PDA

View Full Version : How to get remnants of colour out?

Quixii
June 22nd, 2012, 11:16 AM
I originally posted this to my blog, but I think I need more feedback.

As most of you may know, I dyed my hair rainbow a couple months ago. In the past I've never had a problem with these semi-permanent dyes washing out in a month or two. But for whatever reason, these colours are clinging on. They're super faded, but just not gone! It's really annoying me and I kind of want to put some purple in, but I don't want to do it with bits of green and reddish left in.
Any tips on how to get them out, that won't be damaging to my hair?

ETA: I have tried washing with a clarifying shampoo a couple times.

Anje
June 22nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
I keep reading about crushing vitamin C tablets, mixing them with shampoo, and sudsing it onto the hair and leaving it for a half hour. Honestly, half an hour in shampoo sounds really harsh to me, but it would probably be less damaging than peroxide. Or you could see if it works with conditioner first!

catamonica
June 22nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
I use white vinegar mixed with water, in a spray bottle to lighten my grey hair. It doesn't smell. It lighten my hair to silver. So I think it could at least lighten your
faded colors.

jacqueline101
June 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
There is lemon juice and water used for fading hair.

Roscata
June 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
I've heard some people had success with dandruff shampoos (like Head and Shoulders) or clarifying shampoos (even baking soda+water mixes), left on the hair for longer periods of time, but that may be a little drying; heavy oiling can also help (coconut and olive oil, Help fading box color.. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=59902)).

Good luck! :)

Calaelen
June 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
A deep conditioning treatment with a moisturizing, no protein, formula may help. When these kinds of dyes hang on like that it is due to the porosity and dryness of your hair. The ends are often more dry and porous than the length, and even more so than the roots, so that is my recommendation.

Ligeia_13
June 22nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
I got the last evil bits of Directions out of my hair with ACV rinses! Well, soaks, really. I dunked my head into a bowl of it inbetween shampooing and conditioning. I think I had to do it about 4 times but I'm back to brown now.

Bianca
June 22nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
Have the same problem. I used a red depositing conditioner, and it just wont fade. Its a nice color, but I have to be sure I can get my color back if I want to.

Ill have to try some of the suggestions made here :)

Good luck, quixii.

marymonster
June 22nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
I second the vitamin c and shampoo trick. I've used emergen-c with head and shoulders to get pink dye out of my hair. I left it in for 20 minutes, It didn't damage my hair. It felt like a clarifying wash actually!