PDA

View Full Version : Could air pollution be causing my tangling problems?

RedRose
June 21st, 2012, 05:26 PM
So about 8 months ago I moved from living in a very windy, coastal part of the country, to living in London. I also started a new job with much longer hours.

Since the move, my hair (which has been known to work itself into matts on other occasions, but very, very rarely) has been turning itself into huge dreadlocks and big clumpy matts at every possible opportunity and there seems to be three or more each day. It seems as though no sooner do I detangle it, that it is back. I'm beginning to suspect gremlins or that my hair is actually made of velcro.

With the new job, I haven't been able to devote the hour or so necessary to detangling my hair throughly given its present tangle-propensity on a daily basis (although I have worn it up nearly all the time), and although I had been oiling my hair, securing it before bed to sleep on silk pillowcases with even more regularity than I had before the move, the problem has not improved. And I haven't used bleach on my hair in over 18months! I really have been at a loss to why this has been so bad.

I have m/c iii bsl hair so my wide tooth horn comb has been the main tool I have used in my anti-dread/matt campaign, as my BBB and tangle teezer just don't penetrate deeply enough. Today, after a long and thorough detangling with my comb (ok, I actually started yesterday...it took about 7 hours to thoroughly detangle), I decided to get out my BBB for the first time in ages and "treat" my hair.

OMG!! There was (and is) a terrifying amount of "dust" and "fluff" in my hair. It's disgusting. I couldn't seen it in my hair, but it showed up as this white dusty fluff on my BBB. I wash my hair once a week, as I have done for a long time. I can only assume that this disgusting stuff which I haven't seen before is from the air around me here in London.

Does anyone else have experience of moving to a more polluted area and it wreaking havoc on their hair? Is it possible that these tiny particles clinging to my hair are just enough to rough it up and make it tangle more?

Also, any suggestions to combat the pollution? I don't want to have to start washing my hair every day....but equally I can't cope with matting hair!

CurlyCurves
June 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM
Bumping for you!

Madora
June 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM
Keep your hair covered when outdoors.

Brush your hair daily with a clean hairbrush to remove anything that is clinging to your hair or scalp. Be sure to detangle with a comb first!

If you put oils, etc. on your hair, they can act as a magnet for anything that's floating in the air.

Tisiloves
June 21st, 2012, 07:35 PM
As well as the pollution it might be the water, unless you mover from Dover the water's probably a fair bit harder than you're used to, an acid rinse might help.