PDA

View Full Version : What do you call long hair?

Sarahlabyrinth
June 24th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Before I joined the LHC i used to think that APL or longer is "long". I still think that waist length hair(ie, down to my elbows) is long and that is my goal, but after being on here for barely a week I may change my mind and decide that only hip length and longer is "long"lol. What are your views?
Oh, and another question - What does S&D stand for?:)

caadam
June 24th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I think any hair that is tailbone length or longer is pretty long. Anything above that I still consider medium length. lol

S&D stands for "search and destroy." It's when you take the time to look at every single hair end and snip off any damage (like split ends).

DragonLady
"Long hair" = hair that is longer than mine. ;)

"S&D" = Search & Destroy; the practise of finding individual split ends and snipping them off with very sharp scissors before they cause damage.

ladylowtide
I would call anything longer than waist long. Though I don't think I'll feel like I have long hair until I hit hip.

S&D is short for search and destroy. This is when you look through the ends of you hair for split ends and just snip off the splits only.

lmfbs
June 24th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I was pondering this question earlier today.

Before LHC I used to consider 'long' APL or longer.

Now, I'm about to hit waist and I don't consider my hair long at all. I think anything longer than TB is long, but I bet when I'm at TB, I'll change my standards again!

SongofLove
June 24th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Hmm, even after being on LHC, I still find myself, in real life, stopping and admiring a woman's hair, thinking "Wow...nice long hair..." even if it's "only" APL.

auburntressed
June 24th, 2012, 10:51 PM
My perception of short/medium/long has not changed since joining. Though I do have a more effective way of explaining now. In my mind:

Shoulder and above is short.
Below shoulder to waist is medium.
Waist to tailbone is long hair.
Below tailbone is very long hair.

Arctic_Mama
June 24th, 2012, 10:51 PM
On other people, BSL and longer is long, waist is really long. On myself, however, even almost hitting tailbone feels awfully short. I mean, it looks long, but I still cannot do many of the styles I admire.

I have hairnorexia, I'm sure of it.

winteriscoming
June 24th, 2012, 10:59 PM
For me I think that full waist and onward is long :)

starry
June 24th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I read on here somewhere that most people, like the average person,will think below shoulder length is 'long hair' like "she or he has long hair" I tend to agree with this- as most people arent lhc'ers and to see someone with waist length and beyond isnt that common. (especially where i am in AUS. It was trendy to have about waist length a few years ago.. but not now as much.)

before lhc I recall my fiancee and I saw someone with bum length hair and we thought it was wierd.. She's probably the only person I've seen with hair that long in years.
Now we're all for me growing it SUPER long... funny.

HintOfMint
June 25th, 2012, 12:17 AM
I think BSL is long on anyone. I personally started to feel like I had long hair at around APL (this was before LHC).

white.chocolate
June 25th, 2012, 12:24 AM
BSL+ for me is long.

IvanaGil
June 25th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Classic and beyond is long for me. Whenever I hear girls say "her hair is so long" and they're looking at bsl, it drives me crazy lol but I guess not everyone has seen what lhcers :)

DarkCurls
June 25th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Hip length and beyond is long hair to me. Waist and above is still medium-length.

Yeah, I have WL hair and people tell me it's long -- but it's not. XD

NativeGirl
June 25th, 2012, 01:36 AM
I consider TBL+ long. I know many people who think APL-BSL is long. To me, that's short, but then I come from a family of long hairs. I'm just about to TBL, and will finally be happy to be a "long hair."

Bianca
June 25th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Bsl and beyond. I would say :)

ejking2
June 25th, 2012, 01:45 AM
I also think BSL+ is long. I thought the same thing before LHC. My definition of "long" hasn't changed, but my definition of a maintainable and desirable length has. I didn't have a clear goal before this site but never really imagined longer than tailbone on myself. Now I want to grow to classic!

ohmygackt
June 25th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I consider waist, hip, and tailbone just long hair, anything past that would be really long hair. But for me that could just be because not a lot of people hair anything past waist.
But I haaaate it when people are like "omg you're hair is suuuuper long" if its only BSL. -.-"

Mesmerise
June 25th, 2012, 02:11 AM
I've always thought probably waist as long hair, even before joining LHC. The only real difference between then and now is that my original goal was waist length (I never even really considered the possibility of going beyond) and now I want at least hip (although I do ponder TBL) I don't think my hair would ever get longer than that and still look good though!

Mesmerise
June 25th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Hmm double post... no idea how

Jing
June 25th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Waist is the beginning of long to me. It also depends on the age of the person. Since so many teenagers are suddenly sporting waist length, I don't think a teen with BSL hair has long hair at all, but if I see a woman who looks to be over 35 sporting BSL hair, it seems almost long.

natural_shine
June 25th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Before I joined the LHC i used to think that APL or longer is "long". I still think that waist length hair(ie, down to my elbows) is long and that is my goal, but after being on here for barely a week I may change my mind and decide that only hip length and longer is "long"lol. What are your views?

Past bsl= long. From my point of view.

boofles
June 25th, 2012, 02:42 AM
My idea of "long" changes as my hair gets longer. I used to think my current length (BSL) would seem long to me and that I wouldn't wanna grow much longer, but now I'm here "long" seems to be closer to waist.

Once I hit waist, I'll probably feel like that isn't "long" anymore :rolleyes:

Ticky
June 25th, 2012, 03:05 AM
I agree with natural_shine. Past BSL is long for me.

MonaMayfair
June 25th, 2012, 03:43 AM
I still think the same as I always thought!
BSL and longer is long (and my hair used to be TBL, but I certainly didn't start seeing shorter hair than mine as "short" or "medium"

Vampyria
June 25th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Before LHC, I found waist really long. Now the knee length is really long. ;) But I had hair little above waist and it didn't seem long at all. Maybe because of the terrible fairy tail ends, so only around ten strands were longer then BSL. ;)

My goal is waist or maybe even hip now (with healthy hair), but before that seemed totally unrealistic to me. Well right now, with my length (beyond shoulder), BSL already seems long to me.

henné
June 25th, 2012, 04:30 AM
BSL and longer is long. I haven't really gotten influenced by the LHC in what I see as long hair ...

Venefica
June 25th, 2012, 04:41 AM
I consider shoulder length and beyond to be medium length, waist length and longer to be long and mid thigh and longer to be very long.

hellucy
June 25th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Shoulder and above is short.
Below shoulder to waist is medium.
Waist to tailbone is long hair.
Below tailbone is very long hair.

This is a pretty good description - although I think maybe mid back level not waist is my swap over from medium to long hair.

Dars
June 25th, 2012, 04:54 AM
I see long hair starting from waist to hip and beyond.

YewneekDoll
June 25th, 2012, 04:54 AM
My perception changes with my hair length too. A week ago the very ends of my longest layers were just brushing hip, then i was considering tailbone and below "long" I cut about 4 1/2 inches and am at waist, now i see hip and belly button as long. But i think that is just from a growing point of view, if i see someone with waist length i think of that as "standard long" Normally it's a "The optimist see's the doughnut, the pessimist see's the hole" situation lol

Loreley
June 25th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I consider someone's hair long when it's at least past waist length. Classic and beyond is what I call really long.

carolinaberry
June 25th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I think above shoulder-betw/ shoulder and APL short, about halfway between shoulder and APL medium, and BSL-Hip is long, and anything longer than Hip is very long. I still feel my hair is "very short" at betw/ shoulder and APL and I am sure it will always seem "too short".

MintChocChip
June 25th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I consider anything past BSL as long (I suspect that might be because I have ages to go till I reach waist, and I want to say I have long hair sooner than in a year's time! :D)

Having said that, I suspect when my hair gets longer my perception of what is long hair will change too.

Apriori
June 25th, 2012, 05:40 AM
I think BSL+ is long and TBL+ is very long

This reminds me of a thread on a danish board where a girl asked for hairstyle ideas for her hair and she wrote: "I have very long hair (approximately to were my bra band is)". That just sounded SO wrong in my ears because it's nowhere close to what I would consider very long hair :D

ladyfey
June 25th, 2012, 05:50 AM
For me, hair isn't long until it is classic length.

ariesfairies
June 25th, 2012, 06:05 AM
It would have been waist but I've now got the "LHC Bias Syndrome" so now it's Tailbone (when it TRUELY gets to be "long")

Wayuki
June 25th, 2012, 06:17 AM
It seems in mainstream society, shoulder lenght is usually considered medium length, APL and beyond is usually considered long. I have always gone by that definition, and I still do.

However, I never felt that was long enough for my personal goals. My dream lenght has always been waist and beyond.

Still, if a person's hair flows well past their shoulders, I will always refer to it as long, because this is the generally accepted definition.

EtherealDoll
June 25th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I consider waist and longer to be "long".

Tristania
June 25th, 2012, 06:22 AM
I think hip could be considered "long". All the knee-length beauties here may disagree though:)

Amber_Maiden
June 25th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Past hip is long hair to me.

annah
June 25th, 2012, 08:04 AM
On other people, waist is long. On myself, well, I just hit hip, and finally consider it long. I consider classic + "really long".

RitaCeleste
June 25th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Waist is long to me. Beyond waist is really long. Classic is super long.

RileyJane
June 25th, 2012, 08:19 AM
S & D - search and destroy :) basically you just go through your hair carefully and cut off and split or seriously damaged ends and thats it. I like them better than trims personally. And for me, long hair is when you can wrap it around your shoulders like a shawl when youre cold :D Thats deff long hair for ya

goldloli
June 25th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Waist is long to me. Beyond waist is really long. Classic is super long.

Waist used to be long to me. I had an inspiration pic and everything. After 12+ months of growing out w/ trims mid back heavily layered hair, I hit waist. Now waist doesn't look right to me, it's too short and just stops/doesn't fall right. I think tailbone with layers/fairy tale will be long enough.

Weirdly when I look at celebs or friends with shorter bsl mbl hair, I catch myself thinking 'ooo her hair is so long, I wish mine was that long'

spidermom
June 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I declared myself to have long hair when it was some length between APL and BSL.
That seems very short to me now, but I'll stick with that because it agrees with what I see in the media.

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 09:07 AM
The longest I have ever had my hair was BSL so I am trying to tell myself that this is fairly long since I am not sure if that is actually my "terminal" length. My mom's hair has stopped just below BSL and has not grown a whit in three years but she does not trim and has very fine whispy hair, mine is thicker so I hold up hope at hitting hips or better some day...

jacqueline101
June 25th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Before joining arm pit length was long to me now tail bone is.

sugarpixie10988
June 25th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Before I joined, I thought anything around APL and further was long. Now I think hip and longer is long. For myself, I've never had hair this long, so it began to feel long for me around when I first hit BSL.

CurlyCurves
June 25th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Waist and below :D

anitacs9101
June 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM
My hair was always shoulder-length and I always considered anything longer than that long, seeing as I'd never even met someone with hair longer than waist. however once I started growing my hair out, it was NEVER long enough!! :laugh: On others I consider anything longer than BSL pretty long, however on me, I don't think I'll be satisfied for another few inches... :p

whitedove
June 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM
BSL to Waist is long
Waist to Butt - is really long
Butt to Knee - super long
Knee+ is jaw-dropping long

meteor
June 25th, 2012, 11:17 AM
To me the concept of short-medium-long is purely a styling concept, i.e. what can you do with that hair and how does it fall. So short is before shoulder, medium before midback and everything else is long. Of course within long you have to define what you mean by how long it is, but it's still "long" in the big scheme of things.
I don't understand why so many people don't consider waist length long. I don't remember a tremendous difference between waist / hip / tailbone in terms of texture, how it fell on my back or how I styled it when it was down.
But I would definitely classify classic+ and below as "extra long", because I think it's a totally different category, and wearing it down is probably rare.

CurlyCurves
June 25th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Funny, 'cos of this thread, I was looking at my Auntie's BSL hair and thinking it looks quite long. Which is good, because I always associate BSL with hair on the shorter side (no idea why).

battles
June 25th, 2012, 07:02 PM
On other people, I don't really consider their hair long until at least waist.

On myself.. I'm not quite sure. Before I felt I would have long hair at APL.. Now I'm at APL, and it feels kinda long? But kinda not really. I'm eyeballing hip length pretty bad right now.

long&blonde
June 25th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Before LHC; I thought BSL hair long.
Now: I think BCL is long.

Seeshami
June 25th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Just to be silly when I saw the thread title I said to myself, "The Naughty mess." Now that I know what you're actually asking I would classify long at bra strap length and beyond. But that's just me. As for Naughty mess status, the mess is ALWAYS naughty and always a mess from a few inches to now it has never behaved a day in it's length.

MrsGuther
June 25th, 2012, 09:15 PM
My opinion of what long hair is keeps changing the longer my hair gets. My hair is almost TBL and it feels short to me. Lol. I think TBL and longer on other people looks long.

blondebazinga
June 25th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I think hair that is waist or longer is long

Mrsbaybeegurl
June 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM

I now look at long as as being at waist or below, but used to think APL was long. I've become semi-obsessed where I see people who I thought had long hair (whether people I know or on TV) and now think to myself how could that possibly be long, what was I thinking lol LHC changes our standards - for the better usually ;)

Funny story on what S&D meant...I'm usually pretty good at figuring out abbreviations of what things mean, so my first few times on here I thought S&D meant "split end dusting" (S =split &=end D=dusting) Anyways, a few people would actually say search and destroy and I was puzzled, like wth does that mean...lol Oh well, back when "lol" became popular I thought it meant "lots of laughs"...close enough haha

racrane
June 25th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I think of myself with BSL as very short, but I look at people in "real life" with WL as having long hair. BSL is fairly close to WL, but okay... On LHC, I think hip and longer is considered long for me. But it's all a matter of perspective.

Oh, and don't confuse S&D like S&M, like I accidentally did. Big difference. :D

Darkessa
June 25th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Long hair is Waist Length and longer for me.
Just seems like not many people have their hair past BSL, so Waist is the next milestone that seems appropriate. :)
Plus... Thats just when it starts to look super long. :D

Tazzy
June 25th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I used to think that anyone with BSL hair had long hair. Now that I have seen pictures from LHC, Tumblr, and Youtube I would defiantly change what is considered long. Now I think that anywhere from waist on down is long hair. And beautiful at that!

MiamiPineapple
June 25th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Waist and beyond

SongofLove
June 25th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Oh, and don't confuse S&D like S&M, like I accidentally did. Big difference. :D

Hahaha!!! :D

Wait...does that mean when you saw S&D suggested for hair routines, you went out and...:tmi: :whip: ?

christyrose
June 25th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I have always had short hair so for me ear length and chin length are short, neck and barely touching shoulders is medium and shoulder length and lower is long. I would consider a man with neck length on long haired though. I think if someone is used to seeing a certain length or used a a certain thing on them it changes what they view long hair as. I know that since I have short hair long on me would be shoulder length, and I am sure when I finally get to that length everyone would comment on how long of hair I have, and longer would be very long hair. I cant wait to have longer hair and view things differently.

Silverbrumby
June 25th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Long is past BSL for me. I notice hair longer than that.

OH - Disneyland hair. Wow, could start up a whole thread on what I noticed in the masses hair.

palaeoqueen
June 26th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I used to think anything past shoulder was pretty long, my perceptions are definitely changing though, I now think of APL-BSL as long-ish but hair needs to be beyond BSL to be properly long. Mine is starting to feel long for me at just past shoulder and I will probably consider it to be fairly long t APL simply because it's never been that long before

Zindell
June 26th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I consider bsl and beyond to be long hair :)

pink.sara
June 26th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Id join in with the BSL and beyond group for what's considered long.

People are really starting to comment "how long" mine is after having it short for a few years and it's 26 inches and just shy of BSL.

I have only seen about 4-5 women in my workplace (though pleasantly 3 guys too) with longer hair than mine. And only 1 is past waist. I work with over 600 people so that gives you an idea of the hair frequency!

lm119
June 26th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I had 2 standards of long before my hhj. For my hair I considered sl and beyond long. For others I considered apl and beyond long.

Now I think anything bsl and beyond is long.

firegypsy
June 26th, 2012, 09:14 AM
late to the party but I think of hair like this:

short is anything up to chin length
medium is chin to APL
long is anything past APL with special modifiers for hair that is longer than waist, tailbone, classic etc.

My hair is flirting with APL now, and I still consider myself to have medium length hair.

Odonata
June 26th, 2012, 09:27 AM
i think:
"short"hair is anything shoulder length and above,
"medium short" shoulder length to APL (depending on how it looks on a persons face)
"medium" length hair would be from APL to BSL or mid back
"medium long" would be mid back to waist
"long" waist to tail bone
"very long" i think is anything longer than tail bone or around clasic length

juicy-glitter
June 26th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Mid bac/waist/hip..... anything a little past bsl would be long

catamonica
June 26th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I think waist to hip is long. My hair is at hip. Tailbone or longer is real long. Until I can sit on my hair, it won't feel long enough.

PixxieStix
June 26th, 2012, 06:38 PM
To me, it goes like this:

Short- anything above shoulder
Medium - right below shoulder to almost BSL
Long- to me long hair starts here, not super long hair, but were someone to say "Hey, look at her long hair", I'd agree/know what they were talking about. This length goes to about tailbone in my eyes.
Really long - Tailbone and longer.

I don't think I'll feel like a long hair again until I get somewhere between BSL and waist, but I'm okay with that. :) People keep telling me how long my hair is getting and I just wanna scream "Are you crazy?!" My cousin recently posted a picture on FB with extensions in saying how much she likes her "long hair', and the extensions only brought it to about APL, and I confused at first going "Long hair where....oooooh, right, not LHC standards!" :D

CurlyCap
June 26th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Pixie
Short: Above shoulder
Medium: Above BSL
Long: At least waist
Whoa: Classic onwards

FrannyG
June 27th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Well, I consider "long hair" to be anything below the shoulder, where you can push all of your hair back behind the shoulders and it will stay there. Bangs/fringe/face framing layers don't count.

We have a skewed vision of what long hair is, here at LHC. In the real world, short hair is lip length or above, medium is between chin and shoulder, and long is below the shoulder.

Having said that, even though my hair is about 6 weeks away from officially being waist length, I still don't feel that my hair is very long.

It's an LHC phenomenon. :)

Sivan
June 27th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I think of "long" as mid-back length and longer.
I can't believe some of you think waist length is "medium" LOL... :D

Dovetail
June 27th, 2012, 09:28 PM
To me, anything anything below mid back I consider long. on myself though I don't think I'll be happy till I'm at least at tailbone, then I can say its long.

patienceneeded
June 27th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Anything longer than my own hair...haha.

Ambystoma
June 27th, 2012, 10:54 PM
For me, long starts at waist, although I used to have 28 - 29inch straightened hair with a very blunt hemline and people used to say it was "super long" :lol:. Now it's 28 (when straight) and wavy with a natural U shape from not trimming and no one has called it long yet.

Asma
June 28th, 2012, 02:52 PM
"Long hair" = hair that is longer than mine. ;)

I agree :D

gillybeanxo3921
June 28th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Anything above shoulders is short, waaay to short for me.
shoulders - bsl is average
waist is the beginning of long
hip is an amendable feat, and anything past that is extremely long.

AdaClare
June 28th, 2012, 04:37 PM
To me, BSL/waist and beyond is long. :)

Hosta
June 28th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I used to think one of my co-workers with armpit length hair had really long hair. Just a couple of days ago I was thinking her hair really isn't that long. It is funny how LHC has changed my perspective.

dulce
June 28th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I used to think APL and below was long,thanks to LHF I think it's waist and below now.

Nedertane
June 29th, 2012, 01:17 AM
It really varies, for other people and for me! On other people, sometimes only waist will seem long, or sometimes just APL. I think it may have to do with people's body poroportions, but I'm not sure. BSL would be the average, I guess.

For me, my almost WL hair seems short sometimes, or at least "not very long" (if that makes sense) but every so often, I'll get parts of my body tangled in it, and get reminded of the length haha.

onlyforhim
June 29th, 2012, 01:29 AM
anything longer my hair too :)

I always try to ask myself what is long to me. I used to say that anything that is at waist or longer is long but not anymore I think hair has to reach hips to say it is long anything shorter is just medium length.
However I think I always tend to feel that thick thick hair at MBL is very long. When I see thick hair I admire it and believe it is longer than mine even if it is not and as one lso said it depends on the body proportions I am pretty short so even if my hair is at waist length it still looks way shorter than people's hair....

Henrietta
July 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
For me "long" is hip and longer. When I see someone with HL I think "Oh, a longhair out there." I hope I'll also apply it to myself, it would be cool to finally be able to call myself a longhair :D

neko_kawaii
July 2nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
When my hair was BST I thought, "When it covers my nipples, that will be sexy and long." When it was cut back from waist length I thought, "I can't wait till it is waist length again, because that is the beginning of long." Now that it has reached hip I think, "Maybe tailbone will feel long?"

Anything longer than my own hair...haha. Very well put!

catamonica
July 3rd, 2012, 10:41 AM
Waist length is long. But tailbone or longer is real long. I'm at hip, but my hair won't feel long
until I can sit on it. Hopefully.

Ebrox
July 3rd, 2012, 05:09 PM
anything longer than my hair I it's long for me haha, I also only consider people tall if they are taller than me (I'm 6').. don't know why though..

Loviatar
July 3rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
IMO, anything BSL or longer is long. Mind you I have never got to BSL. I get bored and chop. So maybe when I get to APL I will think APL is long. :shrug:

Puertoricangirl
July 4th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I think between shoulder and BSL is medium, shoulder and above is short, waist to hip is long, and anything longer is very long! I am growing out my hair to my waist and might go to right above my behind :o

lmfbs
July 4th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Id join in with the BSL and beyond group for what's considered long.

People are really starting to comment "how long" mine is after having it short for a few years and it's 26 inches and just shy of BSL.

I have only seen about 4-5 women in my workplace (though pleasantly 3 guys too) with longer hair than mine. And only 1 is past waist. I work with over 600 people so that gives you an idea of the hair frequency!

That's actually a really good point. My workplace has about 800 people and I've seen 1 past waist (she actually sits right behind me and we talk about hair allllll day, but she's getting it cut to BSL tomorrow), and possibly 10-15 who are BSL or longer. Mine's waist length and people comment all the time on how long it is.

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 05:29 PM
In my head, BSL is not long. But when I look at it IRL, it is...

mrs carol
July 4th, 2012, 05:47 PM
For me long hair is longer than waist length. My hair is tail bone length and I will think my hair is really long when it gets to classic length and longer.

Diamond.Eyes
July 4th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Before LHC I used to think BSL was long, now I don't really consider hair to be long unless it is at least waist length.

AutumnLocks
July 31st, 2012, 03:06 PM
This is just me now mind you....but I think that anything past shoulderblades is long. I was a CNA for more than 25 years and once upon a time I had an elderly lady for a patient who had knee length hair! It was not for religious reasons either. Most women in my area who have very long hair have it for religious reasons. This lady had very thick hair and it was a beautiful soft silver gray color. I and one other CNA were basically the only ones who would take the time to brush it and take care of it for her. The rest of the girls said stuff like, we shouldn't have to take care of that junk, her husband needs to have the hairdresser cut that stuff off! I would go off on them too! Before this beautiful woman passed away her hair was a mess. It eventually had to be cut because there were only two of us who would take care of it for her. Makes me mad just thinking about it!

Cirafly24
July 31st, 2012, 03:14 PM
Before LHC, I thought BSL or longer was "long." Now, I tend to think waist is where it starts to get long.

Mine is never quite long enough, though ;)

earthnut
July 31st, 2012, 03:20 PM
bald to shoulder - short
shoulder to BSL - medium (1/8-1/4 of body length)
BSL to classic - long (1/4-1/2 of body length)
longer than classic - super long (more than 1/2 of body length)

:D

ddiana1979
July 31st, 2012, 03:21 PM
For me, long is *always* longer than mine! :p

petali
July 31st, 2012, 03:23 PM
"long" is waist-length
"medium" is APL
"short" is shoulder and above

KhiraLi
July 31st, 2012, 03:30 PM
Waist length for me, which is not super common.

one_fine_lady
July 31st, 2012, 04:47 PM
It also depends on your terminal length. For some people, their hair will never be able to grow past their waist (due to numerous variables) so growing their hair to mid back might be "long hair" for them.
But I definitely know what you mean. I just joined the LHC too and I had never seen hair so long until I came here!

pepperminttea
July 31st, 2012, 04:57 PM
On other women, MBL-ish and longer.
On men, shoulder and longer.

On myself, hip and longer. Skewed logic, I know. :p

blondie9912
July 31st, 2012, 05:44 PM
Waist or longer would be considered long to me, but a blunt MBL would also be long IMO!

mzBANGBANG
July 31st, 2012, 07:56 PM
Sometimes I will see someone else's hair and consider how pretty and long it is, then immediately look for what marker it is on their body and notice it is APL. Once I realize it is APL my mind tells me it is suddenly "short." How's that for hairnorexia?

I'll compromise and say BSL is long but knowing what else is out there has expanded my perspective.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 1st, 2012, 02:11 AM
To me...I think "long" hair is about the waist length in normal life. I rarely see anyone with long enough hair for me to even notice that their hair is long. Seems like a lot of people have apl and bsl hair so it's common. If I saw someone with booty length hair or longer then it would be amazing for me to see in person.

Sophiatrist
August 1st, 2012, 02:37 AM
:p I'm with the "hair longer than mine" crowd.

Being at BSL right now I tend to think of waist length as long, my opinion may change the closer I get to that.

DancingQueen
August 1st, 2012, 02:42 AM
Personally, I feel shoulder and above is short, APL is medium long (although I don't really feel I have long hair), and BSL is long. For me, anything over that goes after hip is super long. :)

ETA: I don't think it have changed since I joined. :)

PolarCathy
August 1st, 2012, 02:47 AM
My perception has changed significantly since I've been on LHC (and I think I already posted in this thread). I must have said BSL+ was long. Well, not anymore... Waist is the transition zone now, between short and longish so I still consider mine kinda short. Hip+ is long.

MinderMutsig
August 1st, 2012, 03:55 AM
I register anything beyond APL as long. It often happens that I see someone walking down the street and think she has pretty long hair and then realize it's only APL and mine is longer.

Anything beyond waist though is registered as LONG and anything beyond tailbone as WOAH! LONG! Those are the head turners.

neko_kawaii
August 1st, 2012, 10:31 AM
Sometimes I will see someone else's hair and consider how pretty and long it is, then immediately look for what marker it is on their body and notice it is APL. Once I realize it is APL my mind tells me it is suddenly "short." How's that for hairnorexia?

I'll compromise and say BSL is long but knowing what else is out there has expanded my perspective.

LOL, adding hairnorexia to my lexicon.

afu
August 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM
I think of waist-hip as long and anything longer as 'very long'

Rowan Will-o'
August 1st, 2012, 10:44 AM
As someone who used to wear hair really short (very comfortable) and easy, having had bouts in my life of long and short hair, I always considered long hair to be anything you could get a band around to make a pony tail. Now, I know better, but it was always the between length before I could get said band around to be what I considered medium length. So, my idea of long way back when would have been shoulder length hair that could be put into a pony tail.

Another former idea of long hair would be anything you could flip over your pillow at night so you couldn't and wouldn't be sleeping on it. When I had really short hair, I missed that flipping over the pillow.

Since joining this forum and seeing all the beautiful really long hair, I have revised my criteria somewhat. My hair now is an inch or so above my waist at 29", and I consider it moderately long, but of course, I still have a long way to go to get to TB.

Cheers,

Rowan Will-o'

snowtale
August 1st, 2012, 10:50 AM
For me, midback+ is long.

Waist, hip and so on is super long ;)

Alvrodul
August 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM
I think I can admit to my hair beginning to get long now. :p I'm about 3-4 cm short of classic, and hop to reach that goal some time this autumn. :)

Shepherdess
August 1st, 2012, 11:24 AM
Waist or longer I think of as long hair. Hip length to classic I think of as very long. Knee length and beyond I think of as extremely long!

My hair though? At mid-thigh, I still feel as though my hair is short. But if I see someone with waist length or longer, I think to myself "wow, they have pretty long hair". If I see someone else with the same length as mine or longer I feel amazed and think their hair is super long.

I wonder if I will ever feel that my hair is long? Perhaps when I reach my goal, then I will. :p

longmane
March 24th, 2018, 10:22 PM
Before LHC I thought of Waist+ as long and it hasn't changed. It's just the length I want that changes.

cjk
March 24th, 2018, 10:45 PM
I'm a man. In truth, touching my ears is long.

I'd say anything that reaches below the collar, really, for most guys. Shoulder or APL is definitely and uncontestedly long for us.

Anything beyond that is very long hair.

zanelle
March 25th, 2018, 12:53 AM
I will start thinking I have long hair when I'll reach waist. So I guess from waist down means long to me.
My dream length would be tailbone.
But I am sure when I reach it I will go to classic.
Who knows :)

Reyesuela
March 25th, 2018, 01:11 AM
Women:
Very short: chin or above
Short: shoulders to chin
Medium: shoulders to above waist
Conventionally Long: waist plus
Truly long: hips to just above classic
Very long: classic to knees
Extremely long: below knee

men:
very short: buzz
Short: 1950s businessman
medium/shaggy: to Beiber/boy band length. Lol.
Long: collar and not heavily layered
very long: apl plus

Joules
March 25th, 2018, 04:22 AM
For me long hair starts at waist. I know that most people call long hair whatever is below shoulders, but for me it's medium/average :)

Pacific
March 25th, 2018, 04:24 AM
On women long hair starts for me at waist, on men at midback.

ravenskey
March 25th, 2018, 04:27 AM
For me: Short = Above Shoulder Length.
Medium = Shoulder length - Mid-back.
Medium/Long = Mid-back - Hip.
Long = Hip - Classic.
Very Long = Classic - Knee.
Extremely Long = Below Knee.

Stray_mind
March 25th, 2018, 04:38 AM
I categorize hair like this:

Very short - scalp to chin length
Short - Chin to APL
Medium length - APL-Waist length
Long - Waist length-TBL
Very long - TBL-Knee length
Extremely long - Knee length-Floor length :D

Dark40
April 14th, 2018, 03:40 PM
I would say I consider long hair to be starting from BSL and beyond. I'm at WL now, and I also consider that long as well.

SnowDancer
April 14th, 2018, 04:42 PM
I used to think waist length was long. Now that I'm here, it still feels pretty short.

nycelle
April 14th, 2018, 05:24 PM
I think it's long when it reaches midback.

Wendyp
April 14th, 2018, 07:55 PM
I think bsl is long hair.

Ylva
April 14th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Hmm, to me mid to lower back is long hair, I think.

Below lower back is very long hair. Chin length or shorter would be short hair. And medium between chin and mid back.

fhairyqueen
April 15th, 2018, 05:01 AM
I always had waist length hair and thought I had average length hair
I always thought anything above BSL was short
Since coming here and intentionally trying to grow my hair from shoulder I realised there are so many more lengths and stages of growth than I could have imagined
I would now say APL is average and starting at BSL is long .
Shoulder is short but when compared to pixie it’s long and a lot more length to play with
I thought shoulder / apl were the same until having to go through it myself
I thought they were pretty much same length

Ondine11
April 15th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Yes, ‘long hair’ is definitely a moving goalpost. Back in Oct. 2014, I had a just past jaw length Bob with bangs. I remember wishing my hair was long, envisioning it at APL (!)

Now, that seems laughable. My hair is at BSL, & I’m targeting ‘long hair’ by the end of 2018 (WL)

Since my UG is Classic, I’m certain that WL won’t seem long when I get there.

Beckstar
April 15th, 2018, 10:10 AM
I call my hair Becky Jr.

Glitch
April 15th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Short: shoulder and above.
Medium: collarbone to mid-back.
Long: from waist to hip (depending on the person's structure).
Super long: tailbone and beyond.

Corvana
April 15th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Short: probably shorter than shoulder.
Medium: Shoulder to APL
Long: APL to waist
Very long: past waist

Why? That's just how I've always felt at these points! I don't think I've gone past waist, and while I had waist I didn't consider it too much longer than BSL (my upper torso is rather short, mind). SL to APL is long, but not long, and it generally where I'd keep it? Well, to like BSL. So I figure that's a good "medium", even though it's considered long in those hairdresser books! Now that I'm back at APL, it feels proper long, and I can do a lot more with it.

Aredhel
April 15th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Considering men are deemed "longhaired" when their hair reaches shoulder-length, I'd have to say that anything below shoulder is long IMO. :)

Da wei
April 15th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Mid back and beyond i think is long,very long i would think of classic and beyond .something like that