PDA

View Full Version : I got my hair extensions! (pics)

Merlisea
June 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
So, I posted yesterday about my hair extensions, and they have arrived!!

I LOVE THEM!! Now I can get an idea about how my hair will look when it is finally long :) I wanted to provide some pics. They are clip in (for less damage) and I'm planning on wearing them at my wedding. :) I love them so much I will probably wear them for fun too :) The lighting is unnatural, so my hair color is a little different than this, but I think the extensions match really well. (For a pic of my natural hair color/length, see the third photo in my first post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=95756).)

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t405/merlisea/photo-3.jpg

In a twisty braided bun:
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t405/merlisea/photo-4.jpg

What do you think?? Does it look okay... Any suggestions? I've already layered them and cut them slightly to blend in with my hair, but should I layer them more, or make the ends less blunt? Do you think that I should cut them a little shorter?

Any suggestions are welcome!! :)

ladylowtide
June 21st, 2012, 03:05 PM
I would say that the color matches very well. Good job on picking those out.

Ciridae
June 21st, 2012, 03:06 PM
They actually look beautiful, very natural imo! Love it :-)

faellen
June 21st, 2012, 03:33 PM
Very lovely!

Eleentje
June 21st, 2012, 05:11 PM
I think they look good like this. They match your hair color well!

poppy81
June 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM
They look great! Wouldn't even know you're wearing them. I like the length.

GlennaGirl
June 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM
WOW. I'm impressed!

sugarpixie10988
June 21st, 2012, 05:19 PM
I can't even tell that they're extensions! Looks great.

BrightEyes
June 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM
They look awesome! They blend really well and the color is a good match. I really like your bun too:)

Tia2010
June 21st, 2012, 05:26 PM
They look great! Very natural looking.. I wouldn't have known it wasn't your natural hair if you didn't tell us. :)

Littlewing13
June 21st, 2012, 05:33 PM
Perfect match!

Falcore
June 21st, 2012, 05:38 PM
Perfect colour match. Good job!

Merlisea
June 21st, 2012, 05:55 PM
Thank you for all the nice comments!!! I really like them, and have been experimenting by wearing them all day :) I'm so excited to be able to have the hair I've always dreamed about for my wedding! :) (And for fun too ;)

akilina
June 21st, 2012, 11:31 PM
I think that the ends should be more blunt, and I would not add "more layers"
Other than that they look pretty good.
:]
I bet in person you can't really even tell they are extensions. Were you going for a V'd weight line?

firevegan
June 22nd, 2012, 12:10 AM
Is my hair too short for them?

cherry blossom
June 22nd, 2012, 12:16 AM
Oh so beautiful. Have never used these, so unable to offer much advice there.. but definitely admired them on others..
And best wishes for D-day ahead.

Quixii
June 22nd, 2012, 12:39 AM
Beautiful! Wouldn't know they were extensions if you hadn't told us. :)

onlyforhim
June 22nd, 2012, 01:42 AM
I can't tell you have hair extensions... looks very cute specially the bun :)

Merlisea
June 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Thank you!! Even my fiance' was amazed at how good they looked :) When I talked about growing out my hair, he was a little skeptical (probably because he's only seen me with my hair short), but when he saw the extensions he said, "Wow! That looks really good on you" (meaning the length) :)

@akilina: It's hard to tell from the picture, but my hair is very fine/thin and I rarely have a blunt hairline (usually fairytale wispies), so I was trying to taper the ends so they looked a little more like my own/less fake. Do you think I should just cut that bottom layer off so it meets the layer above it? Or maybe try to make more of a U shape? My own hair has a slight flip to it, so I used a curling iron to flip the ends of the extensions a little bit after I took the picture, which made it look a little more natural :) Please let me know what you think!

Henrietta
June 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM
Wow, the colour blends really well! I am always amazed at it.
About hemline- I'd cut it slightly less bluntly :) But it's just me.

woolyleprechaun
June 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
Seamless!!! They are by far the best clip in extensions Ive seen :)

woolyleprechaun
June 22nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Seamless!!! They are by far the best clip in extensions Ive seen :)

Kerrilynn
June 22nd, 2012, 10:37 AM
I could hardly tell that they were extensions! They look really good. Personally, I wouldn't cut them. I'd be afraid of messing it all up, but that's just me, lol.

A friend of mine has a really good video about hair extensions that I can link to you. She has Crohn's Disease and the medication she is on for it caused hair loss. She curls her hair with the extensions in to blend it all together so it looks more natural.

Here is the link for Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhBNpeQfH9o
Link for Part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fpYp3DLH2E&feature=fvwrel

Really, though, I don't think you have to do anything to them. They look really great!

catamonica
June 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
They look beautiful! They blend right in.

akilina
June 22nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Thank you!! Even my fiance' was amazed at how good they looked :) When I talked about growing out my hair, he was a little skeptical (probably because he's only seen me with my hair short), but when he saw the extensions he said, "Wow! That looks really good on you" (meaning the length) :)

@akilina: It's hard to tell from the picture, but my hair is very fine/thin and I rarely have a blunt hairline (usually fairytale wispies), so I was trying to taper the ends so they looked a little more like my own/less fake. Do you think I should just cut that bottom layer off so it meets the layer above it? Or maybe try to make more of a U shape? My own hair has a slight flip to it, so I used a curling iron to flip the ends of the extensions a little bit after I took the picture, which made it look a little more natural :) Please let me know what you think!

Ohh okay :) that makes sense, see I couldn't even tell it was thin with the stenchies in. Ya know whatever you think would be best, as it is your hair. It looks fine as is and it makes sense that you would make the ends match your real ends. It really blends nicely and that is awesome because sometimes people have extensions and do it way wrong.
I dont under stand when people start counting bottom layer and all that. Do you mean should you cut the weight line to meet where your layers sort of end?
And to me if someone said they cut in a few layers, that means to me that they just cut chunks of hair out.
You could never count how many layers are there unless you want to count every single hair strand in a vertical section down the middle of your head. I think if people watched an actual professional hair cutting lesson, they would understand more how to actually cut hair and have better self trims/ cuts.

jacqueline101
June 22nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
I think your extensions look great.

Merlisea
June 22nd, 2012, 08:09 PM
!@woolyleprechaun: Wow, thank you so much! That means a lot!

@akilina: Thanks! It is so weird/nice to actually have some hair I can do some fancy hairstyles with :) I definitely wanted it to look at least a little natural, and I didn't want to have blunt ends at the bottom, and then my own tapered ends near the middle.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what the correct terminology is for the layer reference. Basically, the extensions were all one length when I bought them, but I cut layers or steps (about three, each one a little further below my own hair). I guess I did just sort of cut chunks out haha :) So, in that case I'm talking about the last layer, or the end of the extensions, and cutting it up to match the next shortest section of the hair. :)

@Kerrilynn: Thank you for the videos! I will definitely have to watch them :) That is great that your friend found a solution for her thinning hair! I already have thin hair to start with, and couldn't imagine how frustrating it would be to start losing any of it. :/
I've actually already cut my extensions a little bit and layered them so they would look a little more natural (so it wasn't just my own hemline and then drops 6 inches to the bottom.) I wouldn't mind cutting them more if they needed them, but it's hard to tell since they are on the back of my head haha! :)

Merlisea
June 22nd, 2012, 08:10 PM
And thanks to everyone else for all the nice comments! :) It makes me feel a lot more confident!

ChasingRainbows
June 24th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Those look beautiful! They blend very well with your own hair! Love the bun, by the way.

fuzzysnowgirl
July 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Wow! That looks great! May I ask where you got these?

I love your color, by the way. So beautiful!

maborosi
July 10th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Very nice! They do look natural! :)
I like the twisty bun, too! :3

~maborosi~

lechatn0ir
July 10th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Ohh they look really pretty and natural :p

Merlisea
July 16th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone!

@fuzzysnowgirl I got them at this website: http://www.hairextensionstore.biz/

I like them because they have a lot of different lengths than most stores (which jump from 20-24") I got 22 :)

kitekats
July 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Oh no- you are on the evil side now:eyebrows:

moltabella
July 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
They look great! very natural.

question : how do you get them to stay without teasing/hairspraying the roots?

vanillabones
July 16th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I love your extensions they look great! I know how hard it is to have extensions... of any kind... match my hair type / color. Looks like a great length and I wouldn't cut them they look beautiful in that cut but if you wanted them straight down the road that wouldn't be too difficult.

momoftwo708
July 16th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Where did u have them done can you have an updo with them I want some because my layers are too thick and short and want to make my hair little lo get but have my wedding coming up and need an updo

blondie9912
July 16th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Very nice, I literally can't tell where they start!!

Merlisea
July 25th, 2012, 07:39 PM
@kitekats: hahaha I know! I struggled with it because I really want my hair to be naturally long, but it grows way too slowly for it to grow in time for my wedding!

@moltabella: Thanks! They really just seem to stay in, but I don't wear them constantly or all day long, so it may just be that I don't have them in long enough to fall out. I take the time to make sure that each clip is in correctly as I'm doing it and don't rush. For an extra special event I would probably tease the roots slightly- I'm sure I will do that for my wedding day just to make sure my hair isn't falling out into the cake or something! :)

@momoftwo708: I didn't get them done... they are actually clip ins. You can definitely use the clip ins for up-dos, but you probably have to put them in in a specific way, and i'm not sure you could transition to taking it down if you wanted. my hair is very thin, so you would be able to see the bottom clips on the nape of my neck if I just put them in regularly and then pulled it up. I would say to make sure that you don't have any clips to far down on your head (keep them all toward the middle of your head), and perhaps flip the last extension so it is facing up instead of down, so the clips aren't fighting you when you bring your hair up.

I'm sure with sew/glue in extensions it is probably easier to do an updo (but I wouldn't recommend them as I've heard they are extremely damaging)

Thanks to everyone else for all the compliments! :)

akilina
July 25th, 2012, 09:00 PM
More and more the last few days I have been considering some clip ins. I used to always wear them and make my own. I just hated the feeling.
I am about to start working again and I am horribly self conscious about my bad haircut because I am growing out my undercut. My only issue is that I henna my hair and am not sure how I would like to go about matching them. I could either get a color of the hair close to it, and match it to a chemical dye, Or start with something like I started with when I did henna first, and henna the stenchies?
Your post is a little older...so are you still liking your clip ins? :]

Merlisea
July 30th, 2012, 02:23 PM
@akilina: I totally feel you with hating how the clip ins feel, but I think sometimes we confuse the feeling of the fake hair with the feeling of the clips. Don't get me wrong, the clips are not the most comfortable thing in the world to wear all day long, but I've found that having lower quality hair makes it extremely uncomfortable and itchy (A year or so ago I made my own, cheaper quality extensions for Halloween, and they were really hard to wear)
I'm not sure what to say about the color (I've never used henna), but I found ordering samples from sites to be really helpful in the long run. If you're sure that you're going to buy extensions, you can even rent a hair color key (with all the colors) for like $20 dollars, and once you send it back that $20 dollars will go toward your extensions.
I've also used dye on human hair extensions before, and it helped to match it to my hair, but the ones I have now match much better (I used samples to help me find which one I wanted.)
I really like my extensions! I don't wear them every day, but when I feel like dressing myself up a little, or want a really thick braid or something.
I found that I was able to eliminate one three-clip piece from my set, and it felt much more comfortable while still looking nice. I also think the key is to only wear them for part of the day, because they won't get as tiring to wear.

MrsGuther
July 30th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Pretty! The color matches your hair color well. I really like the twisted bun picture! So gorgeous!

CastaDiva
July 30th, 2012, 02:54 PM
It looks so natural, the extensions blend in beautifully. I really like the effect of the different lengths. Lovely bun, too.

akilina
July 30th, 2012, 03:55 PM
@akilina: I totally feel you with hating how the clip ins feel, but I think sometimes we confuse the feeling of the fake hair with the feeling of the clips. Don't get me wrong, the clips are not the most comfortable thing in the world to wear all day long, but I've found that having lower quality hair makes it extremely uncomfortable and itchy (A year or so ago I made my own, cheaper quality extensions for Halloween, and they were really hard to wear)
I'm not sure what to say about the color (I've never used henna), but I found ordering samples from sites to be really helpful in the long run. If you're sure that you're going to buy extensions, you can even rent a hair color key (with all the colors) for like $20 dollars, and once you send it back that $20 dollars will go toward your extensions.
I've also used dye on human hair extensions before, and it helped to match it to my hair, but the ones I have now match much better (I used samples to help me find which one I wanted.)
I really like my extensions! I don't wear them every day, but when I feel like dressing myself up a little, or want a really thick braid or something.
I found that I was able to eliminate one three-clip piece from my set, and it felt much more comfortable while still looking nice. I also think the key is to only wear them for part of the day, because they won't get as tiring to wear.
Thats funny you replied today....right now I am testing out coloring some individual pieces. They were black so I bleached them, and now they have color on them that I just happened to have. I think I matched the color pretty well considering it was a random toss up that I would even have a color to match them. Processing now :D I will see soon enough. If its worth it, I will bleach the rest of them and color them the same color. If not, atleast I have my two individual pieces I can blend my growing undercut in with.

Merlisea
July 30th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Oh yay! I'm so glad you were able to create the right color :) I've found that if you can blend it correctly, it's definitely a lot more comfortable to only wear a couple pieces. I actually got headaches when I wore all 7 pieces, but since I eliminated the one, large 3-clip piece I am able to wear them more often :)

akilina
July 30th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Oh yay! I'm so glad you were able to create the right color :) I've found that if you can blend it correctly, it's definitely a lot more comfortable to only wear a couple pieces. I actually got headaches when I wore all 7 pieces, but since I eliminated the one, large 3-clip piece I am able to wear them more often :)
Well I lightened and colored all of them. Haha I guess I do not care about being "mean" to this hair. I have had it for 3 years and its still intact. The color blends perfectly, but I simply hate the feeling :/ I wish I could like them.
I also realized, that my hair is exactly the same length as the extensions. I was not expecting that one!

utdesertrunner
July 30th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Cute! They look great and totally natural!