PDA

View Full Version : Poor Advice Column!

Not Lynn Merely
June 21st, 2012, 06:16 PM
I was reading Yahoo! articles when I stumbled into this gem: article (http://shine.yahoo.com/summer-shape-up/11-beauty-remedies-summer-skin-hair-damage-190000661.html;_ylt=AmM5htOeiuYfw2Rs0utulTb7hKU5;_ ylu=X3oDMTQzbTJsa3NuBG1pdANCZWF1dHkgU2VjdGlvbgRwa2 cDOTllNWMwZjYtZDdkMS0zYTQ5LWIwYTktZTIzNGY1ZWFmNDEz BHBvcwMzBHNlYwNNZWRpYVNlY3Rpb25MaXN0VGVtcAR2ZXIDZj Q2MjQwNDAtYWZmYS0xMWUxLWI3ZjctZmI2ZWIxOWYwMWVj;_yl g=X3oDMTJqbjVnMzI4BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3Rh aWQDOWE1NzNmZTAtNzhhOS0zZTM3LWE4NTktMWRkOWY1ZDE1ND VlBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdl;_ylv=3)
What got me was this item:

#11. Soothe Your Irritated Scalp
"Overexposure to the sun can really damage your scalp," says Head & Shoulders dermatologist Dr. Ilyse Lefkowicz. "Your scalp is the foundation for healthy hair. To bring the life back to it, minimize the amount of styling products you use, since most can cause an unhealthy buildup of oils, and lessen the use of heat tools. Also, shampoo on a regular basis [emphasis added] - the massaging action invigorates follicles and reduces excessive sebum buildup that can lead to scalp irritations." Isn't frequent shampooing the opposite of what most people on this board recommend? I would think just suggesting scalp massage without shampoo would be a better idea.

So, what terrible advice have you heard regarding hair care? Stories, please!

secondrain
June 21st, 2012, 06:25 PM
"Lots of brushing will make your hair healthy and shiny"

Umm...no. I have curly hair. Lots of brushing makes me look like my head exploded.

spidermom
June 21st, 2012, 06:27 PM
I am completely on board with shampooing on a regular basis, which would be about twice a week with diluted shampoo for me.

jeanniet
June 21st, 2012, 07:06 PM
Shampoo itself isn't necessarily the devil--as a matter of fact, there are quite a few here who shampoo daily. There can be all sorts of factors involved, such as how often, how much shampoo is used, what kind, etc. Some people with scalp conditions really do have to shampoo often to prevent problems. But I don't really think that saying people should shampoo or wash regularly is bad advice. If you look at what he said, he was talking about the action more than the actual product, so I imagine COing would probably pass muster. On the other hand, since he works for Head & Shoulders, I'd probably take his advice with a grain of salt. ;)

One thing you learn here is YMMV--that is, Your Mileage May Vary. If there's 100 people telling you that XYZ did wonders for their hair, you may be the one who finds it a disaster. There's probably a few universal truths out there; I'd guess that flat ironing is pretty much always bad for your hair, but I wouldn't be surprised to find someone who grew to floor length while flat ironing three times a day! :D

Madora
June 21st, 2012, 07:07 PM
The idiots who advocate using a brush to detangle! Haven't they ever heard of using a comb? Common sense clearly shows a comb has a modest number of tines, as compared to all the bristles in a brush. Less opportunies for the hair to get tangled means less damage.

swearnsue
June 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM
How about pulling out gray hairs by the root so the gray goes away!

Amygirl8
June 21st, 2012, 07:44 PM
Depends on what is "a regular basis" XD
I believe that to prevent sun damage, the most sensible thing to do is invest in a hat.
And not forget that hat, like I once did :rolleyes:

I do not have a really regular basis for washing my hair. It depends on how I feel, what I'm doing the next couple days, if I'm up for it etc. I definitely agree with the YMMV. There are lots of different hairtypes and if it's not hurting you or your hair, then it's great for you! It just not might work for others.

christine1989
June 21st, 2012, 08:04 PM
I remember a while back someone posted a video that (among other nuggets of crappy advice) recommended that if you are GROWING your hair you should trim off 3/4 inch each month. Since most hair grows 1/2 inch per month your hair would actually be getting shorter. Lol.

Diamond.Eyes
June 21st, 2012, 08:11 PM
Sometimes shampooing is a lot better for people with over-active oil glands in their scalp. The sebum can keep the scalp from breathing and cause major shedding. I however don't think it is a good idea for someone who has dry hair. I don't think this article contains the best advice for everyone. They are kind of treating it as if everyone's hair is exactly the same.

caadam
June 21st, 2012, 10:26 PM
For me...

Shampoo on a regular basis = Shampoo once a month

The wonders of personal interpretation. Hehehe. I'm sure that's not what they meant, but that's how I chose to interpret it. Saying that, I think it can be interpreted differently for each person (and to also rebel against the "SHAMPOO EVERY DAY"-thumpers). Some people DO choose to S&C every day just because they find that stretching washes, no matter how long they try, just will never happen for them. And that's cool.

I just got an issue with people saying that you HAVE to do it every day or even every other day (or every couple/few days). Not one routine is universal, especially when it comes to everyone's bodies. We're all different, and we need to treat our bodies in different ways compared to others. You find what works for you, and you acknowledge that it works for YOU, period. Sure, suggest it to someone else, say they should try it out because it might work for them, but to act like it's the only way is a very incorrect mindset. That's all.

Oh, but I did get excited about this:

"The only way to treat split ends is to trim them off! Contrary to those beauty myths, you can't physically heal a split end."

YESSSSS. lol Finally.

Arya
June 21st, 2012, 10:27 PM
DAMN I was hoping this would be the thread where someone asks for advice, and the person below gives hilariously terrible advice to solve the problem.
Can we have a thread like that? Please?

GlennaGirl
June 21st, 2012, 10:30 PM
DAMN I was hoping this would be the thread where someone asks for advice, and the person below gives hilariously terrible advice to solve the problem.
Can we have a thread like that? Please?

Eh...I do that all the time...just not on purpose! :D :cheese:

long&blonde
June 21st, 2012, 11:29 PM
Eh...I do that all the time...just not on purpose! :D :cheese:

Start the thread;
And they will come.
:)

akilina
June 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM
Time after time, it seems that most mainstream hair articles are very misguided.
This will never change I am sure. Although I have seen a few articles that mention more of the haircare routine that someone on the LHC would follow.

saffy2yrs
June 21st, 2012, 11:39 PM
So have members of LHC write columns and submit them with proof pics to magazines. Everyone gets started somewhere, and if somebody at a magazine tries the steps most people here seem to use and get good results, it might start changing mainstream

Shiranshoku
June 22nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
Sometimes shampooing is a lot better for people with over-active oil glands in their scalp. The sebum can keep the scalp from breathing and cause major shedding. I however don't think it is a good idea for someone who has dry hair. I don't think this article contains the best advice for everyone. They are kind of treating it as if everyone's hair is exactly the same.

I've been wondering about what you're saying here. I have a very oily scalp, and the past four months I have been stretching washes to 3-4 times a week... Because I assumed that would be better. But what if I'm actually doing more bad than good?
:rolleyes: I haven't noticed extra shedding, though. I just need to wear a scarf on my head 2 or 3 times a week when I go outside :P

jacqueline101
June 22nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
One I heard in the past is pulling on your hair makes it grow.

Slug Yoga
June 22nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
I remember a while back someone posted a video that (among other nuggets of crappy advice) recommended that if you are GROWING your hair you should trim off 3/4 inch each month. Since most hair grows 1/2 inch per month your hair would actually be getting shorter. Lol.

Hahaha, this really did make me laugh out loud. I'm just imagining the bewildered person faithfully cutting off 3/4 inch a month and having no idea why their hair is shrinking.

elfgirl
June 22nd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hahaha, this really did make me laugh out loud. I'm just imagining the bewildered person faithfully cutting off 3/4 inch a month and having no idea why their hair is shrinking.

It made me giggle, too! :D

GlennaGirl
June 23rd, 2012, 12:31 AM

I once had a teacher (a teacher!!) suggest to the class that "women's hair may be longer than men's hair because from prehistoric times, babies have pulled on their mothers' hair."

I don't even know where to begin with this one. :D I'll just give it a double-oy and leave it at that.

Allychan
June 23rd, 2012, 12:38 AM
So have members of LHC write columns and submit them with proof pics to magazines. Everyone gets started somewhere, and if somebody at a magazine tries the steps most people here seem to use and get good results, it might start changing mainstream

Ha. I have actually been trying to do this through a site that lets you help out reporters on deadlines get a story from quotable sources. My pitch NEVER gets chosen, although, Latest Hairstyles did 'like' one of my hair moisture ideas I posted to them through Facebook :rolleyes:, unfortunately they didn't put it in the webarticle

riceball
June 23rd, 2012, 12:56 AM
My boyfriend loves to give crazy horrible hair "advice".

"Don't wash your hair before going to sleep because over time your hair will all fall out".

"If you don't shampoo every day your hair will fall out".

and "Not brushing your hair every day will damage it more". Umm..I can't. I have huge thick wavy hair and brushing would make me look like a lion.

My mom used to tell me that eating more seaweed would make my hair grow faster.

AnqeIicDemise
June 23rd, 2012, 01:09 AM
My boyfriend loves to give crazy horrible hair "advice".

"Don't wash your hair before going to sleep because over time your hair will all fall out".

"If you don't shampoo every day your hair will fall out".

and "Not brushing your hair every day will damage it more". Umm..I can't. I have huge thick wavy hair and brushing would make me look like a lion.

My mom used to tell me that eating more seaweed would make my hair grow faster.

My grandmother's favorite was telling me that washing my hair at night would make my scalp rot and that over time I'd develop a sinus infection that would require surgery. So.. I'd be deformed AND bald.

I still take showers at night but I don't go to bed with sopping wet hair. Never have actually. Its just too cold. At worst it'll be damp but I time my showers to coincide with the four hour dry time I need.

AnqeIicDemise
June 23rd, 2012, 01:12 AM

I got into a slightly heated argument about that with one of the guys at the salon. (He works the desk, I work the call center.) He couldn't understand why trimming every six weeks was not ideal when growing hair and with *my lifestyle*.

Yes, I am sure there are people out there with severe damage that need to come in quite frequently to microtrim, yadda, yadda. I only trim twice a year and have for about two years. I don't heat style. I don't blow dry often. I don't tease. I don't really have to worry about my 'splits traveling up the length.' Last time I went in for a professional trim my designer argued with me that I didn't need the trim although I insisted on it. She was happy to cut it, but she was hesitant to remove as much as I wanted to. (Its why I love her.)

Ishje
June 23rd, 2012, 01:19 AM

but, this could work right? after all, the grey will go away.
you will be bald too eventually, but the grey will go away XD

Bagginslover
June 23rd, 2012, 02:14 AM
Using straighteners/flat irons seals in moisture. no, just no!

Edit to add- I can sort of undertand the 'pulling will make it grow' idea. If someone had strtchy hair, pulling would give the impression of growth, but also, gently tugging (not yanking!) would probably have a similar effect to a scalp massage in increasing blood flow, while not pulling hard enough to remove any hairs. I might actually try that out, as I hate doing massages.

Allychan
June 23rd, 2012, 02:25 AM
Using straighteners/flat irons seals in moisture. no, just no!

Edit to add- I can sort of undertand the 'pulling will make it grow' idea. If someone had strtchy hair, pulling would give the impression of growth, but also, gently tugging (not yanking!) would probably have a similar effect to a scalp massage in increasing blood flow, while not pulling hard enough to remove any hairs. I might actually try that out, as I hate doing massages.

I met an Indian guy who told me about Indian Hair Pulling. He suggested massaging warm coconut oil into the hair then placing hands over the scalp and moving your scalp as if you are adjusting a wig, follow this by gently grasping a fist full of hair by the roots and tugging over the entire scalp. If you pull out hair you are tugging too hard
PS and don't let someone else do it for you because they will probably enjoying getting carried away with it and you'll end up with a sore head.

Vampyria
June 23rd, 2012, 03:29 AM

I also heard something like this in some you tube video. Keep you hair in a tight ponytail all the time. The more you pull the faster it will grow.

Use dandruff shampoo like Head&Shoulders and your hair will grow faster and be healthier.

I think all of my hair would fall out/break off if I tried that.

heidi w.
June 23rd, 2012, 10:08 AM
I was reading Yahoo! articles when I stumbled into this gem: article (http://shine.yahoo.com/summer-shape-up/11-beauty-remedies-summer-skin-hair-damage-190000661.html;_ylt=AmM5htOeiuYfw2Rs0utulTb7hKU5;_ ylu=X3oDMTQzbTJsa3NuBG1pdANCZWF1dHkgU2VjdGlvbgRwa2 cDOTllNWMwZjYtZDdkMS0zYTQ5LWIwYTktZTIzNGY1ZWFmNDEz BHBvcwMzBHNlYwNNZWRpYVNlY3Rpb25MaXN0VGVtcAR2ZXIDZj Q2MjQwNDAtYWZmYS0xMWUxLWI3ZjctZmI2ZWIxOWYwMWVj;_yl g=X3oDMTJqbjVnMzI4BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3Rh aWQDOWE1NzNmZTAtNzhhOS0zZTM3LWE4NTktMWRkOWY1ZDE1ND VlBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdl;_ylv=3)
What got me was this item:
Isn't frequent shampooing the opposite of what most people on this board recommend? I would think just suggesting scalp massage without shampoo would be a better idea.

So, what terrible advice have you heard regarding hair care? Stories, please!

Actually the article does not say to wash often. And it is pointing out that the scalp skin is sensitive to sun. So this isn't the worst advice ever. But daily washing, for most, is not necessary. The older we get, the less sebum we produce, the less necessary it is to wash so much. That's another explanation why a lot of old ladies get their hair washed simply once a week.

heidi w.

swearnsue
June 23rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
but, this could work right? after all, the grey will go away.
you will be bald too eventually, but the grey will go away XD

LOL, thats true!

ddiana1979
June 23rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
I wash my hair every other day. I kinda have no choice in the matter. My scalp leans towards oily, and since I have dark, very straight hair, any oil at my roots is extremely obvious. Also, I work out about 90 minutes a day, so I'd get pretty funky if I didn't shampoo. I don't shampoo the length though. Just the scalp.

Unicorn
June 23rd, 2012, 07:41 PM
My Grandmother did this, or rather, she had one of her many grand and great grand children do it. She gave them a certain amount of money for each hair they pulled. 1 penny per hair or something. She was lucky in that she went grey fairly late in life, though I did hear her mutter on occasion, "I'm sure my hair's getting thinner". I didn't bother to point out the obvious. :)

Unicorn