PDA

View Full Version : The June til Christmas Monistat challenge!

firevegan
June 20th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Anyone whose willing to try miconazole nitrate for hair growth please jump in! I'll be doing it 3 times a week until Christmas starting today with pictures every single month. My goal is shoulder length before Christmas! My starter pic is from a few minutes ago in my avatar. :)

Challengers:

mckenzie
carolinaberry
RileyJane
afu
momoftwo708
Nymfora
Ambystoma
giovanna93
Xxanderia
Veaslea93
Sassy9226
mojavewolf1
LaceyNg

If you're definitely in, let me know, and post a before picture.

mckenzie
June 20th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Hi, I'm in! I did my first application of Monistat last night, so this is perfect timing!

firevegan
June 20th, 2012, 09:46 PM
awesome! do you have a before picture

firevegan
June 20th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I just applied it to my scalp. It got in my new growth.. and I could barely get it evenly all over my head. I just slapped it on random places until it felt wet all over. Is that what you do? I'm kinda scared right now.. There is a chemical in my scalp. *anxious* lol

MestizoGypsy
June 20th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I've really been wanting to try this but I'm very nervous about putting a chemical like that on my head... especially when I'm already prone to bad headaches. Keep me updated about how it works!!

firevegan
June 20th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I've really been wanting to try this but I'm very nervous about putting a chemical like that on my head... especially when I'm already prone to bad headaches. Keep me updated about how it works!!

It's been on my scalp for a few. The worst part is the pre-nervousness but then once you just get used to it and realize you're going to have A LOT of hair growth, you just get used to it and feel better. I don't think I'm going to have a headache. I think the reason people get the headaches is because they don't dilute it with something (I diluted with water and argan oil) and just so you know they use this stuff in babys throat when they have thrush so if babys can handle it I'm sure I can. haha.

mckenzie
June 20th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Hi. I'll have to take a photo & upload it asap. I felt really nervous last night, right after I had applied. I used approx 2 inches of cream diluted with a few drops of water only. Took me a while to get it distributed all over my scalp. I did not get a headache, just felt a little woozy for a while. I kept thinking "what have I done.. what if my hair falls out...) After a while I kind of forgot about it though, and didn't rinse it out until today.
I haven't decided yet how often I should apply, for optimal effect and if I need to apply only on newly washed hair.
I put it on dry hair.

firevegan
June 21st, 2012, 10:15 PM
I didn't get a headache. my hair didn't fall out. no weird symptoms! woohoo!

carolinaberry
June 21st, 2012, 10:57 PM
I'm in. I'll post a pic and my mixture ingredients in a few minutes. My goal is BSL (top of BSL) by Christmas. I don't really get headaches with it. I get a headache almost every day, and the Monistat has not aggravated it at all.

ETA:
My mix is a daily portion of 2% or 4% Monistat (I use the applicator to measure), a teaspoon of MSM 1000mg powder (have no idea if this works topically), a couple of drops of African Pride Olive Miracle Anti-breakage Growth Oil, and a couple of drops of water to help dissolve the MSM powder-maybe a half-teaspoon? . I am sorry I don't have more accurate measurements...I do it by sight and it has been trial and error-when I first started Monistat in I think April, maybe March, it was so runny it saturated my hair...now my mix is thick and I just touch my fingertips to it and massage it onto my scalp, section by section. I've found the easiest way to apply is to put my hair in 2 french braids, and do one braid at a time-starting at the nape of my neck and unbraiding a tiny bit at a time and making sure I rub some on all the scalp between sections-I hold the rest of the braid up in one hand and that way it goes quickly and gets it all covered. I began using it again around June 2, and I apply at least every other day, sometimes daily. I don't always wash in between applications. If I'm not leaving the house, I can go a couple of applications before the oil makes my hair greasy. When I apply it right, i can leave my house the next morning and you can't tell. Here is a starting picture for today:

And for anyone who is interested, here are the ingredients to the African Pride Olive Oil I use:
Glycine Soja (soybean) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Persia Graissima (Avocado) Oil (contains Vitamins B2, D,A, E, K, and Potassium), linum Usitassimum (Flax) Seed Oil, Equisetum Hiemale (Horsetail) Extract, Silk Amino Acids, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Protein, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Hydorlysed Vegetable Protein, PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Phenyl Trimethicone, CI47000 (D&C Yellow 11), CI 61565 (D&C Green #6), TBHQ, Propylparaben, Parfum (fragrance), Lanolin Oil, C12-C14 Alkyl Benzoate

akilina
June 21st, 2012, 11:40 PM
I would like to jump in but for some reason after 3 years of having the knowledge of monistat, I still haven't tried it. I hope your thread stays up here and there so I can see your growth results :)
I am almost tempted to try it on my undercut I am growing out. It is almost almost almostttt touching 5 inches long. I quit shaving in November.
In the meantime I am experimenting with castor oil and EOs :)

firevegan
June 21st, 2012, 11:48 PM
carolinaberry- how many inches a month has it been giving you? and MSM does work but it dries my hair out even though it gives an inch every 2-3 weeks.

akilina- so your undercut has been growing since november? That's about the time my hair got cut to about 2 inches and I've only got a few inches since then. How many have you got?

akilina
June 21st, 2012, 11:56 PM
carolinaberry- how many inches a month has it been giving you? and MSM does work but it dries my hair out even though it gives an inch every 2-3 weeks.

akilina- so your undercut has been growing since november? That's about the time my hair got cut to about 2 inches and I've only got a few inches since then. How many have you got?

Do you mean how many inches long is it...or...???
Well, the undercut is almost 5 inches long now. In November I shaved it to 1/4 of an inch long. I havent touched the actual old shaved part since then. I have tried to keep it a good shape but this is the worst thing to ever grow out. It is all getting better from here though as it grows longer.
That is interesting about the MSM drying your hair. I wonder why it does that to you. I started taking it but haven't noticed anything good or bad yet.

firevegan
June 22nd, 2012, 12:05 AM
It only dried out my hair because it was in a shampoo called Nisim Fast, and yeah sorry for putting that the wrong way, I was just asking how long it is. It seems to be as long as my bangs. I thought your hair looked awesome shaved in your pics though. =]

carolinaberry
June 22nd, 2012, 12:10 AM

I really don't know b/c I lost my measuring tape. But, here is a pic from April 8 (I applied it the first time on April 6-I looked it up):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10130&pictureid=130449

And I stopped using it from April 11-June 2 because we were in the middle of moving. There is a pic in the "Calling All Growing from Shoulder to APL" that shows my past week's growth. here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33961&page=494)

akilina
June 22nd, 2012, 12:14 AM
It only dried out my hair because it was in a shampoo called Nisim Fast, and yeah sorry for putting that the wrong way, I was just asking how long it is. It seems to be as long as my bangs. I thought your hair looked awesome shaved in your pics though. =]
Thanks =D I loved it. I don't have very thick hair so it really took alot out of the over all look having such a big chunk shaved out. And now my bf finally tells me that he didnt like it at all when I shaved my head.

firevegan
June 22nd, 2012, 12:59 AM
wow carolinaberry, that's A LOT of growth, for (i calculated) 24 total days of using monistat. Did you say you apply it every day? I might do that. How much do you use each day? I'm afraid I might be using too little.

alkilina, I read that in one of the threads, that he told you by the pool. That's nice of him to hold out until you stopped doing it, my fiance tries to convince me to wear extensions, lol. I don't mind though. Maybe clip in's would fill in where you used to shave until it grows out. But you've probably already tried them

carolinaberry
June 22nd, 2012, 01:11 AM
I just use enough of my mixture to cover my scalp. I sometimes premix several days worth-I use the applicators to measure out the Monistat. Then I add the MSM powder, Olive Oil stuff, and a bit of water and mix to a gel-like consistancy. I dip the very tip of my right index finger in the mixture so just a dot of the mixture is on it and massage into the section...it usually takes about 3 tiny "dots" per section to go over the whole line of scalp, then I section off another piece of hair and a few more dots, rub that in, section, dot, rub, etc. So, if you use the Monistat applicator, that's plenty for a whole scalp. I find that mixing it with the stuff I use makes it easier to apply, but I'm sure plain Monistat will work.

ETA: I try to use it daily, but I make sure to use it at least every other day. It does take me probably a half-hour to apply it, but to me it is worth it. My husband has been gone this month, but he is in the Army and goes to bed way earlier than I do anyway, so I usually apply it after he's asleep.

carolinaberry
June 22nd, 2012, 01:16 AM
I just applied it to my scalp. It got in my new growth.. and I could barely get it evenly all over my head. I just slapped it on random places until it felt wet all over. Is that what you do? I'm kinda scared right now.. There is a chemical in my scalp. *anxious* lol
It gets in like the first 1/8-1/4" of my new growth. I don't fret over it. And I had to apply it several nights until I found the right mix and technique to use to get my entire scalp without soaking my hair or using too much Monistat.

Also, I have no idea if the MSM powder is helping...I bought it to ingest but knocked it over and spilled it so couldn't eat it after it had been all in the dry sink...so I scooped it up and use it topically now. I started adding MSM June 2. I think maybe it isn't drying for me b/c I use that Olive Oil mixture.

mckenzie
June 22nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
I've been applying it 3 nights in a row, not sure if that is overkill, but I really want this to work!
For the record,I trimmed my hair before starting Monistat & my hair measures 23" which is barely armpit length on me (5'10").

jacqueline101
June 22nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
I already use monistat for over a year. I'm having to re grow some of my hair I started re growing it the first day of the month. I will try to put pictures up.

Silverbrumby
June 22nd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Been using it for about 3 months and so far no more growth than usual. In fact a bit less but that might have just been a stall.

Growth since March 13th 2012 - 1 inch total.

I'm going to keep using it for a while longer as I believe in giving things a good 12 month go through unless I get side effects.

mckenzie
June 22nd, 2012, 10:41 AM
jaqueline- Have you had good results so far? Thanks

Silverbrumby
June 22nd, 2012, 10:44 AM
Been using it for about 3 months and so far no more growth than usual. In fact a bit less but that might have just been a stall.

Growth since March 13th 2012 - 1 inch total.

I'm going to keep using it for a while longer as I believe in giving things a good 12 month go through unless I get side effects.

Silverbrumby
June 22nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
Weird. Double post.

Just wanted you to know. I went without Monistat for about 6 days because I'm traveling. Today I had a shed of about 350+ hairs. I did hear that this can happen when discontinuing it. I've gone back on it today but just wanted to mention the possible 'shed' when you stop it. It's just the hair you would have shed without it apparently.

mckenzie
June 22nd, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hm, at least 350 hairs shed? That makes me nervous, as my hair is very fine & thin to begin with.
If it really just is the hair that was supposed to have shed anyway, that makes it ok I guess, but I think I will research this further before continuing. Thank you for sharing Silverbrumby!

mckenzie
June 23rd, 2012, 04:12 AM
http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/81017092@N02/7424553064/in/photostream

mckenzie
June 23rd, 2012, 04:16 AM
Just tried to post a picture, obviously I was not successful. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks!

Allychan
June 23rd, 2012, 05:09 AM
I've used Monistat since starting my long hair growth challenge in Jan last year. I get an inch+/- every month. My damaged hair has grown heaps (I have cut back once and done several microtrims) I do other stuff as well as the Monistat 3x a week. Sometimes I've run out and had no major sheds from it. I've never had the headaches associated with it either even though I suffer from migraines twice a month.
I apply directly to my scalp by dabbing my fingertips into a glob on the bathroom sink then massage it all over my scalp. I rub coconut oil into my ends braid it and leave it in overnight.

christyrose
June 23rd, 2012, 10:30 PM
I have just started using monistat 4 days ago and I have used it twice since. My hair grew 1/4 to 1/2 inch, cant decide which for sure. I have super uneven short hair and I am going to grow it out more, get it cut to even it up, then grow it out to the shoulders then bsl is my ultimate goal for now.

I started taking biotin about a week ago, and I eat healthy and went back to natural on my hair so I am hoping to grow this out quickly.

Ambystoma
June 24th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I started using miconazole 2% every 3 days 22ish days ago and have got 1 inch so far:cheese:

I really want a good solid waist with waves by Xmas so I'll keep using it until then at least to see if the sped up growth keeps up.

red-again
June 24th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I started and stopped using miconazole nitrate about a month ago, only used it for a week and rainout, bought another tube and promptly lost it! Seeing this thread tempts me to try it again - oh buggervit I am going out later to get some, I really will stick to it this time!
I am about 2/3" from BSL on my longest layers but after a silly haircut in march, where the hairdresser cut my shortest face-framing layers to above chin....I know! And then micro trimming to get rid of the bleach bathed ends somewhat, etc, etc! I will be two steps forward , one back for some time I think! My hair does thankfully grow fast, I henna weekly because if not I get 4mm of silvers mixed with natural colour poking through! Thankfully henna is good for your hair!
Grow, grow, grow!! good luck everyone.
As of today, 24th June 2012 I measure 24"

firevegan
June 25th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I have nearly HALF an inch, in 3 days. In these three days I used monistat once and I've been turning my head upside down, and massaging it every night. I'm going to try cayanne pepper scrub tonight with coconut oil and follow up with monistat right after.

Unfortionately my roots are very dark compared to the rest of my hair. I'm trying to grow out bleach and damage. I guess this is a GOOD downside to monistat. I didn't expect so much new growth when I had NO dark roots nearly a week ago.

firevegan
June 27th, 2012, 04:19 AM
mckenzie- I'm not sure what's going on but I can't post pictures either :( I can't even upload them to my album or add one to my signature.

mckenzie
June 27th, 2012, 04:27 AM
OMG, you got almost 1/2 inch in 3 days? That's amazing! Congrats! I haven't measured yet, I will now!
It sucks with the pics, not being able to upload!

Ambystoma
June 27th, 2012, 06:59 AM
1 1/4 inch in 27 days woo!

mckenzie
June 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM

wow, that's great. :) I've been doing monistat for a week, definitely don't have any visible results yet. Will measure carefully later

christyrose
June 27th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I am getting my hair cut in a month as I am in the mullet stage right now! I will post a photo then, as of right now I have seen about 1/4 inch of growth using monistat for 6 days now. I was very skeptical at first, but even my husband says he sees a difference. The 1/4 inch happened the night after the first use, havent seen anything since, but I do notice that some hairs are growing at different rates, like out of the section I measure some hairs are 1/2 inch difference, but the hair closest to my hair line is only a 1/4 inch difference. I think I am getting less monistat at the hair line, or maybe it just naturally grows slower or something.

christyrose
June 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Awesome!! I hope I see as good of results so I can get at or close to shoulder length!

giovanna93
June 27th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I put Daktrin in my hair today for the first time. My longest layer of hair is around APL so im hoping for maybe BSL by christmas (im 4 foot 9 so its not much of a gap lol).

Here's hoping :)

RileyJane
June 27th, 2012, 03:57 PM
What tha hey, count me in! Although I don't think ill use it all the time from now til Christmas, I plan on using it at least for 3 months worth, by the deadline ill post pics since I'm not sure how to do it now, but I hope for amazing before and after pics! :)

red-again
June 27th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Well I bought it, have used it twice, massaged a slightly diluted with water cream into my scalp. I slept in in both nights and washed out next day. I can already see roots, my hair grows quite fast anyway but here's hoping!

afu
June 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I'm in :) I applied my first daktarin last night, about 1" of 2% cream mixed with about 2tbs water, mixed up and applied to scalp with a toothbrush :) I did find that it made my hair look greasy (probably poor technique) so after washing today I havn't applied to to my whole scalp again, I did apply some neat cream to my nape which im keen to thicken up though as it won't be too visably greasy! I'll probably do my next application tomorrow night (I may reduce the amount of water used) but after that i wont have chance until monday

mckenzie
June 27th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I measured after 7 days and...nothing! If there is anything at all it is too little to measure. :(

momoftwo708
June 28th, 2012, 12:20 AM
I'm in my hair been long for 5 years straight
Last two years I never trim and always dyes now two months till my
Wedding my hair broke off had it cut which look great month later it looks awful
Still thick on top so many short layers looks like my bottom longer hair is a few strands
I'm beyond depressed I'm prob at beginning of bsl not sure if that what
Upper bra strap is bsl or apl but ya my hair was wsl and crumbled up to wheee I'm at just scared of what happen when I was 16 from bleach my hair fall out to my ears
I even Had bald spot I'm done w dying hair. I am doing olive oil egg treatments and now started monistat and I also take biotin and prenatal vitamins so hopefully by september my hair grows atleast 2 inches

firevegan
June 28th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I put all of your names who are doing the challenge on the beginning post. Mckenzie, you should hang in there and see what happens after another week. Some people get lucky within the first week and some people the second. lol. I have a lot of new growth just from this challenge, so here's a pic: http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t430/HeatherHenna/noname.jpg

Before the challenge my roots were red forever and my hair just wouldn't grow.

momoftwo708
June 28th, 2012, 10:03 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/ir6qut.jpg
June photo I did it last night no water got a headache how many times will everyon be applying I'm gonna go for every other day

mckenzie
June 28th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I put all of your names who are doing the challenge on the beginning post. Mckenzie, you should hang in there and see what happens after another week. Some people get lucky within the first week and some people the second. lol. I have a lot of new growth just from this challenge, so here's a pic: http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t430/HeatherHenna/noname.jpg

I like that you put our names down :)

Nymfora
June 28th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I'm in as well :D I will hopefully be buying som this weekend and will start on either sunday or monday, but I'm definetly going to give this a try.

Nymfora
June 29th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Ok well I just picked up 2 packs of Monistat 7 in the 2% strength (all they had and they were on sale and yes the cashier gave me a funny look to lol) I applied it on my thinning area about 10 min ago, so begins my monistat journey :D I did do a evoo oil mix treatment on my hair yesterday before my wash so I'll be washing my hair either monday or tuesday maybe. Now to relax and enjoy this long weekend, I will probably apply a bit more tomorrow night maybe or go for every second or third night, what do you guys think??

momoftwo708
July 1st, 2012, 12:05 PM
How is everyone feeling about it so far, I have tiny roots coming in so maybe it's working

mckenzie
July 1st, 2012, 02:52 PM
How is everyone feeling about it so far, I have tiny roots coming in so maybe it's working

I have those coming in too, but I don't know if that was always happening, and I'm just paying more attention now? Would love if it's due to Monistat though!

Xxanderia
July 1st, 2012, 03:56 PM
I'm in! I currently have BSL wanting waist length. I've tried so many things (castor oil, carrot oil, biotin, etc.) Might as well try something new. I won't be able to pick up some until Tuesday, so I suppose I'm starting a bit late. Is there much of a difference between the 2% and the 4%?

Ambystoma
July 2nd, 2012, 02:18 AM
Here is a length pic from today - 2 July. I normally wear it wavy like this so it feels like a straight/wet pic is cheating :p.

http://i.imgur.com/g2cFH.jpg

I've had 1 1/2 inches since 2 June yay!

Ambystoma
July 2nd, 2012, 05:10 AM
I have to say though - that my results won't be 100% due to Miconazole, since at the same time I started it, I also gave up SLS and 'cones, started taking a hair and nails supplement and upped my protein with tuna and flaxseed omlettes. Also, there is the head massaging that goes along with the application, so in terms of fair trials it's kind of a bust :p. I used to get 1" a month though before the bleach disaster and about 1cm/month after, so something is working!

bunzfan
July 2nd, 2012, 05:48 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say this does indeed work i got at least a inch a month but i stopped because i got lazy about it, i do shakes now.

RileyJane
July 2nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Totally in and its seriously working!! Maybe my scalp needed more babying than I thought, but boy, it seriously made my scalp look and feel the best ive seen it, and ive got an inch so far!

crossing my fingers im not dreaming.... Christmas here i come!:) good luck to everyone here including firevegan! :D

mckenzie
July 2nd, 2012, 01:27 PM
Here is a length pic from today - 2 July. I normally wear it wavy like this so it feels like a straight/wet pic is cheating :p.

http://i.imgur.com/g2cFH.jpg

I've had 1 1/2 inches since 2 June yay!

You have beautiful hair, and congrats on your growth!

Nymfora
July 2nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
Question, I' am using the cream from a monistat 7 pack that has the suppositories in it as well. Do they contain the 2% MN as well? And if so could i use those aswell? That is of coaurse if I could figure out how to soften them up lol. TIA :o

carolinaberry
July 5th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Here is my growth from June 3-July 4. I don't know how many inches.

Veaslea93
July 5th, 2012, 02:37 AM
I'm in! Just started this week, but in the UK we can't get Monistat so I've been using Daktarin 2%, and my hair is currently 17'' long from my hair line, fingers crossed it works aswell for me as it has for everyone else!

carolinaberry
July 5th, 2012, 02:47 AM

Awesome! Roots are a great way to see progress. I dyed my hair this past Sunday and already have new growth!

carolinaberry
July 5th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I already use monistat for over a year. I'm having to re grow some of my hair I started re growing it the first day of the month. I will try to put pictures up.
Where are your pictures? You and I post on a lot of the same threads and I've wanted to see your hair for a while!

Sassy9226
July 5th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I'm in. Maybe this will help me get to waist length faster. I want to blow people away at my wedding.

mojavewolf1
July 5th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I am in on the monistat !! I started a thread on my Monistat for one month experiment!!!

I have not had any side effects either except maybe some slight itchiness..not bad..

But I don't think the itchiness is from the monistat.

I am not afraid of this product because we put it up inside of us in our bodies....a lot different then putting it on the scalp..

This could be someones ideal of a big joke of putting choochie creme on our heads ....Maybe someone wants to see how many of us will do it and the laugh is on them.

But I don't care I am going for it!!
I started last Sunday,just applied my second application last night...I don't think you need to wash it out unless your hair looks greasy..

I used warm water with monistat the first time and yesterday I applied straight from the tube..

Happy Growing..Hope we all get the growth we want to see !

mckenzie
July 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Anybody had any good results so far?? I must admit I'm a complete failure at this. First I notice no growth whatsoever. Then I get lazy for the past week, and have not applied even once. To top it off I just cut approx. half inch of my length(hopefully not much more)
So, yeah, this challenge is not going great so far.... :(

So, for the record, I'm starting from today, July 6th. I will measure my hair, and put in stats as soon as I get around to it..

Happy growing to everybody else... ;)

Silverbrumby
July 6th, 2012, 09:18 PM
My growth since March (ok, I'm not in the challenge) has been from 23 inches to 25 in July. That's 4 months. Good luck folks. It seems to work really well for fast growth for some.

LaceyNg
July 6th, 2012, 10:39 PM
i'm in too! although i know i'm a month late..... i've been using it for a week so far-- 3 applications as of yesterday. (i'll take some pics tomorrow!)

it'll be neat to see everybody's comparison's pics in december!

maborosi
July 6th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I have to admire everyone's dedication taking this challenge! I'll be watching this thread to maybe decide if I might want to take the challenge some time!

Good luck everyone! ^^

~maborosi~

momoftwo708
July 7th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Been using every other day can't wait till the 26th that would be my month to post a pic and c the difference I never measure hair or took photos I'm anxious to see the difference my hair looks more thicker than two weeks ago I do coconut oil overnight along with other things vitamins etc and Monistat:)

afu
July 7th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I've been a bit rubbish with this and only applied 3 times in 2 weeks, however since using it i seem to have developed an itchy scalp (ive never had scalp issues before), monistat (daktarin) is the only thing to have changed in my routine :s has anyone else had this problem?

Sassy9226
July 7th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Ok, so I did my first application last night, luckily I didn't get a head ache.

But I have a question, I dyed my hair with a semi-perminant dye two days ago, and I woke up this morning and it looks like I have roots?
Does anybody know if monistat can strip hair dye??

mojavewolf1
July 7th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I'm in my hair been long for 5 years straight
Last two years I never trim and always dyes now two months till my
Wedding my hair broke off had it cut which look great month later it looks awful
Still thick on top so many short layers looks like my bottom longer hair is a few strands
I'm beyond depressed I'm prob at beginning of bsl not sure if that what
Upper bra strap is bsl or apl but ya my hair was wsl and crumbled up to wheee I'm at just scared of what happen when I was 16 from bleach my hair fall out to my ears
I even Had bald spot I'm done w dying hair. I am doing olive oil egg treatments and now started monistat and I also take biotin and prenatal vitamins so hopefully by september my hair grows atleast 2 inches
I noticed growth at my front hairline taking GNC hair nails and skin..I started monistat last Sunday...I want to do it 3 times a week...I missed a day so I am doing it tonight and tomorrow...

momoftwo708
July 7th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I been doing every other other I'm glad I found lhc for the past 2 weeks I been taking good care of my hair and I already see a difference

Indigostreams
July 7th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I was applying Monistat allover my scalp everyday for about a month, but gave up due to not seeing dramatic results. But I will join this challenge, applying it just to my bangs. Also, I am growing out my natural colored hair, so I should really be able to tell if anything is happening.

Veaslea93
July 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM
So been applying this since Tuesday, and I have baby hairs sprouting up all over the place!! :) :) Going to re-measure next Tuesday to see if theres any extra length!

momoftwo708
July 7th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Here is a week and half photo update dunno if there much difference the first photo is today and the next w the lighter hair is from week and half ago my hair today has coconut oil in it that I can't get out lol u can see my messed up layers also

http://i50.tinypic.com/16a35p5.jpg
Will take another photo end of this month

mojavewolf1
July 7th, 2012, 03:08 PM

I started monistat last Sunday ,so far I have applied twice ,goal is 3 times a week...So tonight I am applying again and tomorrow...I didnt wash it out...My question is this: What is the best way to measure growth? I was just going to put my after monistat month pic up next to the pic when I started.
But is there a better way...I do not think I can count on my roots because they are salt and pepper roots,not solid,so it is hard to tell if I am growing that way. any suggestions?

mojavewolf1
July 7th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Been using every other day can't wait till the 26th that would be my month to post a pic and c the difference I never measure hair or took photos I'm anxious to see the difference my hair looks more thicker than two weeks ago I do coconut oil overnight along with other things vitamins etc and Monistat:)

Do you apply your coconut oil with the monistat?

mojavewolf1
July 7th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Here is a week and half photo update dunno if there much difference the first photo is today and the next w the lighter hair is from week and half ago my hair today has coconut oil in it that I can't get out lol u can see my messed up layers also

http://i50.tinypic.com/16a35p5.jpg
Will take another photo end of this month

The hair on the left looks longer ..Is this your after pic?

momoftwo708
July 7th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Yes the left is from today the longer hair

mojavewolf1
July 7th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Yes the left is from today the longer hair

Your hair grew that much in a week and a half?! Hope mine does..Its been a week tomorrow....WOW..Makes me more excited about the monistat..:agree:

mckenzie
July 7th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I will definitely give it a real shot this time, and apply at least every other day.
Hopefully I will se an increase in growth, especially now since I cut my hair back at least 1/2 inch.

momoftwo708
July 7th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I don't even see it until I took a photo I'm doing Monistar every other day my layers r short and make my longer hair unnoticeable so I'm trying to grow ASAP lol

firevegan
July 8th, 2012, 02:23 AM
-Just so everyone knows.

Your hair will NOT grow if you use any kind of bleach or chemical dyes. I don't even think monistat can help this. I did a 3 month growth experiment. One month I used sulfer and biotin scrubs on the scalp, One month I bleached my hair only once. One month I did nothing.

Sulfer/biotin month- 1 inch (I think we have a better solution for growth though. Read below)
Bleach month- absolutely nothing
Month I left hair alone-regular half an inch

THIS month, I am nearing 2 extra inches of hair. That would be the course of this challenge. I am starting to suspect my growth might also be coming from henna because I've henna'd twice in 20 days and my hair is growing so fast. The new growth picture I had up before has doubled since then and it hasn't even been 2 weeks.

Then again I could very well be wrong... It might be the monistat. ^_^

What do you ladies think? Is it working? I get sprouts of hair 24 hours after each treatment.
Is this magic??

mojavewolf1- How I measure: I find a little hair piece, and it's right next to my bangs on the right side. I take it and stretch it down as far as it can go and mark where it goes in a pic, and just take a new pic of the same strand every month. I call it my peak. I'm weird though. So maybe you should use a measuring tape. =p

pink.sara
July 8th, 2012, 04:38 AM
-Just so everyone knows.

Your hair will NOT grow if you use any kind of bleach or chemical dyes. I don't even think monistat can help this. I did a 3 month growth experiment. One month I used sulfer and biotin scrubs on the scalp, One month I bleached my hair only once. One month I did nothing.

Sulfer/biotin month- 1 inch (I think we have a better solution for growth though. Read below)

THIS month, I am nearing 2 extra inches of hair. That would be the course of this challenge. I am starting to suspect my growth might also be coming from henna because I've henna'd twice in 20 days and my hair is growing so fast. The new growth picture I had up before has doubled since then and it hasn't even been 2 weeks.

What do you ladies think? Is it working? I get sprouts of hair 24 hours after each treatment.

No offence intended but this is absolutely not true.

YOUR hair may not grow if you use bleach. Other peoples does.

There are hundreds of people on this forum who use bleach regularly and still have hair that grows.
Unless you are destroying the follicle even on scalp bleach will only affect hair that has passed from the follicle through the skin.

Also if this were true the fat streak on the side of my head I have kept bleached white for the past decade or so wouldn't grow.... but it clearly does.

Also the rest of my hair in the past 3 years has been left natural for a year, then hennaed for 8 months then back to permanent peroxide containing chemical dye and not once during this period has it grown faster/slower than the streak kept separate.

I even have monistat pictures in an album showing the black roots on my bleached streak after a month of use.

You cant just go making sweeping statements that "if you bleach your hair wont grow" as you'll no doubt terrify some newbie!

afu
July 8th, 2012, 04:43 AM
-Just so everyone knows.

Your hair will NOT grow if you use any kind of bleach or chemical dyes.

I can tell you now that your first statement is simply not true! I use bleach, lots of other LHC'ers use bleach, and many more use dye and it does not stop growth. I've been using bleach for 3 years, my hair was at shoulder length when i started and now it's almost at waist (it has been cut within that time too). 3 months is nowehere near long enough for an experiment of this kind, it isn't unusual to get grwoth variation/stunts/spurts from month to month.

Also If you did have a temporary stunt (the bleach month) it is normal for that to be followed by a spurt (now). monistat or henna may be helping, but it also may just be a natural phase

mojavewolf1
July 8th, 2012, 01:20 PM
-Just so everyone knows.

Is this magic??

mojavewolf1- How I measure: I find a little hair piece, and it's right next to my bangs on the right side. I take it and stretch it down as far as it can go and mark where it goes in a pic, and just take a new pic of the same strand every month. I call it my peak. I'm weird though. So maybe you should use a measuring tape. =p

I like weird...so that will work...Thank you

guns1969
July 8th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Count me in for this challenge! I'm all for longer, healthier hair. I have used MN in the past and had good growth but I haven't used any for a few months now. Back to using it once a week. How are you all mixing yours?

firevegan
July 8th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Obviously your hair will grow (quite slowly) despite the damaging chemicals you are using.

However, if you are doing the monistat challenge or other hair growth challenges and want FAST growth, and you're using bleach and dye, then don't count on it! It will grow quite slow especially if you are watching it as closely as we all are.

afu
July 9th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Obviously your hair will grow (quite slowly) despite the damaging chemicals you are using.

However, if you are doing the monistat challenge or other hair growth challenges and want FAST growth, and you're using bleach and dye, then don't count on it! It will grow quite slow especially if you are watching it as closely as we all are.

A lot of people using moistat as well as dye/bleach have actually seen very fast growth, especially as it is extremely easy to see growth progress when you have roots! My roots are currently at the sort of length i would usually have them touched up at 9-10 weeks, and it has only been 6 weeks

pink.sara
July 9th, 2012, 06:03 AM

Wow, Seriously?

So you tried one thing a month for 3 months and declared your results to be applicable to all dye users?

I state again... I have pictures of MN use on bleached and natural hair, in a clear left right divide, on the same head at the same time, there is NO growth difference.
I used this for 4 months on 2 weeks off for the whole of 2009.
This by your reasoning would have caused the left side of my hair to be significantly shorter than the right. It is not.

Now I apologise for shouting at you.
But you are very, very wrong in your assertions and have absolutely no reasoning or back up behind them at all.

3 months doing 3 different things does not an experiment make.

hairstuck
July 9th, 2012, 06:31 AM
This project is interesting.

Pics, people. :)

Hm... how could growth be tallied and compared to pre-Monistat and during Monistat?

Veaslea93
July 9th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Just re-measured my hair.. And after using Daktarin for a week undiluted I have gone from 17'' to 18''!! :) :) Woop love this stuff, think I'm going to try using it every other day instead of everyday though as I've gotten through one tube really rather quickly!

mckenzie
July 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Just re-measured my hair.. And after using Daktarin for a week undiluted I have gone from 17'' to 18''!! :) :) Woop love this stuff, think I'm going to try using it every other day instead of everyday though as I've gotten through one tube really rather quickly!

wow, that's pretty amazing. So many of you here seem to have this insane growth already. Just not me :(

Veaslea93
July 9th, 2012, 02:42 PM
wow, that's pretty amazing. So many of you here seem to have this insane growth already. Just not me :(

How have you been applying it? I've been using mine straight from the tube undiluted, but has given me the odd slight headache, nothing major though. Although some people have had results from diluting it first, maybe try doing it undiluted to see if that works for you?

mojavewolf1
July 9th, 2012, 05:06 PM
[quote=pink.sara;2203683]Wow, Seriously?

So you tried one thing a month for 3 months and declared your results to be applicable to all dye users?

I state again... I have pictures of MN use on bleached and natural hair, in a clear left right divide, on the same head at the same time, there is NO growth difference.
I used this for 4 months on 2 weeks off for the whole of 2009.
This by your reasoning would have caused the left side of my hair to be significantly shorter than the right. It is not.

Now I apologise for shouting at you.
But you are very, very wrong in your assertions and have absolutely no reasoning or back up behind them at all.

3 months doing 3 different things does not an experiment make.[/quo
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/Pamelabonilla/Women/th_hairsitepics009.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/Pamelabonilla/Women/?action=view&current=hairsitepics009.jpg)

Your hair is gorgeous! How did you get that color of red? I have dark hair and that Red is Beautiful!! Thanks for speaking up on this subject because I was wondering if there was a difference when you color...I do not plan on coloring my greys until I am finished with my month long experiment with monistat....But then I am still thinking of going natural....I guess I am getting older but I think the grey is pretty now!

mckenzie
July 9th, 2012, 05:17 PM
How have you been applying it? I've been using mine straight from the tube undiluted, but has given me the odd slight headache, nothing major though. Although some people have had results from diluting it first, maybe try doing it undiluted to see if that works for you?

Yeah, I have been diluting, figured that would be easier. I'll give it a try undiluted from now on. Thanks :)

pink.sara
July 10th, 2012, 11:58 AM
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/Pamelabonilla/Women/th_hairsitepics009.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/Pamelabonilla/Women/?action=view&current=hairsitepics009.jpg)

Your hair is gorgeous! How did you get that color of red? I have dark hair and that Red is Beautiful!! Thanks for speaking up on this subject because I was wondering if there was a difference when you color...I do not plan on coloring my greys until I am finished with my month long experiment with monistat....But then I am still thinking of going natural....I guess I am getting older but I think the grey is pretty now!

Thanks Mojavewolf, unfortunately it's a ton of bleach then crazy colour deposit only dye to get me to this red colour.
The monistat affects my growth whether I've bleached, dyed, hennaed or left it natural so I might get back on the band wagon for a bit :)

afu
July 10th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I just had my roots done today so I'll start monistating properly (as in remembering to do it every couple of days!) after my interview on thursday (you know, because I wouldn't want to apply it today and get crazy roots in 2 days time, haha). Will make sure I take some decent root pictures before starting

maborosi
July 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Actually, after nearly 2 years of chemical dyeing (and a lot of bleaching), my hair grew at the same rate as it does today- it's just that now I don't have to trim very often because I don't damage it as much. ^^

~maborosi~

hanne jensen
July 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I'd like to join this challenge if it's o.k. I've used Mn off and on for the past 2 years. I've been taking a break since April and my hair is shedding like crazy. I'm starting Mn to stimulate my scalp into coughing up some new hairs and because I'm a measly 2 centimeters from waist. I applied Mn yesterday and will apply again tomorrow.

mckenzie
July 11th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I'd like to join this challenge if it's o.k. I've used Mn off and on for the past 2 years. I've been taking a break since April and my hair is shedding like crazy. I'm starting Mn to stimulate my scalp into coughing up some new hairs and because I'm a measly 2 centimeters from waist. I applied Mn yesterday and will apply again tomorrow.

hi, & welcome to the challenge ;)
Do you find that your hair grows much faster with Mn? (see that you have been on off for 2 years?)

TopazGirl
July 11th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Hi all, I'd like to join the challenge! My hair grows extremely slow on its own, so anything that could speed it up sounds great to me. I've been taking Biotin and prenatal vitamins for at least six months with no true results. I picked up my monistat today and am going to take a before picture and do my first application in a bit. Fingers crossed!

onthegrow
July 11th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Hi! I'd like to join in as well. I've been using it every other day for a couple weeks now. Trying to grow out my short cut. I haven't measured, but I have noticed more fullness. I dilute mine and apply with an applicator bottle.

Silverbrumby
July 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM

Has your ponytail circumference changed since you stopped using it in APril?

Using monistat since March with only 1/2 inch of growth per month on average.

mckenzie
July 11th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Has your ponytail circumference changed since you stopped using it in APril?

Using monistat since March with only 1/2 inch of growth per month on average.

What was your average growth before Monistat?

Silverbrumby
July 11th, 2012, 09:56 PM
What was your average growth before Monistat?

Great question.

On the 27th of May it was 23.75

On the 6th of July it went to 25.

I noticed my hair felt stalled after my big chop of three inches back to 23 inches in length on 23rd of March 2012. It only grew to 23.75 by the 27th of May 2012. 0.75 gain in total for 6 weeks. Maybe that is ok.

From May 27th to July 6th it grew 1.25 inches. Woot! that's 6 weeks growth and over an inch. Thanks for asking the question. I've had a definite jump in growth. Maybe it's the monistat, maybe its the Whey I started 4 weeks ago.

My only conclusion from keeping such detailed records on the google calendar is that my hair grows in spurts. I didn't feel the monistat started on March 1st helped in those first few months.

There has been less shedding and the actual hairs growing out seem to be thicker.

mckenzie
July 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Silverbrumby - Thanks for your answer! I've been measuring since I started Monistat, and have seen no growth. I'm puzzled by this, because normally my hair grows slightly over 1/2 inch a month. I really never measured more than every couple months or so in the past, so I'm starting to think my hair grows in spurts also. I'm at least hoping this is the case.

Silverbrumby
July 11th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Silverbrumby - Thanks for your answer! I've been measuring since I started Monistat, and have seen no growth. I'm puzzled by this, because normally my hair grows slightly over 1/2 inch a month. I really never measured more than every couple months or so in the past, so I'm starting to think my hair grows in spurts also. I'm at least hoping this is the case.

When I started this the same happened to me. A stall for about 4 plus weeks.

Ambystoma
July 11th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Just checking in on this challenge, I've had just under 1cm in the last 10 days, probably around 8mm or so - putting me at a rate of ~1" per month so either I'm slowing down or I'm a spurt grower like a lot of folks on this page. Part of me thinks I shouldn't measure so often, but then the science minded part of me finds it so interesting! I'll be posting a progress a photo on the 2nd of August and the 2nd of every month until Christmas - hoping for solid WL as my present! (or even hip if I'm lucky :) )

Veaslea93
July 18th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Started challenge 2nd July at 17'', measured on the 9th July at 18'', measured again today at 18.5'' .. So that's 1.5 inches in two weeks! Woo

momoftwo708
July 18th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Wow, I haven't really measured I try as I get different numbers I first got 23 then 25 not sure if my hair grew that much i don't see or notice due to my thick short layers ugh

mckenzie
July 18th, 2012, 12:07 PM
July 7th I measured in at 22.5 after a trim. I just measured last night (17th), and I'm at 23.
I feel really good about that, especially since it seemed my growth had stalled for a few weeks.

Ambystoma
July 19th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Yay, another 1cm since the 12th! I think this puts me at ~1mm/day which makes sense,since that's the rate the rest of my (unwanted) hair and nails seems to grow at.

momoftwo708
July 19th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I been measuring last week and was at 23 now my thin strands are around 24 not sure if I'm measuring right I will just post a photo on the 26

mojavewolf1
July 19th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I been measuring last week and was at 23 now my thin strands are around 24 not sure if I'm measuring right I will just post a photo on the 26

How do you measure? I have been doing monistat since July 1st...Im not sure yet if I have grown or not..I was just going to take a picture and compare it..But maybe I should measure??:eyebrows:

Nymfora
July 19th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Well thought I'd post in on how it's going for me. I will post some pics as well. For me I have a section at the top in front that is thinning/balding and since I moved to my new place in dec 2011 my stress has gone down and I did notice new growth. I've also had my blood works done 2 weeks ago and everything is good :D So I decided to give this a go.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj553/Nymfora/IMAG0182.jpg
This is the day before I started June 28. (sry for the big pic lol)

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj553/Nymfora/IMAG0196.jpg

And this is the pic I took today July 19. I have been noticing alittle difference and so has my DH. I have been using it on this spot about every day to every other day. So far no side affects really, the odd headache here and there but thats nothing unusual for me lol.

ETA: Sorry for the big pics, also these were very hard for me to post as I really don't like anyone seeing it and I realize that it's partially my fault when I was younger with my tight ponytails. Since I joined this site I have seen a huge improvement in my hair and I'm feeling a bit more confident with my hair and hopefully by the end of this year the spot will be filled in, one can hope.

mckenzie
July 19th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Nymfora- I think your second pic shows definite improvement, I'm so happy for you!
I can understand that it must take a lot to post pictures of something you normally would not like to put focus on, but It's great that you can share and track progress :)

Nymfora
July 19th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Thank you mckenzie. It is hard to show ppl something that I try very hard to hide. I gues seeing as it's right in the front it makes it even harder for me to hide as I can't do alot of hairstyles without having to adjust them so I can cover this thinning area. It is very nice that I can post here and read other posts that have been helping and hearing from everyone here with their awsome tips. :happydance:

~ I so love the little dancing smile guy lol

mckenzie
July 19th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Thank you mckenzie. It is hard to show ppl something that I try very hard to hide. I gues seeing as it's right in the front it makes it even harder for me to hide as I can't do alot of hairstyles without having to adjust them so I can cover this thinning area. It is very nice that I can post here and read other posts that have been helping and hearing from everyone here with their awsome tips. :happydance:

~ I so love the little dancing smile guy lol

I love getting advice & tips from here, too! Great that your blood work came out good!

jojo89
August 2nd, 2012, 10:35 AM
carolinaberry- your tattoo makes it so easy to see how much growth you got, looks awesome!
I'm in too, about a month late, but I am new here and just started Monistat end of July. I've used it at least 3 times now and plan to continue. I'm also taking "Hair, Skin And Nails" vitamins and started co-washing.

KhiraLi
August 2nd, 2012, 04:19 PM
I just applied 2% monistat for the first time and can't say I feel any headaches, tingeling sensations etc. Do you feel anything after applying it? I used 50/50 with coconut oil but it didn't mix at all with the oil. Next time I will try water or just apply it directly.

Ligeia_13
August 2nd, 2012, 04:34 PM

Wow, an inch in a week? :bigeyes: holy crap.

jojo89
August 3rd, 2012, 10:48 AM
I get headaches all the time so it's hard to say if it causes them for me. I haven't noticed any bad headaches or tingles. I want my head to tingle actually so I'm going to apply it tonight undiluted and see if that happens. The tingling will be like a placebo effect for me haha

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
I get headaches all the time so it's hard to say if it causes them for me. I haven't noticed any bad headaches or tingles. I want my head to tingle actually so I'm going to apply it tonight undiluted and see if that happens. The tingling will be like a placebo effect for me haha
I know that feeling! I added tea tree oil in my monistat. It is seriously tingley. Its great, you should try :)

jojo89
August 3rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
I've been meaning to try tea tree oil for about a month! I passed it up cuz it was almost $12 for a small bottle. I'm def. gonna get it if I find it cheaper. I'll try Walmart.

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
I've been meaning to try tea tree oil for about a month! I passed it up cuz it was almost $12 for a small bottle. I'm def. gonna get it if I find it cheaper. I'll try Walmart.
I am not sure if they would have it or not. Just make sure that you get only 100% tea tree.
At grocery stores...if they have a little mexican section there's usually teatree there. Or a section in the medication/vitamin isle with weird random things from out of the country, or just hard to find items that aren't on normal shelves. Pretty cheap. Theyre in small glass bottles. I found my SAO in the same place. They look like this: http://www.dlclabs.com/Sidebar/miscellaneous.htm And look at that. On that page of their misc. products...there is tea tree oil.

jojo89
August 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Mexican section..lol thx I'll keep my eye out.

Silverbrumby
August 3rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Nymfora, I also found my temples filled in and my hair thickness increased. Have been using it since March 2012. The individual hairs seem thicker but at first I did get a lot of fine hair which eventually got thicker.

Ambystoma
August 3rd, 2012, 08:49 PM
Yay, August update!

Please excuse my terrible shot here, I took so many photos and this is the only one that came out remotely ok, since I can't see what I'm shooting with my stupid phone.

1 month ago: Today:

http://i.imgur.com/g2cFHl.jpg http://i.imgur.com/9CUR8l.jpg

I think the side shots are a bit better :o

1 month ago: Today:

http://i.imgur.com/aIQrXl.jpg http://i.imgur.com/p6Zoxl.jpg

It's hard to compare because of the waves, so I've started stretching the longest bit, I can just hit the top of my belt with it pulled straight, so I'd say I've had just over an inch :)

edit: that short bit on the one side is because I was wearing a deep side part that day, I might stop doing that until my old fringe catches up, it looks chewed on!

jojo89
August 23rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
I give up. Not seeing any results.

Silverbrumby
August 23rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
I haven't had any 'fast' growth but if it's helping with the shedding issues and filling in my hair issues I'm sticking to it.