PDA

View Full Version : Protective styles/oils for sleeping

MestizoGypsy
June 21st, 2012, 01:16 PM
What do y'all do to your hair to protect it at night? I sleep on a satin pillowcase with conditioner in my ends, but I sometimes still wake up with crunchy ends. Should I be doing something different? A bun or coconut oil maybe?

DarkCurls
June 21st, 2012, 03:04 PM
I can't help, but will follow this thread. I have dry hair in general (which seems to go with the wurls), especially the ends. At the moment I just sleep with it loose... I'll probably try overnight oiling as soon as I buy some oil.

Madora
June 21st, 2012, 03:14 PM
Perhaps you could limit the conditioner you put on your ends...say do it once a week. Maybe you've got buildup and that is causing the crunchy ends. I never heard of anyone waking up to find crunchy ends!

My hair is loosely braided and then looped in a braided bun on top of my head. It is comfortable and detangling in the morning takes less than a minute.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/531braidedbedhair.jpg

bumblebums
June 21st, 2012, 03:25 PM
I sleep with my hair braided--or sometimes bunned on top of my head (not long enough to bun and braid, like Madora's :( )

On the night before hair wash day, I might oil the length and braid it about 2 hours before going to bed. I do this to give my hair a chance to absorb the oil and to lessen the amount of oil that ends up on my pillow. I use coconut oil and it is heavily comedogenic, so I don't want it on my face...

letibear
June 21st, 2012, 03:57 PM
I use a satin pillowcase, and before bed I'll finger comb my hair, put a small bit of oil, and braid it. I use a side braid.

swearnsue
June 21st, 2012, 04:01 PM
Your conditioner probably has protein in it. Sounds like what happened to me once!

MintChocChip
June 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM
I use a satin pillowcase, and before bed I'll finger comb my hair, put a small bit of oil, and braid it. I use a side braid.

Ooh, that's a good idea, I never thought to do a side braid before, but I always sleep to one side!

I normally oil the ends with coconut oil or sweet almond oil (alternate nights). I never bother with heavy oilings these days (used to do it 2 years ago after reading about it on an Indian haircare website :D) because I found it very hard to get rid of the next morning, however it did a world of good to my hair! If I had more patience and more time I would do more heavy oilings.

I either do one single loose plait once the ends have been oiled or two pigtails on either side. (Again loose!) I've found personally that loose plaits for me are better than buns in terms of de-tangling in the morning. However, I do miss the effect the bun would give to my hair. Ah well, you win some, you lose some. :shrug:

Astraea
June 21st, 2012, 04:26 PM
Your conditioner probably has protein in it. Sounds like what happened to me once!

Agreed!

Or perhaps:
--slip/mucilage build-up preventing moisture from getting to your strands?
--various alcohols in the conditioner?

In the past, ingredients like flax seed gel, glycerin - things others seemed to like - dried out my hair. Also plain coconut oil doesn't work for me, but what I do use has castor oil and also cupuacu and ucuuba in it (the latter reportedly hold moisture very well) and I think the results are very hydrating.

At night I leave my hair loose and sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase, my hair is more hydrated in the morning if braided or even with a scarf but I prefer it loose.

pepperminttea
June 21st, 2012, 04:31 PM
If it's not the conditioner, my bet would be on your sheets, assuming they're not satin too. I've had a similar problem lately; my silk pillowcase has done wonders for preventing my roots from matting and tangling so much, but my braided length and ends really don't like rubbing against my cotton sheets all night; dries them out something chronic, and tangles them (I'm amazed at the tangles that can form in a few inches of loose hair).

Something I've been trying lately is a tail sock, sort of. I found a rectangular silk scarf in a charity shop/thrift store (100% silk for £1 - score!), folded it length ways, and sewed the edges down the open side, and at the bottom, making it into a long bag. For a couple of weeks, I've been wearing it over my braid with a scrunchie tied over the silk at the base of my braid to hold it on. It sometimes slips a little, but my ends seem much happier with the arrangement, and are much less dry in the morning. :) It's like a mini-silk pillowcase, just for the length. :D

nobeltonya
June 21st, 2012, 04:44 PM
I oil just about every night, and lately have resorted to a bun with spin pins to sleep. Otherwise, I braid it, but sometimes there are way too many loose hairs and my ends stick together too much. So I'd usually rather not do it. :disco:

starry
June 21st, 2012, 04:48 PM
my hairs not heaps long at all but I use a satin pillow case- its good for wrinkles too. I dont put my hair up even though it fits- I think I'll do two braid and plaits either side for my wavy hair in a few months when it fits.

I dont add oil or conditioner as I'm water only. Its done wonders for my curly/wurly/wavy dry ends not using anything else... once the sebum gets to the ends its a super moisturiser!

battles
June 21st, 2012, 05:01 PM
I use shea butter rather than conditioner. Conditioner always makes me crunchy unless its kept covered. The shea butter tends to melt right in and I wake up with really soft ends.

Bopoluchi
June 21st, 2012, 10:54 PM
I've been sleeping with my hair braided on a silk pillowcase but i like pepperminttea's idea of a silk hair sock. thanks for the tip, i might give that a shot.

for my ends, i seal them by soaking in water for a bit, gently squeezing out the excess and applying sesame or olive oil. this works so well that i only need to do it once a week or so. got the idea from my fav hair blog, check it out for full instructions: http://urbanbushbabes.com/?p=9584

catamonica
June 23rd, 2012, 11:57 AM
I wear a braid & sometimes a braided bun.

jeanniet
June 23rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
I have a silk pillowcase and a silk beanie. I can't leave my hair uncovered, even in a braid; it tends to escape and tangle too much, and I don't like bins on my head at night.

jacqueline101
June 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
I don't oil before bed wear it in a loose bun. I'm going to try the sleep cap I found a mesh one maybe my head won't get too hot in it.

Honey_Bear89
June 23rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
Lately, I have been sleeping with my hair in a high bun.
I use coconut oil on the nights before a shower. (about every other day)

I used to have a ton of split ends from over coloring. Using the coconut oil has really helped my hair. I was finding ends that had multiple splits and now I can barely find any splits at all!

einna
June 23rd, 2012, 03:57 PM
I use a polyester satin pillowcase, and I wear twin braids. However, now that my hair is longer, I feel I need to do more to protect the ends and even lenght, as I sometime lay on my braids, and the ends reach my cotton sheets.
Considering trying bunning or a sleep cap, or maybe make a braid sock as suggested in this thread.

anitacs9101
June 25th, 2012, 12:04 PM
no suggestions but I've always wondered about this! I used to wear a cinnabun at night, with hair sprayed slightly damp so when it dried it the morning I'd have glooorious waves! however I always felt like tossing and turning with my hair tied up tight was just going to cause breakage so I started sleeping with a loose scrunchie pony but it would always come undone and I missed only having to brush my hair for a minute. :( I would braid my hair, but although I do like the wavy look braids give I dunno if I'd want it every day :p I use a little itty bitty bit of coconut oil, or more if I'm going to wash the next day. :)

snowcloud
June 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
watermelon seed oil!!

dwell_in_safety
June 25th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I use a satin pillowcase and always do a braided bun atop my head. My hair never takes more than a minute or two to detangle prior to putting it an updo the next day.