PDA

View Full Version : Can cones prevent moisture from getting into your hair?

Indigostreams
June 25th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Do you all think that if you have a coney leave-in conditioner on your hair, that if you go to do a deep moisturizing treatment, the cones from your leave-in condish may stop the treatment from penetrating and moisturizing your hair?
And is this why some people on here don't use coney products?

fridgee
June 25th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I guess it depends if you plan to shampoo or not before the DT? Although even if you don't shampoo I would expect it would still do some good. Cones don't stop moisture completely, they just slow down the exchange between the air and your hair, same as oils do. Your hair gets moisture from water and it still gets wet if you've used cones on it so it can still obviously absorb water and benefit from the ingredients in the DT helping seal that water in as far as I can tell. :shrug:

DarkCurls
June 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Cones can't lock moisture out completely. I suspect a good moisturising treatment would work even after a coney product.

Personally, I avoid cones because I avoid shampoo, and cones are easiest to get out with surfactants contained in most shampoos. :p

Henrietta
June 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I'd say more people don't use cones because they give them plastic-ish feeling, or make their hair looking greasy in a second. Maybe a huge layer of cones that are not water soluble can prevent a substance from reaching your hair, but I am not even sure about that.
Relax. Coney build up is not that easy thing to achieve, in most cases. And even if you have some layer of cones, again, I wouldn't say that is locks your hairs away. Try to find something in those two articles:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=185
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=151
After all, cones are used in many moisturizing treatments, and those treatments work, right? I use mostly moisturuzing products myself now, and I use cones, I even do CO with a coney conditioner. SMT works for me, cassia works, drugstore products work. I don't feel like my hairs are locked under a layer of cones.

spidermom
June 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Unless you apply cones so copiously that they coat every hair, no - cones aren't going to stop protein or moisture treatments from getting into your hair.

torrilin
June 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Some silicone based ingredients are water soluble so you just need water to remove them. Others need a pretty hefty detergent to remove. Remembering which ones are which can be kind of tricky, since chemical naming rules are not totally uniform.

(as a totally harmless example, you can legally put vitamin E on your product's label, or tocopherol acetate... they're the same thing. some ingredients can have 5 or more different names that can be used, just in the US. since LHC covers the whole world it can get... a lot longer than just 5 names.)

If the product you're using has one of the insoluble silicone ingredients and you use a moisturizing treatment after, it will block absorption. For curly hair in particular, that's a pretty serious problem, since curly hair can seem like it needs gallons of conditioner to begin with. This doesn't mean all silicones are evil... but your routine does need to take your use of silicones into account.

Personally, I'm not much of a silicone user. Not because I hate 'cones. I have a lot of fragrance sensitivities, and most of the fragrance free or fragranced but only with safe ingredients products I can find are... 'cone free. And since I really really really love not itching, I'll probably end up staying 'cone free. The silicone heavy products that have worked well for me in the past also have a lot of fragrance and I seem to have gotten much more sensitive to it over time.

Indigostreams
June 25th, 2012, 12:04 PM
OK, thank you everyone once again for your knowledge. :)

Long_hair_bear
June 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I clarify before doing a smt anyway, so even if they did,no worries. :)