PDA

View Full Version : First evoo deep treatment

Nymfora
June 24th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I have just applied my first deep evoo treatment :applause Im sitting with it covered in seran wrap and a very colorful shower cap lol. Is it ok that to the extra virgin olive oil I added a few drops of jojoba oil, sweet almond oil and eo's of peppermint, lavendar and rosemary?

I'm going to leave it on until I shower tonight, it's 2:37 pm here atm so the oil does have alot of time to soak in. I'm very excited to see how my hair takes to the evoo :D

Once I've showered it out I was thinking of maybe trying my hand at a fishtail braid before bed, any thoughts?

TIA :)

MegaMystery
June 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Ooh exciting, I hope you like it :D
As for the fishtail braid, it kind of depends whether your hair is really slippery after you wash it. I find the fishtail braid hard enough as is on 'dirty' hair, let alone when i just washed it and it's all slippery :S

ratgirldjh
June 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Sure you can put anything in it that you want. I've used all sorts of EO's. Just don't put too much.

Nymfora
June 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Well after letting my evoo oil mix soak in my hair for over 5 hours I just finished in the shower with a small bit of shampoo and my dove conditioner, and I think it rinsed good , although my hair is still drying some of the strands seem like they want to stick to eachother, hmm what should I do, should I wait till dry and see if my strands change once dry maybe? My hair doesn't seem as tangly when wet as before and I'm air drying now. Before I got into the shower I did notice that my hair seemed to have soaked up quite a bit of the oil I had applied :D Really excited to see what it looks like dried. Might wait until later tonight to braid it or even braid it in the morning.

Really liking this site and all the awsome tidbits :applause

MeowScat
June 24th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Definitely let it completely dry before you do anything else. This is your first time so you need to see the true results and decide if you used too much oil or not.

I've heard wonderful things about EVOO, but it turned out to be too heavy for my hair no matter how little I used so I switched to Coconut Oil for now.

Congrats on your first treatment! Let us know how it turns out once it's completely dry.

caadam
June 24th, 2012, 10:57 PM
EVOO and my hair are BFFs. lol Even though it's a heavy oil, it's never given me problems. I even mix it with my CO conditioner and it works great. I never get any leftover oiliness from it. EVOO leaves my hair very soft and shiny (I'll also add jojoba oil, which is also considered heavy).

I actually used a little too much EVOO in my condish today, and after I rinsed out my condish, my hair felt especially moisturized, but I was worried that the oil didn't wash out all the way. Not the case apparently! My hair is drying very nicely, not super oily at all. Yay. lol

So I hope all works out for you. Don't be distressed if it leaves your hair oily, though. EVOO does that to a good amount of people.

Also, an ever better way to get out lots of oil is using a heavy amount of conditioner and leaving it on for about an hour (or even a bit longer). I do this after oil treatments and it works perfectly. :D

Nymfora
June 25th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Well after my hair dried I was so happy :D My hair feels so smooth and silky and I even got a bit more body to the top, where it doesn't seem to be weighed down like before. I did try my first fishtail braid this morning and Im wearing it over my right shoulder, Im gonna try again later and maybe post a pick of it, my first one is nice but I wanna try for a better one lol :o

Really hoping that using these wonderful oils and essential oils will bring new growth to my thinning section :)

MeowScat
June 25th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'm glad it worked out so well for you! You're very lucky that you found something that works on the first try. I'm never that fortunate. It seems like everything I do makes my hair look greasy.

Yay for you! I hope you post pics. :)

Amanah
June 25th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I read somewhere that EVOO and Coconut oil are the oils that are best absorbed into the hair and that if you mix those two oils together, you may get the best results.
EVOO seems to be more moisturizing for my hair, and Coconut oil seems to have more protein. Maybe that is why mixing them is good, they both are absorbed and both add a little something different.

Jojoba oil is nice for the scalp and skin. I'm not sure what Almond oil is best for.

I was thinking a mix of EVOO, Coconut, and Jojoba might be ideal, as you are getting two oils that are best for your hair and the one that is best for your scalp.

Nymfora
June 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Thank you for all the awsome comments :D My hair still feels soft and I really can't stop touching it LOL, my DH looks at me today like :confused: hahaha! But he did say that it felt very soft before bed. I'm thinking of doing this heavy oil treatment maybe once a week to maybe even once every two weeks, haven't decided yet.

I even used a bit of my lavender essential oil on my temples to try and get rid of this nasty headache. Who would have thought I'd be having this much fun going au'natural for my hair :D

Nymfora
June 26th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I just have a quick question :) How do I know if my shampoo and conditioner have "cones" in them?

I'm currently using Head & Shoulders ` Itchy Scalp Care with Eucalyptus, I usually use the one with mint but they had none in stock but in this shampoo I added a few drops of my EO of peppermint. My conditioner is Dove Nutritive Therapy Nourishing Oil Care that I add some of my other oils to for an added bonus. So are these good to use??

DarkCurls
June 26th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I'm pretty sure the dove conditioner contains amodimethicone, maybe over silicones as I have never found a dove product without them, but I may be wrong. Check the ingredients list for product names ending in -cone (amodimethicone, dimethicone), -xane, or -conol. Those are "cones" (silicones).

A product containing cones is not necessarily bad to use. I don't like them, but that doesn't mean anything for your hair.

Nymfora
June 26th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I just checked both of them and yup they both have silicones :( How do I know if they are harming my hair? So far I don't really notice anything bad when I use them, I do get some frizz sometimes but other than that nothing really bad.

caadam
June 26th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I just checked both of them and yup they both have silicones :( How do I know if they are harming my hair? So far I don't really notice anything bad when I use them, I do get some frizz sometimes but other than that nothing really bad.

To my understanding (and I admit it might be a pretty limited understanding), a lot people will experience some limpness from silicone. It can cause some heavy buildup and lots of people need to clarify when using silicone. It can make hair feel crunchy, plastic-like, and if you have wavy/curly hair, silicone will sometimes straighten those down (which isn't always desired).

However, there are still a good amount of people on this forum that really like silicone, and use products with silicone often. Their hair just really likes it. :) Makes hair very shiny. So whether you want to use silicone or not is totally up to you and how it affects your hair.

Nymfora
June 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks :D For my hair it's somewhat thick and abit wavy but I don't notice any build up when I use them and the hair feels soft once dry to. I'm just gonna stick with what I know my hair likes atm and see where it takes me. I really do LOVE how the deep evoo mix treatment took and how even today my hair is still so soft :happydance: When I go to style it in the mornings I can't help but run my fingers through it lol. I have also been trying alot of different updo's with braids lately as before I found this site I was only using literally one hair style O.o And now I'm having so much fun trying new hairstyles out!! Thanks

DarkCurls
June 26th, 2012, 09:32 AM
You'll be able to tell whether or not the 'cones are working for you. :D But they don't damage hair, as far as I know. Sometimes they just don't make it pretty. :p

My curly-ish hair actually seemed to thrive on them. I had this coney "oil"-type serum which I applied every morning that redefined my curls really well. They never weighed my hair down and made it shiney. I just dropped them at the same time as I dropped shampoo. :p Coneless CO-washing works way better than shampoo+cones for me, so I don't regret it, but I do look at that lovely serum now and again with longing. I can't bear to throw it away. :) So yeah, if your hair likes cones, then that's fine.

blaketob
June 26th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Yehh my shampoo and conditioner has cones in them too. I was trying to be cone-free, but I really like the way Suave Professionals effects my hair so I decided that having some cones isn't too bad :p

kitekats
June 27th, 2012, 04:51 AM
He, he, I left over the night a huge amount of coconut oil in my hair : ) , so now when they are dry, sadly enough they don't seem so fattened up and well fed as I hoped that they would be. Maybe that crappy synthetic shampoo that I used in the morning made hair dry again :(, or I'm just expecting wonders after first time of oiling this year...Anyway, I do hope to lay my hands on one of those super natural-no-wicked-chemicals shampoos soon, And I promised to myself that I won't dye my hair with those evil hair colors anymore...But it is so hard to resist :0

Nymfora
June 27th, 2012, 08:02 AM
It is very hard to resist, I haven't dyed my hair with those in a year and a half now :D I do have a pic of my hair down and almost dry just gotta figure out how to post it lol.

gthlvrmx
June 11th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I read somewhere that EVOO and Coconut oil are the oils that are best absorbed into the hair and that if you mix those two oils together, you may get the best results.
EVOO seems to be more moisturizing for my hair, and Coconut oil seems to have more protein. Maybe that is why mixing them is good, they both are absorbed and both add a little something different.

Jojoba oil is nice for the scalp and skin. I'm not sure what Almond oil is best for.

I was thinking a mix of EVOO, Coconut, and Jojoba might be ideal, as you are getting two oils that are best for your hair and the one that is best for your scalp.
coconut oil has no protein in it, it helps retain protein in the hair and something about hlping the hair not constrict and back and forht you know like when hair is wet? if you wet it to much and let it dry, it restricts and constricts too much causing the cuticles to lift and causing breakage i think?
that and it does have peroxide that can bleach your hair. this happens to ppl over time using a lot. for some it takes 6 months to notice :P lighter hair can see the effects more i think or was it dark..? i forgot. so just careful on that if you dont want it to get too bleached but it shouldnt be too much of a problem

Thank you for all the awsome comments :D My hair still feels soft and I really can't stop touching it LOL, my DH looks at me today like :confused: hahaha! But he did say that it felt very soft before bed. I'm thinking of doing this heavy oil treatment maybe once a week to maybe even once every two weeks, haven't decided yet.

I even used a bit of my lavender essential oil on my temples to try and get rid of this nasty headache. Who would have thought I'd be having this much fun going au'natural for my hair :D

id be careful with EO's if theyre not being washed out completely i read somehwere that they do leave a film, lavender oil does that. it leaves a film that can cause hair to dry or something? i forgot but you have to clarify it out. i didnt like that idea and most EO's do that cuz theyre drying oils i think and not nondrying like EVOO. correct me if im wrong its been a while :P

evoo is a nondrying i think which is fine it leaves no film on top so when you remove it you dont have to really clarify it out, conditioner should do the job
evoo does make your hair really soft :P it does help retain a lot of moisture but also there are lipids in it that can penetrate i think and some other "nourishing" things i forgot what they were >.< i would find the information but its late, you can try it on your own by like using "evoo fatty lipids long hair community" on google. thats how i find most of my info and then experiment :P
but they penetrate and stay in there making it feel silkier and nice :33
for some ppl too much evoo makes your hair crunchier and tangly and maybe drier O.o
i think thats' when its too much built up and it's not fully getting out. it happens and much more fast with drying oils like lavender. do the research to find out the difference with them all but leme see if i have something bookmarked
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971
that might help?

as for au natural on the EO's i dunno how natural they are....if the bottle says "do not ingest" then its not fully natural. i wouldnt trust it, you can use lavender in cooking so why cant you use the oil if it's from the plant itself...shouldnt lavender oil be natural already? :P
there are some good companies that actually make real natural lavender oil but its more expensive. the kind at GNC are alrite but nahh not amazing for me XD id rather take the plant itself for relieving headaches it works better for me :P it calms me down more when im anxious.

gthlvrmx
June 11th, 2013, 12:13 AM
You'll be able to tell whether or not the 'cones are working for you. :D But they don't damage hair, as far as I know. Sometimes they just don't make it pretty. :p

My curly-ish hair actually seemed to thrive on them. I had this coney "oil"-type serum which I applied every morning that redefined my curls really well. They never weighed my hair down and made it shiney. I just dropped them at the same time as I dropped shampoo. :p Coneless CO-washing works way better than shampoo+cones for me, so I don't regret it, but I do look at that lovely serum now and again with longing. I can't bear to throw it away. :) So yeah, if your hair likes cones, then that's fine.

damage as in the hair gets drier? that does happen its like a coating that doesnt come off easily.

silicone conditioner doest seem to do as a good job taking oil out of your hair as conditioner without silicone :P suave naturals are cheap and have no silicone and help with taking out oils pretty well.
ive tried with silicone and it did not work. itll build up and you have to use harsher stuff to get rid of it which ruins the purpose of doing those deep moisture treatments...since shampoo and clarifiers do take out moisture...hence why many ppl experience dry hair with shampoo alone XD they give me splits and i don't let it touch my ends ever :P some of it get's down to the ends and its not fun.

have fun experimenting! :D :)

ima try my own evoo treatment later :P

gthlvrmx
June 11th, 2013, 12:35 AM
He, he, I left over the night a huge amount of coconut oil in my hair : ) , so now when they are dry, sadly enough they don't seem so fattened up and well fed as I hoped that they would be. Maybe that crappy synthetic shampoo that I used in the morning made hair dry again :(, or I'm just expecting wonders after first time of oiling this year...Anyway, I do hope to lay my hands on one of those super natural-no-wicked-chemicals shampoos soon, And I promised to myself that I won't dye my hair with those evil hair colors anymore...But it is so hard to resist :0
if its the shampoo why not ditch it? i still really dont get the point of using oil and then shampooing iv heard for some it works but ive liked the stuff ppl say that it works better to get oil out with conditioner. not all super dry and the treatment has a better affect
shampoo does strip away the moisture.
and the oil (but not as well) it takes a lot more shampoo to do it...but a lot of shampoo is drying to hair XD
conditioner, it does help with cuz it has humectants (humectants are stuff that attract moisture as long as the dew point is in the correct temp, 45-65 degrees F..anything less it takes moisture out, anything more and you can have too much moisture) to attractmoisture and to get rid of oil. it has stuff in it that can help clean and get the oil off without drying it out too much.
theres that, ill always go with conditioner for getting rid of oils XD
shampoo never worked for me and i tried evoo treatment and then shampooed it out
didnt work
it felt the same and even drier than before just to get the oil out without looking stringy. so bad.

OHH ONE THING

some ppl do oil treatments with dry hair
thats great
if it works for you! :D :)
damp hair though ensures that you do get more moisture at least get some water to help retain more moisture

evoo does make it softer even when dry but its cuz it has lipids/fatty things that help it get smoother :P
but i cant use it when dry.
theres not enough moisture in the air to even trap moisture for my hair anyways it just gets drier and drier since it cant get through as well. so might as well dampen it up and boom nice and good

melusine963
June 11th, 2013, 06:59 AM
that and it does have peroxide that can bleach your hair. this happens to ppl over time using a lot. for some it takes 6 months to notice :P lighter hair can see the effects more i think or was it dark..? i forgot. so just careful on that if you dont want it to get too bleached but it shouldnt be too much of a problem

Coconut oil has peroxide in it??? Are you sure you're not confusing it with honey? By the way, this thread is almost a year old.

LadyCelestina
June 11th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Coconut oil has peroxide in it??? Are you sure you're not confusing it with honey? By the way, this thread is almost a year old.

I'm sure that gthlvrmx meant EVOO...But I never heard of anyone experiencing lightening of hair from EVOO.

gthlvrmx
June 11th, 2013, 01:48 PM
yeah it does its a smaller amount and yeah i just checked a year old. thats fine :Prandom folk can find it and maybe get some more info :P
honey and coconut oil has peroxide in it:P

gthlvrmx
June 11th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I'm sure that gthlvrmx meant EVOO...But I never heard of anyone experiencing lightening of hair from EVOO.

ummm evoo made my hair a different color after a while i forgot what shade i thik it was lighter so it has peroxide in it. im sensitive to this stuff so in a month my hair got lighter and i only use it once a week mind you though i leave it on all week. :P but i forgot. regular acv made my hair redder :P
BUT again ionoo my hair is funny
ive checked older threads from 2010 and they say they dont lighten hair though recently maybe last year i found threads with ppl saying their hair got lighter with coconut oil or evoo and theyve used it for a long time and i was like...well that explains everything -_-
yeah my hair got darker at first with evoo but then after a month my ends were not he same color anymore and got lighter and then i got that crunchiness and i had to change my routine. ehh. wateverrr.

LadyCelestina
June 13th, 2013, 06:46 AM
ummm evoo made my hair a different color after a while i forgot what shade i thik it was lighter so it has peroxide in it. im sensitive to this stuff so in a month my hair got lighter and i only use it once a week mind you though i leave it on all week. :P but i forgot. regular acv made my hair redder :P
BUT again ionoo my hair is funny
ive checked older threads from 2010 and they say they dont lighten hair though recently maybe last year i found threads with ppl saying their hair got lighter with coconut oil or evoo and theyve used it for a long time and i was like...well that explains everything -_-
yeah my hair got darker at first with evoo but then after a month my ends were not he same color anymore and got lighter and then i got that crunchiness and i had to change my routine. ehh. wateverrr.
Okay,but,how can you be sure that was not due to sun exposure?

ETA: I'm not saying you are wrong,after all,it's your hair and you know best,maybe it really lightens easily and even the small amount of peroxide in EVOO bleached it out.
I have used EVOO for cca. three months and my hair is still the same colour,I hope it won't change.