PDA

View Full Version : hair rough after baking soda wash

tori93
June 25th, 2012, 05:23 AM
i did a baking soda wash but didn't realise that you should use ACV rinse afterwards. When my hair is wet it feels rough, yet when it is dry it doesn't look or feel much different. I tried doing an ACV rinse a few days later to try and fix this but it didn't work. What do you suggest, just do another rinse and see if that helps? I don't want my hair to be rough from now on.

YewneekDoll
June 25th, 2012, 05:42 AM
i've never put baking soda in my hair but i used it in my facewash and when i rinsed it off in the shower it got in my hair on the right side of my face and down the length, when my hair dried that part was coarse and dry and frizzy. i rinsed it really well with warm water then with cold water to smooth the cuticles, it was a little better but still not ok, i smoothed a tiny bit a coconut oil thru it then continued with my W/O washes, it was back to normal in 2 weeks. i'm sorry i'm not more help, just be gentle with it while it is more prone to tangles. I know some people have used aloe juice rinses to even out hair ph.

caadam
June 25th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Baking soda is a very drying product for hair overall. Many people here advise that it should only be used to clarify the hair every once in a while (once a month, or less). Using baking soda too often can cause severe dryness and damage.

I say you could try another method of moisturizing your hair. Oil could help with that, but try not to wash it out with baking soda. It usually doesn't work very well. If you have a cheap, simple conditioner on hand, that will clean away oil from hair pretty well. Just slather on the conditioner, massage in gently, and let it sit in your hair for about an hour, then rinse.

You can try an ACV rinse again, but just keep in mind that using too much ACV, for a lot of people, can cause hair to look and feel stringy.

OhioLisa
June 25th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I would probably do a deep treatment or just a couple of CO washes. Your hair is just in desperate need of moisture at this point, so I would just try to keep it up and oiled for a while, if you can.

Alvrodul
June 25th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Do a SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)to add moisture! An oil treatment might also be a good thing.

PolarCathy
June 25th, 2012, 06:56 AM
I do not think that baking soda is a suitable washing agent. Most people who do it try it because they have heard that BS can replace shampoo. Sure it can, they just forget that it is an extremely stripping washing agent and does the exact same thing as shampoo does, strips the oils from the hair. It strips everything. In my opinion it is more brutal than shampoo. BS is one of the very few things that is never going into my hair, followed by ACV or not...

I'm not very good at giving you tips on how to get rid of rough hair since I did my first SMT like yesterday, but I may use just pure aloe vera gel and "baggy" overnight with that.

Milui Elenath
June 25th, 2012, 07:17 AM
It sounds like you are saying your hair is only rough when it is wet, correct? If so perhaps when you are washing the cuticle of your hair is reopening while when dry it is closed. When it's open I guess you are feeling the dryness of your hairs cuticle. Just a theory and I could be wrong! :) Also ACV is used to readjust the PH levels after the initial BS so I don't think it will make much difference or help your hair this much after the fact, though it won't do harm either.

I agree that moisture would be your best fix for this issue.

As for bicarb (baking) soda I have used it on my hair without issue as a clarifier from time to time even though I have very dry hair and very low sebum production.

My tips if you are going to continue using it are to use a very dilute solution and to ensure it is fully dissolved, no rubbing, just pouring and gentle smoothing over the hair.

But it doesn't seem as if BS agrees with most hair. If you are looking for another natural treatment you could try soapnuts.

tori93
June 25th, 2012, 10:56 AM
i will definately not be using it again! :o Thanks for the advice, i think i will just condition A LOT and do one more ACV rinse. I'm just hoping the dryness doesn't cause any splits and that my hair goes back to normal eventually.

Ocelan
June 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM
When I use BS as a clarifier, I put just a bit or it in water where I've diluted my sulphate-free shampoo and use that to wash my hair. It feels really awful when wet, just like big clumps of hay in my head, but when I put lots of (cone-free) conditioner in my hair after that, let it sit in my hair atleast 10 minutes and then do the ACV rinse, my hair is great, silky and flowy (a little bit too much in fact, my hair stays nowhere where I want it after I clarify).