PDA

View Full Version : Shedding during scalp oiling: what's normal?

meteor
June 24th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I've been doing oil scalp massages once or twice per week for a few months now, and I know you are likely to shed a lot at the initial stage of introducing this routine, but I still shed a lot every time I massage my scalp with oil... even more than when I wash my hair. I was wondering if that's normal.

I feel that some oils I use cause less shedding than others, but I could be imagining this, or it could be due to other factors like diet etc.
How can you tell if the mix of oils is just not that beneficial for your scalp or if the shedding is OK? I feel that I shed less if I use only one carrier oil instead of mixes, for example.

By the way, I don't notice anything else negative: no itching, no irritation or redness, oiling my scalp always feels nice and soothing. Only shedding during the massage bothers me.

Thank you! :flower:

swearnsue
June 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM
It may just be that the oil on your fingers "grip" the already shedding hairs. I don't think oil applied will cause shedding at that moment. Are you massaging gently? If you brush your hair first I think you would have less hair coming loose during the massage. I get a few hairs when I oil massage, maybe 10 or 20 if I didn't prebrush.

meteor
June 24th, 2012, 07:52 PM
If you brush your hair first I think you would have less hair coming loose during the massage. I get a few hairs when I oil massage, maybe 10 or 20 if I didn't prebrush.
Yes, Swearnsue, I do get way more shedding if I don't pre-brush. Thank you!
I think someone mentioned that when you switch to a new scalp oil, you get more shedding, I don't know if it's true :rolleyes: I think I noticed this pattern myself.

Do you think the actual oil choice is not a problem (but the method of application is the problem)? I.e. there are no oils that can cause shedding (unless it's an allergic reaction with lots of other symptoms)?

Silverbrumby
June 24th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Yes, Swearnsue, I do get way more shedding if I don't pre-brush. Thank you!
I think someone mentioned that when you switch to a new scalp oil, you get more shedding, I don't know if it's true :rolleyes: I think I noticed this pattern myself.

Do you think the actual oil choice is not a problem (but the method of application is the problem)? I.e. there are no oils that can cause shedding (unless it's an allergic reaction with lots of other symptoms)?

I shed more if I oil my scalp or over oil the hair. As an experiment why not try not oiling for a week or two. Keep a hair shed count and see if it makes a difference. My scalp loves to be clean and oil free.

Jing
June 25th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Putting oil on my scalp makes me shed more whether I massage it in or not. I also shed more when I wash my hair afterwards, at least 1/3 more than usual. It's frustrating. I don't shed as much when applying the oil as I do when I wash my hair, though. At this point I have concluded that scalp oiling simply isn't for me.

starry
June 25th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I don't know if this is the right advice (in terms of what you are going through) but it might help. i read on here- in one of the articles about massaging, and you're not supposed to disturb the roots much at all during the massage. it was described more as manipulating the skin- so you plant your fingers on, dont move them and then move the skin as a whole, not fluffing around the follicles.

Maybe this will help a little? :0)

meteor
June 25th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Thank you, guys! My problem is that I never count shed hair (I'm not that precise about my hair). Come to think of it my hair shed is probably the same in total, it's just that I lose fewer strands as I comb these days, but oil massage makes weaker hair go away in one clump. I will continue with the oil massage, because the benefits of healthier scalp and faster growth are too visible for me to ignore.

you're not supposed to disturb the roots much at all during the massage. it was described more as manipulating the skin- so you plant your fingers on, dont move them and then move the skin as a whole, not fluffing around the follicles.
Yes, that's a great approach. It feels like moving whole scalp rather than roots.