PDA

View Full Version : Vacation for the first time since I have been seriously growing my hair out....Pools

CheekAllison
June 23rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
So, I'm going on vacation in a couple of weeks. The last Vacation I went on was before I seriously started taking care of my hair. (Yes, this means no conditioning or proper shampooing techniques... :(...)

Anyway... I plan on swimming while I'm there and I don't want to ruin my hair with all of those chemicals in the pool water.

Do any of you guys have any tips to cut down on the damage of the chlorine and all those other nasty chemicals on hair? I can't do the whole swim cap thing, they give me a horrible head ache.

Thank you so much!!!

~Allison

Amazinggrace
June 23rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
sMake sure to soak you hair before you get in the pool, that will help less chlorine be able to absorb.

hafattack
June 23rd, 2012, 09:03 AM
get your hair wet before you get into the water; Also when I was working as a lifeguard I used a chlorine removal shampoo and conditioner. It was the only thing that really removed the build up, so you might want to try those as well :)

heidi w.
June 23rd, 2012, 09:10 AM
I would consider the idea of braiding the hair, perhaps as well as wetting all the hair, OR wetting and coating with conditioner or oil.

Then wash and conditioner your hair immediately after swimming.

Most swim supply stores do carry swimmer's shampoo, which can help, but watch out, it's a bit drying, so condition well!!

heidi w.

Altariel
June 23rd, 2012, 09:32 AM
I wet , oil the hair and use a swimming cap.
right after wash the hair with a specific shampoo. I haven't found a cheap swimmer shampoos so I use a shampoo for sea water and fructis conditioner for damaged and dry hair, it works well

Kelikea
June 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM
Wet your hair and coat with conditioner, then bun it. After swimming, rinse hair well with fresh water, and condition again. You can get a chlorine shampoo if you notice any damage. Chlorine damaged hair usually feels very slimy or slippery when wet, but crunchy when dry.

blaketob
June 23rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Wash your hair after getting out of the pool. Happy vacation :)

caadam
June 23rd, 2012, 09:52 AM
I would either slather an oil or conditioner on my hair, braid it, and then bun it so it's out of the way. The oil/conditioner will help to protect your hair from chlorine damage, and then you just wash your hair right after getting out of the pool.

You can also invest in a bottle of swimmer shampoo which is a chelating shampoo.

cocolover
June 23rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
There is a great article under Hair Care by ktani that you can check out about swimming and hair. I kind of followed this when I went on my last major "swimming vacation" to Hawaii. I didn't use a swim cap. I did a lot of SMTs over while we were there, as we were in the ocean every day. You can get free honey packets at Starbucks, while on vacation, if you go there every day like I do :) I couldn't find good aloe, amazingly though, so maybe bring that with your deep conditioner.

Bunnysaur
June 23rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
After I go swimming, I apply the conditioner I use as a deep treatment, then let it sink in while I'm rinsing the chlorine out of my suit/off my body. After that, I use Ojon shampoo and conditioner for damaged hair, and it's seemed to help keep the damage at bay.
Have fun on vacation!

saffy2yrs
June 23rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
I will be going on vacation in October - so far away- to a renaissance festival in Las Vegas. I always get my hair braided and up, but the hotel has a pool and lazy river that I will be hanging out in. How do I take care of my hair without undoing the braids?

Inozz
June 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Perfect timing on this post. I'm going to have similar situation. Sounds like braiding, wetting and oil for protection.

akilina
June 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Great advice :)
Soaking with water and then applying with conditioner is great. Also wear the hair up in some sort of bun. I have a pool and it is really hard to keep my head out of the water but mostly, I don't even get my hair wet.
I use the pool for pool exercises though that don't require me getting my hair wet. I have used oil but it grosses me out that if you look at the water in the pool theres a greasy layer of oily on top .

Kaya
June 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Great advice :)
Soaking with water and then applying with conditioner is great. Also wear the hair up in some sort of bun. I have a pool and it is really hard to keep my head out of the water but mostly, I don't even get my hair wet.
I use the pool for pool exercises though that don't require me getting my hair wet. I have used oil but it grosses me out that if you look at the water in the pool theres a greasy layer of oily on top .

*bolded my thoughts exactly* I understand oil or conditioner as a protectant, but unless a swim cap is used, doesn't all that stuff just come off in the water? Especially the conditioner...:confused:

saffy2yrs
June 28th, 2012, 11:14 PM
so how does oiling for protection work when I will be paying a braider at fair to braid my hair similar to my avatar? Should I just oil my hair like normal after washing and hope it is good? of course I will rinse my braid after time in the pool, but it stays in for about a week.