PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use banana clips anymore?

Kayla Nyx
June 24th, 2012, 05:34 PM
My aunt went to a resale shop and found a whole bunch of old, heavy duty banana clips, and because I talked her into growing out her silvers and trying to treat her hair better, she shared with me!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ev8hAhN0JT0/T-elAR5LOTI/AAAAAAAAANM/qAd0rTviLhI/s800/2012-06-24_18-25-26_473.jpg

I figured it would help me out with my pony tail holder, I wear one every day, same spot, really tight. I'm hoping this puppy with help me with damage I may be doing.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VFEp_ylgFgQ/T-ek9Y8_NQI/AAAAAAAAAM8/dAeoAD2YCYY/s512/2012-06-24_18-20-10_797.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KZ4l9repUE8/T-ek9fYWFRI/AAAAAAAAAM4/AWEc6G8274U/s512/2012-06-24_18-20-19_23.jpg

plus I think it looks nice :p

Sylvestrix
June 24th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I do! I love them, and I have such a hard time finding decent ones! So comfortable. Love the way they look when you braid afterwards too- you should post some pics when you get round to using them! Congrats on the find, I may be slightly jealous! =P

spidermom
June 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I loved them when I could find them, but I haven't seen one in a very long time.

Delila
June 24th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I bought one some years ago in a fit of nostalgia and because it was glittery and red.

The main thing I re-learned is that with my fine/thin/wavy hair, banana clips just wouldn't hold. If my hair were thicker or a whole lot curlier, I think they would be great.

I wound up swapping it away to a good home. :)

~honeyflower~
June 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I have one but it doesn't stay in my hair well.

Kayla Nyx
June 24th, 2012, 07:29 PM
there, i added some pictures! I LOVE this one, though I do have to pin up some sides

auburntressed
June 24th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Nope, I never used them. They don't make a banana clip big or strong enough to hold my hair.

Kyla
June 24th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I don't know what they are, but your hair looks really cute with them!

Kayla Nyx
June 24th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks; I found some today at Walmart. 3 for $2.85. I had bought some of those years ago but now finally know how to use them.

Sisgoldenhair65
June 25th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Now I wanna go get one! I saw them at Claire's.

mckellyn
June 25th, 2012, 06:12 AM
I don't use them - mainly because I've just have never thought to - but they look great in your hair! Maybe I should try them!

juliaxena
June 25th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I think these are underrated (spelling?).

WaitingSoLong
June 25th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I saw an older woman yesterday wearing one. I would say she had shoulder length gray permed hair and only half of it was up in the clip and I thought it looked terrible, however, it got the hair away from her face. It is a decent way to wear layers and curled hair but I think it looks awful on straight hair.

CarpeDM
June 25th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I will always have a spot in my heart for banana clips, they were so cool when they came out and they did a pretty good job of holding and fanning out your hair so your hair looked big and fluffy! I miss the 80's!

ariesfairies
June 25th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I had one once but had no idea how to wear them :confused:

juliaxena
June 25th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I saw an older woman yesterday wearing one. I would say she had shoulder length gray permed hair and only half of it was up in the clip and I thought it looked terrible, however, it got the hair away from her face. It is a decent way to wear layers and curled hair but I think it looks awful on straight hair.

I am almost afraid to post this now because I have straight hair but I really don't see what is so awful about it :o.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af272/juliaxena/IMAG0423.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af272/juliaxena/IMAG0428.jpg

I think it gives the illusion of thicker hair which I like.

bumblebums
June 25th, 2012, 08:51 AM

Yes--as I recall, the height of their popularity was during The Great Perm Era.

xoerincolleen
June 25th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I haven't seen these since I was little! I like them, I kind of want to try one now. Kayla Nyx & juliaxena, it looks really cute on both of you!

CarpeDM
June 25th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Yes absolutely! I used mine with my first perm and it was awesome!

Debra83
I love them and use them all the time. the store I work at sells them too, and variations of them, but they don't work the greatest....I buy them elsewhere!!! I get mega compliments from one of my coworkers especially when I where them, I almost feel guilty wearing it to work!!!

LaFlor
I have one, but it won't stay in my hair :(

I love how it makes my pony feel longer :D

seven77
June 25th, 2012, 09:17 AM
One of the big reasons I'm growing my hair out... banana clips! I haven't worn one since I was 12, I forgot they existed, I SO want one! GROW HAIR GROW!
Looks great on you!

jacqueline101
June 25th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I love them I have a few some where.

Seeshami
June 25th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I do for face washing and when I just need my hair up for a minute. The Naughty Mess is to heavy and a bad hair clip spitter outer for banana clips to stand much chance.

Kayla Nyx
June 25th, 2012, 05:26 PM
oh yes. i love mine! I bought a couple more from walmart. they look a lot better than the ones my aunt gave me.

riceball
June 26th, 2012, 12:55 AM
YES! I love banana clips! I hardly ever see them here but when I go to Mexico I buy a bunch because they have really cute sparkly ones in all kinds of colors. But...sometimes I wonder if the plastic tugging on my hair is kinda bad or really bad. They are usually a snug fit for my hair.

white.chocolate
June 26th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Because of this thread I really wan't to go buy some banana clips now. :P I've seen some very pretty ones. Hope that my ponytail won't bee too heavy.

ladylowtide
June 26th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Oooh I saw some banana clips today. A bunch at icing. But I didn't think they would look cute in. But they look super cute in your hair. I guess I am going to have one more thing I want to buy for my hair.

hellucy
June 26th, 2012, 03:27 AM
I could never figure out how to get all my hair into it without my hair being really bumpy on my scalp & I could never get it to look tidy :(

MoonLover
June 26th, 2012, 08:48 AM
When I went to Cartegena, Columbia last year it seemed like all the girls and women were wearing them and they looked great! I didn't think they would work on me since they have much thicker hair than I do.

pink.sara
June 26th, 2012, 08:51 AM
That is super cute on you :)

Banana clips rule! Can't normally fit my hair into butterfly clips or claw clips as there's too much of it but I have this metal banana clip from the 80's (my Mum bought it for me in John Lewis when I was 8 or 9!) which is AWESOME.

Kind of makes my hair look like a mohawk as I plait sections on each side before I clip sometimes.

lundmir
June 27th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I love banana clips! Sadly, my hair became a thick monster and broke all I had. This thread has inspired me to go search for sturdier ones, I love the look.

Kaelee
June 27th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I have no idea how to use them....what do I do with them? Looks like a good option to swap out instead of ponytailing all the time.

Kayla Nyx
June 27th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Kaelee, I found this video that may help you with how to wear the banana clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SPczajzyJ0

Kaelee
June 28th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Kaelee, I found this video that may help you with how to wear the banana clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SPczajzyJ0

Oh wow, thanks! If I find any anytime soon I'll remember that! :D