PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys recommend me a strong smelling condish?

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 10:30 PM
soooo when I used to wash my hair daily with nexxus shampoo, I always get compliments on how nice my hair smells. Now that I wash every two days, I feel like my hair either has no scent or it smells like sebum/oil :/ I have tried leave in conditioners, eos, different mists, but the scent fades quickly and it never smells as good as something like pantene or nexxus. So I want to find a conditiner that smells good, and the smell is strong enough to stay until my next wash. Any recommendations? It can be cone or no cone, but I guess no cone is better. And also I like floral smells, like the nexxus pro mend conditioner or the toadstool soap sexy girl scent:)

IvanaGil
June 20th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I don't know of any conditioners because I've had this problem my whole life. My entire body refuses to hold onto smells. But when I used cinnamon oil, that stuff stayed on my hair for DAYS! Even after two washes I could still smell it. If you like the smell of cinnamon, you could give that a try :)

KylieAnne
June 20th, 2012, 10:35 PM
what about just using perfume? I find that hair holds smell really well, if I want my hair to smell good I usually put a little perfume in my hair and braid/bun it for a while. take it down just before you go out or do whatever and your hair will really hold onto the smell. you could even put some essential oil in coconut or your favorite oil and put a little of that in your hair.

otherwise I don't know because I find all of the ones I use fade by the next day too :\

CurlyCap
June 20th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration for conditioner followed by Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum.

You end up smelling like a commercial about spring and fruit. People used to stop me all the time when I used these two together.

I actually bothered me, so I went and figured out what the combo was. :D

MestizoGypsy
June 20th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I don't know how you feel about dry shampoo, but the new Suave Keratin dry shampoo smells AMAZING. I use it for it's intended purpose, but if I run out of perfume I sometimes just spritz some where my hair meets my neck. It just smells so good!

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I don't know of any conditioners because I've had this problem my whole life. My entire body refuses to hold onto smells. But when I used cinnamon oil, that stuff stayed on my hair for DAYS! Even after two washes I could still smell it. If you like the smell of cinnamon, you could give that a try :)

I know right the smell of henna clings on to my hair and I hate it:( Not a big fan of cinnamon though:P

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 10:46 PM
what about just using perfume? I find that hair holds smell really well, if I want my hair to smell good I usually put a little perfume in my hair and braid/bun it for a while. take it down just before you go out or do whatever and your hair will really hold onto the smell. you could even put some essential oil in coconut or your favorite oil and put a little of that in your hair.

otherwise I don't know because I find all of the ones I use fade by the next day too :\

Doesnt perfume dry out your hair? Idk maybe im mixing something wrong but I never liked the smell of eos , idk they are too ...mature smelling?? I like scents like victoria secret perfumes

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 10:47 PM

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration for conditioner followed by Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum.

You end up smelling like a commercial about spring and fruit. People used to stop me all the time when I used these two together.

I actually bothered me, so I went and figured out what the combo was. :D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF HELLO HYDRATION! :D but the smell doesnt stay in my hair:( so I guess it might be the serum thats clinging on to your hair? I use serums too but those scents fades too, urggh:(

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I don't know how you feel about dry shampoo, but the new Suave Keratin dry shampoo smells AMAZING. I use it for it's intended purpose, but if I run out of perfume I sometimes just spritz some where my hair meets my neck. It just smells so good!

Thats a good suggestion! I will check it out next time I go to walmart xD

brave
June 20th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Doesnt perfume dry out your hair? Idk maybe im mixing something wrong but I never liked the smell of eos , idk they are too ...mature smelling?? I like scents like victoria secret perfumes

It can if it has alcohol in it. But maybe someone here can direct you towards EO mixes that smell more like traditional perfumes.

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 10:54 PM
It can if it has alcohol in it. But maybe someone here can direct you towards EO mixes that smell more like traditional perfumes.

another problem with eo is that they are very expensive :( Im broke lol

AnqeIicDemise
June 20th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I can give you quite a few since well, i *hate* strong smells (I get migraines) and I avoid the following brands like the plague because of its strong scent:

Biolage
Kerastase
herbal essences
garnier fructise
fekkai (sp?)
Bed head products.

Now that I think of it, most silicone-friendly products have strong smells.

My hair always smells like lavender since I spritz lavender water onto my scalp. I sometimes can't smell it myself but DH can as others around me.

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I can give you quite a few since well, i *hate* strong smells (I get migraines) and I avoid the following brands like the plague because of its strong scent:

Biolage
Kerastase
herbal essences
garnier fructise
fekkai (sp?)
Bed head products.

Now that I think of it, most silicone-friendly products have strong smells.

My hair always smells like lavender since I spritz lavender water onto my scalp. I sometimes can't smell it myself but DH can as others around me.

does bed head work well despite of scent? Thanks for the list though, I love herbal essence scents but they dont stay in my hair:((

IvanaGil
June 20th, 2012, 11:02 PM

I feel you there! They're way too expensive. I walk out of Whole Foods with an empty wallet lol

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I bought Suave's Sleek conditioner and the smell clung to my hair for days. lol For, like, four days after washing with it, and AFTER I washed with a different conditioner. I think the smell is still in my hair, and I just took a shower.

It's not really a floral smell, though. It's like a sweet, creamy, perfume smell. Personally is too strong for me. It did clean my hair well enough, but I don't see myself using it again (I have a very sensitive nose, is all).

*thinks* Uuhmm... Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner has lots of EOs in it, and it has a nice floral smell. On me, it kind of faded into a mild floral soap smell, which I like. ♥ However, it's not a good CO conditioner because it doesn't have anything to really emulsify dirt and oil off the scalp and hair. It's just water, EOs, extracts, and a couple of preservatives.

VO5's Freesia conditioner is strong smelling, and it has a nice floral scent (but still too strong for me, which might be a good thing for you). Suave Naturals has a conditioner called Everlasting Sunshine. It smells SO GOOD. A fruity flowery scent. I love it, but I didn't buy it because I already decided that I love my Suave Rosemary & Mint condish too much. lol

Hope that gives you some more options. :D

KylieAnne
June 20th, 2012, 11:09 PM

I never had a problem with drying, but you could always put a little oil of your choice on before you put the perfume on?

HintOfMint
June 20th, 2012, 11:11 PM
I noticed that you're familiar with Toadstool products, have you tried her deep conditioner? That scent lasts in my hair for days, it is very strong. I can put my hair up the next day and when I take it down, it's like it refreshes the scent and I smell it again. I love scents, so this is definitely a plus for me.

PS~ I don't know how strong or long lasting her perfume oils are, but it's just jojoba oil and fragrance, and it's relatively inexpensive.

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 11:15 PM
I bought Suave's Sleek conditioner and the smell clung to my hair for days. lol For, like, four days after washing with it, and AFTER I washed with a different conditioner. I think the smell is still in my hair, and I just took a shower.

It's not really a floral smell, though. It's like a sweet, creamy, perfume smell. Personally is too strong for me. It did clean my hair well enough, but I don't see myself using it again (I have a very sensitive nose, is all).

*thinks* Uuhmm... Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner has lots of EOs in it, and it has a nice floral smell. On me, it kind of faded into a mild floral soap smell, which I like. ♥ However, it's not a good CO conditioner because it doesn't have anything to really emulsify dirt and oil off the scalp and hair. It's just water, EOs, extracts, and a couple of preservatives.

VO5's Freesia conditioner is strong smelling, and it has a nice floral scent (but still too strong for me, which might be a good thing for you). Suave Naturals has a conditioner called Everlasting Sunshine. It smells SO GOOD. A fruity flowery scent. I love it, but I didn't buy it because I already decided that I love my Suave Rosemary & Mint condish too much. lol

thanks for the reply, I might try the suave one!! I have vo5 freesia and I do like the scent, but it made my hair feel nasty and coated, and the scent didnt last:( I will go look at the trader joe one if I go there next time:) where did you get the rosemary& mint condish? I never saw that one before:O

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I noticed that you're familiar with Toadstool products, have you tried her deep conditioner? That scent lasts in my hair for days, it is very strong. I can put my hair up the next day and when I take it down, it's like it refreshes the scent and I smell it again. I love scents, so this is definitely a plus for me.

PS~ I don't know how strong or long lasting her perfume oils are, but it's just jojoba oil and fragrance, and it's relatively inexpensive.

yes I got the shampoo, deep condish and leave in condish, which smells great the first day, then gone the next day:( maybe it is just a better idea to wash every other day instead of every 2 days

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 11:22 PM
thanks for the reply, I might try the suave one!! I have vo5 freesia and I do like the scent, but it made my hair feel nasty and coated, and the scent didnt last:( I will go look at the trader joe one if I go there next time:) where did you get the rosemary& mint condish? I never saw that one before:O

You can find Suave Professionals Rosemary & Mint at Walmart, Walgreens, Fred Meyer, and I'm sure many other grocery stores. It's usually in a green bottle and will come either in a family sized bottle or the usual 12.6 oz. bottle.

I love it because it smells mild and refreshing, gets my hair nice and clean, and leaves behind a sweet herbal smell. The smell doesn't last very long on me, but... well, that's just my experience. ;) If you want to try it out, it's not expensive. They recently had a sale at Albertson's: three 12.6 oz. bottles for $5!

allio21
June 20th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Anything that lasts in your hair for 2 days probably has a lot of artificial fragrance which has crazy toxic ingredients. Which also isn't good for your hair.

Have you ever tried Pacifica dry perfumes? They come in a little tin and looks kinda like lip balm. They're made with essential oils and they have LOTS of floral scents. But you could rub some of it on the ends of your hair. And you can carry it with you and reapply as you need. I know they sell Pacifica perfumes in Wholefood stores but I've seen them around randomly.

battles
June 20th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Why don't you try BPAL (http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/welcome.html) instead of EO's? They're perfume, but perfume oils so they shouldn't dry out your hair.

Also, they have a TON of amazing scents.

caadam
I got rose water, and when I spray it on my hair, the smell will last for about 4 days at the max. Rose water is actually pretty good for hair, at least for a good handful of people. It's left my hair soft and shiny and smelling like roses. :)

Helix
If you've got nothing against cones:

Dove intensive repair conditioner, (the original one in the blue bottle), smelt amazing and the scent lingered for days. Anyone standing withing two feet of me would tell me how great I smelled. Seriously. I bought that conditioner solely for the smell.

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 11:30 PM
You can find Suave Professionals Rosemary & Mint at Walmart, Walgreens, Fred Meyer, and I'm sure many other grocery stores. It's usually in a green bottle and will come either in a family sized bottle or the usual 12.6 oz. bottle.

I love it because it smells mild and refreshing, gets my hair nice and clean, and leaves behind a sweet herbal smell. The smell doesn't last very long on me, but... well, that's just my experience. ;) If you want to try it out, it's not expensive. They recently had a sale at Albertson's: three 12.6 oz. bottles for $5!

thanks for the suggestion, Ill definitely look for it!:)

akilina
June 20th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Sometimes I spray perfume into my hair. Not like directly in. I will spray the air then shake my head in it or walk past it. Im sure it looks funny. Or sometimes I hold my arm as high as I can and spray a pump above my hair. Not a big deal.
Its not like I am drenching my hair in it so I never notice drying.

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Anything that lasts in your hair for 2 days probably has a lot of artificial fragrance which has crazy toxic ingredients. Which also isn't good for your hair.

Have you ever tried Pacifica dry perfumes? They come in a little tin and looks kinda like lip balm. They're made with essential oils and they have LOTS of floral scents. But you could rub some of it on the ends of your hair. And you can carry it with you and reapply as you need. I know they sell Pacifica perfumes in Wholefood stores but I've seen them around randomly.

are they intended for hair ? they sound great I might look it up:)

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Why don't you try BPAL (http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/welcome.html) instead of EO's? They're perfume, but perfume oils so they shouldn't dry out your hair.

Also, they have a TON of amazing scents.

Ive heard of BPALs before but not sure what they are....do you have to mix BPALs together or with some other oil? or can I just buy one BPAL and apply it straight ? Are they expensive because I barely have 10 dollars ...-.-

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I got rose water, and when I spray it on my hair, the smell will last for about 4 days at the max. Rose water is actually pretty good for hair, at least for a good handful of people. It's left my hair soft and shiny and smelling like roses. :)

omg im so jealous -.- rose water last about 1 min in my hair:( I use it as a face toner now, I tried spraying some on my hair but it felt like just water o.o

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Sometimes I spray perfume into my hair. Not like directly in. I will spray the air then shake my head in it or walk past it. Im sure it looks funny. Or sometimes I hold my arm as high as I can and spray a pump above my hair. Not a big deal.
Its not like I am drenching my hair in it so I never notice drying.

Ive done that too but I still feel a bit concerned, would like more safe ways for hair to smell good xD

battles
June 20th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Ive heard of BPALs before but not sure what they are....do you have to mix BPALs together or with some other oil? or can I just buy one BPAL and apply it straight ? Are they expensive because I barely have 10 dollars ...-.-

I sometimes mix them with another oil so I can do a scented oiling, but I've just applied them very lightly straight as well. They're in a carrier oil already, I believe. :) Once in awhile I'll add a little bit to a bath as well and it does a nice scented bath.

They sell samples for I think 4 USD each, but if you keep an eye on the swap board sometimes someone will be selling a few of the "imps" (sample sizes) for cheaper.

Zhennni(:
June 20th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I sometimes mix them with another oil so I can do a scented oiling, but I've just applied them very lightly straight as well. They're in a carrier oil already, I believe. :) Once in awhile I'll add a little bit to a bath as well and it does a nice scented bath.

They sell samples for I think 4 USD each, but if you keep an eye on the swap board sometimes someone will be selling a few of the "imps" (sample sizes) for cheaper.

thanks a lot!:) Ill research more on BPAL :)

AnqeIicDemise
June 20th, 2012, 11:56 PM
does bed head work well despite of scent? Thanks for the list though, I love herbal essence scents but they dont stay in my hair:((

Bed head works fine for most people. I can't handle the cones it just coats my hair and feels..icky.

The oatmeal one worked great on my DH until the buildup got him and he swore he was balding again. -snirk- The smell was super strong. I had to beg him to stop using it because I couldn't handle the smell. lol

battles
June 20th, 2012, 11:56 PM
thanks a lot!:) Ill research more on BPAL :)

You're welcome. :)

morrigan*
June 21st, 2012, 12:01 AM
Aubrey organics Honeysuckle rose has very strong smell that lingers in hair.

Zhennni(:
June 21st, 2012, 12:21 AM

Ive heard alot about that condish, I must try it!

Vampyria
June 21st, 2012, 12:47 AM
Aubrey Organics GBP stays longer than Honeysuckle for me. Well actually I haven't smelt Honeysuckle on my hair at all, but I have smelt GPB for two days. Unfortunately they have changed ingredients in both now.

akilina
June 21st, 2012, 12:49 AM
Ive done that too but I still feel a bit concerned, would like more safe ways for hair to smell good xD
I really only did it alot when I was working if I skipped on washing my hair that day because there is nothing worse than being up close and personal when you smell like stinky hair. :P
I will be lurking. I thought I was the only one who's hair started smelling oily and funky after a day or 2.
I wonder about maybe washing one day, and using no leave ins at all, and then the next day apply a little of a leave in or whatever else you wish that smells really good. :]

MeowScat
June 21st, 2012, 01:23 AM
The Loreal EverStrong line scent is pretty strong. But even when I use something with less scent I've found that sleeping with a silky sleepcap really keeps the scent in. Even on day two, when I take the sleepcap off in the morning, it's like the scent is refreshed.

Try the sleepcap with whatever products you choose. It just might help. Or maybe spray perfume inside the sleepcap and let it dry then put it on overnight. You'll get the scent without the fear of the alcohol drying your hair out. Keep the cap on until right before you leave the house, put it in a bun and when you arrive at whatever your destination is, undo the bun.

Othala
June 21st, 2012, 01:30 AM
Any of the Aveda conditioners, especially the Brilliant conditioner. Very heavily scented!

red-again
June 21st, 2012, 01:54 AM
I use toadstool hair stuff too, the miniskirt doesn't linger in my hair beyond day two so I just get a tiny bit of leave in on my palms tip my head upside down and smooth it over my npe hair - that was my lengths and crown stay fresh looking and my hair smells lovely

Tristania
June 21st, 2012, 08:13 AM
What's their new formula like though? I've only heard bad things about it, so I haven't dared try it yet.

LaFlor
June 21st, 2012, 08:26 AM
Sometimes I put some suave coconut conditioner in my hair as a leave in and it sticks around for a long time. When I find it doesn't smell strong anymore I just add a little more to the ends. mmm... I LOVE that smell. I also love how it smells after an SMT! If only it was strong enough to use as my regular conditioner! Plus its only $1!!!

SimplyViki
June 21st, 2012, 08:42 AM
Seconding BPAL. You can get the imps pretty cheaply on ebay, the BPAL.org swap section, or occasionally on our own swap board. For perfuming the hair, I've occasionally swiped the wand of a BPAL imp on my hand once or twice, then added a drop of jojoba oil, rubbed my hands together, and oiled my hair with that. Repeat as needed. The scents are very concentrated, so it is quite inexpensive.

Zhennni(:
June 21st, 2012, 08:45 AM
I use toadstool hair stuff too, the miniskirt doesn't linger in my hair beyond day two so I just get a tiny bit of leave in on my palms tip my head upside down and smooth it over my npe hair - that was my lengths and crown stay fresh looking and my hair smells lovely

Ill try applying it that way, I have the leave in in miniskirt also:)

Sundial
June 21st, 2012, 09:58 AM
L'oreal EverSleek! I'm not sure if their other range has the same staying power but I used this line and the smell sticks around

Scarlet_Heart
June 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM

You could try fragrance oils (http://www.subtlescents.com/Ladies-Perfume-Body-Oil-Roll-On-18-oz-_p_15.html). They're cheaper and alcohol free. Plus they have a lot of scents, some natural, some that are supposed to be similar to popular perfumes.

I have the coconut mango one, and mmmm... :cloud9:

Vampyria
June 21st, 2012, 11:03 AM
What's their new formula like though? I've only heard bad things about it, so I haven't dared try it yet.

They've put alcohol denat in it (drying alcohol) and it's pretty high on the ingredients list. Also some other ingredients have changed. Here is the thread about it:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=93675&highlight=aubrey+organics

In my country they still sell the old one. I haven't tried the new one, but I have tried one of their conditioner that also has alcohol denat. It was meant for dry hair, but it didn't seem to nourishing to me. Try to get some testers of it.

swearnsue
June 21st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Iv'e heard that Yes to Carrots conditioner has a very strong and yummy scent that lingers so much that scent sensitive persons don't like to use it.
You might like Monoi Oils. A little goes a long way and they smell wonderful.

Hollyfire3
June 21st, 2012, 11:31 AM

Oh my gosh, I bathe horses in the Everlasting Sunshine scent...its AMAZING smelling, my hands smell great after!!!