PDA

View Full Version : Bob with a shaved nape? Question.

icallitbliss
June 20th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Hey everyone! So I've finally managed to get my hair into an all one length bob! It's a little past ear length. Because I wanted it all one length and no layers, she had to cut and shave the nape up past my natural hairline to the length that I wanted. Which is fine with me, but I'm just wondering how the growback will be? Will my length cover up over the shaved spots, or will I just end up with another mullet in the end?

I was hoping this would be the last time I'd have to trim for awhile. When I try to put it up into a ponytail, there's still this little nub of hair down there. What do you guys think?

I've had this kinda of style before a looooong time ago, but it was way longer and can't remember how it turned out, unfortunately.

Here's some pics:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/TPhoto_00116.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/TPhoto_00120.jpg

akilina
June 20th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Cool you got a cut. It probably makes you feel alot better huh? Now you have like...a really good slate to just grow grow grow. :) It will cover the shaved spot as it grows.
How far up did you have shaved? I like to get my neck shaved. Mine has grown out about an inch now and I should shave it again. I hate those hairs, but I never go up at all. I did a long time ago and I hated how I had like a short sort of layer underneath the hair.Eventually I ended up cutting about 7 inches off to fix it to collar bone.
If it isn't that bad of a difference in lengths as it grows, I imagine that your hair will naturally curl under on its own because it will be sort of undercut.

icallitbliss
June 20th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Cool you got a cut. It probably makes you feel alot better huh? Now you have like...a really good slate to just grow grow grow. :) It will cover the shaved spot as it grows.
How far up did you have shaved? I like to get my neck shaved. Mine has grown out about an inch now and I should shave it again. I hate those hairs, but I never go up at all. I did a long time ago and I hated how I had like a short sort of layer underneath the hair.Eventually I ended up cutting about 7 inches off to fix it to collar bone.
If it isn't that bad of a difference in lengths as it grows, I imagine that your hair will naturally curl under on its own because it will be sort of undercut.

The hairdresser cut it a little bit of an inch above my natural hairline on my neck. It just sucks cause I did all this to have no layers, and I'm afraid I might have some little ones under all the hair. I hope I won't have to cut super short to even those out.

Or maybe I can just forget about them if the longer canopy can cover/hide them?

SerinaDaith
June 20th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I just got a bob about a month and a half ago to kill some damage and layers. Your hair should be just fine to grow and after awhile a straight trim will even you out again, in the meantime happy growing!

akilina
June 20th, 2012, 11:47 PM
The hairdresser cut it a little bit of an inch above my natural hairline on my neck. It just sucks cause I did all this to have no layers, and I'm afraid I might have some little ones under all the hair. I hope I won't have to cut super short to even those out.

Or maybe I can just forget about them if the longer canopy can cover/hide them?
Once you start to notice it as your hair gets longer (probably will be around shoulder) just micro trim it out. Luckily your hair is already short back there so there really will not be a huge difference I don't believe. :) The reason I had an issue with it because my hair was already well past APL when I decided to shave some of my neckline out. It was so so damaged that it was already short so I "helped" it along. Yeah right. >.<
I didn't mean to make it sound like it would be bad :flower:

MeowScat
June 21st, 2012, 01:09 AM
Holy cow your hair grew so much! I remember your post (a few months ago?) and you were dying to get it all to one length. I can't believe you did it that fast. How much does your hair grow per month?

I vote for no more shaving, just let it all grow and when your hemline gets uneven, microtrim. Just leave it alone for a few months, or maybe even longer. At the rate you're going, you'll reach your goal a lot faster than I originally thought.

Go you! Congratulations on conquering your layers. Doesn't it feel awesome?!

:)

Tisiloves
June 21st, 2012, 05:07 AM
Once your top's long enough an underneath shave should blend in fine as it grows, particularly as most people have shorter nape hairs.

spidermom
June 21st, 2012, 10:06 AM
Oh my goodness; I can't believe you did that. It's kind of hard to predict what hair is going to do as it grows - mine seems to grow a little faster on the right side - so I'd say keep an eye on it, and when you need a little trim to even things up, get one.

DreadfulWoman
June 21st, 2012, 10:21 AM
I've done the shaved-up-the-back bob before, and as it grew out the shaved part just gave me a bit of a "tail" back there. But by then the rest of my hair had grown past my hairline so I just snipped the tail off. You shouldn't even have to mess with the length of the rest of your hair.

Congrats on getting it all one length!

Wildcat Diva
June 21st, 2012, 10:37 AM
I like to get my neck shaved. Mine has grown out about an inch now and I should shave it again. I hate those hairs, but I never go up at all. I did a long time ago and I hated how I had like a short sort of layer underneath the hair.Eventually I ended up cutting about 7 inches off to fix it to collar bone.

I thought to treat those little nape hairs with monistat. No results to report yet, but I'm trying it. Maybe if they can get to be about 4 or five inches, they can be incorporated into most updos without noticing, I hope.

jacqueline101
June 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM
I'd say happy growing I've never had a shaved nape bob. I agree trim or micro trim as needed.

Seeshami
June 21st, 2012, 11:45 AM
I would grow to shoulder and then even out the hem line. Bob cuts always grew out weird on me. The only thing that grew out nice for me was my pixie, but that was so many layers I still have some.

XcaliburGirl
June 21st, 2012, 12:44 PM
I had mine short but not shaved. It did kind of turn mullet-ish again after a couple of months. I didn't cut again, though and now it's just a little unevenness at the bottom of my shoulder length hair.

If you figure that the hair at the bottom of your nape grows at the same rate as the rest of your hair, it's always going to be longer than the all-one-length hair above it. Once the bulk of your hair catches up to your hairline, you will need to cut again to make it all one length. It might still look OK as it grows, depending on where your hairline is, for example if you are 1 inch or less away. If you have more inches to go, you might need to deal with a little awkwardness or keep shaving the nape hair. (If you start 2 inches from hairline, in 1 month/.5 inch you will have 1.5 inch section of .5 inch-long nape hair still below the line of your bob.)