PDA

View Full Version : Time to change up my hair routine!

BigDreams
June 21st, 2012, 07:07 AM
Hey all! It has been way too long since I've visited LHC. Work has me running around like a mad woman!
I measured my hair the other day... 29.5"! The longest it's been since I was a child! WOOHOO!

However my hair and scalp are starting to have some issues, which means a change of routine is in order!

I'm going to be very very broke for the next couple of months, so the cheaper the better!
Since I'm extremely active, I sweat a lot and have found if I don't use shampoo every other day, my hair gets pretty gross. I use Alba shampoo, and any conditioner. I sleep with my hair in a bun, and always put in coconut oil after I wash it. I try to keep my hair up when I can, but it's usually a pony tail.

My hair is starting to get dry again. My scalp has also been doing funky things, it gets SO ITCHY and I have major dandruff.

My goal is to learn more hairstyles to help keep it out of the way. Occasionally I'll braid my hair, and that is a pretty intense hairstyle for me!

Any suggestions for how I can help my angry scalp?

LaFlor
June 21st, 2012, 07:17 AM
Have you tried soaking your scalp in coconut oil before you do a wash? I've heard people having good results with that... plus it's cheap and can be found at a lot of stores now :blossom:

ariesfairies
June 21st, 2012, 07:22 AM
Mmm I've been getting angry dandruff back again myself... doing a tisane mix of black tea and roobios tea seemed to quell it for my last wash, however don't trust me on that yet - I still need to test out the variables and try for a second wash once it ever flares up again =P But give it a go if you've got some teabags floating around!

Buns, braids, pony tails... I don't know myself where it can get much different than that for casual wear, someone can be more creative than me with suggestions, but whenever I wanted to change something up, its usually either swapping my hair scrunchie for a hairstick for my buns, or bung it up with a big clip etc.

linnepinne
June 21st, 2012, 07:43 AM
I second the oiling before washing. I like Argan and Olive oil both for my scalp and length. I also suggest looking into some sulphate-free shampoo. In my experience they are much milder and don't dry out your scalp and hair as much, but still cleanse very well. Be sure to shampoo twice with sulphate-free though, or else it wont clean as well (the fsirt time only brakes the suface), but use a small amount each time (I use about a nickle-size dollop). Good luck!

jojo
June 21st, 2012, 09:28 AM
ACV rinses are brilliant for itchy scalps or even monistat; this will also get rid of dandruff too!

well done on reaching 29.5" you are well and truly a long hair!