PDA

View Full Version : How rough should you be?

carrieavaught
June 24th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I am not tender headed, so when I brush my hair I'm fairly rough. I was just wondering how gentle should I be?

caadam
June 24th, 2012, 11:37 AM
That's going to depend on the strength of your hair and what you mean by "rough." lol However, in a more general sense, it's ALWAYS a wise decision to treat any hair like fine old lace, as Heidi W. tends to suggest. :)

How are you brushing exactly? Do you start from the top down or from the bottom up? Starting from the bottom up is going to be less damaging and will help you get through tangles easier. Sometimes, if not all the time, starting from the top up only makes tangles worse and piles them on top of each other as you brush down. Don't ever pull through tangles; you'll just cause damage.

It's also important to judge if you are able to only brush your hair when it's dry, or if you can safely brush it when it's damp. I suggest trying not to brush hair when it's soaking wet, because that is when hair is at its weakest. Some people feel better allowing their hair to completely dry before brushing at all, or combing.

Speaking of combing, it might be a good idea to invest in one. A comb will cause less damage than a brush, and it will help to enforce better hair care habits. A wide-toothed comb is a good choice. You can find many different kinds (plastic, silicone, resin, horn, wood, etc), so you'll have to judge which one is going to work best for you.

Hope that helps. :D

DarkCurls
June 24th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Ouch!

Brushing works different for different people, I suppose. What kind of brush are you using? (I'm thinking of the evil round-tipped plastic brushes which used to pull out so much of my hair...)
I, personally, used to be very rough with my hair because I didn't have much patience for it. Then I became more gentle, and eventually I gave up brushes alltogether for wide-toothed combs. Now I finger-comb, because I find nothing is more gentle than that for my hair.
If you're hearing "snap" (hair breaking off!) too often, then you're being too rough.

As a general rule, though, you should be as gentle as possible. Start detangling the ends, then work your way up slowly, and don't furiously brush at huge knotted tangles until they break off.

pepperminttea
June 24th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Be as gentle as you can if you want to avoid breakage. Take your time over it, don't just rip through the tangles. You might find this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8) an interesting read. :)

Darkessa
June 24th, 2012, 11:48 AM
My best advice would be to be as gentle as possible.
The kinder you are to your hair, the healthier it will be.

Its best to start at the ends and work your way up. That way you dont hit super snags that cause bad breakage.
Also, consider getting a Comb or Brush that doesnt have any seams. That way your hair cant get caught in said seams and get ripped out.
I recommend a wide toothed comb, a Tangle Teezer, and a 100% Boar Bristle Brush.

The Comb is great for SUPER tangles or while your hair is damp. (And try not to comb or brush while wet, your hair is at its most vulnerable while wet.)
The Tangle Teezer is nice and gentle, and I believe it is one of the 2 seamless Brushes on the market.
The BBB is great for just once or twice a day to help get your natural oils from your scalp, down to the ends.

Hope this helps! :D
And Welcome to LHC ;)

HintOfMint
June 24th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Not rough at all.

Use a comb to gently get the tangles out, working from the bottom up. When you hit a bad snarl, stop and undo it with your fingers.

Then you can use a brush to smooth out your hair and give a scalp massage. Actually most of my brushing doesn't even get to the ends, I just use it to brush my scalp.

Rough brushing to rip through tangles is one of the fastest ways to visibly damage hair. Instant frayed ends!

carrieavaught
June 24th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I use a vented brush. I also have a pick for my daughters hair cause there is no way I'm putting a brush through her hair. I may just use her pick then. And then look for a wide toothed comb when I get out.

jacqueline101
June 24th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Treat your hair like fine old lace.

Covet
June 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I think you should be gentle, why not? I separate my hair into maybe 20 small sections and detangle each one with a Tangle Teezer (I really, really recommend this for tangly hair) bit by bit, starting from the tips of the hair travelling up to the root. Definitely take your time and it's important to start brushing from the ends of the hair as opposed to the roots because otherwise you'd just be pushing the knot even further down the hair and making it worse as they'll accumulate as you push the brush downwards.

Madora
June 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
You should always be gentle when brushing your hair, and start from the roots down to the ends. Always, always, always, detangle BEFORE you brush.

If you brush roughly, you hair will suffer!

Here is my article on brushing gently (based on 40 years + experience):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=229

Wildcat Diva
June 24th, 2012, 01:32 PM
why not try a tangle teaser rather than a regular comb or a brush? They are about $10 on Amazon, and a lot of people here seem to like them.

I am trying to finger comb more, and I am finding myself brushing and combing less.

Dragon Faery
June 24th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I use a vented brush. I also have a pick for my daughters hair cause there is no way I'm putting a brush through her hair. I may just use her pick then. And then look for a wide toothed comb when I get out.

Welcome to LHC! :)

The bit about your daughter caught my eye. Is she very frizzy, poofy, or wavy? If so, she may be a curly and need vastly different hair care than what is currently considered "normal". Check out some of the threads on curly hair care if you suspect she is. :)

CurlyCurves
June 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I think you should be gentle, why not? I separate my hair into maybe 20 small sections and detangle each one with a Tangle Teezer (I really, really recommend this for tangly hair) bit by bit, starting from the tips of the hair travelling up to the root. Definitely take your time and it's important to start brushing from the ends of the hair as opposed to the roots because otherwise you'd just be pushing the knot even further down the hair and making it worse as they'll accumulate as you push the brush downwards.

This is totally OT, but your hair is GORGEOUS.

It looks 3b to me. May I ask why you think it's 2c/3a?

lapushka
June 24th, 2012, 03:23 PM
This is totally OT, but your hair is GORGEOUS.

It looks 3b to me. May I ask why you think it's 2c/3a?

A little OT maybe, but I tend to agree with CurlyCurves.

carrieavaught
June 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Welcome to LHC! :)

The bit about your daughter caught my eye. Is she very frizzy, poofy, or wavy? If so, she may be a curly and need vastly different hair care than what is currently considered "normal". Check out some of the threads on curly hair care if you suspect she is. :)
She is so curly and thick, its frizzy. When she was young toddler it was Shirley Temple curls, but it got thick!

Zindell
June 25th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I am not tender headed, so when I brush my hair I'm fairly rough. I was just wondering how gentle should I be?

I don't even use a brush anymore. I very, very gently comb my hair with a wide-tooth comb with no seams. Take care of your hair! :)

http://www.thebodyshop.se/MediaBinaryLoader.axd?MediaArchive_FileID=090e0a01-8ccd-4587-a71a-f77d9138cb3d&MediaArchive_Max_ImageWidth=250