PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in product testing aka why is there hydrogen peroxide in my conditioner?!

elvishkat
June 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Hi all,

I've moved to France to stay with family for a year, and have had to experiment with local product to try and get my routine sorted. I brought no product with me because it was heavy but dear god, I am this close to getting an Australian friend to ship my regular stuff over because I AM SO FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW.

It doesn't help being around my family who just don't 'get' the long hair thing. There's also a few huge what-not-to-dos in here, so I hope someone else doesn't make the same mistakes.

Firstly, my method is CO using something very close to cinnamon hair's method (http://www.beyondclassiclength.com/routine.html) except I was washing only once per week or so in Australia. I use something very cheap and very runny to wash with (it is pink and comes in 1l bottles for about $2 from dollar stores). I use something cone-free to condition with, I have used Natural/Organic Instinct's conditioner to detangle, but occasionally something else similar (as long as it's -cone free). I usually pay around the 25 dollar mark for this, and it's probably overkill, but hey. I've used this routine with out trouble for about the past 7 years, with occasional experiments and have mostly returned back.

So! I get here and the first thing I notice in the supermarkets -- there is a lot less of a range of conditioner. I am used to seeing the shampoo and the matching conditioner -- there is no matching conditioner for about 1/2 of the shampoos here! :O In fact, there is a 'home brand' or cheapo shampoo, and no matching conditioner. (ETA: Also there seems to be a larger section of '2 in 1' shampoo/condish...)

I end up fussing for ages over the selection and take two bottles. One is a very plain 'daily' conditioner -- it seems the most liquidy I can find -- and the other is a big bottle of -cone free that claims to also detangle.

The washing conditioner doesn't work -- it doesn't lubricate all the exfoliated skin enough to move it away, and my head is left a little greasy, and looks about as bad as 10 days without washing in about 3.

The detangling/conditioning conditioner however...it felt wrong. Something was up with my hair. I had ended up choosing this one after about an hour of frustrated reading of labels (I know a small amount of French) and apparently I hadn't read the label carefully enough, because after using it, I found it contained... Hydrogen Peroxide.

What on earth?! The bottle mentioned /nothing/ about lightening, and claimed to be all kinds of 'nourishing' and similar nonsense on the bottle. I felt /horrible/. My hair has taken a bit of damage from it, sadly, I just hope it's not too bad in the long run. But I am seriously pissed off that that happened, I know it was me misreading the bottle but how about most people who don't bother reading ingredient lists...HYDROGEN PEROXIDE is not something that's exactly...mild!!

I wash a second time using the 'washing' conditioner and some cone-y l'oreal conditioner which feels nice and slippery while I'm in the shower. I'm okay with using cones very occasionally.

However my hair still feels and appears greasy down to my shoulders when I take it out from the damp braid a day later. Th
ere is a little build up from the washing conditioner and my head feels itchy and unhappy. I also have the 'crunchy' feeling on my ends which reminds me why I don't use -cones all that often.

Wash number three since I've gotten here...I am pretty miserable about my hair, I'm used to it usually calming down after a nice wash and people around me are all 'wow your hair looks gross, why don't you just use shampoo?' and I start to buy into it, even though I've not used shampoo regularly for over 7 years.

I wash a third time, with loads of cone-y conditioner and a mild sls containing shampoo I find in the shower.

So much regret.

My hair is now greasy down to my shoulderblades, doing that weird matting thing that -cones makes it do, itchy and visibly flaking. And I washed it yesterday.

So angry at myself for using shampoo, I should remember this happens!!

I am desperate for product advice, I have Amazon UK available to me as well as anything I can find in French stores (Ile de France region, if relevant) but I'm kind of hoping not to blow too much money and damage my hair experimenting further.

Thanks to anyone who read through all this. Trying not to tear up, I know it's just hair but it's being /so/ /frustrating/ right now!!

Lisabunny
June 24th, 2012, 06:28 PM
:grouphug: I saw your post and thought perhaps this would help http://www.en.vichy.ca/Dercos/Conditioner/Nourishing-and-Reparative-Conditioner-p875.aspx

I have used there products for years and love them! Maybe this could help?

Kaelee
June 24th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Do you have Alberto V05 over there? IDK if they make a cone free conditioner or not, but it's CHEAP (in the US it's 85 cents a bottle and I swear by their clarifying shampoo). So if it doesn't work you aren't out a lot of money.

It isn't top of the line by any means but I've never really been disappointed by any of their products. I have had some not work for me but that was because my hair didn't like daily protein.

lapushka
June 24th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Have you tried the Ultra Doux conditioners by Garnier. They look like this:
https://www.google.be/search?hl=nl&q=garnier+ultra+doux&aq=f&aqi=g4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1162&bih=590&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=LbHnT-LFK9GN-waZ56ixAw

You should be able to find those. Only some are cone-free. They're not as cheap (or expensive) as the brands you're used to (I'm thinking around the 3, 4 euro mark).

elvishkat
June 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies!

Lisabunny - That product looks like something that's got a lot of -cones and/or proteins...it's not really what I'm looking for I don't think, I don't want to experiment too much away from my original routine at this point. What's your routine, how does the product work for you?

Kaelee - I don't think there's V05, it wasn't in Australia and I know it as a go-to CO brand for the States from this forum, but I will keep an eye out :).

lapushka - Yep, I've found the ultra-doux conditioners...they might be good as a conditioner for length but they were too thick and creamy to use as a washing conditioner I think. I will take a closer look at them thanks for the reminder. :)

Lisabunny
June 24th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I have used there Mineral Shampoo and yellow conditioning one on and off for years. Certain times of the year I get scalp rashes, usually as Fall sets in and in Mid Winter. I find them to be very soothing and gentle while still doing there job. Plus since your in France were its made it would be more cost effective. It's $20 a bottle here in Canada. I also use there skin creams, there Normaderm has saved my face from adult acne. Bonne chance mon ami!:blossom:

dollyfish
June 24th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Just here to comment on the hydrogen peroxide thing...

How much is in the conditioner? Because hydrogen peroxide is not a big deal, it's just slightly basic, so it can be added to things to increase the pH. My grandmother drinks hydrogen peroxide with her water (only about 45 drops per gallon!) to bring the pH up. It shouldn't cause damage in small amounts.

Though of course the inside of our bodies are slightly basic, and the outsides slightly acidic, which is why we usually use things like lemon and vinegar on hair. But if the conditioner is acidic on its own, that may be why H2O2 was added into the recipe.

prettykitty
June 25th, 2012, 03:48 AM
I've no really useful advice for you... Just wanted to give you a cyber-hug. As one who's often been away from home and out of routine, I feel your pain. Thank goodness you have the awesome people of LHC to understand the 'hair thing' :)

pepperminttea
June 25th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Do you have Alberto V05 over there? IDK if they make a cone free conditioner or not, but it's CHEAP (in the US it's 85 cents a bottle and I swear by their clarifying shampoo). So if it doesn't work you aren't out a lot of money.

V05 is 'cone-free in the US, but the UK version contains 'cones, so if it is available in mainland Europe my bet would be on it also containing 'cones. Sorry elvishkat. :(

DarkCurls
June 25th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I second the Ultra-Doux rec (some are cone-free, but not all)... I have the shea butter and avocado one (because it's one of the heaviest in the UD line, some are lighter though), and I use it to co-wash. Garnier is the easiest brand to find cone-less in France, and since I'm a co-washer I've gone cone-free. I also like the Fructis Triple Nutrition, which is less heavy than the UD shea butter (but I actually like thicker conditioners better!) and contains oils. It serves me well to cleanse my hair and condition it.

I believe the cone-free UD are (there are probably some I've missed; names are in French because I'm a bit lazy to translate, sorry):
- vanille (this one is reported to be a good detangler but not heavy enough for long hair)
- camomille
- henné & vinaigre de mûre (good detangler, supposed to give hair / maintain reddish tints)
- cocoa butter and coconut oil (I haven't found this one, but I so want to try it)
- Shea butter and avocado (the one I have, pretty heavy)

There are tons of 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioners here, I agree... And it's difficult to find the right conditioner... But so far, I've only found Garnier and it works fine, though not miracles I'll admit. (I am also tempted by the L'Oréal "Ever" Lines.)

elvishkat
June 26th, 2012, 04:57 AM
dollyfish - It's quite a way down the list of ingredients...I might just be freaking out over nothing on that, thanks for reminding me how it works :)

prettykitty - Cyberhug back ! The internet is valuable at times like this :3 Thankyou :3

pepperminttea - Ah right, just read up about the UK vs US V05. I will have a look on Amazon UK and see what I can find. :3

DarkCurls - I'll maybe try the Garnier...I've seen that around for fairly cheap too. Do you dilute your condish at all? And if so, how, I'm kind of unsure how to do it as I've never needed to before...thanks :)

DarkCurls
June 26th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I don't dilute mine, since I have dry-ish hair that needs all the conditioning it can get, but if you find the texture too creamy/heavy, you can use only a little, and add water to spread it more efficiently... I have to say I've never tried, the only thing I've ever diluted is shampoo, since my hair loves conditioner.

Amazon is also a good alternative. :p More choice.

hellucy
June 26th, 2012, 05:15 AM
V05 is 'cone-free in the US, but the UK version contains 'cones, so if it is available in mainland Europe my bet would be on it also containing 'cones. Sorry elvishkat. :(

Pepperminttea is right in the UK V05 does contain cones....but The company who make V05 make 2 different versions/brands. What is sold in the US as V05 is sold in the UK/Europe as Alberto Balsam & is cone free. Amazon stock the Alberto Balsam range it's cheap but good stuff.

Freija
July 20th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Pepperminttea is right in the UK V05 does contain cones....but The company who make V05 make 2 different versions/brands. What is sold in the US as V05 is sold in the UK/Europe as Alberto Balsam & is cone free. Amazon stock the Alberto Balsam range it's cheap but good stuff.

Sorry - Alberto Balsam aren't 'cone-free. They contain cyclopentasiloxane and cyclohexasiloxane, the only two 'cones that don't end in -cone! They aren't bad, but I've always found the conditioners left my hair a bit plasticky and coated (of course, your mileage may vary, though). That said, I did used to get on quite well with the Alberto Balsam Tea Tree Tingle shampoo, and it's a product I sometimes return to when my scalp is unhappy.