PDA

View Full Version : Half virgin . . .

Silver & Gold
August 1st, 2008, 06:12 AM
I'm not only at an awkward length as far as hair length but even worse is that I'm in a strange place as far as hair condition. Half of my hair from the roots is pretty much virgin hair and the other half has been 'rode hard and put away wet' so to speak. It's been colored, blow fried and flat-ironed. I never realized the damage because I used cone products and kept my hair short enough that the damaged parts were constantly being trimmed away. But now that I'm growing my hair out, past damage is a huge issue. So my dilemma now becomes how to best take care of my damaged ends and protect them while trying to gain length.

I can't even begin to think of cutting off the old, damaged hair because my hair is barely shoulder length now and the bang area is just at chin since I'm also growing out bangs and layers. Developing a routine is quite a challenge when I have hair that has such different needs.

I've been using a combination of CO washing and about every 5-7 days using CV shampoo bars to wash the root area. I've also been using coconut oil and a mix of aloe and jojoba oil to help make my hair happy. But as much as I want to be in love with these methods (and they do work nicely for the virgin part of my hair) my ends cry out for more assistance. I have to give the very ends a bit of a trim every 3 months or so because they want to get all tangly otherwise and I've found it's the best way to compromise between cutting it back to virgin and growing it out.

Anyway, the past couple of days I've decided to revisit the use of cones. I have quite a bit of various cone products left over from when I began using more natural products in December (after joining the forum). What I'm beginning to discover is that my processed hair does better with cones while my virgin hair prefers to be left alone with minimal product and minimal washing. It's so hard to satisfy all my hair needs right now.

Anyway, while I intend to continue with my new washing routine I have to add the use of cones on the ends until they are gradually shed and/or trimmed away. My purpose in posting is to share with others who are in the same place as I am with their hair. Perhaps you will find that the answer for you is the same. And if there is anyone out there who is or has been in the same place that has advice of their own to add, please do - I would love to hear what works for you.

Feng-Shui
August 1st, 2008, 07:45 AM
I have the same problem and my program is similar to yours.

Cone work well on my damaged hair, one day until it is completely gone.

I look forward to in the future complete Virgin hair.

It is so many things easier for me.

I think with my method of small steps it will take two years until pure virgin hair.

Many greetings from Feng-Shui :flower:

GlassEyes
August 1st, 2008, 07:55 AM
I'm in the same boat, and for a while did the same thing.

Then I got frustrated and I'm back to full cones for a while. My hair prefers no cones as a whole, even the damaged parts, but the look of the ends and such was so bad I couldn't stand it.

My hair isn't even shoulder length yet, but when I think of cutting off the damage completely, I KNOW it'll look bad. e-e It sucks.

sipnsun
August 1st, 2008, 08:56 AM
I've been growing out double processed hair since May 07' and my hair hates cones on a daily basis. Your routine sounds very similar to mine, and the only thing that helps my ends when they get that bad is a microtrim. Like you, I trim every 3-4 months. Have you tried damp bunning? Maybe this will help with the moisture content in your ends. Biolage conditioning balm has worked wonders for my hair combined with Back to Basics Sunflower leave in conditioner. Both are cone free. Then I usually put in a few drops of coconut oil and twist up. That's pretty much it for my haircare routine. I will keep checking in to see what everyone else recommends!

Katze
August 1st, 2008, 10:03 AM
Hi Silver and Gold, I've been in a similar situation and my virgin hair is now almost shoulder length, with the layered, heat-treated, bleached, dyed, wispy ends tapering down to BSL. I can't WAIT until my hair is natural at waist...sigh...it'll be forever...

You ask about 'cones. Well, when I decided to use them to make my ends look better, I was happy with the results. But I was not happy with my flaky, itchy scalp, and the fact that my hair suddenly had NO wave at all. In the end, I stopped using 'cones because I didn't like the condition of my scalp at ALL, and I missed my waves.

If 'cones make your hair better, why not use them? They really aren't terrible, and if they make you enjoy your hair, there is really nothing wrong with using them!

willowcandra
August 1st, 2008, 11:53 AM
My hair is natural to bra strap -ish The bit underneath is waist.

I use a light shampoo but the same conditioner which is coney but not heavily. I alternate that with cone free.

I put oil on the coloured ends.
I still have lots of coloured bits but they blend in quite well now but they are dry and a bit ratty.

I treat the virgin bit as gently as the ends but that part needs less oil and deep conditioning. But I am now maintaining so I cut the damage off every few months.

Bucatini
August 1st, 2008, 01:47 PM
/hijack

I wasn't thinking about hair, and the words "Half-virgin" made me :rollin:

/end hijack.

jojo
August 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM
I went cone free for a year and it worked lovely, then my hair started to hate them now I use whatever is on hand cone or conefree.

i have no damage and apart from the odd henna gloss, which has left some staining my hair is all virgin.

I am loving the tigi products at the moment, the moisture manic is to die for! and cone free for those of you who don't want cones!!

Feng-Shui
August 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
/hijack

I wasn't thinking about hair, and the words "Half-virgin" made me :rollin:

/end hijack.

It is a miracle.

Our hair may be a virgin again. :lol:

I use only on the cone damaged lengths.

My scalp remains free of Cone.

My scalp tolerate cone not good.

The damaged lengths love Cone.:love:

Feng-Shui :flower:

FrannyG
August 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
I understand your problem completely. My hair had been through a lot when I joined here. To be honest, my hair is not much longer now than it was two years ago, simply because I did cut off that old damage.

However, I am an exception. I would never recommend that anyone else cuts off the damage, unless like me, they feel compelled to.

I think that continuing to pamper your hair and using cones is a very good solution.

As your hair gets longer, you may find that you are willing to get frequent but small trims, so that you lose damage, but still gain length.

Just hang in there. :flowers:

Silver & Gold
August 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
It's nice to see other people with the same issues post their experiences. Katze, you mentioned that your scalp hates cones. I wouldn't know if I have this issue or not because cones never touch my scalp. I don't use shampoos with cones, I currently use CV shampoo bars when I choose to shampoo my scalp, otherwise I'm using WO or CO and the conditioner I use for CO is always without cones, I use VO5 for CO.

I only use a conditioner or leave-in with cones and the cones only go on my damaged length. This way I can make all my hair happy. My length did OK with oils but it tended to be more rough and tangly. I tried living with that and compensating with oils, sometimes misting before oiling to put moisture back in. It did a fair job. But there was still some roughness and tangling on the ends.

When I broke down and used cones on the damaged bits only, the difference was like night and day. No tangling at all and the hair feels like virgin hair. Cones really cover up damage. But after being on this board I understand that I will need to be careful to clarify on occasion to keep from making things worse as far as drying out the damaged bits.

I have to believe that careful use of cones is better for my damaged hair because now that I am keeping my hair from tangling I won't have as much breakage from catching my tangly hair when I try to groom it.

So for now my plan is WO, CO and CV shampoo bars depending on my current needs that day and using cone conditioners and leave-ins on the ends. Adding to that microtrims of about 1/4" every 3 or 4 months to gradually blend in the growing bangs and layers as well as removing old damage. I've come to believe this is the best plan for my hair as it is right now.

BTW, my silver hair is coming out very nicely. Although I don't have near enough silver to make quite the striking display I would like, I do have a few very nice streaks at the temples.

Thank-you everyone for participating. I learned a few things and got positive reinforcement from others who have discovered the same thing.