PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong?

yldchyld
August 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM
I'm so awful. Do any of the rest of you go into a department store and while shopping in the hair department if you hear two people discussing products etc....casually walk down the aisle and maybe sorta flip your hair over your shoulder??

I should be ashamed - fishing for compliments like that!!

But I'm not. Is is wrong? :whistle:

Hatsumomo
August 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Lol I'm glad someone else owned up to this;)

Leisha
August 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM
LOL you know, now that you mention it, I kind of do that too, sometimes...

When I see someone looking at the hair products, looking a bit confused I walk past near to them and hope they might compliment me and go "ooh, if you don't mind me asking, what do you use on that hair of yours??" :D :o :whistle: lol!!!7

ETA: Needless to say, it has never actually happened :lol:

RavenDream
August 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
I do this all the time too. I'll run my fingers through my hair or twirl it around my fingers and hope to get compliments.

Euphony
August 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
hahaha whenever something like this happens to me it's usually a hot day or something and my hair is up <sigh>

Though I did go to GNC and bought some of those Ultra Nourish Hair vitamins and my hair was down. The girl was so funny, she had the cutest little ponytail. She said "do you take these a lot?" I said I take them sometimes and sometimes a different multivitamin and that I have no idea if they help me or not, but they are a good vitamin so why not. She said she was going to buy a bottle LOL

Eireann
August 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM
I wish my hair was long enough/nice enough to do this! I'm constantly seeing much MUCH nicer hair than mine all over town. I don't think I would impress anyone particularly. :shrug:

SHELIAANN1969
August 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hey, would that be 'flouncing' ?? haha

I have never done that quite in that manner, no-one ever compliments me IRL except for 2 drunk chicks in a bar when my hair was down because I cracked my Monk the Monk spiral stick. ( He replaced it for me)

OhioLisa
August 1st, 2008, 02:49 PM
I wear my hair up in public all the time, so I can't speak from personal experience. I don't think it's REALLY wrong... maybe just a little. ;) But seriously, everyone needs a compliment now and then. Flaunt it, girl. :D

FrannyG
August 1st, 2008, 03:31 PM
I do not do this, because, well my hair just isn't all that as yet.

However, is it wrong? Most certainly not! :grin:

Xandergrammy
August 1st, 2008, 03:37 PM
I do not do this, because, well my hair just isn't all that as yet.

However, is it wrong? Most certainly not! :grin:

Please pardon the hijack, but Franny, I do believe that your hair IS all that NOW. Look at your hair, woman! It's like polished glass!!!!

Carry on....:gabigrin:

Islandgrrl
August 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM
Can't say I have ever done this, and it may be on the scale of right and wrong, just a tiny bit tipped in the direction of wrong (but not much at all.....:)). I'm definitely gonna give it a try, though!!!!

Isilme
August 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'm not alone!! Yay! I thought I was the only one doing this. Wrong? Not at all;)

AJoifulNoise
August 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM
Of course it is!

Just kidding! Nah, I don't think it's wrong (unless maybe the other person's hair is awful... Then maybe it's mean).

There was one time I when I walked by a little girl at Wal*Mart. As I approached, I knew she was starring at my braids. So, when I passed her, I flicked one behind my back. I was rewarded with a gasp and a "whoa..." :D Made my day.

bunnii
August 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM
When I get girls looking at me funny for the way I dress or i'm pale or they're just rude I often give them a little flick of the hair in a 'hahahaha!! look at my hair its soooo pretty and you wish you had it!!' way but that's when i'm feeling mean hehe

lawyermom
August 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
I do it ALL the time! I never get any responses though.
Do you think it might be because my hair is shorter than my ears?

:wigtongue

(I am kidding of course!)

redpenny
August 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hahaha! I thought I was the only person thinking this! :smile: I don't actually throw it or do anything with my hair but I am thinking of it in my head when I walk by.

trolleypup
August 1st, 2008, 06:03 PM
Fishing for compliments...maybe a tiny little bit wrong.

I will pull my hairstick to let my hair down when I see someone with particularly good hair...I prefer to give compliments from the perspective of "professional courtesy" rather than freaky possibly pervy guy. And if I get one in return, well, golly! ;)

yldchyld
August 1st, 2008, 07:21 PM
now that I know I am not alone, I will have to watch out for other LHC's in the aisles.
We might have a preening contest!

oh, and btw I never get verbal compliments from those people in the aisles or asked what I use. I do get them from other sources, but for some reason the aisle people just stare. But I do it anyway. Vanity is a sin right? But dangit, I'm a chubby middle-aged pale woman...I got nothing else physical wise to be vain about. :rolleyes:

yldchyld
August 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
I do it ALL the time! I never get any responses though.
Do you think it might be because my hair is shorter than my ears?

:wigtongue

Hey, when I had a swing-bob in the military I purposely tried to get it to swing all the time. :p

silentwisp
August 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM
I never do this but I also dress like a boy and generally try to avoid attention. Hahaha.

As for it being "wrong" I guess it's probably a little wrong but I think the only person you'd be hurting is yourself :D

Cereus
August 1st, 2008, 09:07 PM
It's funny but when I see strangers with beautiful hair I'm afraid to complement them. I guess I assume that they know that their hair is beautiful. It never crossed my mind that they may want a complement. Actually, I kind of like the thought that they may be flipping their hair around to get my attention!

Ndnlady
August 1st, 2008, 10:11 PM
Heck no! It's not wrong! I think if you have beautiful hair you should flaunt it!:) I do flaunt my hair when it is in half-ups, but most of the time it is the people that know me that oooo and aahhhh because I have my hair in a bun most of the time!

ZaBasDa
August 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM
I've never actually done this before. Then again, my hair would probably try to eat the stuff on the aisle. But I never seem to get compliments when I want/expect them anyway. Like last Wednesday at church, I went in with soaking wet hair in a ponytail and 3 people said I had really pretty long hair. :rolleyes:

So maybe I should start giving compliments to the people I see with pretty hair when they swish it all around. :D

missmanytoes
August 1st, 2008, 10:54 PM
LOL! NO, it isn't wrong. A little vain, perhaps, but not wrong. :D Last time I was in Sallys I was looking at the really intense red and blue temporary hair colors and asked the sales lady if she thought these would show up in my very dark brown hair. She didn't think so unless I was willing to bleach and pointed out their colored fake hair extensions. I told her that none were long enough for my hair, but she said "I think we might come up with something long enough for you" and then I pulled my hair out of it's bun...her eyes bugged a little and she re-grouped and said that no, they didn't have something quite that long after all. She said "I knew you had long hair, but I didn't realize it was THAT long". So yeah, I was fishing when I pulled my hair down because I knew none of the extensions were anywhere near long enough for me. Like I said, a little vain, but not wrong!

Saranne772
August 2nd, 2008, 06:32 AM
Not really. I get paranoid about people touching.

Its little old ladies on buses and trams that are the ones that ALWAYS comment! "I used to have hair like that etc etc" :)

EvaSimone
August 2nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
No I don't think it's wrong...

I don't do it because I think a lot of people have nicer hair than I do, mine is two toned and dye damaged. Usually when mine is down it becomes piecy and separated thus not really all that great.

I do love to give product tips though, the cashier at TJ Maxx made a mistake when she asked me if I have used Giovanni before, she probably learned more about sulfates than she ever wanted to know... ;)

ChloeDharma
August 2nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
the cashier at TJ Maxx made a mistake when she asked me if I have used Giovanni before, she probably learned more about sulfates than she ever wanted to know... ;)

Lol you sound fab! I used to do that to poor unsuspecting customers when i worked the till in a supermarket.....anything coming through that i used on my skin or hair (eggs, oil, yogurt, coconut milk, vinegar etc) i used to be like "have you tried using this on your hair?......its fab!..." and then go into one. Surprisingly quite a few customers would be really interested.

As for showing off my hair.....no, not much to show off really, unless it's freshly hennad and i'm in the sunshine....then i feel good. But the way i see it, you put alot of effort into growing nice long hair.....you have every right to feel proud of it.

yldchyld
August 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
No I don't think it's wrong...

I don't do it because I think a lot of people have nicer hair than I do, mine is two toned and dye damaged. Usually when mine is down it becomes piecy and separated thus not really all that great.

I do love to give product tips though, the cashier at TJ Maxx made a mistake when she asked me if I have used Giovanni before, she probably learned more about sulfates than she ever wanted to know... ;)

Hey, that happens to every body. Living in Orlando there are tons of women with lovely gorgeous long black hair. There was a girl I went to college with a few years back that had the thickest most luxurious long blonde hair I have ever seen. She sat behind me, totally stealing my limelight!! ;)
I didn't even know anybody paid attention to my hair until I cut off about 7 inches and one of the other girls behind me exclaimed "YOU CUT YOUR HAIR OFF!"

Whoa lady! Do you know see HER hair? (but I secretly grinned!)

LadyMoon11
August 2nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
No - that's not wrong! It is nice for each person to have something to be proud of and some way to be happy about themselves. Not wrong. ;) A little bit of validation is always nice; a little bit of vanity is just a part of being human, imo.

I caught myself the other day being a little vain and... perhaps a little cruel:twisted::twisted:
Our local CVS is adjacent to a Cost Cutters Salon. On my way into CVS, I have to walk by Cost Cutter's three large picture windows. When I walked by the other day, Cost Cutter's lobby was full, and many people were sitting in the chairs staring out the windows. I just had to... walk a little slower and give my hair a little flip swing. I received a lot of stares.... :o All of those people were probably just about to get their hair cut- I just had to. Vain and a little silly- but I enjoyed it a bit. :D

KiwiLiz
August 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Do I do this? Heck yes. Is it wrong? Maybe a little... but we're allowed to be bad sometimes.

I just wear it down, or in an elaborate do, to get compliments :P

When I get girls looking at me funny for the way I dress or i'm pale or they're just rude I often give them a little flick of the hair in a 'hahahaha!! look at my hair its soooo pretty and you wish you had it!!' way but that's when i'm feeling mean hehe

I stare at pale girls (I'm sorry... that sounds so creepy) because they're awesome, I'm very pale too, so hopefully they realise I'm looking at them as a kindred spirit and not in a creepy way! I saw a pale girl last summer wearing a top that said "Pale is the new tan" on the front, we were both crossing the road towards each other, I stared at her and she stared back at me, then we both smiled at each other. It was a nice moment. Pale girls rock.

30isthenewblack
August 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
I stare at pale girls (I'm sorry... that sounds so creepy) because they're awesome, I'm very pale too, so hopefully they realise I'm looking at them as a kindred spirit and not in a creepy way! I saw a pale girl last summer wearing a top that said "Pale is the new tan" on the front, we were both crossing the road towards each other, I stared at her and she stared back at me, then we both smiled at each other. It was a nice moment. Pale girls rock.

That is so sweet :D

swanns
August 2nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
Haha, I totally do this :D Glad I'm not the only one. Well, not at hair care product sections, but, pretty much everywhere. Once there was this new girl at work and I had my hair up, then at coffee break I sort of casually took my hair down hoping she'd compliment on it, and she did :p Works sometimes.

Lady Godiva
August 2nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hmm. This is complicated.

When I issue compliments to someone with long hair, I try to have mine up so it doesn't look like I'm fishing for a compliment in return. This way the attention is on that person only.

I was once accused of growing my hair super long so I could make an entire race feel bad about their hair, because I live in a certain kind of neighborhood. There are so many things wrong, false and evil about that accusation (which says plenty about the person saying it, of course), that I don't know where to begin with it, but suffice it to say that I don't wear my hair down often anyway - because it's super long - but I wonder if the comment affected me more than I know.

In the same vein, more recently in a bookstore, I skimmed a book about hair in which the author accused women with straight-ish hair of all sorts of negative, bragging motives, such as if they simply picked out a bit of lint or a leaf from their hair in public, or if they pulled it out it if it were caught under their purse straps, then any onlookers who didn't have straight hair would be justified feeling bad about their hair because the woman "obviously" was showing off her "better" hair.

I kid you not on both counts. :shake: The first person is such a jerk, and that author has problems! Sure, I buy the BS that I'm responsible for how other people feel, and I'm responsible for racism and hair-ism because I happened to be born this way and like long hair and benign neglect. :hmm:

See, other people's problems can become ours when enough of them shove them on us over and over. This is why this subject is complicated, and it's why people often tell us to cut off our hair, then sometimes become indignant when we refuse to. Showing off hair can come off badly. You never know what other people are thinking when your hair cascades down from a clip, because it may not be "how beautiful." Envy is a sickening thing.

FrannyG
August 2nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
Lady Godiva, that was a really enlightening post on many levels. Thank you for posting your thoughts. :flowers: It has given me quite a bit to think about.

yldchyld
August 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Wow. You have met people with issues! Who wrote that book btw?

For some reason, I never get negative comments from people when I am out and about - about anything. I am told it's because I enjoy a good confrontation and people sense that - I never get to have any fun. ;-(

ole gray mare
August 2nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Not everyone likes, values or appreciates long hair. Many people find it "weird", out of style, whatever. In fact, I think we long hair enthusiasts are the minority of the population, to be perfectly honest.

As I get older, I become less concerned with what people think of me...be it good or bad. I give them fewer opportunities to compliment me, or to criticize me. They are different sides of the same coin when you have any feature (hair being one of them) that is not "standard".

Euphony
August 2nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Not everyone likes, values or appreciates long hair. Many people find it "weird", out of style, whatever.

That is so true of so many things! I see it more and more, the more I decide to say the heck with society and do my own thing.

I notice I get a lot of stares when I dress for me. For a long time I thought it was due to my overly fluffiness. But I realize when I dress 'normal' and have my hair up, I'm actually pretty invisible. How a size 22 woman can be invisible is beyond me, but it's true.

I enjoy dressing in ankle length, colorful, full skirts, I have a torn achellis tendon so I wear my Crocs with them, I like 3/4 length sleeves that have a bit of lavish to them, put all this together with wavy (ie to society 'wild'), henna'd hair past my waiste band, not a drop of make up and it's a recipe for a stare, mostly from women. It's so funny, when men stare they tend to meet my eyes and smile usually very broadly, when women stare they stare at whatever it is from my shoes to my hair and just keep staring at that particular thing and never meet my gaze.

Sometimes I wonder what is going on in the women's heads - in the men's heads I figure they just appreciate the oddness combined with femininity. My husband loves my manner of dress and tends to grab my hand or put his arm around me when a man stares at me (:cloud9: ), but women baffle me for the most part. I have on occasion had a woman generally that I know, mention something along the lines of they wish they had the courage to dress like me. Comments like that bother me, it's unfortunate that they enjoy the way I dress etc; but can't bring themselves to go against society and do it themselves.

Society has too much of a hold on people.

Elenna
August 2nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Fishing for compliments...maybe a tiny little bit wrong.

I was going to say this, but Trolleypup said it first.

But anyway, there is nothing wrong with enjoying your hair with whirling your hair around. :D

Lady Godiva
August 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
I was uncertain whether or not to post my earlier post, but now I am glad that I did. I did not want to come across as judgmental, because having my hair complimented is a delightful experience, too, and I truly believe we should not be ashamed of or coerced to hide the beauty that nature/God has given us. I am firmly against that. Besides, it's other people's problems if they get all huffy and insecure about our hair or whatever else sparks a reaction in them. We should not have to hide our "lights" or become invisible just so other people don't have to deal with their problems.

Wow. You have met people with issues! Who wrote that book btw?
Yldchyld, I wish I could remember the name of the book and the author! :mad: I remember being stunned by the persecution complex that she preached as if reasonable and legitimate. Unfortunately I was with some other people and was easily distracted, and shortly thereafter we headed off to a baseball game. I never forgot her attitude, though.

I also don't believe I ever met the first person. That happened online at another long hair site. Yeah, even long-haired people can treat other longhairs badly.

I give them fewer opportunities to compliment me, or to criticize me. They are different sides of the same coin when you have any feature (hair being one of them) that is not "standard".I am becoming increasingly aware of the truth in this. Last weekend I wore a banded ponytail to a big biker event where my husband's band was playing. One man in the crowd kept interjecting himself while I was taking photographs. He was amazed by my hair and actually wanted me to take out all the hair bands going down the length of the tail just so he could see it loose. :disgust: Then he proceeded to try to get in the way of my photo-taking. What a jerk! But that's drunk people, and I'm digressing. Sorry folks!

Nyghtingale
August 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I always have my hair up when I go out, but I do have a tendency to let it down when walking around stores. And yes, I usually love the attention it gets. Thought I was the only one, lol :D

intothemist1999
August 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
I wish my hair was long enough/nice enough to do this! I'm constantly seeing much MUCH nicer hair than mine all over town. I don't think I would impress anyone particularly. :shrug:

Yeah, mine's not nice enough, either :shrug:

Chromis
August 2nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Not my style. Mine is normally up and I don't go down the product aisles at all. I wear it down very infrequently and have gotten compliments for it, but I do not fish for them. I prefer to be happy with my appearance for myself instead of looking for validation from outside :twocents:

dewlily
August 3rd, 2008, 06:23 AM
As the old saying goes...If you got it, FLAUNT it!....you go girl

atlantaz3
August 3rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
Ya know now I feel bad that I commented on this woman that I saw at a concert last night. The band was Forever and there were a lot of long hairs out and about - mostly men - hair down to their waist but I digress. This lady had on a black leather cat suit, 4" spiked heels platform shoes with buckles past the knees. She knew what she was dressing for and had to expect the stares. (She also had the bod for it - green monster lurking.)
If it makes you happy to do a hair flip go for it, I play with my hair all the time and I have to laugh at myself. I have a mirror at the end of my hall way and I usually find myself doing the Marsha Brady hair swing down the hall - which means I probably do it in other places!
Don't we all want compliments - seeking approval from our peers?

heatherainsley
August 3rd, 2008, 08:52 AM
i am so glad other people do this lol was thinking i was the only one.

yldchyld
August 3rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Hahahaha! Well, I have enjoyed the responses and I am certainly glad I am not alone in flaunting/taunting others in the shampoo aisle!

The post was really meant tongue-in-cheek and to evoke a giggle from people that have the same little evil streak running through their veins. :p

My friends and I ask the "Is it wrong" question to ourselves all the time about stuff we see or do.

Like, "Is it wrong that I push my cat into a full bathtub if I get a chance?"

sahiba
August 3rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
Please pardon the hijack, but Franny, I do believe that your hair IS all that NOW. Look at your hair, woman! It's like polished glass!!!!

Carry on....:gabigrin:

:agree:. Don't you ever say anything less about your hair.Its a beauty. And my, I did'nt know I was not the only one. Lets start a club of "fishing for hair compliments "club.:beerchug: What say :eyebrows:

bunnii
August 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM

Nope not creepy! pale girls do rock I look at pale girls too, they look at me, maybe smile and its nice that i'm not the only one who has the love of highest factor sunblock :D also do you know where to find one of these tshirts?? I want one NOW!! lol

KiwiLiz
August 11th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Nope not creepy! pale girls do rock I look at pale girls too, they look at me, maybe smile and its nice that i'm not the only one who has the love of highest factor sunblock :D also do you know where to find one of these tshirts?? I want one NOW!! lol

Me too! I think she might have printed it her self or got it custom printed maybe. I see your England, so I'm not sure where you'd find a place that does it for you (that isn't a big printing company that only does bulk orders) there's one in a department store in the city I live in, and in the central city mall. They just seem to be around and about, so keep your eye out for one.

Calanthe
August 11th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Maybe a tiny bit wrong ;). But then, everybode likes compliments.

I've never done this - I don't wear my hair down and don't buy much hairstuff anyway. My workmate who sits behind my in our office asks sometimes how I've done this bun or that one, that's all.

~GypsyCurls~
January 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Heh :redgrin:

I've done the hair flip when walking past the flat iron kiosks in the mall...flaunting the curliness lol!

Bene
January 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM
i wear my hair up all the time. i rarely go outside with it down. sometimes i'll adjust my bun in public, but never in the fancy conditioner commercial, hair shaking, cascading way. i don't think my hair is healthy/long enough to do that. also, it seems out of place, the girly hair toss when i'm waddling around in baggy jeans and chuck taylors. my boyfriend seems to like my hair, so i'll only wear it down for him.

on the few rare occasions that my hair is down outside of this room, i'll get compliments, like "wow, your hair is so long/pretty/shiny/etc". but i have issues, so like i'm always paranoid that if i let that person see my hair down again that they'll think i'm fishing for compliments. and i'll be thinking i either have to keep my hair up ALL the time, or make sure that person sees me with my hair down every time they see me so that they don't think i wore it down that one time for the sole purpose of receiving a compliment. so rather than worry about that, up it stays.

and also, i like to keep it up, so if i ever do decide to take it down, there's the whole wow factor. i learned about this a few years ago at work when i took my hair down to adjust and a co-worker was in complete awe, like "how do you keep all that hair in that bun?!" so like, i figure there's an appropriate time for those wow moments, i just have to keep it up to save it for a rainy day.

also, my sister has this weird hair length competition going on in her head. like she compares our lengths as if it's some sort of a race. i grew up with this superstition that if an envious person gives you a compliment on something and touches it, that you'll lose it. so i keep my hair up around my sister so she doesn't try to touch it. also, if she saw how much better it is than hers (which, let's be honest here, it really is), she'll ask me what i do, and then i'll be obligated to tell her about my routines which i don't want to do, because if i don't it'll become "a thing". yes, my sister is crazy. so i have to keep my hair up around my entire family because if i don't, i know someone will mention it to my sister who'll then want to see/touch/compare, and i don't want all my hair falling out :( and i don't want to share all the nifty things i've learned with her, because then it'll become another competition that i don't want to be a part of.

yes, issues.

Alia
January 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM

Like, "Is it wrong that I push my cat into a full bathtub if I get a chance?" LOL!:rollin:

Drynwhyl
January 13th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I don't really fish for compliments, but if I see a fellow longhair, sometimes I pass in front of them, getting them to notice, and I feel when someone is looking at me :)
I guess I'm a bit of a show-off, deep inside :o

sandigirl
January 13th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I ALWAYS compliment other people with nice hair and I get compliments several times/day when my hair is down, but almost never when in a ponytail.
I think the OP was cute.