She didn't want much off, just wanted the ends tidied. Well, her hair was a bit dry and frayed looking, but I didn't see evidence of any real splits (yes, I'm sure she had some but it wasn't MASSIVELY split).

Well time passes, and my friend decides her DD needs more hair off, and then shows me how much is "split" (it was a good 4-5 inches if not more!!) I was very skeptical. I said that I didn't think her ends were that bad... Anyways, my friend took her to a hairdresser (actually it's a training salon) and she ended up with heaps cut off, taking her back to just past shoulder (she had been at least BSL prior). *sigh*. And THEN my friend showed me how unevenly her hair had been cut and got me to fix it. (It was seriously 1.5" longer on one side than the other, and there were uneven choppy bits at the bottom).

Hmm does anyone notice that hairdressers sometimes do "interesting" things to the ends of hair?? Me, when I'm trimming I just chop it as straight and evenly off the bottom as I can. Hairdressers seem to do weird choppy things sometimes?!

Tisiloves
June 27th, 2012, 06:25 PM
On the whole frayed ends are NOT split ends thing... a couple of months my friend got my to trim her DD's hair. She didn't want much off, just wanted the ends tidied. Well, her hair was a bit dry and frayed looking, but I didn't see evidence of any real splits (yes, I'm sure she had some but it wasn't MASSIVELY split).

Well time passes, and my friend decides her DD needs more hair off, and then shows me how much is "split" (it was a good 4-5 inches if not more!!) I was very skeptical. I said that I didn't think her ends were that bad... Anyways, my friend took her to a hairdresser (actually it's a training salon) and she ended up with heaps cut off, taking her back to just past shoulder (she had been at least BSL prior). *sigh*. And THEN my friend showed me how unevenly her hair had been cut and got me to fix it. (It was seriously 1.5" longer on one side than the other, and there were uneven choppy bits at the bottom).

Hmm does anyone notice that hairdressers sometimes do "interesting" things to the ends of hair?? Me, when I'm trimming I just chop it as straight and evenly off the bottom as I can. Hairdressers seem to do weird choppy things sometimes?!

I think its meant to soften the hemline or something, I remember something similar when I wanted my fringe to be less blunt.

Mesmerise
June 27th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I think its meant to soften the hemline or something, I remember something similar when I wanted my fringe to be less blunt.

Well I figured there had to be some logic to it :). At the same time, I find most blunt hemlines soften pretty quickly as the hair grows anyway. I suppose it could be the mentality of "trimming every 6 to 8 weeks" though... there's not as much time for softening when the hair is trimmed regularly!!

I do think it's a bit annoying though when you specify that you want a blunt cut!

Tisiloves
June 27th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Well I figured there had to be some logic to it :). At the same time, I find most blunt hemlines soften pretty quickly as the hair grows anyway. I suppose it could be the mentality of "trimming every 6 to 8 weeks" though... there's not as much time for softening when the hair is trimmed regularly!!

I do think it's a bit annoying though when you specify that you want a blunt cut!

I always specify no layers, it's like some of them can't help themselves.

Sivan
June 27th, 2012, 08:08 PM

LOL right... and "layers will give you more volume".
Um, no. All your freaky layers make my hair look thin!!

So happy I smartened up and am layer free lol. I like my bangs though. :)

Arden
June 27th, 2012, 08:15 PM
LOL right... and "layers will give you more volume".
Um, no. All your freaky layers make my hair look thin!!

So happy I smartened up and am layer free lol. I like my bangs though. :)

I think it depends on the layers and / or the hair..... The hairdresser makes a diffrence two... I hate to say there has been more than one occassion I ended up with somthing that was vaugely mullet like... In fact I'm sporting somthing simular right now... lol

HintOfMint
June 27th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Sounds more like low self esteem talking than bad hair advice. I'm sure you look great with any length of hair.

Signed,

a fellow hamster/chipmunk

Haha, good to have a fellow rodent on the boards!

SurferB
June 28th, 2012, 12:40 AM
To go get my hair cut at a salon every 6 weeks to make it grow fast. Yeah, okay. Lets just let the salon cut off my entire head.

CurlyCurves
July 1st, 2012, 06:55 AM
Cones smooth hair and provide slip, some people just need them some seem to do fine with oils, and cone free condish, and acid rinses. YMMV, but I need them to be able fingercomb let alone anything else.

Personally I don't think they hide much damage, because my hair never looked and different cone free, it just tangled a lot, which caused a lot of damage.

Different cones have different properties and purposes, some of them are pretty light.

For further reading see:
Debunking the silicone in haircare myth (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=185), Demystifying the 'cone debate (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=151), and
To cone or not to cone (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13).

Yeah, when my hair is cone-free, it doesn't look damaged, it just gets dry more easily and faster.

And yeah, I've read those!

Lostsoule77
July 1st, 2012, 12:06 PM
That I need to get a cut because I haven't even had a trim in awhile. This was of course by all sorts of regular people. Then I get to the salon and the stylist comments on how healthy my hair is and how I have barely any splits and don't need much cut off. They then proceed to cut layers though! GRRR

mallorykay13
July 1st, 2012, 12:09 PM
Use lots and lots of expensive products. Waste of money AND you can do just as well with cheap products most of the time.
Sidenote: Spidermom, your hair in your siggy looks absolutely amazing. Keep up the good work!

Gingerbear
July 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM
The worst was when a stylist told me I needed regular "trims" to grow faster. The problem was, she ended up layering my hair with very short layers that would just get shorter every time she cut it. I finally just took matters into my own hands and now I self trim with just a light dusting. It's been several years, but I'm still growing the shortest layer. It will be a long time before I let another stylist cut my hair.

chickenetti
July 2nd, 2012, 02:43 AM
I've had people tell me that you shed more if you grow your hair out, as if I would eventually go bald if I let my hair get too long! Also, the advise that I need to trim all the split ends, like cut several inches up to cut off all the split ends, otherwise my hair would do something horrible and sinister (all fall out or something, maybe). Yeah, when you get rid of split ends your hair can look healthier and brush easier, but split ends themselves aren't always the disaster people tell you they are. And nobody ever told me about s&d! I'm so exited that I can get rid of splits w/o removing 6 inches of hair (people literally convinced me to do that when I was a teen, like there was no other option).

SerinaDaith
July 2nd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Chickenetti that sounds like hair haters to me.

Mahealani
July 2nd, 2012, 08:47 AM
Use lots and lots of expensive products. Waste of money AND you can do just as well with cheap products most of the time.
Sidenote: Spidermom, your hair in your siggy looks absolutely amazing. Keep up the good work!
mallorykay, I got the same advice on numerous occasions and usually by people who have anything but great looking hair... It's true, the price of the product does not guarantee beautiful healthy hair. My current shampoo costs only 1,30€ (for 230ml) and the conditioner is about 2,50 € (forgot the price, sorry) and both are fab.

angelakeats
July 5th, 2012, 01:53 PM
can LHC get a "like" botton like facebook? I really need a "like" botton right now.. lol

Yes! I wish I had a 'like' button for this too!!