PDA

View Full Version : Soy milk slows hair growth

sunshine80
June 23rd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone;) I haven't posted much lately but I still visit and it's great seeing everyone on their hair growth journey! So it's been two years since I got what I call a "chemical shave" (my sister was a new hair stylist and ended up really hurting my hair bad! It all just came off in clumps!) anyway I love her she is my sis!

Moving on....so like everyone else...I do what I think is best for my hair to make it grow long and healthy! I would say about 3 months ago I started drinking soy milk. I have a shake and/or a cup of coffee a day...the other day I measured and noticed that I am a half of an inch shorter than what my hair usually grows! * every Halloween I dye just a small piece of my hair right at my scalp just to keep track of my hair growth* I haven't been stressed I haven't changed anything else besides the soy milk.

This is what I read
Soymilk reduces hair growth and hair follicle dimensions
M. Seiberg, J.-C. Liu, L. Babiarz, E. Sharlow and S. Shapiro

Abstract: We have recently shown that soybean-derived serine protease inhibitors and soybean extracts alter skin pigmentation, suggesting that soymilk could be used as a natural alternative to skin lightening. The present studies were initiated to examine the possible effect of STI, BBI and soymilk on hair pigmentation. Interestingly, these agents were found to affect not only hair pigmentation, but also the rate of hair growth, the dimensions of the hair follicle and hair shaft, and the appearance of the hair. The studies presented here provide first evidence, at the morphological and histological level, that soymilk and the soybean-derived serine protease inhibitors could be used as effective agents for hair care and management. These agents could reduce the rate of hair growth, decrease hair shaft dimensions and alter the pattern of melanogenic gene expression. Soy milk article

Happy growing everyone...

Honestwitness
June 23rd, 2012, 08:58 PM
Wow! I am so going to cut back on the soy products in my diet! I've been eating/drinking soy products for many years, but I cut back drastically a few years ago when soy milk gave me kidney stones. I still use soy "meats" on a regular basis, but it looks like it's time to go back to real meat. Thanks for sharing this information.

PixxieStix
June 23rd, 2012, 09:12 PM
O_O Wow, I just started drinking soy milk on a regular basis about a year ago, and while I've had a fairly average years worth of growth, I couldn't help but feel that my hair used to grow a little faster than it has since joining LHC, thank you for sharing! Might switch to almond milk.... hmmm...

long&blonde
June 23rd, 2012, 09:44 PM
Thank you from a tofu lover!

MsBubbles
June 23rd, 2012, 09:50 PM
I gave up all soy products (yes, even most chocolates) some time ago once I found out it was terrible for people with thyroid issues. I have noticed an increase in length gains each month since then but wasn't sure if it was directly related to giving up soy, or to my increased protein intake (I went from growing half an inch per month, to 1 inch per month). Either way, soy is gone from my diet. This also excludes a whole host of processed foods, which has been great for my overall health and weight.

Good thing is, in the USA, soy is classed as one of those life-threatening allergens for some unfortunate people. So the manufacturers have to mark it on the packaging if they have used any soy products or derivatives, or even if they process that particular food on machinery that also handles soy products. That makes it easier to spot when choosing what to buy. Many corn and potato chips are made with soybean oil. And check your spray 'vegetable' oil too.

I have noticed chocolate manufacturers are now using sunflower lecithin instead of soy lecithin, since the word is out that soy might not be the wonderfood it was cracked up to be.

Bene
June 23rd, 2012, 09:56 PM
I drink a buttload of soy milk every single day. For the last 3 years. Still getting my half inch a month.

Raiscake
June 23rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
That's odd. I eat a lot of soy and I still have good hair growth.

firegypsy
June 23rd, 2012, 10:06 PM
I think people with thyroid issues are going to be more susceptible to this. It won't affect everyone, but anyone with a lower functioning thyroid should beware.

blondebazinga
June 23rd, 2012, 10:13 PM
Oh no! With my milk allergies I almost live on soy! Maybe growth would be faster without it? Oh feel :blossom:

blondebazinga
June 23rd, 2012, 10:13 PM
oh well* does anyone know how many posts you need to edit?

ladonna
June 23rd, 2012, 10:15 PM
I have no energy when I run out of soymilk. Is that wierd? I haven't noticed any effect on my hair.

Allychan
June 23rd, 2012, 10:22 PM
I'm wondering if it was topically applied, as in a shampoo or similar or ingested. Skin lightening sounds like they were appying it 'to the skin'. Hmm, I will have to read the whole study, curious mind would like to know??

Allychan
June 23rd, 2012, 10:31 PM
I just found the rest of the research paper and it seems it is being studied for topical applications for hair removal alternatives ie facial hair and leg hair.

Therefore, it is ok to keep drinking your soy milk, but it may pay dividends to spill some on those upper lip hairs and hairy legs!!

Article snippet:
Using the synchronized hair growth mouse model (3, 4) we showed that topical trypsin treatment, immediately after depilation, induced cell death at the follicular papilla. This death signal, which is independent of the proteolytic activity of the protease, resulted in delaying hair growth and pigmentation (26). Here we show that the trypsin inhibitors STI and BBI also lead to delayed hair growth, as well as to reduced follicle dimensions and reduced pigment deposition within the hair shaft. Since we could not detect apoptotic cells in the papillae of soymilk, STI or BBI treated mice (not shown), we suggest that STI and BBI do not affect papillae cell death, but exert their effect on hair growth and size via a different mechanism.

Hirsutism is a relatively frequent condition affecting about 4% of women. Facial hirsutism often interferes with personal and work activities, and temporary hair removal is a major component in the management of hirsute patients. Shaving is the most frequently used temporary method for facial hair, as plucking, waxing and depilatories are more difficult to tolerate and care must be taken to avoid folliculitis, pigmentary changes, and scarring. Cosmetic cover-ups are usually used to hide cuts and stubble (27, 28), and electrolysis and thermolysis are used for permanent hair removal when affordable (29). Daily treatment with soybean-derived protease inhibitors or soymilk products would be painless and of modest cost and could serve to reduce hair growth and visibility in these patients, enhancing their quality of life. Preliminary clinical data (J.-C. Liu, in preparation) indicate that treatment with STI and soymilk-containing formulations significantly reduced womens facial hair growth rate and visibility.

African-type hair is unique in its morphology - a kinky hair shaft with variations in diameter. This complex shaft structure creates the need for specialized grooming products and procedures to ensure that the African-type hair maintains cosmetic desired properties. The addition of STI, BBI or soymilk into hair care products could reduce this complexity and make the African-type hair more manageable, improving its appearance.

Humans keep or remove hair from different body parts for social and cosmetic purposes. Unwanted hair is removed using home treatments or professional services, or is bleached to reduce its visibility. A safe and effective agent that could reduce hair growth, hair size and hair pigmentation would add to the available home treatments, which are not always satisfying. The finding that soymilk and soymilk-derived serine protease inhibitors delay hair growth and reduce hair shaft dimensions and pigmentation provides a new concept in hair growth and management, and could serve as an effective natural way to manage unwanted hair growth. The human studies presented here represent a positive proof-of-concept pilot study, which led us to perform larger double blind studies. Preliminary data of these studies (J.-C. Liu, in preparation) indicate that treatment with soymilk-containing formulations reduced the rate of hair growth of womens legs, affected the direction of hair growth to look more homogeneous, and made the hair softer, finer and less noticeable.

ouseljay
June 23rd, 2012, 11:01 PM
I just found the rest of the research paper and it seems it is being studied for topical applications for hair removal alternatives ie facial hair and leg hair.

Therefore, it is ok to keep drinking your soy milk, but it may pay dividends to spill some on those upper lip hairs and hairy legs!!

I was just coming in here to say this. Someone has posted the complete introduction and discussion sections here http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/5401/site_id/1

Basically, they're suggesting that a couple of compounds in the soymilk act to inhibit some gene expression in melanocytes (that may ultimately reduce skin or hair pigmentation), and that they also inhibit hair growth in some as yet unknown way. It's not an effect you'd see by drinking the soy milk, just don't wash your hair in it.

They seem to have patented the concept http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1074240.html

Bunnysaur
June 23rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
oh well* does anyone know how many posts you need to edit?

25 :)

I wonder if this might impact people who drink soy-protein shakes. Is it just the soy milk that causes this?

Slug Yoga
June 23rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
Everyone can stop worrying. The study was done with topical applications of unprocessed soymilk. It is exactly the substances destroyed by processing that are responsible for the decrease in hair growth. Also, it only had an effect where it was applied on the skin.

So there is no reason to think that eating processed soy products would have any of these effects!

The present studies were initiated to examine the possible effect of STI, BBI and soymilk on hair pigmentation. Interestingly, these agents were found to affect not only hair pigmentation, but also the rate of hair growth, the dimensions of the hair follicle and hair shaft, and the appearance of the hair. Soybeans were not utilized as food until precipitation and fermentation techniques were developed,because they produced serious gastric distress. These are due to the inhibitory activity of STI and BBI, which block the action of trypsin and other proteases needed for protein digestion (18 ). It is the heat inactivation of STI and BBI during soybean processing (reviewed in (19, 20)) that renders the soybean edible. It is important to note that fresh soymilk, but not heat-denatured or pasteurized soymilk, was the active inhibitor in our hair growth studies. Since STI is heat labile, but BBI is less affected by heat (6, 21), it is more likely that STI is the major protein agent in soymilk that affects hair growth, size and pigmentation.

Topical treatments with 17-beta-estradiol inhibited hair growth in mice, while an estrogen receptor antagonist initiated hair growth in this system (22, 23). This treatment was more effective at the site of application than at distant sites, indicating a direct rather than systemic effect. These studies implicate a skin-specific estrogen receptor pathway in the regulation of the hair cycle (23).

So unless you are slathering your scalp on a daily basis with unprocessed soymilk, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

Here's a link to a pdf with the whole study (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1034/j.1600-0625.2001.100603.x/pdf).

natural_shine
June 23rd, 2012, 11:20 PM
You know, I never made the connections but I think it's true what you say about soy milk.

Last year I had a desperate try to become vegan and I tried a lot of stuff, and yes, drank soy milk like it was water. It did grew A LOT slower in that period of time, now I realize why.

Bene
June 23rd, 2012, 11:36 PM
You know, I never made the connections but I think it's true what you say about soy milk.

Last year I had a desperate try to become vegan and I tried a lot of stuff, and yes, drank soy milk like it was water. It did grew A LOT slower in that period of time, now I realize why.

Maybe you were doing the vegan thing in an unhealthy way? Like, not careful with your nutrient intake? Because a few of the posters above you have shown (and big thanks to them for making an effort to prevent a fit of anti-soy hysteria), it's not the soymilk.

woolyleprechaun
June 24th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Thanks to the folk who have highlighted the TOPICAL nature of the aplication in question ;) My soy is primarily poured on my cereal and not my head, so Im content that my hair growth remains uncompromised :)

sunshine80
June 24th, 2012, 06:14 AM
I am a creature of habit. I am healthy I take my vitamins ect... I didn't want to make anyone scared of drinking soy. I just wanted to share my experience. I see what I grow from my roots and it had been consistent for a 2 years. Now being short of my normal growth and the only thing I changed is drinking a lot of soy maybe 2 cups a day why...now reading what everyone posted about what it does topically then what is it doing internally???

I don't know how to get the link on here I am posting from
An IPhone but this is something else on the internet..

Another food product that is beneficial to stunting hair growth is soy products. Soy contains phytoestrogens, which are the plant-equivalent of estrogen. Estrogen, or estrogen-like hormones, does the opposite of testosterone, even going so far as to counteract it. Testosterone grows hair, amongst other things; therefore, estrogen slows it. You can ingest soy products in many forms: tofu, soy milk, soy nut butter or edamame.

I just wonder....

Allychan
June 24th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I am a creature of habit. I am healthy I take my vitamins ect... I didn't want to make anyone scared of drinking soy. I just wanted to share my experience. I see what I grow from my roots and it had been consistent for a 2 years. Now being short of my normal growth and the only thing I changed is drinking a lot of soy maybe 2 cups a day why...now reading what everyone posted about what it does topically then what is it doing internally???

I don't know how to get the link on here I am posting from
An IPhone but this is something else on the internet..

Another food product that is beneficial to stunting hair growth is soy products. Soy contains phytoestrogens, which are the plant-equivalent of estrogen. Estrogen, or estrogen-like hormones, does the opposite of testosterone, even going so far as to counteract it. Testosterone grows hair, amongst other things; therefore, estrogen slows it. You can ingest soy products in many forms: tofu, soy milk, soy nut butter or edamame.

I just wonder....

I see your concern, and when we see changes it is always a process of elimination to find out why and where they came from. I stopped drinking soy because so much of it is genetically modified so I understand your concern.

I am pretty sure testosterone grows body hair and estrogen grows head hair (large amts are in our bodies during pregnancy which is why many women have phenomenal hair growth during pregnancy).

But, the estrogen in soy is slightly different to the one in our bodies so I think it may disrupt natural estrogen. I can't remember the full details it was in a study I read about it being linked to breast cancer because of the high estrogen and the way our bodies react to that form of estrogen. So yes in that sense it 'could be' a catalyst in your hair dilema

Mesmerise
June 24th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I have read a lot of other negative effects of soy consumption, so I've stopped drinking it at all. BUT I do wonder whether topically applying would help fade my freckles??!!

sunshine80
June 24th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I just want to add one more thing. My don't really share my hair obsession with my husband lol but he asked me why I am up 7 in the morning staring at my phone! So I told him I was researching soy milk. He know that I eat healthy and I am gentle with my hair. He said that lately his shaving routine has changed...and trust me... We are talking about a guy here that would be like "your nuts" if he didn't see a change.

Arya
June 24th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Just wanted to point out, that in cultures where soy is traditionally eaten, it is at much lower levels than one might think. A few pieces of tofu, or some edamame beans, not 2 cups of soy milk, and two servings soy meat replacement twice a day. When I lived in Japan, I'd have soy products an average of twice a week, where my vegetarian friends in Canada treat it like a staple food.

LaFlor
June 24th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks for clearing up that it is TOPICAL.

I have been drinking soy milk for years now and my hair seems to grow pretty fast.

spidermom
June 24th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Good to know. I used to like tofu, but I discovered soy makes me lightheaded and stupid. So I don't use it anymore.

mckellyn
June 24th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Whew! Glad to hear this only applies to topical applications. I drink soy milk every day in my coffee, and hot chocolate at night. I like the taste and didn't want to sacrifice it... glad to know I don't have to!

swearnsue
June 24th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Good to know. I used to like tofu, but I discovered soy makes me lightheaded and stupid. So I don't use it anymore.

LOL. Maybe that tofu was made of hemp milk!

firegypsy
June 24th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Just wanted to point out, that in cultures where soy is traditionally eaten, it is at much lower levels than one might think. A few pieces of tofu, or some edamame beans, not 2 cups of soy milk, and two servings soy meat replacement twice a day. When I lived in Japan, I'd have soy products an average of twice a week, where my vegetarian friends in Canada treat it like a staple food.

It also isn't generally GMO.

faellen
June 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Thank god I don't like the taste of soy milk. Lol

edit: Oh, topical? Never mind then ;)

MsBubbles
June 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Maybe you were doing the vegan thing in an unhealthy way? Like, not careful with your nutrient intake? Because a few of the posters above you have shown (and big thanks to them for making an effort to prevent a fit of anti-soy hysteria), it's not the soymilk.

That's fine, with me and my body I'm quite alright with my own soy-hysteria thank you very much. Soy is NOT good for me.

firegypsy
June 24th, 2012, 12:27 PM
That's fine, with me and my body I'm quite alright with my own soy-hysteria thank you very much. Soy is NOT good for me.

yeah. I'm with you. I was a soy free vegan for years. I am pretty anti-soy given how processed and modified most all of it is.

kitcatsmeow
June 24th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Like a lot of others I eat a decent amount of organic soy since I am vegan and still get my nearly inch per month of growth. I think maybe soy combined with other unhealthy foods (processed, lots of red meat, cooked foods, etc.) then there might be an issue.

I love how single natural foods or food groups get singled out as a culprit when it's not the "soy bean" thats to blame but rather the oodles of preservatives, additives, chemical alteration that turns a perfectly healthy food into something mutant and inedible. Good grief!

dwell_in_safety
June 24th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I drink soy milk all the time. Haven't noticed it stunting my growth, really, so I'm glad to see it's topical application that is detrimental, not ingestion.

firegypsy
June 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Like a lot of others I eat a decent amount of organic soy since I am vegan and still get my nearly inch per month of growth. I think maybe soy combined with other unhealthy foods (processed, lots of red meat, cooked foods, etc.) then there might be an issue.

I love how single natural foods or food groups get singled out as a culprit when it's not the "soy bean" thats to blame but rather the oodles of preservatives, additives, chemical alteration that turns a perfectly healthy food into something mutant and inedible. Good grief!

Nope. I think it's important to understand for ANY diet that what is good for you isn't necessarily good for everyone period. There is ample evidence that tells us soy is bad for those with thyroid issues. It has NOTHING to do with refined foods.

Eat what makes you feel healthy and supports your biological processes. If soy does that for you, that's great. If it doesn't for someone else it doesn't mean your diet is superior, or that theirs is full of processed junk. It only means that food works for you. :)

TessieAnn
June 24th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I haven't read the study but would like to point this out.

If the study was only of topical application that doesn't rule out any potential effects from internal consumption--unless there was a specific experimental comparison.

Slug Yoga
June 24th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I haven't read the study but would like to point this out.

If the study was only of topical application that doesn't rule out any potential effects from internal consumption--unless there was a specific experimental comparison.

Yes, but the fact that what they believe to be the active ingredients causing slower hair growth are exactly the ones that are destroyed when you process soy for consumption makes me think that there would not in fact be an internal effect.

ouseljay
June 24th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Actually, in this case it's compounds that are found in active form only in unprocessed (unpasteurized and unfermented) soy milk that cause the changes in hair growth when applied topically. It has nothing to do with additives. You wouldn't want to drink this kind of soy milk anyway, it would make you sick exactly because it's unprocessed. The stuff you buy at the store, no matter how organic and additive-free, would not work since it has been heated to destroy the compounds that will make you sick, which also destroys the ones that inhibit hair growth (because they're probably the same).

ETA:

Yes, but the fact that what they believe to be the active ingredients causing slower hair growth are exactly the ones that are destroyed when you process soy for consumption makes me think that there would not in fact be an internal effect.
Exactly. In addition, these compounds are things that inhibit hair growth only by direct contact at a cellular level. They are unlikely to be transported in great quantity outside the digestive system, so they wouldn't reach your hair follicles even if you were to drink completely unprocessed soy milk.

kitcatsmeow
June 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Nope. I think it's important to understand for ANY diet that what is good for you isn't necessarily good for everyone period. There is ample evidence that tells us soy is bad for those with thyroid issues. It has NOTHING to do with refined foods.

Eat what makes you feel healthy and supports your biological processes. If soy does that for you, that's great. If it doesn't for someone else it doesn't mean your diet is superior, or that theirs is full of processed junk. It only means that food works for you. :)

I wasn't pointing out soy SPECIFICALLY just using it as an example and yes any chemicals ingested that aren't natural are going to have a negative impact on your health no matter who you are and what your diet is like.

That being said yes I believe you are correct...eat what makes you feel good and works with your particular diet. I am not saying one diet is superior than another but it is a fact that processed and chemical laden foods are not healthy for humans.

kitcatsmeow
June 24th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Actually, in this case it's compounds that are found in active form only in unprocessed (unpasteurized and unfermented) soy milk that cause the changes in hair growth when applied topically. It has nothing to do with additives. You wouldn't want to drink this kind of soy milk anyway, it would make you sick exactly because it's unprocessed. The stuff you buy at the store, no matter how organic and additive-free, would not work since it has been heated to destroy the compounds that will make you sick, which also destroys the similar ones that inhibit hair growth.

Very interesting! I didn't know that. So....what your saying is that humans cannot consume fresh, raw soybeans?

Oh never mind I just found my answer!

"For human consumption, soybeans must be cooked with "wet" heat to destroy the trypsin inhibitors (serine protease inhibitors). Raw soybeans, including the immature green form, are toxic to humans, swine, chickens, and in fact, all monogastric animals."

I think I just gave up soy. Anything that is toxic to humans until cooked/altered creeps me out :-/

ouseljay
June 24th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Very interesting! I didn't know that. So....what your saying is that humans cannot consume fresh, raw soybeans?

Oh never mind I just found my answer!

"For human consumption, soybeans must be cooked with "wet" heat to destroy the trypsin inhibitors (serine protease inhibitors). Raw soybeans, including the immature green form, are toxic to humans, swine, chickens, and in fact, all monogastric animals."

I think I just gave up soy. Anything that is toxic to humans until cooked/altered creeps me out :-/

Pretty much.

If you're giving up anything that's toxic until it's cooked, you'll also have to give up kidney beans, and probably fava and lima beans too. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2385/ (Not the best source, but it gets the point across. ;) )

People have been eating soy safely for a couple thousand years, I wouldn't worry about it. You're not likely to come across soy products that haven't been at least parboiled or fermented.

Darian Moone
June 24th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I drank a soy protein smoothie every morning for breakfast for about 7 years. I felt no ill effects, my hair grew like crazy (healthy too), and my lipids were all great.

I switched soy for whey protein after hearing all kinds of negatives about unfermented soy. My hair still grows at relatively the same rate (perhaps slightly slower, but I chalk that up to now being over 50).

Soy is a tricky thing though. Not everyone reacts well to it, the phytoestrogens, potential negative effect on the thyroid, etc.

For some it will be great, for some it will make no difference, and for others it will be the devil. I think it's important to listen to what your body says about these things. And if you do eat any soy, make sure it's non-GMO!

kitcatsmeow
June 24th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Pretty much.

If you're giving up anything that's toxic until it's cooked, you'll also have to give up kidney beans, and probably fava and lima beans too. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2385/ (Not the best source, but it gets the point across. ;) )

People have been eating soy safely for a couple thousand years, I wouldn't worry about it. You're not likely to come across soy products that haven't been at least parboiled or fermented.

Yeah I gave up beans a long time ago including soy other than my soy milk creamer and just recently added it back although I'm thinking that's out the window now.

I'm thinking lentils would be a much better swap!

SurferB
June 24th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Luckily, there are plenty of soy-milk alternatives that won't affect your hair growth. I recommend almond milk or coconut milk.

-The Nutritionist

newbeginning
June 24th, 2012, 02:37 PM
My hair still grows fine and I drink soy milk. I don't think the study (or whoever reported about the study) took into account that people vary a lot so their results aren't necessarily the case for everyone.

ratgirldjh
June 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM
About 3 years ago I was in the midst of peri-menopause. I had erratic periods and either very light bleeding or very heavy. Then I got a period that went on for almost 2 weeks my usual ones lasted 3 - 5 days so I knew something was up.

A friend of mine who had already been through this recommended that I take one of the women's supplements meant for women going through menopause. I went and looked at them and all the ones I saw has soy as the main ingredient.

So I just went and bought a carton of soy milk and drank an 8 ounce glass.

MY PERIOD STOPPED IN LESS THAN AN HOUR and I never had it again!!!

This was enough to convince me to NEVER eat soy again. It is some powerful stuff!!!

Scary!

eta: on the plus side my periods just stopped and I never had hot flashes or any of the other things one hears of. however I asked my mom and she reported not having had any of these symptoms either her periods just got further and further apart and then just stopped. (my mom would never in her life eat soy on purpose but she does eat junk food so who knows?)

jojo
June 24th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I used to drink soya milk all the time, i wasnt really aware of how fast my hair grew as i wasnt as obsessed with my hair back then. I can no longer use soya products due to having thyroid problems, but im shocked that it can have an affect on growth, whoda guessed??!!

CurlyCurves
June 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Wow! I am so going to cut back on the soy products in my diet! I've been eating/drinking soy products for many years, but I cut back drastically a few years ago when soy milk gave me kidney stones. I still use soy "meats" on a regular basis, but it looks like it's time to go back to real meat. Thanks for sharing this information.

You don't need to go back to real meat, there are plenty of non-soy meat replacements.

CurlyCurves
June 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM
How much soy is this article referring to?

Bene
June 24th, 2012, 09:43 PM
How much soy is this article referring to?

Doesn't say, but it's got to be enough to wash your scalp with, apparently :D

CurlyCurves
June 24th, 2012, 09:46 PM
African-type hair is unique in its morphology - a kinky hair shaft with variations in diameter. This complex shaft structure creates the need for specialized grooming products and procedures to ensure that the African-type hair maintains cosmetic desired properties. The addition of STI, BBI or soymilk into hair care products could reduce this complexity and make the African-type hair more manageable, improving its appearance.

This isn't a bash on you, or anything, but what the hell is wrong with the person who wrote this article?! Are they living in the 15th century, or something? They sound extremely ignorant and offensive.

I'm sorry hun, I was just shocked to read that. I don't even have this mysterious 'African-type hair' that this person talks of, and it was offensive to me.

CurlyCurves
June 24th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Everyone can stop worrying. The study was done with topical applications of unprocessed soymilk. It is exactly the substances destroyed by processing that are responsible for the decrease in hair growth. Also, it only had an effect where it was applied on the skin.

So there is no reason to think that eating processed soy products would have any of these effects!

So unless you are slathering your scalp on a daily basis with unprocessed soymilk, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

Here's a link to a pdf with the whole study (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1034/j.1600-0625.2001.100603.x/pdf).

Thank you for this! I wasn't gonna stop my soy consumption anyway (I love me some soy - I do consume dairy, but prefer to consume alternatives instead due to ethical reasons), but this just seals the deal for me.

Allychan
June 24th, 2012, 09:55 PM
This isn't a bash on you, or anything, but what the hell is wrong with the person who wrote this article?! Are they living in the 15th century, or something? They sound extremely ignorant and offensive.

I'm sorry hun, I was just shocked to read that. I don't even have this mysterious 'African-type hair' that this person talks off, and it was offensive to me.

No offense taken, thankfully they stopped shooting the messenger long ago:o

CurlyCurves
June 24th, 2012, 09:58 PM
No offense taken, thankfully they stopped shooting the messenger long ago:o

:o:o

Booo, message too short.

tori93
June 25th, 2012, 01:11 PM
i started drinking soya milk about 6 months ago on and off but havn't had any in a few weeks, oops :o let's see if my hair grows faster from now on.
I thought it was meant to be good for you?

firevegan
June 25th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Thank you. I'm a vegan so I eat soy and drink soy a lot. I was wondering why my hair was growing so slow. I'm going cold turkey =]

firegypsy
June 25th, 2012, 04:36 PM
i started drinking soya milk about 6 months ago on and off but havn't had any in a few weeks, oops :o let's see if my hair grows faster from now on.
I thought it was meant to be good for you?

you'll get a lot of different answers depending on whom you ask. I do not happen to think that soy milk is good for anyone. I think at best it's neutral for some.

prettyhairisred
June 25th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Wow!! I guess no more soy milk for me! I wonder, is this a real study? I know some "doctors" still say cigarets are healthy for you, if they get paid enough. Just in case Im not going near the soy milk for a while... :horse:

Bene
June 25th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I think an edit in the first post should indicate that this is in regards to topical application.

arielįgua
November 27th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I don't know about this...I have been drinking soy milk for almost a year and my hair growth is exactly the same as it always was: 2 cm per month.

Juanita
November 27th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I think it would depend on the soy products you use. People from Asia tend to use soy and have beautiful hair. Using more traditional methods of soy is probably better for you. Tempeh, tofu, soy sauce etc.

chen bao jun
November 28th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Tell that my hair. I drink soy milk every day and it grows 3/4 inch a month.
Plus, East Asian people are famous for growing hair very fast and very long when they want to (short haircuts are popular in Asia for young women now for a long time.)
And they live on soy products. I just don't think this is true at all.
The people at the top of the list of longest hair in the world are always east asian. You don't grow 18 foot long hair unless you have very rapid growth (as well as a looong anagen phase and great retention, of course).
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.166413800189134.1073741832.161211604042687&type=3

chen bao jun
November 28th, 2013, 07:27 AM
In China, they have been drinking soy milk a long time, I first learned to drink it in Taiwan in the 1980's. But you didn't buy it, people made their own.

I think it would depend on the soy products you use. People from Asia tend to use soy and have beautiful hair. Using more traditional methods of soy is probably better for you. Tempeh, tofu, soy sauce etc.

Prettychild
November 29th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Bad news for me. I've switched to soya milk because milk makes my IBS flare up. Now what? :(

leslissocool
November 29th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I think people with thyroid issues are going to be more susceptible to this. It won't affect everyone, but anyone with a lower functioning thyroid should beware.

This

Hormonal inbalances affect hair growth. High estrogen and testosterone levels can both cause incredible sheds and slow hair growth.

I have high estrogen levels, so soy prodicts aren't the best for me (I go up in body fat actually, slow hair growth about half of what I get which I'm a fast grower, Insulin sensitivity goes through the roof and have issues processing carbs even complex). Dairy however makes me feel awesome (milk, I don't like cheese and yogurt really) and keeps my hair growth at one inch a month give or take.

Now people with low estrogen levels would benefit from soy products. My mother started consuming plant estrogens for menopause and it's worked very well.

Prettychild
November 29th, 2013, 12:15 PM
This

Hormonal inbalances affect hair growth. High estrogen and testosterone levels can both cause incredible sheds and slow hair growth.

I have high estrogen levels, so soy prodicts aren't the best for me (I go up in body fat actually, slow hair growth about half of what I get which I'm a fast grower, Insulin sensitivity goes through the roof and have issues processing carbs even complex). Dairy however makes me feel awesome (milk, I don't like cheese and yogurt really) and keeps my hair growth at one inch a month give or take.

Now people with low estrogen levels would benefit from soy products. My mother started consuming plant estrogens for menopause and it's worked very well.
This is so interesting because most people don't really know how their level of estrogen and testorone are. GPs usually will not order this test unless it is something related to fertiflity or the menopause.

leslissocool
November 29th, 2013, 12:33 PM
This is so interesting because most people don't really know how their level of estrogen and testorone are. GPs usually will not order this test unless it is something related to fertiflity or the menopause.

That's true, I hyperovulate and have stress induced hypertension (and I'm still in my twenties!) which causes me to make too much insulin when consuming carbs, when I was pregnant I puked the liquid they give you to measure your blood sugar all 3 times and felt horribly ill, and did so AFTER I gave birth too so my doctor ordered some tests (blood sugar from my plood reader was always perfectly at 70) and that's when we found out that my estrogen levels were through the roof (normal for women who hyperovulate actually). My mother has hypertension too, and it DOES affect your hormonal levels (she's always had high testosterone it became apparent with menopause) so her doctor put her on plant estrogens and told her to switch to soy products.

I think it would be very beneficial to ask your doctor about getting tested, it can affect weight a lot and blood pressure, not just hair :lol:.

Bambi
November 29th, 2013, 01:09 PM
^ I too have high estrogen-levels so I had to quit soy a while ago..now I eat a supplement that aids me through my PMS and other estogen- related issues...my skin has gotten so much better(I started a thread about ditching foundation, which also has helped), so I feel for all of you guys with hormonal issues...it's not funny at all..

Silverbrumby
November 29th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Almond milk is delicious.

misspurdy06
November 29th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I stopped drinking soy ages ago. I have since started obsessively drinking Almond milk. It's sooooooo good and works miracles with my skin. If I skip a week or two the skin on the back of my hand starts to look like crocodile.