PDA

View Full Version : In need of some haircut advice!

Ravenwind
June 24th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I'm currently growing out an a-line haircut, and as it has been growing, it has turned into something like a mullet :( The top layers are just shorter than jaw length and the longest layer is past my shoulders. Also, the layers in the back are shorter than the front, as an a-line cut usually is. I had the bottom cut straight across though back in march, because I didn't like the angle anymore.

When I got the haircut, I have no idea what she did, but she did not even up the layers at all. So they have grown out really weird.

I'm glad it has grown out as fast as it has, but I'm really not fond with how the shorter layers form around my head like a helmet and the longer ones just stick straight out.

I'm kind of thinking about cutting it back again, to above shoulder length, so I can get rid of a majority of the layers and have it evened out, and not so mullet-y. But I'm also thinking I should leave it alone and let it grow and then cut it once it gets to a certain length (to get rid of all the layers).

Any advice for this? :(
I'd post pictures if I could so you guys can see what I'm talking about, but the uploader still isn't working and I'm not sure how to post them on the thread.

Thanks!

swearnsue
June 24th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Maybe trim it yourself, just 1/4 inch a month while it grows out?

Ravenwind
June 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Maybe trim it yourself, just 1/4 inch a month while it grows out?

Do you mean trim the bottom while the layers grow?

lapushka
June 24th, 2012, 11:24 AM

I think that's what she means, and I was going to suggest something similar. Gradually have it trimmed at the bottom so the rest can catch up.

kaydana
June 24th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I'd leave it alone and let it grow. Layers tends to blend into the hair better as they get longer, so you'll probably stop noticing them as much as it grows.

If you know a hairdresser you trust, you could get the layers evened out so they're not noticeably shorter at the back than at the front and work better with your hair length. You'll lose that hair eventually anyway when you get rid of the layers in the back, and the new style might help you enjoy your hair more at the length it is, rather than just viewing it as a growing out stage.

Sama
June 24th, 2012, 11:39 AM
When I was growing out my layered cut, I took a couple of inches at a time when I was ready to lose the length and when my ends were looking really terrible. That way, it wasn't a shock to me because I wasn't upset to let go of scraggly ends. As Swearnsue said, this can be done yourself at home.

Also, I think a few cuts over time could be used to disguise the uneven appearance while giving your hair a chance to grow out. A lot of times, it seems that visiting salons is discouraged on the boards because so many here have had negative - and sometimes heartbreaking and traumatizing - experiences, but in your case, I think a hairdresser might really be able to help you. He or she might be able to "tame" the leftover layers just a bit so that they will grow nicely with the rest of your hair until you trim away all the layers over time. You would want to be very clear and cautious explaining what you want during a consultation, however, since the goal is to get rid of the layers, not maintain them.

Best of luck to you in your long-hair goals! Keep us posted on your progress. :)

BrightEyes
June 24th, 2012, 11:47 AM

I'm also growing out an a-line cut and am doing something similar. Only I am having my hairdresser trim my layers every other time. So I have 1/4 inch trimmed off the bottom at every appointment (which is every 3 months). I have her trim 1/4 inch off the layers every other appointment, so every 6 months. That way I am still gaining length and my layers are also slowly catching up:)

bumblebums
June 24th, 2012, 11:50 AM
You might find this interesting: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html

At 27 inches, your hair is definitely long enough to try Feye's self trim method (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/). I would use that to maintain an even hemline until your layers catch up, and then continue growing.

Ravenwind
June 24th, 2012, 11:53 AM
You might find this interesting: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html

At 27 inches, your hair is definitely long enough to try Feye's self trim method (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/). I would use that to maintain an even hemline until your layers catch up, and then continue growing.

I'll have to update that, my hair isn't 27 inches anymore lol. But I have used that method before and loved it :)

Ravenwind
June 24th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses :) I do usually trim my hair myself but as for evening it out I have my sister do that for me (she's a hairstylist). Trimming the bottom while the layers grow is a good idea, but I don't want to maintain this length while they grow. I think I might be better off leaving it alone and let it do it's own thing, like kaydana mentioned :)

white.chocolate
June 24th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses :) I do usually trim my hair myself but as for evening it out I have my sister do that for me (she's a hairstylist). Trimming the bottom while the layers grow is a good idea, but I don't want to maintain this length while they grow. I think I might be better off leaving it alone and let it do it's own thing, like kaydana mentioned :)

I was also going to say that I thought it better if you waited a little longer for your hair to grow and get past this stage. I was there, too, and it was irritating. It was patience all the way. However, if you are really uncomfortable with how your hair looks and fells, why not get a cut and minimize the layers?

I have another idea. You could try cutting your hair using the ponytail method if you don't mind having the result after cutting. I remember this thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=94273&referrerid=44324

jacqueline101
June 24th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I agree let it grow and do micro trims to let the layers catch up.