PDA

View Full Version : Hairdresser cut 12" off and I'm thrilled!!

Red Rapunzel
June 23rd, 2012, 06:09 PM
Hi, Longhairs!

I've been away for a while - too unhappy with my thinning, long, stringy hair to post here. Then I personally cut my hair back from about mid-thigh to tailbone length and got it a little uneven -longer on the right side. Still, that seemed better for a while, but then even that started looking stringy so I ended up wearing my hair everywhere stuffed up under a cap. It was like I had short hair. So I got fed up and decided to take the plunge and have some serious cutting done by a hairdresser.

Last Thursday I went to a highly recommended hairdresser ready for a major change. Surprisingly, the hairdresser didn't want to take off as much as I was prepared to lose! He was very considerate and concerned about how I would react to a major shortening! We agreed upon a length just below BSL. Then he carefully, while I was standing, clipped off 12 miserable inches of my straggly hair. I was thrilled with the results!! After the blow-out my hair looked as thick as it had been when I was a teenager!! And I loved the way my hair would swing - with movement I had not had for 5+ years!

So to Spidermom and anyone else who is feeling so ready to cut, I say: "Go for the change!" You are probably feeling just as miserable as I was with the very long hair length and split ends and just as ready for a change. I LOVE my new, below-BSL-length hair. I can still put it up or into a ponytail. Will definitely wear my below-BSL hair down more often than I did my thigh-length or tailbone-length hair! And if I ever decide to go longer, it will grow longer with more thickness than it had before! Below is a photo of my new look. :cheese:

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/998/hairnewcut002.jpg

Silverbrumby
June 23rd, 2012, 06:14 PM
What a wonderful change and props to you. I agree that it looks fabulous and that at the end of the day is what we all hope for. Chin/APL/BLS or classic.

jacqueline101
June 23rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Your hair looks good.

Vanilla
June 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
It looks awesome :). I'm thrilled you're happy with the cut.

Wildcat Diva
June 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
It is good to be happy! I am glad you are pleased. Congratulations!

prettykitty
June 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
Wow, it looks great! So thick and full. I'm so glad you're enjoying your hair again.

Macaroni
June 23rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
Beautiful cut, beautiful color.

kpzra
June 23rd, 2012, 06:47 PM
I love your color, so reflective.

dulce
June 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Really nice..

Madora
June 23rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
That is a lovely head of healthy, beautiful hair!

natural_shine
June 23rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
I'm glad for you.
Split ends look bad and feel bad to touch. Also, they can make further damege by splitting along the rest of the lenght. I honestly don;t understand why people are reluctant to cutting split ends... I think medium lenght hair, but healthy and shiny is better than very long hair with a quarter of it made of split ends... truth is they do look bad in reality, I've seen it lots of times. It takes the attention from the rest of gorgeous shiny hair, it's like they pop up and you see them first. It's a disadvantage,esp. when you have great hair, and I don't see why not get rid of them, tehy are a damage that has the ability to spread, keeping them can bring nothing good.

So... congrats for your courage. I hope now you'll find a better hair growth plan to lessen the splits so you can grow longer.

4C4rly4
June 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM
That's great :D
I agree that it's good to just go for it if your hair really needs to be cut. I went through the same thing a few months ago - my hair was at BSL and I had soo many split ends, it was a disaster and I was starting to get embarrassed by it, so I finally went to a hairdresser and he cut off all the split ends. He only cut about 3 inches though, but my hair felt soo much healthier than before, and I was very happy I did it. I actually ended up liking the shorter haircut more than the longer one because of how healthy it was.

shelleybean
June 23rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Wow! Your hair looks amazing. I'm so glad you are happy with it and enjoy your hair more at this length. I've thought about cutting back myself as it definitely is thicker at bsl-ish. It's a nice length, you can wear it down or up so you don't lose the use of your hair toys. :-)

xoerincolleen
June 23rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
It looks great! :) And it's still plenty long!

firegypsy
June 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
Oh it's so pretty!

And OT....your hair reminds me of a line from Still Life With Woodpecker when he talks about the Princess' hair looking beautiful, as red and straight as ironed ketchup. That line sprang to my head as I gazed upon your photo!

Calaelen
June 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
I remember you other post about feeling you needed to cut. Your hair is still as stunning, ethereal, and fairytale like as it was before, so here I am admitting I was WRONG! You have the most gorgeous colour I've ever seen, and it looks lovely at this length.

patienceneeded
June 23rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
Very nice! You hair looks lovely!

Honestwitness
June 23rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
Your new hair is very beautiful. I have also been thinking of trimming off a few inches. My scraggly ends are really starting to look bad. Now you've got me thinking really hard about going ahead and doing the chop.

lmfbs
June 23rd, 2012, 09:12 PM
It looks great, and beautiful and thick!

PixxieStix
June 23rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
Lovely, I'm so happy for you. :) Being in love with your hair is what it's all about!

MeowScat
June 23rd, 2012, 09:43 PM
You have really gorgeous hair, and the slight U-shape is perfect.

Are you sure your circumference is only a ii? It looks so much thicker than that. Then I saw your hair is Fine which added to the "wow factor" of the thickness. I wish mine was that full.

Now you can enjoy wearing it down, you're sure to cause envy wherever you go.

Congratulations on a great cut, it's stunning! :)

kitschy
June 23rd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Your hair looks so nice. You've got me almost convinced to maintain at my current length which is at waist.

letibear
June 23rd, 2012, 11:49 PM
Your hair looks great!

ChasingRainbows
June 24th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I think it's great that you know when you need a trim to keep your hair looking it's best. And by the way, your hair looks gorgeous! So thick and healthy!!

Ticky
June 24th, 2012, 01:18 AM
It does look very nice :)

Ambystoma
June 24th, 2012, 01:46 AM
What a beautiful colour! I like the hemline shape too, your hairdresser did a wonderful job :).

hellucy
June 24th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Your hair looks lovely - Glad to hear you are happy with your new do :happydance:

Trivial
June 24th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Beautiful hair is not all about length - you are proving it!! I am happy for you! :)

Trivial
June 24th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Oh, I said that in a good way - healthy hair is way more beautiful - long or short, in my opinion, than just long long hair that is not healthy. :)

Lostsoule77
June 24th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Your hair looks amazing! Being happy with it is what this is all about for me so I'm glad you have that now. :D

Bonkers57
June 24th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Your hair looks lovely - nice and full with an even hem. And I agree with what a lot of people here have already said - it's most important that you love your own hair.

spidermom
June 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Your hair looks very pretty!
My hair stylist appointment is today.

CarpeDM
June 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Your hair looks so thick and healthy (but still long), love the cut!

jojo
June 24th, 2012, 12:38 PM
your hair is so thick and reminds me of Madora's hair not the colour obviously but the thickness and condition. I can only dream about having thick hair like that! good job!

HintOfMint
June 24th, 2012, 12:40 PM
It looks so thick and full! Good for you.

Sunny_side_up
June 24th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Lovely condition and pretty hem:)

lapushka
June 24th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Looks like you got rid of a lot of length, but if you're not happy with it, you're not happy with it. I'm glad you like it now, and that you're happy with your hair again and with your ends / hemline. Good for you! :)

Dovetail
June 24th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Congrats on the cut, It looks wonderful! I agree that it isn't any fun to have long hair if you don't like it. :applause to the hair dresser for being so wonderful too!

MrsGuther
June 24th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Glad you are happy with the cut. It looks great!

catamonica
June 24th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Your hair is beautiful & thick. I love the color.

winteriscoming
June 24th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Your hair looks amazing! And that color is stunning :)

meishkamooshka
June 24th, 2012, 11:34 PM
It looks awesome! Congrats! :)

GlassEyes
June 24th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I'm glad you're thrilled, but I have a question--do you brush your hair? Your hair looks like a lot of curly hair when it's been dry brushed. It might be worth it to experiement with the curly girl method. The hemline does look quite thick though--I'm envious. My hair is nowhere near thick. xD

Curly_jas
June 25th, 2012, 07:45 AM
You're hair looks lovely! Sometimes a good cut is what is needed.

Alvrodul
June 25th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous!:D

Lucky
June 25th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Your hair looks very thick and the color is just lovely! It's nice to hear that you're so happy with your cut :)

Red Rapunzel
June 25th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Dear Longhairs,

Thanks so much to all of you for your very caring, kind, and uplifting remarks on my new hair length!! You are a very special group indeed!! I'm thrilled with my hair now, but realize that much of the thickness seen in the photo was due to the hairdresser's blowing-out skills. Not sure how my hair will look when I next wash it and try to style it or just let it dry naturally as is my custom. The hairdresser certainly cut it and shaped it far better than I could have!! I'm sure that, no matter what, my hair will continue to look better than it did, even if I can't get the same appearance of thickness as in the photo. Thanks, again, for your kind and uplifting words!! You are the greatest!!!

wishywashy
June 25th, 2012, 01:34 PM
awesome! :applause Looks great!