PDA

View Full Version : First Time...

MestizoGypsy
June 23rd, 2012, 10:03 PM
That my hair is all slathered in pure coconut oil (as so many of you recommended!) I'm so excited to see how it comes out after I wash it in the morning!!

Funny story, the first time I tried to use coconut oil on my hair 2 years ago, I bought the 'Blue Magic' stuff that has coconut oil mixed with petroleum jelly. So I didn't notice that and covered my head with it, and in the morning it would not wash out. I had to wash it 5 times with dish soap to be able to get a comb through it, it was terrible!!!! So I hope doing it right yields better results!!

Wildcat Diva
June 23rd, 2012, 10:28 PM
You can shampoo it in the morning if you want, because according to findings reported on Ktani's blog, shampooing or heat allows coconut oils to penetrate the hair shaft more effectively. However, if you don't think that gets it all out , (and I would be surprised if that did get it all out), try the conditioner method for removing oil for heaven's sake. Look in the articles section. Don't use dish soap!

HintOfMint
June 23rd, 2012, 10:32 PM
I second Wildcat Diva's post.

Conditioner (particularly a cheap, runny conditioner like V05) is surprisingly effective at getting oil out of hair. Almost leaves it TOO clean.

MestizoGypsy
June 23rd, 2012, 10:34 PM
You can shampoo it in the morning if you want, because according to findings reported on Ktani's blog, shampooing or heat allows coconut oils to penetrate the hair shaft more effectively. However, if you don't think that gets it all out , (and I would be surprised if that did get it all out), try the conditioner method for removing oil for heaven's sake. Look in the articles section. Don't use dish soap!
Oh no, never again!! The dish soap was for when I used the wrong stuff in my hair- the coconut oil petroleum jelly mix- and it refused to come out with shampoo, conditioner, or any combination of the two. Thankfully at the time (this was about 2 years ago) I remembered that Dawn is what's used to get petroleum off of animals in oil spills... and that was the only thing that took the petroleum jelly out of my hair!! Needless to say, I learned my lesson. There was a good 20 minutes of panic where I was afraid I was gonna have to cut all of my hair off, it was terrible!!! Thank goodness I didn't ruin my hair completely back then!!

Dragon Faery
June 24th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Awesome! I hope the right stuff works out great! :)
I used that same Blue Magic stuff once, and I also had to use dish soap to get it out. Pure coconut oil is Soooo much easier and nicer! :cheese:
Happy growing!

ariesfairies
June 24th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I doubt you'll be disappointed :D
I recommended it to my friend last week. Shes a pixie length girl but she promptly commented
"I can't remember my hair being this soft!".
Still yet to try it on me but I hate getting oil everywhere as per my EVOO experiences x_x

einna
June 24th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Good luck :) I love my coconut oil! Both for heavy oilings, and light ones.

MonaMayfair
June 24th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Hope you're pleased with the results. It didn't do a thing for me, but lots of people have great success with coconut oil.
Personally, I'm really impressed with what catnip has done for my hair...

CurlySasha
June 24th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Aww, I had pretty much the same experience! I bought a mineral oil-coconut mix (mostly mineral oil) and I didn't realize, so I fully coated my hair. It WOULD NOT wash out! It was horrible, and my hair looked wet for a week even though I washed every day :(
Fear not, I have now tried coconut oil and I love it!!! Good luck :D

SongofLove
June 24th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Cool! I just tried coconut oil too. I love it! My hair is usually so tangle prone and it has remained soft and pretty much tangle-free since I applied the oil. So, I'm not even going to wash until my usual weekly wash.

Still yet to try it on me but I hate getting oil everywhere as per my EVOO experiences x_x

I don't know...I put a lot of coconut oil in my hair a few days ago and it's not getting all over the place. It seems so much light than olive oil.

mallorykay13
June 24th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I use coconut oil for everything, but mainly my hair. DBF even notices when I've oiled or not.