PDA

View Full Version : A new newbie with a confusing question -

Donyyful
June 22nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hi everyone! :)

I thought I would introduce myself with also a question which I have not found an answer to about my hair.

Just an ordinary guy who has always been into hair care and skin care for quite a long time now. I love to learn about the beauty of the skin and hair, and to be able to make the most of what we are blessed with, to embrace and to share what has worked for us. I believe that everyone has the '' perfect '' skin and hair, we just need to know how to work with it. ;)

I have been on the long hair community for quite a long while but I have never had the courage to join! :p Everyone here has been definitely a big help to me with all my queries about hair and to learn from my mistakes.

But I have been having an issue with my hair for quite some time now, it has been almost a year since I have discovered this problem. I am unsure if I should call it '' a change of texture '' of my hair or if it is damage. My hair has always been dead straight, but lately, I feel that the sides of my hair and especially the crown of my head, the hairs are more coarse and rough. I have examined the strands of hair more closely and they seem to have ''dents'' in them, some are bent from the middle of the whole hair strand, some are crinkly. I used to get very frustrated and what I would do is wet a strand of hair and pull gently, and the strand would return back to dead straight after a couple of wetting and pulling.

The side of my hair were also like this. Last year I got very frustrated and thought that my hair was very damaged so I chopped all my new length that I had grown; it was about a year's worth of hair growth. :(

So I wanted to ask, is this normal? Is my hair damaged? I have no split ends at all, I take very good care of my hair, I do not use heat, my hair is always moisturized and soft, so why is it that now I realize the hair on the whole crown of my head are all like this? My hair has never felt this rough and I often mistaken it as very dry damaged hair; it is causing me distress and I feel like chopping all my new growth again that I have worked hard for this year :(

Thank you for your time x

Take care!

Zhennni(:
June 22nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
I think it should be normal, people's hair texture changes sometimes, but Ive a lot of strange looking hairs that feels rough too and idk where they come from >:(

Slug Yoga
June 22nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Hm, can you think of anything that could be damaging the hair in that area? Do you wear hats, could it be from elastics, etc.?

Sometimes I get bent or crinkly bits in my hair (though much lower down, usually near the ends), which I think is due to handling. Like some hairs got tangled and then kinked, or it was held at a funny angle in a braid, etc. As far as I can tell (since I wash my hair maybe once a week) they go away after the hair has been wetted, like you said. If it goes back to straight after it has been wetted, I'm not sure if that's "restoring" the natural pattern that it would normally have, or temporarily making it seem straighter, in the way that you can alter your hair through wetting and drying in a certain position.

But if it is not somehow a result of handling (or of humidity changes? I dunno, could the hair on your canopy be frizzing a bit and then drying that way and getting a different texture as a result?), my guess is that certain follicles are just "different" for some reason and producing different shaped/textured hair because of that. If I'm not mistaken differences in hair texture (like straight vs. curly vs. kinky, etc.) are based on the shape of the hair follicle. Every now and then I find a "weird" hair that is a bit rougher or kinkier. I have no idea why. On my head it seems to be pretty rare and randomly distributed as far as I can tell. I definitely recall other members talking about how hair in certain parts of their head has a different texture though.

Why this is something that would have developed in the last year, or something you would have noticed in the last year, I have no idea. Are those rougher hairs longer than a year's growth? Because if the "rougher" parts are further down from your scalp than 6 inches (or however much your hair grows in a year) then I would think that they are either damage, or else that your hair was like that all along, and it has only become more apparent recently.

Did you change anything in your routine, use different products, etc.? I think sometimes that can cause someone to perceive a different texture in their hair. Anyway, this is all just some speculation. I am doubting it is because of damage. Don't freak out, I'm sure your hair is still lovely. :)

Pixie0763
June 22nd, 2012, 01:44 PM
The hair picture in your profile looks fantastic!

How old are you? Hormonal changes can change the texture of your hair. My hair changed during puberty, again when I when through pregnancy, and now again that I'm going through menopause. I don't know if the hormonal changes men go through are as extreme, but I can't help but think they'd affect your hair too?

Amanah
June 22nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
you have seriously georgeous hair . . .

riceball
June 22nd, 2012, 02:08 PM
My first guess is hormonal changes. I used to have very straight, maybe 1b hair as a child. When I hit puberty, I started getting those weird coarse crinkly hairs that twist and turn unpredictably. I also went from straight to moderately wavy and the odd curl here and there.

I was confused at first and for years I thought it was just damage from flat ironing, coloring and such. But it's not! I have about 3 inches of virgin hair that has those crinkly coarse hairs. And my bf has hair that is this texture naturally. So I am going to stick with the idea that it is the result of hormones, that it is natural, and I would not worry about it.

ladonna
June 22nd, 2012, 02:48 PM
Oh wow I love your hair!! I have a combo of medium and coarse hairs too.

Donyyful
June 23rd, 2012, 05:57 AM
Zhennni(: - I know! This is frustrating. :( I think my hair is actually changing textures. I also realized that at the back of my hair, the strands are more wavy, as well as at random parts of my head lol ><

Slug Yoga - I do not wear any hats or use any elastics or any accessories. The only factor that I could think of that is causing this is maybe my pillowcase. The material isn't cotton but it isn't real satin either; could it be that its is because of the way I sleep? When I think about it now, the strands on top of my head aren't always crinkled or bent in the same way. I've just looked in the mirror and examined them on my oiled hair, and most of them are pretty straight now, if not a few bent dips on the ends of my hair. But overall they still do have a rough coarse texture.

I heard that these are due to the hair follicles being damaged? The strand of hair itself has been pulled too hard that it has lost its usual structure? Is this true? Sometimes whenever I look in the mirror to examine them, it is always the whole strand of hair, from my roots. But now that i've thought about it more, they are never crinkled or bent in the same way, but I always seen this from the roots. I used to get very frustrated whenever I came out of my bathroom after washing my hair, as these strands of hair would stick out. I would always see the crinkles and bents from the roots and I would cut the whole strand off. Silly me - facepalms-

I don't really have a hair routine, I always switch my products according to how my hair feels or looks like on that day. I don't really comb my hair when its wet, I leave it to air dry and that's probably it. I shall take another close look right after my hair has been washed when its wet and after when it has fully dried! :)

Pixie0763 - Thank you so much! ^^ I'm within my teenage years haha, so I am guessing it is probably hormonal changes. I've experienced these changes throughout my teenage years so it is most likely? This year i'm an adult! - hint hint - :p

Amanah - Thank you so much! >.<

riceball - I think it is too. When I really do think about it, my mum used to have very wavy, frizzy hair in her young years, but now she has dead straight hair. My grandma and grandpa also have very wavy,coarse hair, especially my grandma. So perhaps this is normal?

ladonna - Thank you! hehe, i'm glad that i'm not the only one who has this issue.

Thank you everyone who has replied and helped! It really means a lot to me, you're all so lovely and helpful. :)

blaketob
June 23rd, 2012, 07:49 AM
People's hair tends to change every 5-7 years.. so it could be just time. Maybe try using different products, or a different shampoo and conditioner from a different brand if you haven't already tried that. But honestly from reading your posts, I do believe your hair texture is possibly just changing if its from the roots down.

heidi w.
June 23rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
One thing I'm going to suggest, and hopefully this is not going on yet, at all, and won't ever. But if I understand correctly, you're a male? It is remotely possible that you could be getting warning signs of a baldness issue. The old, longer hairs will shed, as they naturally would...and then the new hair doesn't grow in quite as long, and lasts less time than the former hair. This can happen even to women, but it most commonly affects men. That's something to keep an eye on and beware of.

This could in part account for hair's texture changing, too.

Chances are that your hair is simply just changing, as hair does throughout our lifetime. Color can change, texture can change, length can change (that is the longest length it will grow....), we can go through growth spurts and declines....everything changes along the way. As a male, you're not quite as susceptible to hormonal changes as a woman can be.

I looked at your profile picture. I had seen it before, and yes, it's a wonderful starter kit. LOL

And welcome!!
heidi w.

heidi w.
June 23rd, 2012, 09:20 AM
People's hair tends to change every 5-7 years.. so it could be just time. Maybe try using different products, or a different shampoo and conditioner from a different brand if you haven't already tried that. But honestly from reading your posts, I do believe your hair texture is possibly just changing if its from the roots down.

When hair changes like this, it is occurring from the inside (at the root of the hair). Therefore there is nothing that can be done externally to remedy such a happenning. Nothing. Changing one's routine is not advised, by me.

heidi w.

Donyyful
June 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
blaketob - Yes I think my hair texture is changing. I don't stick to a specific hair product, I am always constantly changing them as I don't want my hair to get used to it, as well as some products are suited more towards my hair depending on whats it has been through on that week/day. I really do hope so that its just a natural process of changing rather than damage :o

heidi w. - Sadly to say, I am one who is effected by the male hair loss pattern. My father's side of the family is known for carrying that gene. However, from observing my relatives and those who have been effected by it ( my big brother has a major receding hairline but has been getting treatment for it, my half brother who's hairline has receded near to his crown and my uncle (dad's brother) has lost all his hair, apart from his sides. I only know of that our family is known for having a receding hairline but not hairloss at the crown? My dad is almost in his 60's now, his hairline is very thin but his crown seems to be fine. I already do have a receding hairline :(, but from what i've seen, I really hope I don't lose hair on my crown as well lol. & Haha thanks for the compliment! :p

Thank you both for your help! x Really appreciate it :D

blaketob
June 23rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Your welcome! You may also want to try weekly deep conditioning treatments. I think they help overall smoothness and texture

SunlightShines
June 23rd, 2012, 11:57 AM
My son's hair went thru a change when he was in his mid teens. It became very thick, course & then curled like crazy. You can see a pick of his hair on my page. If you're not already taking a good multi-vitamin you should start. As you go thru periods of growth (especially bone mass) your body will need a lot of nutrients to accomodate. My son didn't take vitamins and although his hair didn't suffer it did change dramatically. His lack of vitamins caused his skin to take the brunt of the changes. He has very deep lateral stretch marks across his back from the growth spurts. At lot of growth in a very short time can affect people in different ways.

Donyyful
June 23rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
I usually heavy oil my hair with coconut oil as my deep conditioner; Oiling my hair rather than using a deep conditioner from the store gives me amazing results and softness. I'm still trying to find a deep conditioner without any silicones in it. But I will do! Thank you! :)

Donyyful
June 23rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
SunlightShines - Yes I take my hair skin and nails vitamins as well as Cod liver oil with A-Z formula. I guess we can all agree that its due to hormones and that my hair is just changing its texture naturally. Thank you for your reply! (:

Ambystoma
June 23rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
For me, I've noticed lots of changes as I've grown. As a child, I was firmly in the F camp, but after puberty became an M. In my late twenties I guess around 1% of my hair became C and darker. Now that I'm in my thirties I have pretty sparkly silvers that are C as well, yet I've always kept F type hairs around the nape and temples. Follicles are a funny thing, and change a lot over time. I wouldn't worry too much, it does what it will and as long as it it healthy and cared for, it will look beautiful :).

Donyyful
June 23rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'm so glad that i'm hearing this from other people, I guess our hair texture changes more than I thought. Well i guess there isn't anything to worry about anymore. Thank you for your time and reply! :)