PDA

View Full Version : Long torso, slow growth, frustrated!

jesis
June 24th, 2012, 08:31 PM
So, sorry if this has been posted on before, just a rant.

My hair has been growing, but I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. For whatever reason, I have a really long torso. I'm not particularly tall or anything (only 5'4). My growth seems to be for nothing. I'm almost 29" now and I still have about 3-4" in growth until I even reach waist.

I see others on here who have 29" in growth and it looks so much longer than my hair. My waves also eat up a lot of my length and I haven't been straightening my hair, but I always measure stretched. I'm just wondering how and why I am so unproportional!

Just to add, I don't want to reach "waist" just so I can say, 'Hey I'm at waist!' But I don't feel that my hair looks "long" now, and I feel that it will have to be much longer than "normal" for it to look "long". My hair's current length is waist on some people I've seen on here (and it looks like waist length), but on me it looks BSL (which I'm just past).

I guess I'm just kind of down about how much more growth I'm going to have to get to reach my goals. My hair grows so slow as it is (only 7 inches since August 2010), I just don't want to have to wait another year+ to reach waist when, if I had a "normal" waist, I'd already be there!

Sorry for the rant, anyone else have a super long torso?

Rufflebutt
June 24th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Even if your torso is considered long, I doubt it would set you back more than a couple inches on these "length titles" if you wish to call them that. If you're only 5"4, you could very well just have short legs that make your torso seem long in comparison. I'm the exact same way, I'm 5"2 1/2. I'm only a couple inches from hip, which I'm excited about. Don't lose hope, though! Just keep growing and you'll get there.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 24th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Yup I have a long torso which is maddening when you want your hair to reach your waist. My hair is armpit length for me at 20 inches. Waist for me will be 33 inches, so at least 2 more years of growing to go :(

MrsGuther
June 24th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I've got a super long torso. I'm 5'11.

jesis
June 24th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Yup I have a long torso which is maddening when you want your hair to reach your waist. My hair is armpit length for me at 20 inches. Waist for me will be 33 inches, so at least 2 more years of growing to go :(

Yes! APL was like 20" for me too. Absolutely awful waiting.

I've seen women who were waist length at 28"... and that was BSL for me, plus another 4-5" to go before I hit waist. The only good thing is, my waist and hip are only about 3" apart, so it's nothing but awesome after waist!

MiamiPineapple
June 24th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I am 5'10 so I know what you mean.

Oh well such is life...

jesis
June 24th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Even if your torso is considered long, I doubt it would set you back more than a couple inches on these "length titles" if you wish to call them that. If you're only 5"4, you could very well just have short legs that make your torso seem long in comparison. I'm the exact same way, I'm 5"2 1/2. I'm only a couple inches from hip, which I'm excited about. Don't lose hope, though! Just keep growing and you'll get there.

So you're telling me you have only a couple inches to go before you hit hip and you're 24" (according to your stats on the left<)? Well, good for you... but 24" on me was about right between APL and BSL.

As I said, I'm not as worried about titles as the fact that 28" on anyone with a shorter torso seems a lot longer than it did on me....

jesis
June 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I am 5'10 so I know what you mean.

Oh well such is life...

Yes and we must accept it and move on!

Carissamarie08
June 24th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I'm the same as you! You are not alone in this long wait! I don't measure my hair but I am 5'7 and have about 4 inches left until waist.. My hair is a couple inches past BSL and seems to not want to grow out of "no mans lands". Lol

jesis
June 24th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I'm the same as you! You are not alone in this long wait! I don't measure my hair but I am 5'7 and have about 4 inches left until waist.. My hair is a couple inches past BSL and seems to not want to grow out of "no mans lands". Lol

I rarely measure. I like my growth to be kind of a surprise. I busted the measuring tape out the other day for the first time for a few months and I was pleasantly surprised. :)

Wiggy Stardust
June 24th, 2012, 09:50 PM
At a 1/2 inch per month, you're looking at 8 months of growth. A tad more than half a year, and in general a short amount of time. I know it is frustrating but you know that waist is this imaginary, variable line to reach. I have a feeling that even at waist, your hair will seem longer than some of ours. When I hit waist years ago, it felt no different than BSL because I have a short torso and high waist. Getting to this visually appealing landmark meant little, and I cut my hair off in frustration.

TL;DR: All good things come to those who wait.

jesis
June 24th, 2012, 09:54 PM
At a 1/2 inch per month, you're looking at 8 months of growth. A tad more than half a year, and in general a short amount of time. I know it is frustrating but you know that waist is this imaginary, variable line to reach. I have a feeling that even at waist, your hair will seem longer than some of ours. When I hit waist years ago, it felt no different than BSL because I have a short torso and high waist. Getting to this visually appealing landmark meant little, and I cut my hair off in frustration.

TL;DR: All good things come to those who wait.

My hair grows very slowly. About 3-4 inches per year, unfortunately. :( So I have at least a year and a half until I get to hip, which is the most "visually appealing" length to me, and my overall goal.

I have no problem with waiting! I'd just like to feel like I'm getting somewhere in the meantime!

ETA: My length of 22" was recorded in August 2010, when I first started lurking around LHC. So in almost 2 years I've gained only 7" of length! Slooowwww growth.

Moloik
June 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I have a long torso too. APL is like 24" for me.

jacqueline101
June 25th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I'm 5ft 7in I understand that feeling. I know it takes patients to get there.

dollyfish
June 25th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I'm a little over 5,8" with a ridiculously long torso--my waist is ~4 inches below my rib cage, and waist length is somewhere around 35" for me.

Thankfully me hair grows at a somewhat normal rate (around 0.5" per month) but my mile stones are all SO far apart that it's pretty discouraging.

:grouphug:

ETA: Was going to change that "me" to "my," but I like the way it sounds, so I'll leave it :laugh: