PDA

View Full Version : A question

carrieavaught
June 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
I put my hair in a low pony tail when I sleep so it won't wrap around my neck. Is that healthy for my hair?

SoulOfTheSea
June 23rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
Well I used to do this when my hair was shorter than BSL. How long is your hair?

blondebazinga
June 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
You may want to switch up the position of the ponytail every night as the continued stress on one isolated area won't be good- especially since it is at the nape of the neck the breakage would be rather prominent.

MeowScat
June 23rd, 2012, 09:50 PM
^^^ I agree, move your scrunchie around if you don't want to bun or braid it for sleep. I did that for years and couldn't understand why I had breakage around my nape area.

Also, sometimes I toss and turn so that lead to major tangles when I woke up. Now I just fold my hair into a sleepcap and I'm almost tangle-free in the morning. Consider getting one, they're pretty cheap on eBay.

A bun on top of your head is good also, but sometimes little tangles occur on the back of your head from moving around on the pillow. Do you have a satin pillowcase? They're great!

carrieavaught
June 23rd, 2012, 11:01 PM
Well I used to do this when my hair was shorter than BSL. How long is your hair?
When its wet almost to my waist, when its dry its right at my bra line.

carrieavaught
June 23rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
^^^ I agree, move your scrunchie around if you don't want to bun or braid it for sleep.
I prefer braiding, but can't do it myself. My husband can. I may just wait to go to bed til he gets home from work :) Thank you

MeowScat
June 24th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Oh good, I'm not the only one who can't braid my own hair. I have DH braid mine for me as well. I showed him how to do it with three strands of string. My silly tutorial actually worked!

woolyleprechaun
June 24th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Braids or a sleep cap would be your best bet. You dont want breakage where you wear the hairband!

Madora
June 24th, 2012, 07:37 AM
A sleep cap is the way to go if you can't braid your hair. Ponytails aren't hair friendly.

blaketob
June 24th, 2012, 08:06 AM
yes I agree with all the above statements. Try to braid it if anything or buy a thick scrunchie to prevent breakage.

carrieavaught
June 24th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Oh good, I'm not the only one who can't braid my own hair. I have DH braid mine for me as well. I showed him how to do it with three strands of string. My silly tutorial actually worked!
My husband is the youngest and only son ha ha. He has two older sister. So he came to me knowing how to braid, die, and paint fingernails lol!

jojo
June 24th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I prefer a braid to sleep in but I dont tie it with anything, i just seal the ends with a bit of oil! stays in too!

jacqueline101
June 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
A hair bun or braid is the best. I agree you need a sleep cap. I'm going to invest in one and try again.