PDA

View Full Version : Pool chemicals

-Cookiez-
June 24th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Hello there :)
I work for a learn to swim program in my town so I really don't have a choice if I am in the water or not.
Any tips on how to keep my hair from getting damaged from all the chemicals in the pool?

Roscata
June 24th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Soak it in fresh water before swimming and make sure you chelate regularly. Swim caps are the best alternative to protection though, try to keep your hair out of the water. :)

Tisiloves
June 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM
If you use a swim cap, use baby powder to stop it sticking.

MestizoGypsy
June 24th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Another swim coach here! I'm not allowed to wear a swim cap. so it's just coconut oil and a bun for me, then chelating if my hair gets chlorine in it. Right now I'm using the Ion sulfate free swimmer's shampoo from Sally Beauty and it seems to be doing the trick, although it doesn't smell very good.

Faythe
March 30th, 2016, 03:22 AM
I was going to post a new topic because I was thinking about the same question. Seriously, in my teens I used to go to the Wave Pool, where they make you wear caps if your hair is BSL. Now that it's creeping between mid-back and Tailbone, I'm sure I'll be getting stink eye getting into any pool. :p

Horrorpops
March 30th, 2016, 07:05 AM
I coconut oil my hair heavily and then braid it when I go scuba diving and it really helps cut down on dryness from the salt - maybe that could help with pool chemicals as well?

Wildcat Diva
March 30th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Maybe use a spray bottle with distilled or tap water to completely soak your hair before getting in? Usually tons of conditioner and oil is a no-no as it messes up the pool, but I would probably be a tiny bit anti-authority and use a small amount of coconut oil and conditioner in addition to the tap water. If I was in your shoes, I might experiment to find some way to cover my bun with plastic wrap and elastics and a scrunchie to hide the ugliness of the plastic wrap. That's probably a bad idea in case the plastic gets loose.

I have a small acrylic hair fork I use just for pools or the beach by the way.