PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair Stories?

MestizoGypsy
June 20th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Hey y'all! I was just thinking about my own reasons for always wanting longer hair, and was curious about you ladies (and men) and what your motivation might be. What made you want to grow your hair so long? I'd love to hear :)

Hollyfire3
June 20th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Piper from Charmed...seriously though, I've always wanted and loved long hair, so I'm getting it..slowly.:) welcome Welcome to LHC!!!!!!

MestizoGypsy
June 20th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Thank you for the welcome Hollyfire3 =)

IvanaGil
June 20th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I actually grew my hair out "by accident" kind of. I got a shoulder length cut when I was ten and I hated it so much that I literally spent years keeping my hair in a bun and the next thing I knew (when I finally wore it down) I was at tailbone! Now, I'm obsessed with it lol. Before that stupid cut, I have always had long hair, so there wasn't really motivation, it was more like my mom forbade me from cutting it hehe. She still does and I'm 20 lol (not that I would ever cut it again). Long hair has always been a part of my look, I guess.

ladylowtide
June 20th, 2012, 10:40 PM
My longing for long hair seems to have come from a combination of watching Tangled, lurking on LHC, wanting belly dancer hair, watching too much Game of Thrones....

You know what, I think that it probably boils down to wanting look like princess. :p

Hollyfire3
June 20th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Thank you for the welcome Hollyfire3 =)

Your welcome, I hope you love it here!:D

MestizoGypsy
June 20th, 2012, 10:42 PM
IvanaGil I love it!! I had very very long hair as a little girl, but when I was 9 or 10 my Mom decided I was old enough to make my own hair decisions, and I chopped it to a chin length bob. Mom loved it- she had had waist length hair til she had kids, but she never really cared about it that much. I didn't love it so much, so I spent years on and off trying to grow it out again.

KylieAnne
June 20th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I have fast growing hair, so it's easy for me.
I always had long hair when I was little, when I was 5 I got it cut so short part was buzzed. since then I've gone back and forth between long and short of varying degrees. right now is probably the longest it's been since I was very very young though :)

I grow my hair a decent length every other year or so and say I'm gonna grow it but cut it because I'm impatient. I really think I stuck with it this time because I was too lazy and cheap to get it cut. now I just love the length, it's a lot of work to have it long but to me it's worth it :D

AnqeIicDemise
June 20th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I had beyond classic hair as a kid. Mom couldn't take care of it and it was severely damaged form her yanking through my curls/waves. I hated fighting with my mom about brushing (yes, brushing! O.O;) my hair every day as it was a huge battle every morning. She'd yank and pull, I'd scream and cry. So I cut it chin length. I was six.

I then grew it out about WL by the time I was in my jr. year of HS. I fried it because of my own idiocy. I cut it pixie short and maintained the look for years.

DH heard of these two big chops and couldn't believe it. So he made me a bet that I wouldn't be able to grow it to my shoulder blades. I'm a few inches away from Buttcrack length (is that officially tail bone? ) now. We keep moving the bet for a different goal. I think he secretly wants me to go back to classic. :D

IvanaGil
June 20th, 2012, 10:58 PM
IvanaGil I love it!! I had very very long hair as a little girl, but when I was 9 or 10 my Mom decided I was old enough to make my own hair decisions, and I chopped it to a chin length bob. Mom loved it- she had had waist length hair til she had kids, but she never really cared about it that much. I didn't love it so much, so I spent years on and off trying to grow it out again.

Oh, our mothers and our hair :p My mom has always been overprotective of my hair. Which makes me wonder if there's something magical about it :hmm:
Growing it can be such a pain! I'm sure you'll reach your goal in no time :D

MestizoGypsy
June 20th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I feel like it grows so slow, but I absolutely relish it now. After 21 years of life, I've finally learned to embrace the natural straight texture, which was definitely a battle for me- I spent a whole year frying it up with the curling iron every day. I'm so glad I found this forum!! I don't know any girls who relish their hair like I do, but y'all seem to be on the same wavelength =)

saffy2yrs
June 20th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I grew up in a bob most of my life, and started growing my hair in High school/college. It made it to tailbone, and I decided to cut it to pixie. I realized I Hated short hair since I could not do anything with it. Now it is 11 years later and I have knee length hair. I am not sure how long I want it to get, but I love having long hair!

SongofLove
June 20th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Now it is 11 years later and I have knee length hair. I am not sure how long I want it to get, but I love having long hair!

Oooh...Are you going to post pics? :)

Elithia
June 21st, 2012, 02:24 PM
You know what, I think that it probably boils down to wanting look like princess. :p

No, totally, me too. :D

I was seriously sitting in a medieval history class and my professor was rambling on about how Germanic kings like Charlemagne had really long hair and beards, and I had just watched "The Two Towers" and I was like "you know what? I want hair like Eowyn's hair." Except dark not blonde, obviously.

Two and a half years later, trimless from chin length to hip, and counting. :)

thystle
June 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM
Well, I had long, curly waist-length hair up until second grade, when my mother chopped if off because I went to bed with chewing gum--you know where it ended up, right? She was so mad, I was surprised to have any hair left! Then it grew out, and over the years I kept it somewhat short.

Around seventh grade, I had a page boy cut that just touched my shoulders, and for some reason decided to grow my hair long again, and by my senior year I was maintaining at around tailbone. I got it cut again not long after I joined the USAF, because there were limited ways of keeping my hair above the required collar length, and it was another round of growing a bit and cutting short again. Throw in perms and dyes, and my head was a free-for-all. :)

Then about five years ago, I saw a student where I used to work who had ankle length hair (don't know for sure, but think she was following a religious teaching), and I wondered how long my hair would have been if I hadn't cut it way back in 1978.

It took about another year, but I started growing, and here I am, at age 54, with past-classic length. It's the longest I've ever had my hair.

I originally wanted to get Piper's hip length (hey, Hollyfire3!) , but decided to keep on and see if I could reach my original classic. Of course, I was looking at some Crystal Gayle videos earlier, thinking, hmm, I wonder... :D

Hollyfire3
June 21st, 2012, 05:56 PM
Well, I had long, curly waist-length hair up until second grade, when my mother chopped if off because I went to bed with chewing gum--you know where it ended up, right? She was so mad, I was surprised to have any hair left! Then it grew out, and over the years I kept it somewhat short.

Around seventh grade, I had a page boy cut that just touched my shoulders, and for some reason decided to grow my hair long again, and by my senior year I was maintaining at around tailbone. I got it cut again not long after I joined the USAF, because there were limited ways of keeping my hair above the required collar length, and it was another round of growing a bit and cutting short again. Throw in perms and dyes, and my head was a free-for-all. :)

Then about five years ago, I saw a student where I used to work who had ankle length hair (don't know for sure, but think she was following a religious teaching), and I wondered how long my hair would have been if I hadn't cut it way back in 1978.

It took about another year, but I started growing, and here I am, at age 54, with past-classic length. It's the longest I've ever had my hair.

I originally wanted to get Piper's hip length (hey, Hollyfire3!) , but decided to keep on and see if I could reach my original classic. Of course, I was looking at some Crystal Gayle videos earlier, thinking, hmm, I wonder... :D

Hi! Piper's hair is amazing!!! I want her hip length hair also, she's my main inspiration....you wanna hair type her for me?:D

thystle
June 21st, 2012, 06:29 PM
Well, I'm no expert on typing, but that woman's got some awesome hair, for sure.

Hollyfire3
June 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM
Well, I'm no expert on typing, but that woman's got some awesome hair, for sure.

She sure does! I suspect maybe its wavy naturally? I think its ii thickness, you agree?

MaryMarx
June 22nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
I blame Disney. :o

KAggs
June 22nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
I think the decision was final to grow out my hair was after I was growing out my pixie cut that I had in the summer of 2010. What swayed my decision was my friend's waist length hair. I seriously loooove it! And I thought, I can do that too! So why not? :) And it's keeping me busy and happy since I've graduated from college.

~honeyflower~
June 22nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
I blame Disney. :o

Me too, when Tangled came out :agape: I loved how healthy it looked and I did some research to figure out how to make it like Rapunzel's and came across here and I'm glad I did:D

LaFlor
June 22nd, 2012, 04:21 PM
I just want to be pretty and feminine :blossom:

jacqueline101
June 22nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
I had long hair in the past and missed it so I'm growing it out. I hope to have success in growing my hair.

betsb
June 22nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Have always been a LH girl but go in spirts where I get tired of it and cut or donate it. My hair is wavy and can get rather frizzy. OH prefers it long. I have had family members who really disliked it and would make fun of me. I'm not sure why or where that came from but I'm the only one in my family that has grown her hair long.

hinkypunki
June 22nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'm with you guys on the whole princess thing :p
What's been motivating me now is mainly the fact that I'm never really happy with my hair after a haircut, plus I'm kinda broke all the time, so in general I find it a waste of hair and money.
Aaaaand wonderful bun and braid tutorials on youtube, which require longer hair than I have.
Aaaaand Game of Thrones. And Lord of the Rings.

4C4rly4
June 22nd, 2012, 07:15 PM
I've wanted long hair since I was a kid, but I never had the patience for it. But now I've finally decided to stick to my goal of growing it to Classic length.

SlipJig
June 22nd, 2012, 07:41 PM
I am echoing many of the posts before me as I say princesses! Lord of the Rings! Game of Thrones! Disney!

I will add the Katniss braid to my list of hairspirations.

My hair at its longest was never much more than APL. No idea why I didn't go longer, as it was always thick, nice, healthy, shiny... perhaps it was the thickness and my mum's and my own lack of hair skills that got me, as all I knew to do with my hair was ponytail or down. Regardless, as a high school fresher, discontented and wanting to be edgy, I cut it to a pixie.

Fast forward to college. I have acknowledged my desire for long, luscious locks with which I can ensnare unsuspecting men (not really... or only metaphorically, maybe a bit). I want to regain the feeling of femininity that long hair seems to contribute to. And really, I want some change. And a Katniss braid.

MestizoGypsy
June 22nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
I love everybody's Disney princess dreams :) For me it was Pocahontas, the only Disney Princess of my childhood that looked remotely like me at all, haha. Even for a cartoon she has gorgeous hair!

Lady Neeva
June 22nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
Hmmm, I have a thread similar to this on the Friendship board...
I blame it on Star Wars (And Enfys)

ScarletRose
June 22nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
I have always loved Piper's hair too! But more recently, I have been admiring Emma's hair on Once Upon A Time, it's so pretty. Oh! And I just watched a movie the other day with Amanda Seyfried in it and her hair is always so long and gorgeous!
I have always long hair off and on throughout most of my life, but now I'm finally done experimenting and I just want my hair to be healthy and beautiful. I'm so excited to grow it out :bounce:

starry
June 22nd, 2012, 11:55 PM
I'm doing it for myself! Its like a hobby and something I can do just for myself
I chopped it all off when I was 14 and kept chopping and dyeing it- now I'm just over it and want to let it grow!

RileyJane
June 29th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Oh boyyy do I have reasons :P

Disney for starters ( why did they have to give the princesses such beautiful long hair?!)

Next would be my own pictures. My hair was always long and it wasnt until less than 10 years ago ( i really forget when ) i needed a changed and cut it to my shoulders. loved it, but my hair has such nice natural waves that are only voluminous when my hair is long, fancy that!

Also, Im seriously soooo done with all of the colors and heat damage i have out my hair through, its not worth it!

But mainly, Im doing it for me, and plus when I clipped in my hair extensions I ordered, I was way more confident... and I realized I looked like me again. Sounds weird....but true :P

I dont really care how long it takes me to grow my hair back ( my mother told me it took 5 years the last time ) so long as its past my bust line veryyy veryyy soon :/ it is BSL, but still looks shoulder length due to all my layers (boooo)

Anywho, I cant wait to see what this long jouney has in store for me :)

Hollyfire3
June 29th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Yay! Another Piper admirer! With Charmed on dvd, I can admire her hair whenever to want lol!

neko_kawaii
June 29th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I have long hair out of laziness mostly. Historically, I'd want a certain short hair cut and that would be it but I was too lazy (and poor) to maintain that cute short style. My hair was waist length right before my son was born and I decided I wanted hair that was easy to take care of once the baby was born. Before the baby shower a friend and I went to a used book store and bought a selection of fashion magazines and at the baby shower had everyone flip through and tear out short styles they thought I would look good in. I picked the one I liked and donated the long braid.

Fast forward four months and it was in my face, on my neck and greasy because it was so hard to find time to shower, all of which I realized wouldn't have been a problem with long hair. Thus the conscious decision to keep it long in the future.

Fast forward three years and my waist length hair and I stumbled across LHC. My life has been peppered with acquaintances with ankle length hair. My mother has slow growing curly hair and would occasionally remark how much she wished her hair grew as fast as mine and in the same breath bemoan that "trim" a friend gave her in high school which transformed her waist length curls to shoulder length. Thirty years later her hair has reached tailbone length. So, I started to wonder, just how long can mine get?

auroraclio
June 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I've had short hair for the last 10 years, time for a change :)

GoblinTart
June 29th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Years of not knowing how to really take care of my hair, or being in situations where I couldn't take care of it. Plus pregnancy, nursing, stress, then pregnancy again and nursing and stress, a couple chops along the way to get rid of damage.

But now, I know how to take care of my hair to achieve my goals. I think the longest I ever had was maybe an inch or 2 beyond BSL.

Movies are a big influence. I want hair like....omg, can't think of her name....google help me...Catherine Zeta-Jones! In Mask of Zorro. So long that it covers her chest. I don't know, it just looks alluring and beautiful to have hair like that.
I want a bun when I'm old. Somehow, old women who have long hair hidden on a bun, it just gives them a regalness that the old lady bouffant doesn't.
Period movies. There's a woman whose hair has been up the entire movie, and then they show her in night clothes, and her hair is a curtain down her back, or in a long braid. Just breathtaking to me.

My dad is a big influence. He loves long hair. He'll tell you about every long haired woman he's met, how her hair was, how healthy, how it moved, etc. He gets rather poetic.

And Disney.. darn you Disney and your long haired princesses!!!

MestizoGypsy
June 30th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Period movies. There's a woman whose hair has been up the entire movie, and then they show her in night clothes, and her hair is a curtain down her back, or in a long braid. Just breathtaking to me.

Ahhh the period movie thing is something I hadn't thought of myself, but I looooove that about period pieces! They have these amazing regal buns and crazy updos, and then they let their hair down and it's just long and breathtaking. I was just watching 'Legends of the Fall' and both of the female leads have hair like that.

MestizoGypsy
July 13th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I've been letting my threads die, that's no good! Anyone have anymore long hair stories?

Unzadi
July 13th, 2012, 11:34 AM
For me, it's part fairy tale influence, part historical books/movies/pictures, adn part because long hair always felt right. I was made to have a bob after a horrendous case of chicken pox and it felt like I was in the wrong body, being unable to make braids or buns or feel the hair on my shoulders and back. I wouldn't fit in any of the historical eras I loved, or as a mermaid, fairytale princess, etc. So, long it grew again and long it will stay. It's part of me.

Jenw777
July 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I always loved it. When I was young, the movie Fly Away Home made me want longer hair again because Anna Paquin looked lovely. Disney Princesses, Every movie where someone's hair is down their back. And I've always always always thought long hair brushing the back of your jeans, or being long enough to cover the girls was unbelievably sexy.

My family was/is Amish. When I was about 12, I saw my aunt out in the yard with her hair down, and it was beautiful, thick, dark brown, and to her calves. I had never seen it down before that or since, but I tucked it away into my memory about how beautiful she looked with her hair and her long dress with barefeet peeking out.

Elithia
July 13th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Aaaaand wonderful bun and braid tutorials on youtube, which require longer hair than I have.

Yeah, this too! At APL my thick hair wouldn't go up into ANYTHING and I had to content myself with drooling over YouTube videos and wondering why it was taking so long. Two years later I suddenly realize I'm as long as a lot of tutorial people! :) (Obviously not long for LHC. But maybe someday ....)

Hmmm, I have a thread similar to this on the Friendship board...
I blame it on Star Wars (And Enfys)

Tangent: I always loved Leia's different braids. But then there's that one segment in Return of the Jedi when she wears her hair down in the Ewok village, and it's thin, frizzy, and not even that long. A far cry from those massive, glossy buns! DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Ever After was always inspiring for me ...

And though their hair isn't that long, I LOVE the curly updos in a lot of regency films. Particularly the Emma Thompson Sense and Sensibility.

racrane
July 13th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Simply put, I think long hair is pretty and I have fun playing with different styles.

owlathena
July 13th, 2012, 06:14 PM
When I was 17 I modeled for a hair salon and they cut my hair to my ears and dyed it a dark purplish color. I hated it! Ever since then I've wanted to grow it "back" out (it was about apl, which felt long at the time). Its now way longer than its ever been but I still haven't been completely satisfied with it since then. My inspiration is everywhere! People, pictures, movies, lhc members, etc. I bookmarked a bunch of hairspiration photos a couple years ago, and now my hair is longer/better than most of them :D

Ciridae
July 13th, 2012, 06:28 PM
For me, long hair has always been feminine and beautiful. DH loves 'princess hair' too, which helps with the motivation! I started growing my hair from a chin length bob in 2010, but last year I was one of the 54 people who caught Measles in New Zealand, sparking a National epidemic alert, lol. I ended in hospital for a week, and the severe skin inflammation left me with hair falling out in massive handfuls. :(

I started growing it again after a chop back to chin length at the start of this year to even out the unintentional layers and it is just past shoulder now. Hoping to get to tailbone by my 40th birthday, but I somehow seriously doubt I'll make it hehe.

digginit
July 19th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I have wanted to grow long hair for a long time. When I was little I wanted ninja hair then it was a ponytail to be like a pirate. In junior high one of my friends had long hair and I wanted to grow it long like him. I actually "tried" a number of time in high school but always ended up cutting it before it got to long because of the heat and getting annoyed with it. One time I just cut the bangs back so they would be out of my face but ended up with a version of a mullet and cut it all off. Finally I set a goal when I left for college and have followed through. Now my mom just laughs at how long it took me to finally get it long, but she actually likes it.

LadyTheta
July 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I'm simply a longhaired person.
I first let my hair grow long, i.e. from chin length to APL, in university, and kept it long for years thereafter. I wore it layered in the 1980s, which was fun. (Some of you have enough decades behind you to recall the era of Big Hair in the 80s!;) .

Then in the mid-1980s, I got a university teaching position in China.
I mistakenly thought that a "really, really short" cut would be the easiest for me, to be living in a tropical climate. Oh, what a mistake!! Not with my curly-wavy hair!

And, the water in China, high in iron, over time turned my hair from natural ash blond, to a reddish color, with which I was not pleased! After my year's teaching contract was completed, and en route home to the U.S., I got at least a 'decent haircut' in Hong Kong. I couldn't wait to get back into the care of my hairdresser of more than 10 years, at home!

Once I got back home to Colorado, my hairdresser asked "And what are we going to do with your hair now?" --- and I said, "Help me to grow it out again, as painlessly as possible, please!" He smiled and simply said, "Good. I like that. I'm glad that you know that you're a longhair person."
He kept my wurly hair in attractive layers as it grew, so that I could wear it naturally curly (without being 'big') through the growing-again-long years --- which gave me *ooddles* of styling options daily! :) --- with lots of colorful &/or artistic hair combs, scrunchies, updos, etc.

Thus, by the 1990s, I was again a longhair naturally wurly, easycare --- (no straightening irons on the scene yet then!) And I've been happily long since then. ;)

domisimone
July 19th, 2012, 09:19 PM
My longing for long hair seems to have come from a combination of watching Tangled, lurking on LHC, wanting belly dancer hair, watching too much Game of Thrones....

I watched both seasons of Game of Thrones in a weekend, and watched Tangled the next day. I've always wanted long hair, but those tipped me over.

jadelouise
July 20th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I just want to look like a gothic mermaid really haha :) x

spirals
July 20th, 2012, 02:35 AM
When I was little I drew picture upon picture of princesses with long wavy hair. They also had enormous breasts, for some reason. I guess...be careful what you wish for? :lol: I later found out I had curls and was loving them at any length once I got help at nc.com. One day due to a link there, I think--ok, this was years ago--I came across Snow White's picture. She had tailbone at the time. I saw those long dark spirals and the image has been in the back of my mind ever since. If only I could have hair like that....

Seeshami
July 20th, 2012, 02:41 AM
I always threatened to do it so I could strangle people who made me angry.:eyebrows:

Now I do it because I can and it helps me keep up my reputation of being crazy. :cheese: